Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
White City Dogs 12:40 - Jul 14 with 1983 viewsMrSheen

A friend of mine wants to write about his father, who was an Irish greyhound trainer before the war and used to bring dogs to London. Does anyone know of any books on greyhound history or good people to get in touch with? Thanks for any leads.
White City Dogs on 12:45 - Jul 14 with 1958 viewsnadera78

"Thanks for any leads."

Was that deliberate?
White City Dogs on 12:50 - Jul 14 with 1941 viewsMrSheen

White City Dogs on 12:45 - Jul 14 by nadera78

"Thanks for any leads."

Was that deliberate?

Just wanted to set some hares running. It wasn't actually!
White City Dogs on 12:55 - Jul 14 with 1921 viewsnadera78

White City Dogs on 12:50 - Jul 14 by MrSheen

Just wanted to set some hares running. It wasn't actually!

Thought it was too good for a Rooster. Never out of the traps that quick.
White City Dogs on 12:56 - Jul 14 with 1909 viewsMrSheen

White City Dogs on 12:55 - Jul 14 by nadera78

Thought it was too good for a Rooster. Never out of the traps that quick.

Have you got over Origin yet? Like watching the 2008 World Cup Poms, pitiful.
White City Dogs on 16:56 - Jul 14 with 1748 viewsnadera78

White City Dogs on 12:56 - Jul 14 by MrSheen

Have you got over Origin yet? Like watching the 2008 World Cup Poms, pitiful.

Only saw highlights of game 3. Generally I go for Queensland in Origin, purely because I like to see Phil Gould upset when one of his teams lose. He really winds me up - knows absolutely nothing (and cares even less) about RL outside of NSW, in fact outside of Sydney but carries on regardless.

But, yes, from the highlights the cockroaches bore a remarkable resemblance to many, many GB/England teams down the years.
White City Dogs on 17:57 - Jul 14 with 1701 viewsHayesender

Plenty of dogs in the springbok

Poll: Shamima Beghum

White City Dogs on 19:12 - Jul 14 with 1616 viewsjohncharles

Be a good name for a band that.

Strong and stable my arse.

White City Dogs on 20:14 - Jul 14 with 1546 viewsNoDiddley

Stan Bowles spend most of his Saturday nights there but he's unfortunately out of action at the moment. I used to go regularly in the 70s/80s & could tell a tale but not pre war!
Login to get fewer ads

White City Dogs on 22:10 - Jul 14 with 1462 viewsMrSheen

White City Dogs on 20:14 - Jul 14 by NoDiddley

Stan Bowles spend most of his Saturday nights there but he's unfortunately out of action at the moment. I used to go regularly in the 70s/80s & could tell a tale but not pre war!

I read on Wikipedia that the olympic swimming pool for 1908 was inside the running track at White City. I had visions of hammers and discuses plopping into the water and officials swimming out to float little markers close to where they went in.
White City Dogs on 22:24 - Jul 14 with 1443 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

My dad used to work at the dog track back in de jour, pre Iraq war perhaps and maybe during 'nam..! He had a few stories about some of the regulars, mainly sad stories of life wasted but a few more colourful with the mix of characters - police and crims shoulder to shoulder as the person controlling the hare made it speed up/slow down if the right dog wasn't in front..! PM me if you want to know more and I shall ask my dad but imagine you're after earlier stuff.
White City Dogs on 23:55 - Jul 14 with 1377 viewsTearsOfaClown

If your friend deletes just one word he will have a best seller . . .

From
"A friend of mine wants to write about his father, who was an Irish greyhound trainer before the war and used to bring dogs to London.

To
"A friend of mine wants to write about his father, who was an Irish greyhound before the war and used to bring dogs to London."
White City Dogs on 08:04 - Jul 15 with 1304 viewsbatmanhoop

my brother got hooked on gambling at a very early age and badgered the old man to take him to the White City. Living in Batman Close at the time the temptation was too easy. You will never win at the dogs and those who think you can are kidding themselves. Another Batman resident (a good mate) sister married the guy who was manager at the White City, then Wimbledon and has just retired at Belle Vue
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024