Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Phoning the tax office... 17:25 - Jul 23 with 6903 viewsscottishjack

Been sat here for over 30 minutes listening to some lovely pre-recorded music...bored to tears, so I thought I would just post this...

Anyone else had to contact the tax office lately? Had to answer some questions repeatedly to some sort of voice recognition thing which took forever, and now this! It's just to resolve an emergency tax code! Surely these days I could have just done this online?

Phoning the tax office... on 17:28 - Jul 23 with 5041 viewsperchrockjack

Yep and to be honest they were ok apart from the Asian lady s accent.

I was ready for a Ulster accent and it was kinda shocking.

Try alternative numbers

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Phoning the tax office... on 17:28 - Jul 23 with 5037 viewsJoe_bradshaw

You can. My code was wrong and I used the online form a few months ago. It was sorted to my satisfaction in under 48 hours.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Phoning the tax office... on 17:29 - Jul 23 with 5033 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 17:28 - Jul 23 by perchrockjack

Yep and to be honest they were ok apart from the Asian lady s accent.

I was ready for a Ulster accent and it was kinda shocking.

Try alternative numbers

I've reached the point where I just can't hang up...any minute now!
Phoning the tax office... on 17:30 - Jul 23 with 5029 viewsmonmouth

It's the cuts innit. I just sort all mine out at the year end online these days. Mind you I always owe the bastards so I'm happy for them to wait.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Phoning the tax office... on 17:32 - Jul 23 with 5011 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 17:28 - Jul 23 by Joe_bradshaw

You can. My code was wrong and I used the online form a few months ago. It was sorted to my satisfaction in under 48 hours.

I tried that last month but no joy, decided I would be better off speaking to someone, been on emergency tax code for over 3 months now. Not the end of the world, but still something I would rather get sorted.
Phoning the tax office... on 17:37 - Jul 23 with 5001 viewsmonmouth

Phoning the tax office... on 17:32 - Jul 23 by scottishjack

I tried that last month but no joy, decided I would be better off speaking to someone, been on emergency tax code for over 3 months now. Not the end of the world, but still something I would rather get sorted.

Are you phoning your actual tax office rather than some crap central number. I've always got through in seconds, but the last time was a few years ago.

Phoning the tax office... on 17:38 - Jul 23 with 4993 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 17:37 - Jul 23 by monmouth

Are you phoning your actual tax office rather than some crap central number. I've always got through in seconds, but the last time was a few years ago.

An 0300 number...? The number that work gave me to call...not giving up now, open till 8 apparently...
Phoning the tax office... on 17:55 - Jul 23 with 4974 viewsscottishjack

42 f**king minutes on the phone waiting and they just cut the f**king call!!!
Login to get fewer ads

Phoning the tax office... on 17:55 - Jul 23 with 4972 viewsmonmouth

Phoning the tax office... on 17:38 - Jul 23 by scottishjack

An 0300 number...? The number that work gave me to call...not giving up now, open till 8 apparently...

Better to check your payslip or coding notice. It should give you your tax office location and number. I think mine was a Cardiff number although I could be misremembering. Also always check out 'say no to 0870' site for free numbers.

Phoning the tax office... on 18:10 - Jul 23 with 4955 viewsBanosswan

They sent my wife a demand for payment (which she paid two years ago) and when she tried to contact the number they gave, it doesn't work. She rang the main helpdesk who said sometime will contact her within five working days. Two weeks later, a letter apologising for the wrong number and giving a new number (signed by hand by the signatory). Went through to some arsy woman who said that it was the wrong number and what is she supposed to do. Eventually she said someone will contact you in five working days. This was a week last Friday. All the while, the account is accruing interest (that doesn't really matter as she owes nothing, but imagine she did).

My mother's an accountant and sadly, this is par for the course.

Ever since my son was... never conceived, because I've never had consensual sex without money involved... I've always kind of looked at you as... a thing, that I could live next to... in accordance with state laws.
Poll: How do you like your steak?

Phoning the tax office... on 18:24 - Jul 23 with 4936 viewsPacemaker

All HMRC numbers are on the 0300 numbers now. Had some dealings recently not very impressed.

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Phoning the tax office... on 18:29 - Jul 23 with 4922 viewshobo

Took me 55 minutes a couple of weeks ago
Phoning the tax office... on 18:36 - Jul 23 with 4916 viewsmonmouth

Phoning the tax office... on 18:24 - Jul 23 by Pacemaker

All HMRC numbers are on the 0300 numbers now. Had some dealings recently not very impressed.

That will inevitably make things worse then.

Phoning the tax office... on 18:42 - Jul 23 with 4899 viewsDarran

C*nts fined me £100 because they reckon my returns were late,I'm appealing it though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Phoning the tax office... on 20:05 - Jul 23 with 4834 viewsPhil_S

We had a bill for £500 from them as they said they had overpaid our child benefits etc

I rang to say I couldn't pay in one hit and wanted to adjust my tax code so she said it would be better to pay via an overdraft or a credit card

The letter of complaint is still not resolved as I am not sure she was qualified to give that kind of advice and she couldn't grasp it when I started to explain how much interest and charges that would apply to a debt and that taking debt to pay off debt was never a bright thing to do and was the first step towards bankruptcy in many cases
Phoning the tax office... on 21:02 - Jul 23 with 4795 viewsPacemaker

Phoning the tax office... on 20:05 - Jul 23 by Phil_S

We had a bill for £500 from them as they said they had overpaid our child benefits etc

I rang to say I couldn't pay in one hit and wanted to adjust my tax code so she said it would be better to pay via an overdraft or a credit card

The letter of complaint is still not resolved as I am not sure she was qualified to give that kind of advice and she couldn't grasp it when I started to explain how much interest and charges that would apply to a debt and that taking debt to pay off debt was never a bright thing to do and was the first step towards bankruptcy in many cases

I do a lot of work with HMRC and the experienced inspectors have gone and replaced by inexperienced call handlers.

If it's not on the script they can't deal with it, you have to feel for the staff they have not had the training and all they told to do is get the money in the coffers.

The annoying part for you Phil is that next year they will say that you have overpaid and try to give it back, my Mrs has this farce for five years until I went to the tax office in Swansea caused a scene and ended up speaking to an experienced inspector all sorted and no contact since.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 21:05]

Phoning the tax office... on 21:13 - Jul 23 with 4772 viewsDarran

Phoning the tax office... on 20:05 - Jul 23 by Phil_S

My son had one of those letters.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Phoning the tax office... on 21:13 - Jul 23 with 4772 viewsexiledclaseboy

By 2020 if you only have to wait 55mins to get through to a government call centre you'll be pretty pleased I reckon.

Poll: Tory leader

Phoning the tax office... on 21:27 - Jul 23 with 4748 viewsPacemaker

Phoning the tax office... on 21:13 - Jul 23 by exiledclaseboy

By 2020 if you only have to wait 55mins to get through to a government call centre you'll be pretty pleased I reckon.

By then we will be all "digitally engaged" ie it will be all internet self service and no human contact whatsoever.

As a result of the cuts we have already had most successful departments are as lean as they can be so the only cost savings left are people.

Which in itself will save money as everyone will be self sufficient with no welfare state to support so no reason to contact them

Phoning the tax office... on 22:10 - Jul 23 with 4705 viewsAquinas

Sent off a form for my tax rebate on 5th May.

Got the money in 2 months later.

Initially I tried to phone the office but I could never get through so I just sent off a form which i downloaded online and they did the rest.
Phoning the tax office... on 22:34 - Jul 23 with 4690 viewslonglostjack

The missus is Swedish and she had to phone up the tax office in Helsingborg- she was given the number of the person who was dealing with the case. He'd put his calls through to his mobile and she did have to wait - but only long enough for him to pull over as he was driving. Ruthlessly efficient - not always when you want them to be though !

Poll: Alcohol in the lockdown

Phoning the tax office... on 23:07 - Jul 23 with 4662 viewsPhil_S

Phoning the tax office... on 21:02 - Jul 23 by Pacemaker

I do a lot of work with HMRC and the experienced inspectors have gone and replaced by inexperienced call handlers.

If it's not on the script they can't deal with it, you have to feel for the staff they have not had the training and all they told to do is get the money in the coffers.

The annoying part for you Phil is that next year they will say that you have overpaid and try to give it back, my Mrs has this farce for five years until I went to the tax office in Swansea caused a scene and ended up speaking to an experienced inspector all sorted and no contact since.
[Post edited 23 Jul 2015 21:05]

I'm not sure she knew where to go when I asked to speak to a manager.

"We have a 48 hour service standard for speaking to a manager Mr Sumbler"

To which I gave my stock reply "I have a 72 hour service standard for the same so can they ring me the day after please"
Phoning the tax office... on 06:50 - Jul 24 with 4565 viewsPacemaker

Phoning the tax office... on 23:07 - Jul 23 by Phil_S

I'm not sure she knew where to go when I asked to speak to a manager.

"We have a 48 hour service standard for speaking to a manager Mr Sumbler"

To which I gave my stock reply "I have a 72 hour service standard for the same so can they ring me the day after please"

Ha ha ha the computer would not have liked that.

Phoning the tax office... on 10:38 - Jul 24 with 4513 viewsexhmrc1

as someone who worked for the tax office for 35 years may I try to shed some light on the problem. My first 30 or so years there were fine but since the merger with Vat the place has become a shambles. They decided last June to close all tax enquiry offices on the guise they were not needed and people were able to deal over the telephone. They remove people from contact centres to use for compliance co it is little wonder there are now poblems. An ex-colleague of minespent 75 minutes getting through a couple of weeks ago. It is partly a result of government cuts ut also a totally inept management. Dont blame the staff they are totall frustrated by this. As has been said many are leaving (10 left between Dec and April in Swansea alone) and the training for the newer staff is totally inadequate. Matters are only going to get worse. HMRC has closed offices in Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Llanelli Bridgend, Brecon, Merthyr, Pontypridd,Pontypool and Newport in the last few years and in the next few years will close Swansea and Wrexham. By 2020 they will have gone from an excess of 400 offices throughout Britain to 17 and the staff will have gone from 90000 to under 40000. No wonder there are problems but the politicians and HMRC management fail to acknowledge this. A couple of years ago I commented on how poor the service had become in Enquiry Centres. Staff were told to put people on phones or the net and the personal service had been eroded agaist the staff wishes. Iwas told by a manager how the service had actually IMPROVED due to the contact centres being open longer. Finally this is my first post here and please dont blame my ex colleagues. I have not yet met one of them who are happy and are all frustrated with the shambles HMRC is now
Phoning the tax office... on 10:45 - Jul 24 with 4507 viewsscottishjack

Phoning the tax office... on 10:38 - Jul 24 by exhmrc1

as someone who worked for the tax office for 35 years may I try to shed some light on the problem. My first 30 or so years there were fine but since the merger with Vat the place has become a shambles. They decided last June to close all tax enquiry offices on the guise they were not needed and people were able to deal over the telephone. They remove people from contact centres to use for compliance co it is little wonder there are now poblems. An ex-colleague of minespent 75 minutes getting through a couple of weeks ago. It is partly a result of government cuts ut also a totally inept management. Dont blame the staff they are totall frustrated by this. As has been said many are leaving (10 left between Dec and April in Swansea alone) and the training for the newer staff is totally inadequate. Matters are only going to get worse. HMRC has closed offices in Aberystwyth, Haverfordwest, Carmarthen, Llanelli Bridgend, Brecon, Merthyr, Pontypridd,Pontypool and Newport in the last few years and in the next few years will close Swansea and Wrexham. By 2020 they will have gone from an excess of 400 offices throughout Britain to 17 and the staff will have gone from 90000 to under 40000. No wonder there are problems but the politicians and HMRC management fail to acknowledge this. A couple of years ago I commented on how poor the service had become in Enquiry Centres. Staff were told to put people on phones or the net and the personal service had been eroded agaist the staff wishes. Iwas told by a manager how the service had actually IMPROVED due to the contact centres being open longer. Finally this is my first post here and please dont blame my ex colleagues. I have not yet met one of them who are happy and are all frustrated with the shambles HMRC is now

Thanks for that... I'm not knocking the people who work there (partly cause I still haven't managed to speak to anyone!), more a telephone system that kept me on hold for 45 minutes and then cut me off!

And welcome to the board!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024