Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mametz and The Swans 21:30 - Aug 14 with 10431 viewsLohengrin

I'm trying to float the idea of renaming the stadium next Summer; rededicating it would probably be a better description, just for the season, to commemorate the centenary of the Battle of Mametz Wood.

I'm sure that most of you already know this, but for those who don't, July 10th 2016 will be one hundred years to the day since the 38th (Welsh) Division went on the offensive at The Battle of The Somme. In the van were the 14th Bn Welsh Regiment - The Swansea Pals - comprised of young boys from Swansea, Neath and Aberavon. Of the 676 boys engaged in the assault over 400 were to become casualties by nightfall.

Consider the enormity of that. Barely a family in western Glamorgan remained untouched by the events of July 10th. We'd have all had relatives there on The Somme. During the inter-war years the anniversary was marked annually in Swansea Bay as Mametz Memorial Day, now as the centenary rolls around we have the opportunity to repay a debt of honour in full.

Any thoughts?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Mametz and The Swans on 21:38 - Aug 14 with 7594 viewsexiledclaseboy

Re-naming it permanently or temporarily as a tribute?

Poll: Tory leader

Mametz and The Swans on 21:38 - Aug 14 with 7590 viewsdickythorpe

An excellent idea and having read about Mametz some years ago and realising how many locals were involved I feel it would gain a lot of support.

Also it continues the theme of linking the Swans with its community, we've already seen the copper heritage and I'm sure gateway to gower was marketed in our first season in the prem.
Mametz and The Swans on 21:39 - Aug 14 with 7588 viewsJackfath

Mametz and The Swans on 21:38 - Aug 14 by exiledclaseboy

Re-naming it permanently or temporarily as a tribute?

HE said "just for the season".

FFS no wonder you were sacked as a mod.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Mametz and The Swans on 21:41 - Aug 14 with 7543 viewsexiledclaseboy

Mametz and The Swans on 21:39 - Aug 14 by Jackfath

HE said "just for the season".

FFS no wonder you were sacked as a mod.

Ok ok don't come over all Dr Winston on me. I skim read. In which case I heartily agree with the idea. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

Poll: Tory leader

Mametz and The Swans on 21:43 - Aug 14 with 7529 viewsLohengrin

Mametz and The Swans on 21:41 - Aug 14 by exiledclaseboy

Ok ok don't come over all Dr Winston on me. I skim read. In which case I heartily agree with the idea. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

There was no memorial to ex-players who fell in The Great War either until I started making waves. Sometimes all it takes is a nudge to get people to go in a direction they'll see the merit in.

Mametz and The Swans on 21:46 - Aug 14 with 7517 viewsblueytheblue

As noble an idea as it is, can't see it happening for two reasons.

1) It would bring the club no money

2) The vast majority of people I'd say would care less.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Mametz and The Swans on 21:51 - Aug 14 with 7501 viewsLohengrin

Mametz and The Swans on 21:46 - Aug 14 by blueytheblue

I think you're selling Welshmen short there, Bluey.

Mametz and The Swans on 21:53 - Aug 14 with 7464 viewsblueytheblue

Mametz and The Swans on 21:51 - Aug 14 by Lohengrin

I think you're selling Welshmen short there, Bluey.

Not at all. I just think, especially amongst the younger generation further removed from such things, there's not as much passion for the subject tbh.

If the club renamed for the season and had some form of education about it - videos pre match, articles in the programme etc - to publicise the renaming the and events the name refers to then it could work.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

Login to get fewer ads

Mametz and The Swans on 21:56 - Aug 14 with 7455 viewsJackfath

Mametz and The Swans on 21:53 - Aug 14 by blueytheblue

Not at all. I just think, especially amongst the younger generation further removed from such things, there's not as much passion for the subject tbh.

If the club renamed for the season and had some form of education about it - videos pre match, articles in the programme etc - to publicise the renaming the and events the name refers to then it could work.

Many schools take trips to the area to visit and pay respects. I disagree with your statement about there not being much passion for the subject.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

Mametz and The Swans on 21:57 - Aug 14 with 7454 viewsPacemaker

The club don't need the money in view of the pittance they have received from Liberty properties for the last ten years, they certainly won't miss it. Perhaps the biggest issue is that the decision would be made by the Stadium management company unless we do own the stadium by then?

In view of the fact that the memorial at Mametz is a memorial to all the Welsh Regiments present St Mametz including the Royal Welch fusiliers which included members of my family from the Rhondda, perhaps this should be also adopted by Cardiff as they have no stadium sponsor.

Such a year of remembrance should not be spoilt by petty sporting grudges.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 22:04]

Life is an adventure or nothing at all.

Mametz and The Swans on 21:58 - Aug 14 with 7441 viewssherpajacob

The impressive mametz wood memorial in france.

This would be a magnificent gesture by the club. I believe if people are educated about this support would be overwhelming.

Notwithstanding the fact that the cardiff city battalion were also in the thick of the fighting.

For 2016/2017 both swansea and cardiff could rename their stadiums
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 22:02]

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Mametz and The Swans on 22:01 - Aug 14 with 7430 viewsLohengrin

Mametz and The Swans on 21:53 - Aug 14 by blueytheblue

Education is key, Bluey, you're perfectly correct. Swansea Museum has a major Great War exhibition on as we speak, it's excellent by the way; and last season saw the unveiling of a memorial plaque at the ground to ex-players who fell in the war The Great War which was indeed accompanied by a series of features in the programme and local papers.

The ball is rolling, and to be honest, I think this idea may well have the wind at its back.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 7420 viewsPacemaker

I visit with a group of friends every year, and virtually every place I go along the Somme I see large groups of children from the UK, the USA, Canada and Anzac.

Visit Vimy ridge or Beaumont Hamel and get an organised guide you will find they are all Canadians and Newfoundlars students under 21 speaking with authority and passion about their forefathers. Young people have a great interest and respect for the fallen from both Great Wars.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:03 - Aug 14 with 7415 viewsLohengrin

If Swansea AND Cardiff were to take the idea on board then that would be something the whole of south Wales could take enormous pride in.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:05 - Aug 14 with 7402 viewsWitneyjack

Mametz Wood behind the memorial......
[Post edited 14 Aug 2015 22:09]
Mametz and The Swans on 22:05 - Aug 14 with 7395 viewsJackfath

Mametz and The Swans on 22:03 - Aug 14 by Lohengrin

If Swansea AND Cardiff were to take the idea on board then that would be something the whole of south Wales could take enormous pride in.

And unite the area in a "similar" way to the events of 100 years ago. A fitting tribute.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:11 - Aug 14 with 7363 viewsLohengrin

Mametz and The Swans on 22:03 - Aug 14 by Pacemaker

I visit with a group of friends every year, and virtually every place I go along the Somme I see large groups of children from the UK, the USA, Canada and Anzac.

Visit Vimy ridge or Beaumont Hamel and get an organised guide you will find they are all Canadians and Newfoundlars students under 21 speaking with authority and passion about their forefathers. Young people have a great interest and respect for the fallen from both Great Wars.

The South Wales Borderers fought on the right of The Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel, mate. Most of them are there still.

You've been there. If you stand at the foot of the Caribou and stare across to Y Ravine it drives home just how brave these boys were to try and advance across ground like that. Newfoundland Park is probably one of the most moving places I've been.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:11 - Aug 14 with 7362 viewssherpajacob

. The poet Robert Graves fought in the battle and, having gone back into the wood once the battle was finally over, wrote:

"It was full of dead Prussian Guards, big men, and dead Royal Welch Fusiliers and South Wales Borderers, little men.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/wales/entries/fb31ebec-ecce-3fe4-bfdc-e5416b79e8ea

Mametz and The Swans on 22:36 - Aug 14 with 7316 viewsPacemaker

Mametz and The Swans on 22:11 - Aug 14 by Lohengrin

The South Wales Borderers fought on the right of The Newfoundlanders at Beaumont Hamel, mate. Most of them are there still.

You've been there. If you stand at the foot of the Caribou and stare across to Y Ravine it drives home just how brave these boys were to try and advance across ground like that. Newfoundland Park is probably one of the most moving places I've been.

Totally agree with you and the heartbreaking documents in the Newfoundland museum would reduce anyone to tears.

My great uncle Cpl PJ Phillips MM Croix de Guerre served with the Welch Regt The Bantams and fought there and I had a very thorough document from the SW Borderers museum after my great uncle donated his medals following his peaceful death in the late 1970's.

He was only out there because the police and a few annoyed husbands were after him! He remained a chaaracter until the end and described his army days as the best days of his life.

I was too young at the time to really question it but he appeared to be unaffected and was a tearaway for most of his life without a care in the world as long as he had a drink and a lady he was happy.

Mametz and The Swans on 22:59 - Aug 14 with 7268 viewssherpajacob

Are you telling us most cardiff fans have absolutely no idea who ninian park was named after?

Mametz and The Swans on 08:15 - Aug 15 with 7138 viewsGehbeHindert_Bosman

I think it's a superb idea. A petition perhaps being the first step.

Isn't there a fans forum in Sept where this could be raised?

I think it could appeal to the club for the reasons above but also that we are "different" from other clubs. I dont think any other club has done this yet and would generate support and admiration from all over the Uk and abroad. It would be a great gesture if the club has the imagination to do it....
Mametz and The Swans on 09:58 - Aug 15 with 7072 viewskarnataka

Mametz and The Swans on 08:15 - Aug 15 by GehbeHindert_Bosman

I think it's a superb idea. A petition perhaps being the first step.

Isn't there a fans forum in Sept where this could be raised?

I think it could appeal to the club for the reasons above but also that we are "different" from other clubs. I dont think any other club has done this yet and would generate support and admiration from all over the Uk and abroad. It would be a great gesture if the club has the imagination to do it....

A petition is a very good idea to gain support & momentum. I wonder if this is a suitable topic for something like www.change.org? Probably worth looking into.
Mametz and The Swans on 22:49 - Aug 15 with 6955 viewsjandyt

Mametz and The Swans on 22:11 - Aug 14 by Lohengrin

I didn't realise that the SWB advanced next to the Newfoundlanders. The Canadian students give a fantastic tour of the battlefield and it's somewhere well worth visiting.

You used to be able to walk through the old trench networks until 4-5 years ago and it was sobering to realise that although the Newfoundlanders had the higher ground, because of the lay of the land, the Germans could still see into their trenches. Their losses were horrendous and the fact that there are 3 cemeteries in a space about the size of the combined Liberty car parks is an indication of the scale of the tragedy of the place.

Proudly plastic since 1978! www.pbase.com/andrew_thomas

Mametz and The Swans on 00:17 - Aug 16 with 6912 viewsLohengrin

Mametz and The Swans on 22:49 - Aug 15 by jandyt

I didn't realise that the SWB advanced next to the Newfoundlanders. The Canadian students give a fantastic tour of the battlefield and it's somewhere well worth visiting.

You used to be able to walk through the old trench networks until 4-5 years ago and it was sobering to realise that although the Newfoundlanders had the higher ground, because of the lay of the land, the Germans could still see into their trenches. Their losses were horrendous and the fact that there are 3 cemeteries in a space about the size of the combined Liberty car parks is an indication of the scale of the tragedy of the place.

Yes, mate. 2nd Bn SWB attacked Y Ravine as part of the 29th Division's disastrous offensive. It was a massacre. Wave after wave of boys were mown down without getting to within thirty yards of the German position. The whole ghastly episode lasted roughly five minutes from start to finish. Indeed the German commander was so sickened at the carnage he called for a truce to allow our dead and wounded to be retrieved

The poor Newfoundlanders were slaughtered before they'd even had a chance to reach their jumping off point. When you read the accounts left by the handful of survivors who "advanced with heads bowed as if against driving hail" you get an immediate sense of the impossibility of the task demanded of them. Wonder too at the calibre of men prepared to try.

* You can walk the old front line again now, Jan. You can stand beside the Danger Tree too. Everything is now gearing up for July of next year.

Mametz and The Swans on 07:19 - Aug 16 with 6848 viewsJackfath

I oft look around me at the gentlemen I see when out and about. There aren't many who I would be happy to be in a trench with ready to go over the top. So many have zero pride in themselves.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024