Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group 01:50 - Jan 27 with 9253 viewsDavillin

I know that many of you do not think well of Theresa [edit: Thanks PhactOrri and other posters] May, but I truly hope that you will put aside as you read my post.

I watched her 32-minute speech to the U.S. Republican Congressional retreat in Philadelphia earlier today.

I recommend it to you.

She was very well received, with many interruptions for applause, and not a few for standing ovations, as she painted a word picture of the long-standing relationship between our two countries. And, without mentioning our previous president's having allowed that relationship to wither [at least], she made a strong appeal for a renewal of it [standing ovation].

Not only do I not believe the oft-repeated notion as completely false that the United States treats the United Kingdom as an inferior, I am offended that we are so demeaned. Both our countries, by the way.

In all my life, I have never heard a single word about our relationship except positive ones. I believe and know that she described the American view of that relationship with 100% accuracy.

Her speech and the congressmen and congresswomen are well worth your time and effort.

P.S., did your media point out that one of the very first acts of President Trump on his first day in the White House was to return the bust of Winston Churchill to its pre-Obama place of honor in the Oval Office?

URL to P.M. May's speech:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2017/01/26/british_pm_theresa_may_at_gop_
[Post edited 27 Jan 2017 16:14]

I don't care. I'm old. I don't have to.
Poll: In which hemispheres will China's space station [or biggest piece] crash?

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:45 - Jan 29 with 1335 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:42 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

What is Nationalism if not faith in the potential and resilence of your own people? It is the most natural and healthy of instinctive, moral beliefs.

It's for those who practice unnatural politics to justify their actions, primarily to themselves. I dare say conscience demands they do it over and over and over as the shadow of self-knowlege and guilt spreads and darkens like a thunderhead.

What is football if not nationalism at a micro-level? Faith in the potential and resilience of your own side. *

* Apart for plastic fans that is **

** Or sides managed by Bobo the clown.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:49 - Jan 29 with 1329 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:45 - Jan 29 by blueytheblue

What is football if not nationalism at a micro-level? Faith in the potential and resilience of your own side. *

* Apart for plastic fans that is **

** Or sides managed by Bobo the clown.

Following the Swans and your crowd has required martydom over the years!

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:53 - Jan 29 with 1320 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:49 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

Following the Swans and your crowd has required martydom over the years!

Beats self-flagellation.

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:56 - Jan 29 with 1315 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:53 - Jan 29 by blueytheblue

Beats self-flagellation.

Only in as much as it cost less for new hair shirts.

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:06 - Jan 29 with 1299 viewsphact0rri

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:42 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

What is Nationalism if not faith in the potential and resilence of your own people? It is the most natural and healthy of instinctive, moral beliefs.

It's for those who practice unnatural politics to justify their actions, primarily to themselves. I dare say conscience demands they do it over and over and over as the shadow of self-knowlege and guilt spreads and darkens like a thunderhead.

As they say, everything in moderation. A love and belief in your people and lands is not inherently negative. It becomes that way, when pride and belief blinds you to failings and you find yourself in a bubble of 'alternate-facts' as it were, then it becomes problematic.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:12 - Jan 29 with 1291 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:06 - Jan 29 by phact0rri

As they say, everything in moderation. A love and belief in your people and lands is not inherently negative. It becomes that way, when pride and belief blinds you to failings and you find yourself in a bubble of 'alternate-facts' as it were, then it becomes problematic.

And, of course, this belief in 'your own people' - as nebulous as that is - has a natural flip-side of belittling 'the others' by default; we're back to the 'barbarians' of Greece.

We're a little too global now - as much as many don't want to face it - for that mindset to really work in forging a peaceful world.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:14 - Jan 29 with 1287 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:12 - Jan 29 by FearOfAJackPlanet

And, of course, this belief in 'your own people' - as nebulous as that is - has a natural flip-side of belittling 'the others' by default; we're back to the 'barbarians' of Greece.

We're a little too global now - as much as many don't want to face it - for that mindset to really work in forging a peaceful world.

"We?"

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:15 - Jan 29 with 1287 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

I would agree though, that most Brits/Europeans, haven't a clue about America and americans, even though they glibly sound off as if they have them all sussed in one soundbite.

Enjoying the next level

Login to get fewer ads

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:25 - Jan 29 with 1269 viewsJoe_bradshaw

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:15 - Jan 29 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I would agree though, that most Brits/Europeans, haven't a clue about America and americans, even though they glibly sound off as if they have them all sussed in one soundbite.

Very true.

All 360 million of them can be described in a couple of adjectives.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:26 - Jan 29 with 1267 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:14 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

"We?"

The world is getting smaller. It's a dyke breach that no finger can stem (fnarr etc)

Nationalism will become irrelevant whether those that hark back to it's glory days wish to admit it or not. Shared values will be more important in the coming decades. We'll probably end up in a similar battle, but with broader strokes. Doesn't take a genius to consider where some battle lines may be drawn.

Enjoying the next level

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:33 - Jan 29 with 1256 viewsphact0rri

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:15 - Jan 29 by FearOfAJackPlanet

I will say, that we are in a great time to learn more about other countries. Yet people-- for the most part-- believe they've got it figured out. Despite not really spending much time learning about it.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:35 - Jan 29 with 1251 viewsLohengrin

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:26 - Jan 29 by FearOfAJackPlanet

The world is getting smaller. It's a dyke breach that no finger can stem (fnarr etc)

Nationalism will become irrelevant whether those that hark back to it's glory days wish to admit it or not. Shared values will be more important in the coming decades. We'll probably end up in a similar battle, but with broader strokes. Doesn't take a genius to consider where some battle lines may be drawn.

There are very few 'values' that straddle any cultural divide. As Europeans we agnise the existence of Objective Truths that others do not. So long as men arise to defend the Idea of The Nation the flame is guarded.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:01 - Jan 30 with 1198 viewsEbo

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 21:24 - Jan 29 by blueytheblue

Yes, they are so horribly racist that, gasp Israeli Arabs actually have the vote. Indeed, Israeli Arabs have even been elected to the Knesset.

Such terrible racism...

Muppet.

Yet they murder innocents daily. People armed with rocks and fireworks against tanks, jets and heavy artillery. That is terrorism you deluded zionist sympathiser.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 15:18 - Jan 30 with 1175 viewsKerouac

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:01 - Jan 30 by Ebo

Yet they murder innocents daily. People armed with rocks and fireworks against tanks, jets and heavy artillery. That is terrorism you deluded zionist sympathiser.

[Post edited 30 Jan 2017 15:19]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 15:56 - Jan 30 with 1163 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 14:01 - Jan 30 by Ebo

That depends if you believe the ISM style spin, Ebo.

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 17:09 - Jan 30 with 1137 viewstrampie

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 22:35 - Jan 29 by Lohengrin

There are very few 'values' that straddle any cultural divide. As Europeans we agnise the existence of Objective Truths that others do not. So long as men arise to defend the Idea of The Nation the flame is guarded.

The Chinese were said to have built their great wall to keep the Ba-Baas out, European Christians don't tend to try and keep opposites out but instead they try and conquer or force their 'values' on them.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 17:19 - Jan 30 with 1130 viewsblueytheblue

P.M. Virginia May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 17:09 - Jan 30 by trampie

The Chinese were said to have built their great wall to keep the Ba-Baas out, European Christians don't tend to try and keep opposites out but instead they try and conquer or force their 'values' on them.

Not surprised the Chinese wanted to keep the Ba-Baas out.

The Chinese are crap at egg chasing.

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 01:56 - Jan 31 with 1096 viewsEbo

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 15:56 - Jan 30 by blueytheblue

That depends if you believe the ISM style spin, Ebo.

Not spin at all Bluey. It is happening every single day. How can a small strip of land protect itself from a modern war machine? Those hamas rockets are no better than fireworks compared to the might of Israel.

The Israeli government have defied 67 UN conventions - that's an awful lot to try and backtrack on. From Jets bombing children on a beach, to bombing hospitals, residential areas, schools the list goes on, all indiscriminate not the precision bombing hasbara will have you believe. I know you are jewish but come on Benjamin Netenyahu does not represent your beliefs surely?

It is also quite odd that ISIS's sworn enemy the jewish people have never been attacked by them in Israel or indeed America. I wonder why? hmmmm

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:12 - Jan 31 with 1070 viewsLord_Bony

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 01:56 - Jan 31 by Ebo

Not spin at all Bluey. It is happening every single day. How can a small strip of land protect itself from a modern war machine? Those hamas rockets are no better than fireworks compared to the might of Israel.

The Israeli government have defied 67 UN conventions - that's an awful lot to try and backtrack on. From Jets bombing children on a beach, to bombing hospitals, residential areas, schools the list goes on, all indiscriminate not the precision bombing hasbara will have you believe. I know you are jewish but come on Benjamin Netenyahu does not represent your beliefs surely?

It is also quite odd that ISIS's sworn enemy the jewish people have never been attacked by them in Israel or indeed America. I wonder why? hmmmm

Good post.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:21 - Jan 31 with 1052 viewsKerouac

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/isis-attack-israeli-israel-footba

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/751544/Jerusalem-attack-truck-hit-pedestrian

http://www.unilad.co.uk/news/isis-attack-israel-for-first-time-it-doesnt-end-wel

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2274387/isis-jihadis-obliterated-by-fighter-jets-a

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/isis-israel-bombs-clash-idf-

https://www.quora.com/Why-isnt-ISIS-attacking-Israel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:23 - Jan 31 with 1051 viewsblueytheblue

Stop with the fireworks bs. Those rockets are more than capable of killing as well you know. Iron Dome is the reason they don't, not for want of trying.

I'm not Jewish as I've stated numerous times, by the way.

Ah, you want to throw in the whole "Israel behind ISIS" theory without actually bringing yourself to say it. Has it ever occurred to you the reason Daesh haven't attacked Israel is because experience has shown that whenever Daesh encounter trained forces who don't drop their guns and run away they tend to lose? Nah, easier to spread memes born from anti-semitic sentiments.

EDIT: It's also safe to say those bankrolling Daesh really, really wouldn't want Israel highly pissed off with them. Just a hunch.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2017 12:25]

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:33 - Jan 31 with 1043 viewsFlashberryjack

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:23 - Jan 31 by blueytheblue

Stop with the fireworks bs. Those rockets are more than capable of killing as well you know. Iron Dome is the reason they don't, not for want of trying.

I'm not Jewish as I've stated numerous times, by the way.

Ah, you want to throw in the whole "Israel behind ISIS" theory without actually bringing yourself to say it. Has it ever occurred to you the reason Daesh haven't attacked Israel is because experience has shown that whenever Daesh encounter trained forces who don't drop their guns and run away they tend to lose? Nah, easier to spread memes born from anti-semitic sentiments.

EDIT: It's also safe to say those bankrolling Daesh really, really wouldn't want Israel highly pissed off with them. Just a hunch.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2017 12:25]

I know this may come as a shock to you Bluey..........but there are a few on here that hate Americans and Jews far more than ISIS.

"Fireworks" FFS

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:13 - Jan 31 with 1021 viewsLord_Bony

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 12:33 - Jan 31 by Flashberryjack

I know this may come as a shock to you Bluey..........but there are a few on here that hate Americans and Jews far more than ISIS.

"Fireworks" FFS

Really don't think there's one person on here with that view.

People have the right to question Israel illegally occupying that strip of land and taking it over if they could. All this backed by billions of dollars of US tax money and military hardware.

I'm sure we would fight back here in wales if we found ourselves in similar circumstances.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:25 - Jan 31 with 1008 viewsDarran

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:13 - Jan 31 by Lord_Bony

People have the right to question Israel illegally occupying that strip of land and taking it over if they could. All this backed by billions of dollars of US tax money and military hardware.

I'm sure we would fight back here in wales if we found ourselves in similar circumstances.

Bollox if thousands of innocent people in Israel were suddenly being slaughtered many on here wouldn't give a toss.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:26 - Jan 31 with 1002 viewsFlashberryjack

P.M. Theresa May's speech to U.S. Congressional group on 13:13 - Jan 31 by Lord_Bony

"Really don't think there's one person on here with that view "

Of course there isn't

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024