Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
West Brom 2004 escape 13:17 - May 9 with 2807 viewsthornabyswan

They were bottom.of the league going into the last game.
Won 2.0 and ended up staying up.
Not over yet.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:17 - May 9 with 2797 viewspencoedjack

The hope will kill you mate
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:19 - May 9 with 2781 viewssainthelens

Haven't you had enough dissapointment?
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:20 - May 9 with 2775 viewsswanforthemoney

Is the OP suggesting we might score two goals in one game ?

I stand in the North Stand

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:22 - May 9 with 2760 viewsPozuelosSideys

Maybe if we ask Shaqiri nicely he can smash an OG in from the halfway line for us on the premise the he can join us if we stay up because of it.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:23 - May 9 with 2760 viewsA_Fans_Dad

And they could do almost the same this season as well.
You would have thought that they were dead & buried a month ago.
[Post edited 9 May 2018 13:24]
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:26 - May 9 with 2736 viewsthornabyswan

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:17 - May 9 by pencoedjack

The hope will kill you mate

I was not looking forward to the Southampton game and the feeling of devastation afterwards.
But it was not as bad as I thought it would be.
It just felt like they had put me out of my misery.

The Stoke game is a shot to nothing now.

Poll: Would you like Cooper to stay or go (regardless of compensation situation)

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:27 - May 9 with 2729 viewslondonlisa2001

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:23 - May 9 by A_Fans_Dad

They were relegated last night mun.
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:29 - May 9 with 2702 viewsDarran

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:23 - May 9 by A_Fans_Dad

Fuçking Christ.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Login to get fewer ads

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:30 - May 9 with 2691 viewsthornabyswan

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:29 - May 9 by Darran

Fuçking Christ.

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:30 - May 9 with 2691 viewsJacket

It's the hope that always kills you in the end. It's time to stop hoping, it's time to admit defeat. If the miracle happens, it happens, but I'm not in the business of hoping for miracles. My hope was killed last night, to the point I'm left wondering if staying up would be a blessing at all. Ask yourself if another season like this one is what you want? The first two seasons were an absolute joy, everything we'd drempt of and more, can't say the same about the seasons since then. Something special was being built back then. Sure, the success of the direct football of Monk's first full season was pleasant enough, but I fear we're still paying the price for the season when we lost our identity and became just like the rest.
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:33 - May 9 with 2670 viewssherpajacob

IF Huddersfield lose tonight, its definitely game on again.

a quick peep at their forum and they are bricking it, going on about the time they got relegated by losing on the last day and everybody below them won.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000—01_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C._season

IF, IF, IF, they don't save themselves tonight, what do they do Saturday, park the bus at home or attack and risk getting picked off.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:36 - May 9 with 2639 viewssainthelens

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:33 - May 9 by sherpajacob

IF Huddersfield lose tonight, its definitely game on again.

a quick peep at their forum and they are bricking it, going on about the time they got relegated by losing on the last day and everybody below them won.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000—01_Huddersfield_Town_A.F.C._season

IF, IF, IF, they don't save themselves tonight, what do they do Saturday, park the bus at home or attack and risk getting picked off.

On Saturday they'll be chilling out, a mild practice session I'd think.
West Brom 2004 escape on 13:49 - May 9 with 2586 viewsDarran

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:36 - May 9 by sainthelens

On Saturday they'll be chilling out, a mild practice session I'd think.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:51 - May 9 with 2571 viewsthornabyswan

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:20 - May 9 by swanforthemoney

Is the OP suggesting we might score two goals in one game ?

West Brom beat Portsmouth to stay up Southampton were one of the teams to go down.
And the Portsmouth fans started celebrating with them I just googled that not a total geek

West Brom 2004 escape on 14:53 - May 9 with 2385 viewsA_Fans_Dad

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:27 - May 9 by londonlisa2001

They were relegated last night mun.

Sorry, I was only looking at the fact that they can overtake us, forgetting about Soton.
West Brom 2004 escape on 15:30 - May 9 with 2275 viewsRissoleCoughlin

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:30 - May 9 by Jacket

It's the hope that always kills you in the end. It's time to stop hoping, it's time to admit defeat. If the miracle happens, it happens, but I'm not in the business of hoping for miracles. My hope was killed last night, to the point I'm left wondering if staying up would be a blessing at all. Ask yourself if another season like this one is what you want? The first two seasons were an absolute joy, everything we'd drempt of and more, can't say the same about the seasons since then. Something special was being built back then. Sure, the success of the direct football of Monk's first full season was pleasant enough, but I fear we're still paying the price for the season when we lost our identity and became just like the rest.

I know exactly where you're coming from with this. I could never, ever find it in my heart to willingly want us to go down, but the prospect of survival fills me with dread that Jenkins will remain in his post. What then? Another summer of disastrous transfer dealings followed by another relegation battle that starts in October? Another managerial appointment based on pragmatism with no likelihood of a return to the core values that underpinned 'The Swansea Way'?

I understand there is absolutely no guarantee that a new Chairman will look to get the Swans returning to the same core footballing values that allowed us to begin our climb into this league in the first place. But I also utterly refute the 'Better the Devil you know' approach because in the unlikely event that we manage to stay up we are most likely facing another season of this dross.

I think Albert Einstein's definition of insanity is quite apt - continually repeating the same actions each time but expecting a different outcome. Eventually when you keep rolling the dice and gambling you'll stop rolling the sixes. Last season, this season, next season, it's only a question of time before poor choices eventually catch up with you.

I guess it all boils down to what each individual fan thinks is in the best interests for the club. For many, staying in the Premier League is the absolute priority, the 'be-all and end-all'. I get that. Being in this league generates a huge amount of economic and PR benefit for the City. And no, I don't particularly want away trips to Grimsby Town either.

But at what cost? The complete loss of connection between the club and its fanbase? The accumulation of a hugely mediocre playing squad on vastly inflated wages with no connection to the City? The decreasing likelihood that there'll be enough opportunities for the next Ben, Joey, or Connor to come through, making you burst with the pride that 'he's one of our own'?

Sad times ahead whatever the outcome. None of us are winners in this.
West Brom 2004 escape on 15:35 - May 9 with 2256 viewsPozuelosSideys

West Brom 2004 escape on 15:30 - May 9 by RissoleCoughlin

I know exactly where you're coming from with this. I could never, ever find it in my heart to willingly want us to go down, but the prospect of survival fills me with dread that Jenkins will remain in his post. What then? Another summer of disastrous transfer dealings followed by another relegation battle that starts in October? Another managerial appointment based on pragmatism with no likelihood of a return to the core values that underpinned 'The Swansea Way'?

I understand there is absolutely no guarantee that a new Chairman will look to get the Swans returning to the same core footballing values that allowed us to begin our climb into this league in the first place. But I also utterly refute the 'Better the Devil you know' approach because in the unlikely event that we manage to stay up we are most likely facing another season of this dross.

I think Albert Einstein's definition of insanity is quite apt - continually repeating the same actions each time but expecting a different outcome. Eventually when you keep rolling the dice and gambling you'll stop rolling the sixes. Last season, this season, next season, it's only a question of time before poor choices eventually catch up with you.

I guess it all boils down to what each individual fan thinks is in the best interests for the club. For many, staying in the Premier League is the absolute priority, the 'be-all and end-all'. I get that. Being in this league generates a huge amount of economic and PR benefit for the City. And no, I don't particularly want away trips to Grimsby Town either.

But at what cost? The complete loss of connection between the club and its fanbase? The accumulation of a hugely mediocre playing squad on vastly inflated wages with no connection to the City? The decreasing likelihood that there'll be enough opportunities for the next Ben, Joey, or Connor to come through, making you burst with the pride that 'he's one of our own'?

Sad times ahead whatever the outcome. None of us are winners in this.

Exactly. Its counter-intuitive and goes against everything you want as a fan and everything you believe in.

You also know going down could well make things worse such as in the case of Sunderland. But the decks really need clearing here and a new slate is very much required. Think the corporates will call it a"root and branch reform".

Anyway, exiting all the high earners and selling off the player assets isn't the end of the world as none with maybe exception of Fabianksi are amazing world beaters. Suspect as it stands we would have a mid table Championship side after all exits

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

West Brom 2004 escape on 15:37 - May 9 with 2251 viewsLeonWasGod

West Brom 2004 escape on 13:30 - May 9 by Jacket

Good post. (I’d argue that Monk’ full season wasn’t pleasant, but that’s nit picking. I got really wound up watching us that season; some of the football was awful.)

I don’t particularly want us to go down, but would gladly swap the PL for the unique identity and sense of community that we had back then.

Yep it’s always the hope that gets you. I was convinced we’d turn up and re-find our shooting boots last night.
West Brom 2004 escape on 16:15 - May 9 with 2169 viewsunion_jack

West Brom 2004 escape on 15:37 - May 9 by LeonWasGod

Good post. (I’d argue that Monk’ full season wasn’t pleasant, but that’s nit picking. I got really wound up watching us that season; some of the football was awful.)

I don’t particularly want us to go down, but would gladly swap the PL for the unique identity and sense of community that we had back then.

Yep it’s always the hope that gets you. I was convinced we’d turn up and re-find our shooting boots last night.

A word of caution here.

Anyone who thinks that relegation will return us to the club we were both on or off the field is sadly mistaken.

It will take a long time to stabilise and will undoubtedly mean more heartache before we can celebrate again.

Mid table championship next year? Think again.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:01 - May 9 with 2084 viewsmagicdaps10

West Brom 2004 escape on 16:15 - May 9 by union_jack

A word of caution here.

Anyone who thinks that relegation will return us to the club we were both on or off the field is sadly mistaken.

It will take a long time to stabilise and will undoubtedly mean more heartache before we can celebrate again.

We may never get back to being that club ever again but one thing is for sure, we cant carry on the way we are at present.

The club has been divided and the people who caused that divide need to be gone to give us a chance.

Jenkins and his merry gang of hanger on's need to go.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:29 - May 9 with 2008 viewsawayjack

West Brom 2004 escape on 16:15 - May 9 by union_jack

A word of caution here.

Probably overthinking this, but suspect relegation will likely mean two scenarios:

A. Yanks 'asset strip' and look to recoup the money given to Huw and Co by selling any player worth £1m or so and cut our wages bill by £60m-£70m to have some excess from the parachute payments. The squad will be decimated and any big non-playing earners like Huw and Pearlman gone. In this scenario we'll struggle to survive in Chamionship and likely slide down to League 1. They'll look to exit at after getting bulk of their money back and need to sell at League 1 value, perhaps even to an owner that cares. In theory/legally the Trust would also get their share of any dividends, so have some funds to perhaps play a part, naturally with different people running it.
B. Yanks 'twist' and gamble on a speedy return for the riches of the PL before the parachute money runs out. They'll still sell players with decent value like Fabs, Mawson, Jordan and Andre and get rid of the long list of deadwood - but maybe look to keep core squad together. I don't think they understand how competitive Championship is, so when we're not promoted, in Year 2 they panic and opt for Plan A.

I'm probably in a minority as supported swans long enough to see Club is about more than PL. Don't get me wrong the experience has been brilliant but if we're relegated a few years of pain be worth it if silver lining is after 3-4 years the pigs have stopped feeding in the trough, and we have a club with people with principles as owners.
West Brom 2004 escape on 17:54 - May 9 with 1968 viewsswan65split

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:29 - May 9 by awayjack

Probably overthinking this, but suspect relegation will likely mean two scenarios:

A. Yanks 'asset strip' and look to recoup the money given to Huw and Co by selling any player worth £1m or so and cut our wages bill by £60m-£70m to have some excess from the parachute payments. The squad will be decimated and any big non-playing earners like Huw and Pearlman gone. In this scenario we'll struggle to survive in Chamionship and likely slide down to League 1. They'll look to exit at after getting bulk of their money back and need to sell at League 1 value, perhaps even to an owner that cares. In theory/legally the Trust would also get their share of any dividends, so have some funds to perhaps play a part, naturally with different people running it.
B. Yanks 'twist' and gamble on a speedy return for the riches of the PL before the parachute money runs out. They'll still sell players with decent value like Fabs, Mawson, Jordan and Andre and get rid of the long list of deadwood - but maybe look to keep core squad together. I don't think they understand how competitive Championship is, so when we're not promoted, in Year 2 they panic and opt for Plan A.

I'm probably in a minority as supported swans long enough to see Club is about more than PL. Don't get me wrong the experience has been brilliant but if we're relegated a few years of pain be worth it if silver lining is after 3-4 years the pigs have stopped feeding in the trough, and we have a club with people with principles as owners.

It will be A. i am sure the w£anks have the men available to "sort" the funds from the parachute payments out.

I will keep saying If, but if we go down its the road to hell ahead.
West Brom 2004 escape on 17:57 - May 9 with 1956 viewssainthelens

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:29 - May 9 by awayjack

Lot of typing. Have you ever kissed a girl ?
West Brom 2004 escape on 19:02 - May 10 with 1749 viewsDJack

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:01 - May 9 by magicdaps10

We may never get back to being that club ever again but one thing is for sure, we cant carry on the way we are at present.

The club has been divided and the people who caused that divide need to be gone to give us a chance.

Jenkins and his merry gang of hanger on's need to go.

This.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

West Brom 2004 escape on 19:04 - May 10 with 1729 viewsDJack

West Brom 2004 escape on 17:57 - May 9 by sainthelens

Lot of typing. Have you ever kissed a girl ?

In his defence, he is not like a few on this board who type with their forehead.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024