Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Michael Appleton being interviewed 14:38 - May 29 with 14357 viewswhaleoilbeefhooked

According to bbc 5 live.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 18:57 - May 29 with 4099 viewsTheKirkyLife

Cannot understand why so many would be against Appleton.

Portsmouth and Blackpool were cash strapped clubs - Portsmouth he showed loyalty despite relegation and Blackpool has their issues well documented.

Blackburn sacked him despite the last 6 years pretty much confirming that he was hardly underperforming with them. He was given January until March. Admittedly it was a barren spell without a win that meant the end.

Anyone who knows anything about Oxford knows that he was a saviour to that club. Good football, promotion in his second season, great first season following promotion.

And then he had the lack of ego to become assistant at Leicester City - of which he won both his games as Caretaker Manager against us and Everton. A lot of fans felt his dismissal from the Assistant Manager role was very harsh.

We could do much worse.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:05 - May 29 with 4051 viewsThrasher6

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 17:14 - May 29 by N_T_J

😂

I'm just sick to the core with the speculation....

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:21 - May 29 with 3989 viewsbermudajack

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 17:54 - May 29 by 34dfgdf54

<<How many Championship clubs are considering appointing managers with absolutely no experience of managing in the Championship following 7 consecutive (very recent) seasons in the PL?>>

We are still in deep, deep trouble financially. We can’t afford managers who will come with proven track record at this level. Even abroad would you up sticks and come to us in our current state?

Potter was at the Noel Gallagher gig in Cardiff the other day, few people I know were talking to him before a few Cardiff kids crowded him giving him stick and he had to move on. We are not in a good place whatsoever.

Well I would have thought the £3M compensation from Brighton will be used wisely in bringing the right candidate in during this so called perilous time...
Cheap inexperienced risky options will not help us going forward, in fact the opposite...
£35M second season parachute plus £8M from this season with a further £15M next season (without any player sales) means we’ve got to get The right person in for the future of the club.
Failure to hire the right person could be more catastrophic than our £30M debt...

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:23 - May 29 with 3987 viewsmajorraglan

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 17:54 - May 29 by 34dfgdf54

<<How many Championship clubs are considering appointing managers with absolutely no experience of managing in the Championship following 7 consecutive (very recent) seasons in the PL?>>

We are still in deep, deep trouble financially. We can’t afford managers who will come with proven track record at this level. Even abroad would you up sticks and come to us in our current state?

Potter was at the Noel Gallagher gig in Cardiff the other day, few people I know were talking to him before a few Cardiff kids crowded him giving him stick and he had to move on. We are not in a good place whatsoever.

We all know the club don’t in a good place, but if Potter was implying it really is that bad then it’s not good news. On the plus side, the clubs had £3m towards its black hole, but that will be small beer in the grand scheme of things if the next managerial appointment is a bad one.

The Cardiff kids crowding him and giving him stick is just disgusting and terrible. Scum bags.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:33 - May 29 with 3936 viewsTecmo

Honestly don't know if he'd be a good choice but this article does make me feel better about him.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-f
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:43 - May 29 with 3895 viewsdickythorpe

Good opening batsman, but no flair.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:52 - May 29 with 3850 viewsThornburyswan

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:33 - May 29 by Tecmo

Honestly don't know if he'd be a good choice but this article does make me feel better about him.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cut-short-leicester-city-oxford-united-portsmouth-f

Thanks Tecmo, decent article that & if that is really him & how he thinks now it might be a smart call.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:56 - May 29 with 3838 viewsairedale

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:05 - May 29 by Thrasher6

I'm just sick to the core with the speculation....

I agree, it gets on your pip.
Login to get fewer ads

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:58 - May 29 with 3825 viewsSwanseaman

Portsmouth

On 10 November 2011, Portsmouth unveiled Appleton as their new manager on a three-and-a-half-year contract;

Portsmouth were relegated from the Championship at the end of the 2011—12 season

Blackpool

On 7 November 2012, Appleton was appointed manager of Blackpool on a one-year rolling contract.

After his resignation, he became the shortest-serving Blackpool manager in their history, with just eleven League games under his belt.

Blackburn Rovers

On 10 January 2013, Appleton was given permission to speak to Blackburn Rovers, and it was announced a day later by Blackburn that he had agreed to join Rovers as manager after just 65 days in charge of Blackpool.

On 16 February 2013, Appleton's Blackburn team defeated Premier League team Arsenal in the Fifth Round of the FA Cup at the Emirates Stadium. however, it was followed by a run of eight games without a win, with Rovers losing an FA Cup quarter-final replay at home to Millwall.[3]

On 19 March 2013, after poor results in the Championship, Appleton was relieved of his duties as manager of Blackburn Rovers, having only won 4 of his 15 games in charge.

Appleton's tenure at Blackburn lasted 67 days, two days more than his tenure at Blackpool.

Oxford United

On 4 July 2014, Appleton became the new head coach of Oxford United] In his first season, Oxford finished in 13th place in League Two. The following season, however, Oxford finished 2nd with 86 points, achieving automatic promotion to League One,[30] and reached the final of the Football League Trophy at Wembley.[31] In his third season in charge, Oxford again reached the final of the EFL Trophy, but again finished runners-up.[32] They finished in eighth place in League One.[33]

Leicester City
On 20 June 2017, Appleton was confirmed as the new assistant to manager Craig Shakespeare at Premier League club Leicester City, signing a three-year contract.[34] After the dismissal of Shakespeare in October 2017, Appleton took over as caretaker manager[35] for two matches, both Leicester victories,[36] before the appointment of Claude Puel. On 30 June 2018, it was announced that Appleton had left his position at Leicester with immediate effect following a restructure of the coaching staff.[37]

Return to West Bromwich Albion
On 26 April 2019, Appleton agreed to act as first team coach to West Bromwich Albion caretaker manager James Shan until the end of the 2018—19 season,[38] speculation having arisen in previous weeks that he could become the new manager of the West Midlands club.[39] The move saw Appleton return to the Baggies following an eight-year absence,[38] where he linked up with former associate Steven Reid, who was acting in the same role as Appleton.[40]

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 20:11 - May 29 with 3772 viewstheloneranger

If he does become manager, he'll have more money in the bank than the Swans, after his £1.5M compensation for a dodgy knee operation.

He's can't be no worse than the last Appleton we had as manager!!

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 20:19 - May 29 with 3737 viewsSwansea93

Can still get him @ 16/1, he seems a more reasonable bet than Mellon/Flynn.

Poll: Can Montero do it on a rainy Saturday afternoon?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 20:28 - May 29 with 3716 viewsjacktar_

No problem with that, a firm and steady appointment for our level. I'd take Steve Cotterill too. We need experience not some fancy dan.If we have to hoof it, then so be it.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 21:56 - May 29 with 3532 viewsKilkennyjack

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 18:20 - May 29 by Glyn1

Maybe they could do the job together as a pear.
[Post edited 29 May 2019 18:20]

😂😂👌

Beware of the Risen People

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 21:58 - May 29 with 3515 views34dfgdf54

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 19:23 - May 29 by majorraglan

We all know the club don’t in a good place, but if Potter was implying it really is that bad then it’s not good news. On the plus side, the clubs had £3m towards its black hole, but that will be small beer in the grand scheme of things if the next managerial appointment is a bad one.

The Cardiff kids crowding him and giving him stick is just disgusting and terrible. Scum bags.

He wouldn’t say a lot. Just made it clear when asked which way he thought the club was heading.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 22:20 - May 29 with 3422 viewsSwanseaman

have all these managers been studying the godfather style of leadership?

Poll: Would you have Jenkins back if he found wealthy oil sheikhs to buy out the Yanks

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 22:52 - May 29 with 3301 viewsbuilthjack

Why in heavens name would we want this clown
[Post edited 30 May 2019 6:35]

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 23:05 - May 29 with 3259 viewsmarchamjack

If Appleton gets the job, would be the first what I’d call a journeyman manager we’ve had for a while. Disappointing if so. Would much prefer we take a bit of a punt on someone who looks like he might have something a bit different/ new about him.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 23:07 - May 29 with 3256 viewsTecmo

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 22:52 - May 29 by builthjack

Why in heavens name would we want this clown
[Post edited 30 May 2019 6:35]

Appleton has had previous dealings with Birch, was the manager at Portsmouth when Birch was the administrator there. If he got an interview, they must have had a good relationship even with the financial issues they were dealing with.
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 23:10 - May 29 with 3244 viewsbuilthjack

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 23:07 - May 29 by Tecmo

Appleton has had previous dealings with Birch, was the manager at Portsmouth when Birch was the administrator there. If he got an interview, they must have had a good relationship even with the financial issues they were dealing with.

God help us

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 23:35 - May 29 with 3189 viewsEbo

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 15:43 - May 29 by WarwickHunt

Appleton, Mellon - we’ll end up with a fûcking fruit salad.

Di Matteo's name hasn't been mentioned

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 04:49 - May 30 with 3038 viewsTecmo

An article on Appleton and Birch in Portsmouth.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/20252055
Michael Appleton being interviewed on 07:21 - May 30 with 2921 viewsPrivate_Partz

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 20:28 - May 29 by jacktar_

No problem with that, a firm and steady appointment for our level. I'd take Steve Cotterill too. We need experience not some fancy dan.If we have to hoof it, then so be it.

It would carry much more risk to change from the passing game to hoofball. We need a manager who can continue with our style imho.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 07:50 - May 30 with 2876 viewsbermudajack

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 07:21 - May 30 by Private_Partz

It would carry much more risk to change from the passing game to hoofball. We need a manager who can continue with our style imho.

I have to admit that my I Initial reaction when news of the interview broke was meh. I have since done some research and I must admit he’s much more experienced than I gave him credit for.
His statement of, “I am seen as a possession type manager who likes to control the game, but I’m not obsessed by it, it depends where the possession is, getting my best players in the right areas with the ball is much more important for creating chances & winning games”,
His record of picking out lower league talent is also quite impressive, he has been studying the championship in great detail for some time and could interview very well, (of course he also has had dealings with Birch under difficult financial circumstances in the past)
If we can’t get a Oscar Garcia type - then this guy might come across well with his openness and honesty?

Poll: Priority for new manager?

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 11:24 - May 30 with 2664 viewsshandyjack

if he is as good as some are saying it's a wonder WBA don't look to employ him themselves

Poll: Expectation for the season

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 11:35 - May 30 with 2628 viewsThrasher6

Michael Appleton being interviewed on 11:24 - May 30 by shandyjack

if he is as good as some are saying it's a wonder WBA don't look to employ him themselves

This.

Poll: Social Distancing: When will it be an obsolete word?

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024