Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Big Match Revisited 14:08 - Jun 9 with 1732 viewsNorthantsHoop

Great to catch up with the old games from the 1970s on the Big Match Revisited on ITV 4 on the ITV hub. The 31 May edition has QPR v Sunderland as feature game from October 1976. Brings back memories of our great team in that era, and a packed Loftus Road. It was certainly a magical place to go and experience a game. Personally preferred the layout of the lower South Africa Road stand in this period, before the paddocks were created around 1981.
Big Match Revisited on 14:30 - Jun 9 with 1681 viewsdaveB

[Post edited 9 Jun 2020 14:32]
Big Match Revisited on 15:06 - Jun 9 with 1612 viewseghamranger

What a team that was... and that was without Gerry playing.

Didn’t realise Ian Gillard was so good with his right foot too.
Love seeing Thomas and Bowles skinning people.

Muddy pitches, black boots, white balls... proper football
Big Match Revisited on 15:19 - Jun 9 with 1589 viewsNorthantsHoop

Big Match Revisited on 15:06 - Jun 9 by eghamranger

While I still love going to Rangers as always. Back in the 70s and 80s to an extent, more of a level playing field between teams, especially in the 1st division, before the money un-balanced the chances of small and medium clubs. Lot more physical in those days and refs tended to let things go a bit. Also because the pitches played a part as well because by the Autumn they were usually in a right state.
Big Match Revisited on 21:54 - Jun 9 with 1398 viewsDWQPR

Big Match Revisited on 15:06 - Jun 9 by eghamranger

Muddy pitch? That was a carpet compared to what it would be like in December!

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Big Match Revisited on 08:17 - Jun 10 with 1314 viewsWalnut

We feature again on Saturday's episode, away to Liverpool. Anyone on here go?
Big Match Revisited on 10:09 - Jun 10 with 1261 viewskernowhoop

Great to watch. Not nice to be reminded that the crowd had been getting on the back of Don Givens, though. Some things do not seem to change. I loved watching Bowles and like many of my vintage, I compare him with Eze. Eze has more tricks in his locker (and the advantage of the modern game - ball, boots, pitch etc) but, he does not seem to have Bowles's instinct for the goal. I wonder if that can be learnt, or, is it something that you either have or you do not?
Big Match Revisited on 10:35 - Jun 10 with 1236 views2Thomas2Bowles

Big Match Revisited on 10:09 - Jun 10 by kernowhoop

Great to watch. Not nice to be reminded that the crowd had been getting on the back of Don Givens, though. Some things do not seem to change. I loved watching Bowles and like many of my vintage, I compare him with Eze. Eze has more tricks in his locker (and the advantage of the modern game - ball, boots, pitch etc) but, he does not seem to have Bowles's instinct for the goal. I wonder if that can be learnt, or, is it something that you either have or you do not?

The way I see it, Bowles would do even better in today game, as would many others from that time.

Eze, Could he handle the hard physical side of back then and those pitches.

Not just him but many of today's players.

Maybe a bit unfair to compare the 2 but for me Bowles would come out as the better player.

Bowles was not a prolific goalscorer but still 1 in 3 with us, still high.
Eze, About 1 in 5 so far.

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Big Match Revisited on 14:19 - Jun 11 with 1126 viewsNorthantsHoop

Big Match Revisited on 10:35 - Jun 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

The way I see it, Bowles would do even better in today game, as would many others from that time.

Eze, Could he handle the hard physical side of back then and those pitches.

Not just him but many of today's players.

Maybe a bit unfair to compare the 2 but for me Bowles would come out as the better player.

Bowles was not a prolific goalscorer but still 1 in 3 with us, still high.
Eze, About 1 in 5 so far.

I think Bowles would be brilliant in the modern era. You would have to hope that his brilliance and notably his character would be tolerated nowadays. What made Stan unique was not just how he could play but how his personal traits gave an edge to his game.

The modern game just does not have these type of characters. But I really like the way Eze plays and entertains on the field, he has the flair and ability, think it is really great that we have brought his talent on, when other clubs rejected him.
Login to get fewer ads

Big Match Revisited on 01:26 - Jun 12 with 1021 viewsbob566

Big Match Revisited on 14:19 - Jun 11 by NorthantsHoop

I think Bowles would be brilliant in the modern era. You would have to hope that his brilliance and notably his character would be tolerated nowadays. What made Stan unique was not just how he could play but how his personal traits gave an edge to his game.

The modern game just does not have these type of characters. But I really like the way Eze plays and entertains on the field, he has the flair and ability, think it is really great that we have brought his talent on, when other clubs rejected him.

It's all relevant. Defenders are much better now. People won't to hear that. He was still a genius
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024