Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This season-Transition season. 22:56 - Jan 26 with 6398 viewsmagicdaps10

I am just amazed that some fans don't see that this season is a transition season, absolutely Amazes me!

We lose our parachute payments, over half our first team and management team YET some think we are a top 6 team.

I just want to see what everyone thinks in one post in regards if they see this as a transition season or we should be pushing higher in the league.

Me personally as I asked, we are about right where we are considering the few games we have in hand and all mentioned above.

Shhot away all.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

This season-Transition season. on 11:39 - Jan 27 with 997 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 11:21 - Jan 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Only in the sense that we've transitioned from a team challenging for automatic promotion to one grateful that colossal point deductions see us not sitting level with the team currently 19th over halfway through the season.

It’s just nonsense really.

The OP is only doing it in an attempt to stoke the flames as he realises some fans aren’t happy with such a poor season. Such a transparent thread, but unfortunately for him it won’t work as all that will happen is people will ask questions that cannot be answered.

Still not a single answer to why after 46 games we are transitioning but after 47 we are not anymore. It’s a made up period of time that has shifted continually as the season has gone on, until people have given up moving the goalposts and eventually written the whole season off.

Every time we change a management team we pretty much lose half our starting team. Never before has anyone said we have to write a season off.

I’m sure Bob Bradley would have loved a season where people wrote off the performances, except the notion didn’t exist back then.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

This season-Transition season. on 11:44 - Jan 27 with 986 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 11:36 - Jan 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

We didn't lose the management team, they were all but sacked.

We haven't lost half of the first team.

I'd argue only the centre backs were not adequately replaced.

We spent an incredible amount of money this Summer. We've seen even more money spent this month.

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key first team players in the coming Summer months. Will that render next season a transition season as well?

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key players in Summer 2023. Will that render the 2023-24 season a transitional season as well?

There's no such thing as a transitional season. If results fall below expectations for too long, he'll be gone. If results exceed expectations for too long, he'll be gone.

Spot on.

I’ve asked what makes a transition season a transition season, nobody has answered yet. Apart from giving scenarios that are present in other seasons gone by that nobody saw as a “transition season”.

I’ve asked why we are transitioning after 46 but not after 47. Nobody knows that one either.

Every time a new manager comes in they change the style to their own, they bring their own team with them and want their own players.

The amount of excuses this season has been staggering. If we had more critical appraisal within the club and fan base we may actually make some progress, the lack of critical thought was an issue at MK Dons too.

Bad performances were always excused away with “dominance” and “building”. That’s as deep as it seemed to go.

This season-Transition season. on 11:47 - Jan 27 with 991 viewsnantywatcher

We over achieved last season to get to the play off final against a superb Brentford team was the epitome of over-achievement.
Could someone on here please explain to me why they trust Russell Martin to run this club. We've had five months of dire, drab football (bumped into a guy at indoor football last night - saw my Swansea top, said he watched the QPR game and asked me how I coped with watching that boring dross. I did not feel like arguing it was one of our better performances from a Martin team.) He has done absolutely nothing to inspire any confidence from me, so yet again I'm clinging on to the next match and hoping to see any form of light at the end of the tunnel. Please explain.
This season-Transition season. on 12:33 - Jan 27 with 964 viewsbuilthjack

This season-Transition season. on 11:47 - Jan 27 by nantywatcher

We over achieved last season to get to the play off final against a superb Brentford team was the epitome of over-achievement.
Could someone on here please explain to me why they trust Russell Martin to run this club. We've had five months of dire, drab football (bumped into a guy at indoor football last night - saw my Swansea top, said he watched the QPR game and asked me how I coped with watching that boring dross. I did not feel like arguing it was one of our better performances from a Martin team.) He has done absolutely nothing to inspire any confidence from me, so yet again I'm clinging on to the next match and hoping to see any form of light at the end of the tunnel. Please explain.

Who does the guy at indoor football support?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

This season-Transition season. on 12:59 - Jan 27 with 946 viewsnantywatcher

This season-Transition season. on 12:33 - Jan 27 by builthjack

I'd guess Barcelona.
This season-Transition season. on 13:02 - Jan 27 with 941 viewsonehunglow

This season-Transition season. on 11:47 - Jan 27 by nantywatcher

Because he said he was going to change the way we play no matter what and give us a team to excite us.
It's a long term job though

I think...

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

This season-Transition season. on 13:07 - Jan 27 with 926 viewsnantywatcher

This season-Transition season. on 12:33 - Jan 27 by builthjack

I didn't ask him, but in fairness I wouldn't be the best man to defend our performances under the current regime.
This season-Transition season. on 13:16 - Jan 27 with 909 viewsCatullus

This season-Transition season. on 11:36 - Jan 27 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

We didn't lose the management team, they were all but sacked.

We haven't lost half of the first team.

I'd argue only the centre backs were not adequately replaced.

We spent an incredible amount of money this Summer. We've seen even more money spent this month.

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key first team players in the coming Summer months. Will that render next season a transition season as well?

I have no doubt we'll lose 2-3 key players in Summer 2023. Will that render the 2023-24 season a transitional season as well?

There's no such thing as a transitional season. If results fall below expectations for too long, he'll be gone. If results exceed expectations for too long, he'll be gone.

We haven't spent an incredible amount, that's just hyperbole.

We were left with an unbalanced squad, it'll take time to correct that because we don't have "incredible" amounts to spend.

Fulham spent more on ONE player than we have sent in total.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Login to get fewer ads

This season-Transition season. on 13:21 - Jan 27 with 903 viewsReslovenSwan1

Pep Guardiola had a 'transition season' when he joined Man city. It as a transition season as he had to replace players unsuited to his system. The slow Serbian full back for example. he was replace d by Kyle Walker.

It is silly to say transition season are not required. This does not mean they are not successful transition seasons as seen with Brendan's first season. Brendan transitioned Kuqi and Beattie out of the club but this could not be done overnight. This was a style "transition period" . Beattie actually scored a few belters.

Pep 's win data reflects this. Point per game were well down in his first season.

21/22 2.48
20/21 2.26
19/20 2.13
18/19 2.58
17/18 2.63
16/17 2.05.

Wise sage since Toshack era

This season-Transition season. on 13:27 - Jan 27 with 901 viewsvetchonian

So how about 2006-2007 season that eas a transisiotn season in fact less than that as Roberto was appointed in February yet with no preseason took us to 7th place 3 points short of the playoffs,changing our syle considerably wouldnt you say from how JAckett played

Then the 2009/10 season when Roberto went to Wigan taking with him the entire backroom staff and our top two scorers (36 goals between them) and one of them a classy midfielder too we had another new manager with a different style and philosphy to ROberto yet we still managed to finish a place higher than the season before finish one place below the play offs.

So its not as if we have not seen this before

The club maybe saying it but truly to accept going backwards they would not be happy and backwards we are going.....over halfway through the season and we are still struggling. Great point Tuesday night but it was dire to watch...as others have said Cooper would have been happy/proud of that.
We won on Saturday again the first half was nothing to write home about we got a great goal but ended up with our backs against the wall for the last 10 minutes.

I am not saying we should be a top 6 team but this current squad is definately capable fo being in the top 10 and top 8 even.

We have added quality in Ntcham,Piroe,..even Patterson but the club and by that I mean WInter and Allen have mismanaged this situation...whilst I accpet there is an element of greed from the player this could perhaos have been better managed ....but again on this I am only using my interpretation of the facts.

I am sorry Idont buy into this transitory nonsense it is not the first time or the last time it will happen that the mnagement team changes, or lose players, Geuhi went, Roberts went, Ayew went HOuihane for what he was worth went back too . We decided to sell Lowe..so that was in our control...Roberts was replaced with Laird and Geuhi with Williams who had played for Liverpool in the PL and Champions league last season so was arriving in a better standing than Geuhi did.

Other managers have been parachuted into clubs this season with no preseason etc yet they have managed to take clubs from below us to higher placings in the table Sheffield Utd and Middlesborough spring to mind alongisde the obvious one.

I t seems 3 other managers can arrive at clubs and get them performing with no preseason or any inout to player selection....and instilling change to tactics style of play.

AS Doc P as asked when does the season stop becoming a transisiton?
What happens as has been asked should Piroe get snapped up in the summer, Christie decids not to stay or we cant afford him, Ntcham moves on , Downes get snapped up? DO we face another season of transition?

It is time for folks to take off the rose tinted blinkers and start looking at reality....
IS the football really less boring than we have seen?
IS it more attacking?

I know I am out of step...but my love is for the Swans not managers or players as they are transitory the club is not and I want my club and team to be succesful......I have seen us struggle in the past Ihave been around since pre Toshack days so I know where we have come from.....seen good and bad managers come and go...seen lots of sesaons with Magerial and player changes but never heard the "excuse" of transisiton as much or it all as it is being bandied about now.

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

This season-Transition season. on 13:31 - Jan 27 with 887 viewsonehunglow

This season-Transition season. on 13:27 - Jan 27 by vetchonian

So how about 2006-2007 season that eas a transisiotn season in fact less than that as Roberto was appointed in February yet with no preseason took us to 7th place 3 points short of the playoffs,changing our syle considerably wouldnt you say from how JAckett played

Then the 2009/10 season when Roberto went to Wigan taking with him the entire backroom staff and our top two scorers (36 goals between them) and one of them a classy midfielder too we had another new manager with a different style and philosphy to ROberto yet we still managed to finish a place higher than the season before finish one place below the play offs.

The club maybe saying it but truly to accept going backwards they would not be happy and backwards we are going.....over halfway through the season and we are still struggling. Great point Tuesday night but it was dire to watch...as others have said Cooper would have been happy/proud of that.
We won on Saturday again the first half was nothing to write home about we got a great goal but ended up with our backs against the wall for the last 10 minutes.

I am not saying we should be a top 6 team but this current squad is definately capable fo being in the top 10 and top 8 even.

We have added quality in Ntcham,Piroe,..even Patterson but the club and by that I mean WInter and Allen have mismanaged this situation...whilst I accpet there is an element of greed from the player this could perhaos have been better managed ....but again on this I am only using my interpretation of the facts.

I am sorry Idont buy into this transitory nonsense it is not the first time or the last time it will happen that the mnagement team changes, or lose players, Geuhi went, Roberts went, Ayew went HOuihane for what he was worth went back too . We decided to sell Lowe..so that was in our control...Roberts was replaced with Laird and Geuhi with Williams who had played for Liverpool in the PL and Champions league last season so was arriving in a better standing than Geuhi did.

Other managers have been parachuted into clubs this season with no preseason etc yet they have managed to take clubs from below us to higher placings in the table Sheffield Utd and Middlesborough spring to mind alongisde the obvious one.

I t seems 3 other managers can arrive at clubs and get them performing with no preseason or any inout to player selection....and instilling change to tactics style of play.

What happens as has been asked should Piroe get snapped up in the summer, Christie decids not to stay or we cant afford him, Ntcham moves on , Downes get snapped up? DO we face another season of transition?

It is time for folks to take off the rose tinted blinkers and start looking at reality....
IS it more attacking?

I know I am out of step...but my love is for the Swans not managers or players as they are transitory the club is not and I want my club and team to be succesful......I have seen us struggle in the past Ihave been around since pre Toshack days so I know where we have come from.....seen good and bad managers come and go...seen lots of sesaons with Magerial and player changes but never heard the "excuse" of transisiton as much or it all as it is being bandied about now.

Your last paragraph.
You are not.
The majority feel as you and I do,I would suggest.
It's just of you criticise on here you get uber fans waving genitals in the air.

It i all about the club.

I d not a fig give about Martin ,which was how I felt about Cooper,Monk,Clement,Laudrup even ;it really is all about the club.Manager are merely temporary custodians.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

This season-Transition season. on 13:36 - Jan 27 with 880 viewsWhiterockin

IS it more attacking?

I think you have to look where we are at the end of the season. Currently we have 2 or even 3 games in hand on most of the other teams, 4 points from those would put us top half. If the team progress after this window we can easily be top 10. Play offs are not out of the question with a half decent run, but I expect a finish around 10th place and would be happy with that this season. League positions are false at the moment with teams playing different number of matches.
This season-Transition season. on 13:36 - Jan 27 with 880 viewsReslovenSwan1

IS it more attacking?

Do not confuse transition seasons with successful seasons. You can have both as we saw with Martinez in league 1 and Brendan in the championship. They were both transitional and successful.

Martin to date is less successful but the season is not done. It is not an excuse.

Martin on the other hand has had to deal with no preseason loss of Roberts, Ayew, Guehi and Lowe and Covid disruptions. Martin has incorporated players Cooper did not trust in Latibaeudirere and Manning.

This season-Transition season. on 13:45 - Jan 27 with 859 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 13:21 - Jan 27 by ReslovenSwan1

Pep Guardiola had a 'transition season' when he joined Man city. It as a transition season as he had to replace players unsuited to his system. The slow Serbian full back for example. he was replace d by Kyle Walker.

It is silly to say transition season are not required. This does not mean they are not successful transition seasons as seen with Brendan's first season. Brendan transitioned Kuqi and Beattie out of the club but this could not be done overnight. This was a style "transition period" . Beattie actually scored a few belters.

Pep 's win data reflects this. Point per game were well down in his first season.

21/22 2.48
20/21 2.26
19/20 2.13
18/19 2.58
17/18 2.63
16/17 2.05.

That shows progression, not transition where a season is written off.

The year before he arrived Man City averaged 1.73 points per season.

He considerably bettered that in his first season and kept improving, generally speaking. That’s not transition.

This season-Transition season. on 14:02 - Jan 27 with 838 viewsmagicdaps10

IS it more attacking?

I think with previous managers the style was not being altered dramatically if at all. Martin is coming in here and changing the style fully and with the other issues pointed out in my previous posts.

Transition is a change over time, in this case a change of drastic style and that is clearly not going to happen as quick as when other managers have come in. It's clear to see so far this season, players are comfortable with the ball, passing is better, control and relaxation when receiving the pass is clear.... Already a million miles better to the passing we were seeing last season!
Its coming but we would be Foolish in my opinion expect to be pushing for play off spot based on that we achieved one last season.

Its all about opinions of course but of course there is transition in football, transition is used in all walks of life so it can't be said its not something that is done in football.

This season-Transition season. on 14:14 - Jan 27 with 821 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 13:16 - Jan 27 by Catullus

We haven't spent an incredible amount, that's just hyperbole.

We were left with an unbalanced squad, it'll take time to correct that because we don't have "incredible" amounts to spend.

Fulham spent more on ONE player than we have sent in total.

An incredible amount for us, and compared to most of the league, many who are unable to spend anything at all.

We may be heading to smashing our football league transfer spend come the end of January. I think we are very close to the record right now.

We would be in the top 6 spenders that’s for sure. I’ll do the maths:-

Fulham £19.8
Boro £11.3m
………………………
WBA £7.77m
Swansea City £5.3m
Bournemouth £5.22m
Peterborough £4.74m
………………………
Stoke City £4.19m
Forest £3.1m
QPR £1.67m
Bristol City £1.44m
Preston £1.26m
Blackpool £1.15m
Coventry City £1.08m
Blackburn £1.06m
Sheff Utd £0
Reading £0
Hull City £0
Millwall £0
Huddersfield £0
Derby County £0
Luton Town £0
…………………………
Cardiff City £0
Birmingham £0
Barnsley £0

4th.

That’s without counting what we spent on the elite loans this season.

Wolf - 25 European games including 7 champions league games. 44 Bundesliga appearances. Austria U21’s star with 8 goals in 15 games.

Williams - 24 first team Liverpool games including 7 champions league outings. England U21’s

Then the likes of Christie with 28 Premier League appearances to his name along with 29 caps.

Ethan Laird from Man Utd who is now loaned to one of the leagues favourites for promotion to the Premier League.

We shouldn’t be flirting with the bottom regardless of who is suggesting we should be.
[Post edited 27 Jan 2022 14:48]

This season-Transition season. on 14:39 - Jan 27 with 794 viewsbuilthjack

This season-Transition season. on 13:07 - Jan 27 by nantywatcher

I didn't ask him, but in fairness I wouldn't be the best man to defend our performances under the current regime.

He could be a Man U, Liverpool etc supporter who watches them on the telly.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

This season-Transition season. on 14:48 - Jan 27 with 776 viewsReslovenSwan1

This season-Transition season. on 13:45 - Jan 27 by Dr_Parnassus

That shows progression, not transition where a season is written off.

The year before he arrived Man City averaged 1.73 points per season.

He considerably bettered that in his first season and kept improving, generally speaking. That’s not transition.

You call it 'progression' I call it 'transition'. 'Trans' means crossing. Pep crossed from one style to a different style and this took time to work. He had unsuitable players for the style he wanted. Balotelli had he gone by then? The Serbian full back was too slow. He had players under contract he did not like so much. He could not win with them. Yaya Toure for example.

Transition - moving across. It has nothing to do with success or failure. Martin is changing the style. I hope he understands that the time he is being given has to be translated into loyalty from him. A transitional season id 46 league matches plus any extras. Its a non argument. The club will be hoping the fruits of the transition will be seen before the seasons end.

This season-Transition season. on 14:59 - Jan 27 with 763 viewsjojaca

This season-Transition season. on 09:07 - Jan 27 by Dr_Parnassus

Some fans can’t see it because it doesn’t exist. There is no such thing as a “transition season” - repeating it every 5 minutes won’t make the notion any more real.

We have changed our style many times over the years, we have never needed to write off a whole season before - certainly not when we spend the second highest amount in our football league history to help bring in the players the new manager wants.

We are approaching February and seen no improvement in results, we are actually declining slightly.

The notion of a “transition season” is just an excuse to write off a large chunk of poor results for no apparent reason, without critical confrontation of the facts.

Why are we still transitioning at game 46 but will no longer be transitioning by game 47? It’s an arbitrary time period picked out of the air for convenience rather than for any specific factual purpose.

So while people can use the term til they are blue in the face, it still won’t change the fact that we are underperforming and shouldn’t be.

Very good post, plus the transition season will be no good if Russell leaves us after this season.

Even when you know, you never know?

This season-Transition season. on 15:00 - Jan 27 with 756 viewsDr_Parnassus

This season-Transition season. on 14:48 - Jan 27 by ReslovenSwan1

You call it 'progression' I call it 'transition'. 'Trans' means crossing. Pep crossed from one style to a different style and this took time to work. He had unsuitable players for the style he wanted. Balotelli had he gone by then? The Serbian full back was too slow. He had players under contract he did not like so much. He could not win with them. Yaya Toure for example.

Transition - moving across. It has nothing to do with success or failure. Martin is changing the style. I hope he understands that the time he is being given has to be translated into loyalty from him. A transitional season id 46 league matches plus any extras. Its a non argument. The club will be hoping the fruits of the transition will be seen before the seasons end.

I just call it what it is.

It is said we are doing badly BECAUSE it’s “a season of transition”.

But if seasons of transition and bad seasons don’t go hand in hand, then the explanation behind having a bad season being that it’s “a season of transition” is…. well, nonsense isn’t it.

Pep’s style worked instantly. He bettered the season prior to his arrival quite significantly. If Martin did that then there would be no complaints, then of course over time he could even better that like Pep did.

What Pep didn’t do is take over Man City and flirt with a relegation battle while saying “work in progress, write the season off”.. he did what other managers like Martinez, Sousa, Rodgers and Cooper did for us and bettered the season previous whilst changing the style of play and developing the team.

Teams transition all the time, not in dispute. What’s in dispute is this notion of “season of transition” where you write it off as normal decline from the year before. That part is nonsense.

This season-Transition season. on 15:02 - Jan 27 with 758 viewsAjack_Kerouac

The term 'Transition Season' is, I think, what the youngsters call 'a cope'.

"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid" - "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" - "The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it"

This season-Transition season. on 15:17 - Jan 27 with 746 viewsjasper_T

The term only gets trotted out when progression hasn't gone smoothly on the pitch. Some clubs spend years "in transition" failing to get things right. At others a new regime can hit the ground running for results and you never hear it mentioned.

Writing off an entire season as "transition" is a poor excuse.
This season-Transition season. on 15:50 - Jan 27 with 714 viewsmagicdaps10

This season-Transition season. on 15:17 - Jan 27 by jasper_T

The term only gets trotted out when progression hasn't gone smoothly on the pitch. Some clubs spend years "in transition" failing to get things right. At others a new regime can hit the ground running for results and you never hear it mentioned.

Writing off an entire season as "transition" is a poor excuse.

Interesting to see that the majority see the season as a transitional one but there does appear to be a few who disagree and even think there is no such thing as a transitional season. It's all very interesting how people see things and the mind works.

I come to the conclusion that posters on here seem to be a bit harder on the transition route as people I speak to on a daily basis or ones who go to watch the Swans regular.

Football will certainly divide opinion Wether people understand it or not.

This season-Transition season. on 15:53 - Jan 27 with 710 viewsBadlands

This season-Transition season. on 14:02 - Jan 27 by magicdaps10

I think with previous managers the style was not being altered dramatically if at all. Martin is coming in here and changing the style fully and with the other issues pointed out in my previous posts.

Transition is a change over time, in this case a change of drastic style and that is clearly not going to happen as quick as when other managers have come in. It's clear to see so far this season, players are comfortable with the ball, passing is better, control and relaxation when receiving the pass is clear.... Already a million miles better to the passing we were seeing last season!
Its coming but we would be Foolish in my opinion expect to be pushing for play off spot based on that we achieved one last season.

Its all about opinions of course but of course there is transition in football, transition is used in all walks of life so it can't be said its not something that is done in football.

Moving from playing football to goofball is easy the retun journey is long and painful.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

This season-Transition season. on 16:00 - Jan 27 with 699 viewsvetchonian

This season-Transition season. on 15:53 - Jan 27 by Badlands

Moving from playing football to goofball is easy the retun journey is long and painful.

Didnt take MArtinez long....did JAcket play football?
His results were not bad but people didnt like the syle....Martinez transisiotned our style in less than half a season

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024