Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This QPR - Shades of two previous successful teams 22:39 - Oct 10 with 1570 viewssevenhoop

These are great times. Really good. I’m embarrassed and sorry that I had a go about substitutions earlier in the season. Mick has proved that he knows what he’s doing and is building something potentially special here.

I reckon there are two traits displayed by r’s successful teams of the past:

1. The team spirit is evidently so strong, last seen on Warmock’s title-winning side. It’s palpable.

2. I’ve not seen such an organised team since Gerry Francis’ team of the early 90’s. Doesn’t seem to matter who comes in, he knows his role and the team moves around the pitch as one. Same as Gerry’s

Exciting times and great to see the whole club come together
This QPR - Shades of two previous successful teams on 16:12 - Oct 11 with 1247 viewsParkRoyalR

I agree about the team spirit as the squad is almost wholly now made made up of young pro's trying to make it at the highest level with the exceptions of SJ and Adomah who appear to be model pro's who can only help the group.

I also agree we seem to be better organised of late based on the number of goals conceded and our improved defending from set-pieces.

Friday night completely won me over to Mick as a Manager as like to see Manager's make significant changes in a game to regain the initiative which is what he did by changing to a 3 at the back and pushing the full-backs on, even without Laird.

I was also critical of some of the substitutions earlier in the season, but think we were right to question these, as think our inadequate pre-season was the likely reason Mick made these mistakes, arguably because he did'nt have the time to get a real handle on how players performed at Championship level for 90 minutes.

Chair showed after having a poor 85 minutes at Sunderland why he should'nt have been substituted in earlier games as always has the ability late-on to deliver set-pieces and crosses into the box as he did that game, which those who have watched him for the last 4 seasons already knew. Mick has no doubt now seen first-hand no matter how tired Chair looks, he can drag that extra effort out of himself late in the game and has immense will to win, similar to Sam Field.

Dunne showed in recent games the benefit of a physical Centre Half at Championship level as the occasional mistake is more than compensated by the great defensive work he did in our box on Friday and in recent away games. Ball playing Centre Halves are 'nice to haves' in the championship undoubtedly, but more importantly, you want your Centre Halves to intimidate and harass their man and stop them playing, which is what Dunne does best.

Also thought Beale made a mistake at Charlton (albeit without the squad available to him now) when he subbed off Field and Dykes (I think) and brought on Shodipo and Sinclair leaving us without the benefit of much needed height and physicality to defend the late balls into the box.

What I am most impressed with though, is how quickly Mick is learning in the Championship and prepared to try things and if they don't work, change them.

I could be wrong but I think he may be seeing how the team plays better with Dunne and Dykes as these two do the dirty work which allows the more technically gifted players like Laird, Chair, Willock to play a freer role to such good effect.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024