Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Films . 00:15 - Oct 29 with 1477 viewsRobbie

Silence of the Lambs on tele now , made in 1991 , over 30 years ago .

Know every scene and dialogue off hand , watched it so many times in the past .

Antony Hopkins and Jodie Foster , their roles in this movie , both got to be and included up there with the best .
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 0:20]
Films . on 00:32 - Oct 29 with 1462 viewsraynor94

Remember watching it in the Odeon, a real classic

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Films . on 15:18 - Oct 29 with 1380 viewsWingstandwood

This was a movie about 'characters' as opposed to CGI and special effects.

I thought that Anthony Hopkins and Jodei Foster created brilliant on-screen chemistry because one played off the other brilliantly.

And Buffalo Bills favourite song still sticks in the mind.

Argus!

Films . on 18:19 - Oct 29 with 1337 viewsTogg

Films . on 15:18 - Oct 29 by Wingstandwood

This was a movie about 'characters' as opposed to CGI and special effects.

I thought that Anthony Hopkins and Jodei Foster created brilliant on-screen chemistry because one played off the other brilliantly.

And Buffalo Bills favourite song still sticks in the mind.

A good film but as a huge Stephen King fan ( not all his stuff mind) the film which scared the absolute gonards off me and disturbed me at the same time was the Exorcist.. I think it was William Friedkin who directed and Pete Blatty who wrote it.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 18:23]
Films . on 18:48 - Oct 29 with 1313 viewsWingstandwood

Films . on 18:19 - Oct 29 by Togg

A good film but as a huge Stephen King fan ( not all his stuff mind) the film which scared the absolute gonards off me and disturbed me at the same time was the Exorcist.. I think it was William Friedkin who directed and Pete Blatty who wrote it.
[Post edited 29 Oct 2023 18:23]

I first saw The Exorcist as an underage comprehensive school sneak-in when it was re-released nationwide in a double bill format alongside Exorcist ll: The Heretic in 1980.

I saw it at multi-screen 'Studios Cinema 1-2-3' on St Helens Road which was a converted 1800’s (St Paul’s) church. The movie was projected/viewed in the section of the church that was once many years beforehand the churches crypt.

Watching the movie in an old church with traditional external stonework/architecture added to the whole experience for me, along with the fact that it was in the midst of winter and queuing outside on a cold dark night made the experience even more atmospheric,

It was a brilliant movie! And the fact that it came with notoriety and some ‘reputation’ made people queuing outside on edge even before they had paid for their admission fee.

Argus!

Films . on 19:36 - Oct 29 with 1296 viewsRobbie

Either the Carlton or Albert Hall for my viewing of The Exorcist way back early Seventies .

Again , bunked off School to try and see the film , must have been about 15 at the time .

Reports at the time mentioned cinema goers fainting , throwing up and walking out of the screening , I went back to school next day bragging to my mates about how I got entry in .
Films . on 19:46 - Oct 29 with 1291 viewsonehunglow

Films . on 19:36 - Oct 29 by Robbie

Either the Carlton or Albert Hall for my viewing of The Exorcist way back early Seventies .

Again , bunked off School to try and see the film , must have been about 15 at the time .

Reports at the time mentioned cinema goers fainting , throwing up and walking out of the screening , I went back to school next day bragging to my mates about how I got entry in .

The Plaza was the place

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Films . on 20:28 - Oct 29 with 1282 viewsWingstandwood

Films . on 19:36 - Oct 29 by Robbie

It was a craze with loads of kids belonging to my particular school band forms, they just had to go and see that movie in its 1980 re-release format, because the hype and hysteria was still there from six years previous.

It made many local newspaper stories throughout the U.K with local clergy wanting it banned from their parish area(s).

Some kids from my comp had a real bad reaction to it, and of course that made me even more determined to see it, thinking that this movie is surely a must watch, and not to be missed experience like no other.

I came home and did not sleep a wink that Friday night, there was a howling wind outside and a rattling single pane window (not many double glass sealed UPVC windows in those days) I found every bedspring creak or unexplained external noise unsettling also. The possession in The Exorcist did after all start with unexplained noises. And of course just like the first scene in Jaws what you cannot see is extremely psychological.

I can remember it all like it happened only yesterday. I can even remember the poster displayed by the cinema. Brilliant memories!
https://www.originalposter.co.uk/fulldetails.asp?rid=24693

Argus!

Films . on 06:42 - Oct 30 with 1223 viewsTogg

Films . on 18:48 - Oct 29 by Wingstandwood

I first saw The Exorcist as an underage comprehensive school sneak-in when it was re-released nationwide in a double bill format alongside Exorcist ll: The Heretic in 1980.

I saw it at multi-screen 'Studios Cinema 1-2-3' on St Helens Road which was a converted 1800’s (St Paul’s) church. The movie was projected/viewed in the section of the church that was once many years beforehand the churches crypt.

Watching the movie in an old church with traditional external stonework/architecture added to the whole experience for me, along with the fact that it was in the midst of winter and queuing outside on a cold dark night made the experience even more atmospheric,

It was a brilliant movie! And the fact that it came with notoriety and some ‘reputation’ made people queuing outside on edge even before they had paid for their admission fee.

You described that brilliantly. Sneaked in too. Albert Hall if I remember.rightly.
Login to get fewer ads

Films . on 08:50 - Oct 30 with 1199 viewsWingstandwood

Films . on 06:42 - Oct 30 by Togg

You described that brilliantly. Sneaked in too. Albert Hall if I remember.rightly.

Jaws was shown in The Albert Hall also, great times because the general public and press/media really did help play a major part by creating/fueling excitement/hysteria that meant that queues went right around the block.

What a "that was then this is now" comparison with today. I cannot ever imagine seeing queues like that in this day and age, times and society have changed.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 9:03]

Argus!

Films . on 09:26 - Oct 30 with 1186 viewsRobbie

Blockbusters , as the Americans call them sell out films .
Films . on 09:52 - Oct 30 with 1176 viewsWingstandwood

Films . on 09:26 - Oct 30 by Robbie

Blockbusters , as the Americans call them sell out films .

'Event movie' is another word, movies such as Jaws, The Exorcist and Star Wars. They were must-see when everyone you talked to at the time had either seen the movie, wanted to go and see it, or knew someone who had.

And it was wall-to-wall press/media build up many months before the movie(s) had even arrived on U.K shores, courtesy of the fact that the U.K always followed a long time after these movies were premiered over in the U.S.

And when the cinema-movie-spools were up and running? The U.K press/media went into full out Barnum And Bailey promotion mode!

Argus!

Films . on 09:52 - Oct 30 with 1174 viewsonehunglow

Films . on 08:50 - Oct 30 by Wingstandwood

Jaws was shown in The Albert Hall also, great times because the general public and press/media really did help play a major part by creating/fueling excitement/hysteria that meant that queues went right around the block.

What a "that was then this is now" comparison with today. I cannot ever imagine seeing queues like that in this day and age, times and society have changed.
[Post edited 30 Oct 2023 9:03]

My mum saw that when it came out and didn’t swim in the sea for a good year afterwards . She was a very strong and regular swimmer too.

Films . on 11:19 - Oct 30 with 1154 viewsWingstandwood

Films . on 09:52 - Oct 30 by onehunglow

My mum saw that when it came out and didn’t swim in the sea for a good year afterwards . She was a very strong and regular swimmer too.

It's a very psychological movie, the books author said that it struck an instictive primeval nerve in the minds of many. The fear of something unseen and deadly lurking beneath is understandable, quite similar to fear of the dark in an unfamilar area e.g. what is ahead at the end of that narrow unlit winding lane etc.

Argus!

Films . on 13:06 - Oct 30 with 1131 viewsRobbie

Just done a bit of digging about on Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells and its link to The Exorcist .

Found a clip on You Tube , looks like promo material trailer and editing , some shots of the original The Exorcist , worth a watch for the 6 minutes duration .
Films . on 13:15 - Oct 30 with 1125 viewsonehunglow

Films . on 13:06 - Oct 30 by Robbie

Just done a bit of digging about on Mike Oldfields Tubular Bells and its link to The Exorcist .

Found a clip on You Tube , looks like promo material trailer and editing , some shots of the original The Exorcist , worth a watch for the 6 minutes duration .

Tubular Bells is stamped in our souls for all time
Nothing like it before or since

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024