Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Love Football - Protect the Game - Referees also need to earn respect !! 18:28 - Nov 23 with 837 viewsJules4367

I was taught - “respect is earned not simply given”

I am against abuse of referees by players but equally believe they are a contributor to the issue!
Over the last couple of seasons I have written to all bodies, tv, papers etc and have had no reply.

Am I missing something regarding respect for referees and their assistants - should it not be earned as opposed to just given? - no stupid/comical replies please-

This is what I have written- hopefully some of you will read it, others may not and that’s fine!

I am a season ticket holder and have seen my fair share of matches over the years. I am also an avid watcher of Rugby Union and there is a marked difference in the respect afforded to referees between the two!

There are for me three very pertinent and highly important issues:-

1:- There should be a no tolerance, no touching policy. The rules for dissent are clear and each and every party who approaches a referee Other than the captain (as in Rugby) should be immediately booked for dissent and once booked- if they do not walk away- then they get booked again and red carded- unequivocal and easy to immediately implement AT ALL levels!

2. I have noticed - with increasing frustration- that crowd dissent in football is significant and something the players play to (as opposed to Rugby where the referee’s decision is often explained or is at least respected)
However, irrespective of item 1. It should be noted that referees (and assistant referees) ( that I have watched regularly) often needlessly contribute to crowd dissatisfaction and dissent and there are some simple remedies which can be implemented to reduce this! I have written numerous letters to refereeing organisations with no reply!
Please note we watch fouls and throw ins right in front of the assistant referee and the crowd can see what the assistant has seen but so so often, the referee gives a decision totally opposite to what clearly the assistant would have seen and immediately angers the crowd, if not the players! Time and again assistants keep their flags down until the referee points or advises and then they raise their flag to the derision and annoyance of all!
My understanding of this debacle is that the referee decides prior to the game what he wants the assistant to help with and quite often this is solely ‘offsides’ and the ref makes all other decisions and overrides the assistant! BUT the crowd do NOT know this and their frustration is at both referee AND assistant!
In Rugby the touchline judge /assistant is not overridden and contributes to the implementation of the rules and awards of fouls and touchline decisions!
Why then have referees become allowed to override assistants who are in the spot, whereas the referees are often away from the action??
I’d be very surprised if I am the only one who has become exasperated and often annoyed by this - give assistants the same power of decision making as Rugby and let the watching public know!!
This will greatly reduce public voicing dissatisfaction, will lead to a growing respect of the judging team and that will transfer to the pitch!

3. Referees are never seen to be ‘culpable’, no one is allowed to criticise them and managers are not allowed to approach them! This is a further cause of frustration as referees present as ‘holier than thou’ when clearly they are not! Referees make mistakes and this appears to all in the game to be swept under the carpet! In other sports referees are independently audited and criticised but how often does anyone hear of a formal apology and where there is so much money involved such mistakes cost teams etc money !
Saying it all evens out over the season or some other crass sweeping statement is not an answer. Make referees culpable!!

So no 1 is essential and unequivocal but, for referees to be respected across the board, please do not ignore items 2 and 3!!

I have tried to seek explanations from TV pundits, refereeing bodies and, as yet, no replies!! Are referees that perfect that what I am suggesting is so irrelevant or is there some truth in it?! - your printing of not will provide my answer!!)

(I doubt that this will be published as it suggests that referees are contributing to the issue! Clearly they ARE but they should not be abused! But they AND THE GOVERNING BODIES NEED TO KNOW AND, WHAT US MORE, ACKNOWLEDGE AND ACCEPT what REFEREES ARE DOING that raises the ire of players and supporters alike!!)

Thank you
[Post edited 23 Nov 2023 18:43]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024