Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Costa Rica 13:59 - Jul 28 with 2553 viewsHoopza_Lawski

I am planning on going on holiday to Costa Rica in mid November for around 15-16 days and I was wondering if any of you well travelled lot had been there and had any tips etc. ?
I was thinking of staying in San Jose and doing day trips from there.I would like
4-5 days relaxing and the rest doing day trips.I like nature and wildlife so some national parks,volcano trip,maybe horse trekking,anything really.
I have not booked anything yet so open to different options.
Thanks
Costa Rica on 14:04 - Jul 28 with 2546 viewsPacal_Votan

It's got lots of foresty stuff and San jose is a bit of a rough house.

i never got that job at lonely planet.

"Try the whine!!!"

Costa Rica on 16:55 - Jul 28 with 2509 viewsyankranger

I used to go once a year for a guys surf trip weekend. So I was always in the beach towns, but went to a different one each years.

* don't stay in san jose. it is not nice at all. get off the plane and get out. they have small airlines that do quick flights out of there. nature air is one of them.
* Jaco - closest beach to san jose, about 90 minute drive. not a nice beach. hookers and drugs all over. very developed, has a kfc, etc.
* Monetzuma - can take a boat here from Jaco. cool little hippy beach town, a few waterfalls by to explore. very laid back. not too developed.
* malpais/santa teresa - was my favorite. gorgeous beaches, totally undeveloped. great waves.
* tamarindo - nice beach town, was getting developed but this was bout ten years ago now. good restaurants etc.
* arenal is where to go for the volcano, but i never made it there. also, there is a cloud forest which is supposed to be great.

I'd recommend to go from san jose to arenal and do the forest stuff. then get to the beaches for a few days to relax. love costa rica, enjoy it.
Costa Rica on 17:17 - Jul 28 with 2493 viewsqueensparker

Another vote for Malpais and Arenal.

I wouldn't bother staying in San Jose - it's pretty grim. Maybe base yourself on the south coast somewhere, Costa Rica's not that big a place.

Been a few times and had my honeymoon there for three weeks - we split it between one week 'relaxing' in a luxury place up north in Arenal under the volcano, which was amazing. Perfect place to chill and a lot to do round there: walks, nature reserves etc.

Then hired a 4x4 and drove down to the surf towns on the south coast, and definitely preferred Malpais and that area. Quite laid back and surfy, so not the most luxurious, but a beautiful part of the world. (I wouldn't hire a car though, unless you like driving through rivers and looking over the edges of canyons while coaches come thundering past the other way)

I'll see if I can dig out where we stayed in Malpais, was owned by an Irish guy called Aidan who had settled over there and he was a great bloke, sorted us out with everything and laid on some amazing food.

EDIT: this is the place in Malpais/Santa Teresa: http://www.moanalodge.com/index.html Totally recommend it, was great
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Costa Rica on 17:29 - Jul 28 with 2481 views1MoreBrightonR

I was in central america for nearly 4 months travelling around before christmas. I only spent three days in Costa Rica travelling through by bus but would agree with everyone on San Jose...complete dump. One of my least favourite places in central America!

I'd skip Costa Rica and go to Nicaragua...but i was travelling on a tiny budget and nicaragua was cheap so i may be biased.
Costa Rica on 18:08 - Jul 28 with 2463 viewsbarbicanranger

Hoopza, I did a 3 week holiday there 2 years back, some comments below:

San Jose - agree with most comments not a lot to do there but it's not as bad as people make out, maybe do a day there then take off, rather than making day trips out of there and using it as a base.

Travel - i have travelled extensively through latin america and costa rica really is the best geared up for tourists - nature air is good shout if you want to fly and see the country as their planes are all props and not jets. However, we rented a small jeep and the service was brilliant they dropped it off at our hotel in San Jose, it had a sat nav and they picked it back up once we reached our destination - Playa Grande. We used adobe - a local company and very well run. The roads aren't too bad either although as with all Latin America can be a little hairy at times.

Itinerary - we did San Jose to Arenal to Playa Grande to Nicaragua.

Arenal - we stayed at a place called essence Arenal - you'd need a hire car to get there but it's on the side which the volcano erupts so each night you can sit and watch the hot rock shows. In Arenal you can sort rafting, horse riding, trekking and zip wiring out - the Zip wire at Sky Tram is EPIC.

Playa Grande - is a chilled out surf town we spent 5 days just relaxing there.

Nicaragua - a friend of mine convinced us to factor it into our trip and it was worth it. A word of warning though - it's proper carnage and under developed. If you go try Isla Ometepe (most magical place I have ever been to) and the colonial town of Granada from there you can do day trips to a volcano crater, mangroves and local towns. From Granda you can get a flight or bus back to San Jose - the bus is 8 hours and they facilitate the border crossing so its a piece of cake.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Costa Rica on 18:52 - Jul 28 with 2442 viewsjamois

Hoopza

Just seen this. I live in Costa Rica. I left the UK 2 years ago and I live in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais. I'm also extremely familiar with Nicaragua and Panama as we've been travelling the region on and off for a number of years. Would be very happy to give you my rundown. I can give you specifics on places to stay etc. But cannot be bothered to write it all up without knowing your specifics! Skype perhaps? Send me a private message...

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Costa Rica on 23:36 - Jul 28 with 2406 viewsbarbicanranger

Costa Rica on 18:52 - Jul 28 by jamois

Hoopza

Just seen this. I live in Costa Rica. I left the UK 2 years ago and I live in Santa Teresa/Mal Pais. I'm also extremely familiar with Nicaragua and Panama as we've been travelling the region on and off for a number of years. Would be very happy to give you my rundown. I can give you specifics on places to stay etc. But cannot be bothered to write it all up without knowing your specifics! Skype perhaps? Send me a private message...

Pura vida!
Costa Rica on 11:43 - Jul 29 with 2364 viewsjamois

Costa Rica on 23:36 - Jul 28 by barbicanranger

Pura vida!

Lol. But i come back to earn some dosh from now till Nov. So I get games in on my season tik which i still renew. Old habits die hard.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Login to get fewer ads

Costa Rica on 19:33 - Jul 29 with 2309 viewsHoopza_Lawski

Thanks everyone for all the great info,its been very helpful.I now might leave out San Jose as a base,so lots to think about!
Jamois,is it ok to send you a private message in the next few weeks when I have a better idea of a schedule?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024