Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Surreal conversation about QPR in Antigua 16:18 - Nov 21 with 1700 viewstommyg01

Just back from a week away in Antigua with the wife. We did the "around the island tour" on Monday and had a weird conversation with the driver/tour guide Sean whilst we drove past the The Viv Richards stadium (built for the Cricket World Cup 5 years ago). Apparently they get bigger crowds there now for the Antigua football matches than the cricket and most of the youngsters wear Premier league tops. So he asked the dreaded question of which team I support and I was suprised just how much Sean knew about QPR, from our survival last season to our struggle this one and how optimistic he was that we would survive (I struggled to be so optimistic).

After seeing the result last Saturday on bbc world news, I then got to see the whole match on Fox soccer plus (unfortunately), which was followed by a panel discussion on Mark Hughes and should he keep his job. They all agreed that in one of the best football leagues in the world, his stats just didn't add up to him staying and basically they thought he should have already been replaced.

Back this morning to a wet and windy south east bbbrrrr. Roll on Man Utd, a make or break in more ways than one.

Tom

Surreal conversation about QPR in Antigua on 16:34 - Nov 21 with 1644 viewsTacticalR

The importance of the Premier League (and other European leagues) is one of the most interesting phenomena in world sport. Even in the USA, with its tradition of American sports, the younger football (soccer) fans have a wide knowledge of what is going on in world football.

Air hostess clique

Surreal conversation about QPR in Antigua on 18:41 - Nov 21 with 1428 viewsSomersetHoops

I would think anyone who watches the premier league from overseas including Malasia and other places where Tony wants to maintain a winning image will not be able to understand why Hughes is still in post.

After the ruthless way Abramovich acts after results much better than ours even taking into account the difference in resources Tony Fernandes as a very public chairman will be compared to that. Unless Tony acts now he will be seen as a weak chairman prepared to accept failure and that image will be associated with his main busines enterprises.

Who's Next?

Surreal conversation about QPR in Antigua on 19:07 - Nov 21 with 1379 viewsTacticalR

Thanks for bringing that up.

Air hostess clique

Surreal conversation about QPR in Antigua on 20:05 - Nov 21 with 1303 viewstommyg01

Yes I agree that having a team in such a high profile league, needs strong leadership and clearly the American presenters couldn't understand this idea of giving Mark more time. I guess a heavy defeat on Saturday might make Tony's decision easier/harder. With Harry supposedly interested in the Ukraine job, it mounts a massive amount pressure on Mark's shoulders and is pushing Tony towards making a quick decision.If we could get a point on Saturday this would help settle everyone, but recent interviews with Mark haven't instilled much confidence in things changing soon. I have to say I was very impressed with Fox's coverage of all the matches, replayed in full over the weekend, although some of the terminology is clearly more aimed towards American football than soccer.

Tom

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024