Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We should be proud of our start to the season. 07:32 - Nov 6 with 1259 viewsNOTRAC

Whilst there has been a large degree of doom and gloom on here since Sunday a reality check reveals that we have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of so far this season.
Our first season in Europe for over twenty years has seen us play and beat teams from Romania,Switzerland,Sweden and Spain (and hopefully Russia this evening )
In the league we have had a tough start but lost narrowly to Spurs and Arsenal,drawn with Liverpool and beaten West Brom and Crystal Palace away and Sunder land at home.
Our only 'bad ' results have been against Birmingham in the League Cup,Man Utd andSouthampton where the end results did us no justice ,and Cardiff last Saturday .
If however we truly analyse Cardiff as a team,I think we have to admit that they are not going to be the pushover particularly at home as we would hope to believe.They won the Championship last year very easily and have spent £30m on players since then.That is far mor e than we have spent on players this year and vastly more than we spent when we were promoted.Their goalie is playing out of his skin and they obviously have a very good defence with Caulker and Medal outstanding players.
The other point to consider is that last week was the first full week that we have had since before the start of the season without a mid week match or players away on International duty.
To date we have played 18 games (compared to Cardiff's 12).We have won 7 drawn 4 and lost 7.scoring 28 goals for and 18 against.At least half of our regular players have played in International games as well.
I think therefore that in the circumstances taking into account the necessary player rotation , the quantity of games and the quality of opposition particularly in the Premiership, we should be proud of our achievements to date as well as being proud of our players and manager who have done exceedingly well so far in a very difficult start to the season.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 07:45 - Nov 6 with 1238 viewsQuientus

Well said :-)

Problem is alot of fans seem sometimes to succumb to some megalomanic tendencies and think that their team should be able to play "better" and compete "better", despite having a tough schedule ... If HJ really thinks his team should aim as High as he alluded in his interview, then perhaps more funds should be made available ?

As the OP states; having to play both in Europe aswell as in the EPL each week will take it's toll, and Swansea has been doing pretty good so far ...
We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:00 - Nov 6 with 1163 viewsScoobyWho

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 07:45 - Nov 6 by Quientus

Problem is alot of fans seem sometimes to succumb to some megalomanic tendencies and think that their team should be able to play "better" and compete "better", despite having a tough schedule ... If HJ really thinks his team should aim as High as he alluded in his interview, then perhaps more funds should be made available ?

As the OP states; having to play both in Europe aswell as in the EPL each week will take it's toll, and Swansea has been doing pretty good so far ...

All i have read is that fans want effort and in recent times that effort has been missing,
You can analyse it as much as you like but the attitude of players and staff isn't good enough.

As Huw has already intimated in the press.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:05 - Nov 6 with 1149 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 07:45 - Nov 6 by Quientus

He should make more funds available?
HJ has lavishly splashed out for the gaffer and one of our record signings is away on loan at Sunderland whilst his successor as record signing can't play more than a game at a time before being out for weeks again. Then we spent £6 million on JJS .
That strikes me as an outlay of £16 million without an awful lot in the way of a return.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:15 - Nov 6 with 1138 viewsshandyjack

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:05 - Nov 6 by Brynmill_Jack

He should make more funds available?
HJ has lavishly splashed out for the gaffer and one of our record signings is away on loan at Sunderland whilst his successor as record signing can't play more than a game at a time before being out for weeks again. Then we spent £6 million on JJS .
That strikes me as an outlay of £16 million without an awful lot in the way of a return.

Don't forget Pablo who has been injured more than he has played, that makes 21.5m.
I agree with the OP though, the start of the season has not been a major disaster, it's just that there are too many games where we don't seem to be putting in 100%, St Gallen, Kuban, Cardiff and West Ham spring to mind.

Poll: Expectation for the season

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:18 - Nov 6 with 1132 viewsperchrockjack

Not a disaster but not sure its one we can be said to be proud of.

Depends on your outlook and whether or not you want to be ripped into on an internet chat room.

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:24 - Nov 6 with 1119 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:15 - Nov 6 by shandyjack

Don't forget Pablo who has been injured more than he has played, that makes 21.5m.
I agree with the OP though, the start of the season has not been a major disaster, it's just that there are too many games where we don't seem to be putting in 100%, St Gallen, Kuban, Cardiff and West Ham spring to mind.

Pablo is included, the one that can't play more than one game for weeks. I must have missed someone out

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:35 - Nov 6 with 1108 viewsmonmouth

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:24 - Nov 6 by Brynmill_Jack

Pablo is included, the one that can't play more than one game for weeks. I must have missed someone out

The one that Laudrup won't play for more than 20 mins at a time might inflate your argument Bryn......

As I see it, expectations and performance are out of kilter, whatever the reason, and woever is right or wrong. For my part, I believe anyone who thinks we're not in a perennial fight for survival has a few 'napoleon' issues, but that anyone who thinks that the performance last week is adequate has too low an ambition for us. Again, in my view, but I know it's shared by some, it is a confidence and momentum issue. With confidence and belief we will become more incicive and gain momentum. Then success breeds success. No better time to start than by qualifying for the last 32 of a european competition.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:44 - Nov 6 with 1086 viewsQuientus

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:00 - Nov 6 by ScoobyWho

All i have read is that fans want effort and in recent times that effort has been missing,
You can analyse it as much as you like but the attitude of players and staff isn't good enough.

As Huw has already intimated in the press.

I'm not disputing the fact that Swansea has already spent a good deal of Money, nor am I disputing that the return on the cash spent so far has been somewhat "disappointing" so far. However, having success in the Europa League and prioritizing that A bit higher at the moment in my opinion, is quite understandable, even though I can understand the desiré of the more avid fans, that Swansea should / could compete equally well in the EPL, it's just difficult given the size and monetary situation of a club with Swansea's current stature ...
Login to get fewer ads

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:46 - Nov 6 with 1081 views_

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:35 - Nov 6 by monmouth

The one that Laudrup won't play for more than 20 mins at a time might inflate your argument Bryn......

As I see it, expectations and performance are out of kilter, whatever the reason, and woever is right or wrong. For my part, I believe anyone who thinks we're not in a perennial fight for survival has a few 'napoleon' issues, but that anyone who thinks that the performance last week is adequate has too low an ambition for us. Again, in my view, but I know it's shared by some, it is a confidence and momentum issue. With confidence and belief we will become more incicive and gain momentum. Then success breeds success. No better time to start than by qualifying for the last 32 of a european competition.

Genuine question or request to you mate, as one of the more reasoned posters on here.

Have you watched the game back from Sunday?

You're all out of time....the past was yours but the future's mine.
Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:47 - Nov 6 with 1079 views_

Excellent OP by the way.

Perspective.

Poll: With what we've seen since June, Potter in, players out etc, are the Americans

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:52 - Nov 6 with 1071 viewsperchrockjack

I am of the mentality that we can stay in this league as long as our mentality is right and I don't see bowing down to the "big" clubs are desirable. I DO NOT LIKE THIS PART OF ml s make up although in the dressing room he could be a banshee extoling the virtues of commitment,pride, hard work and 100 % effort as a given.

We re very well run and made significant investment this summer and the players haven't been able to repay so far for whatever reason. We cannot afford to waste money as we appear to have with Ki and Id suggest PABLO as he is either to frail or too unlucky to produce for us and this means more than a few cameo jobs.
Bony is either lacking support -as some suggest- or simply pissedoff or too idle to make things happen for himself. To me 12 m is a lot for us to pay and we should have seen the benefits by now.
We have also possibly wasted money on JJS who s got talent but seemingly no brain at all and we cannot afford passengers in this regard.
Amat doesn't seem too bad but is a shadown of who we should have gone ballsout to sign and that was Caulker a big,skilful,committed and clever player.
Anyway,what s for lunch

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:52 - Nov 6 with 1071 viewsBrynmill_Jack

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:35 - Nov 6 by monmouth

That would take us up to nearer £30 million if it 's the one I'm thinking of.
Europe could perversely get us our mojo back , and a couple of doable draws could see us in the quarter finals. Confidence would be at a high and we would start nailing some teams in the league again. I think the FA cup could provide some light relief for us, too.
I think the upcoming transfer window could be key for us, but I'd be happy with a couple of rally good loanees

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:53 - Nov 6 with 1069 viewsperchrockjack

Why doom and gloom again> Is there a template out there as its becoming a very common phrase.

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:23 - Nov 6 with 1020 viewsmonmouth

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 09:46 - Nov 6 by _

Genuine question or request to you mate, as one of the more reasoned posters on here.

Have you watched the game back from Sunday?

No, and yes to your implied point, my reaction is still emotional rather than analytical and it is the second half that is fresh in my suppressed memory.

Having said that, I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about the next few games in my current bipolar world, but I am realistic too......all these games are tough and all points are precious. If Scummer Away reminds everyone of that, it may have served a useful if painful purpose.

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 1013 viewsperchrockjack

"reasoned poster"
Dear GOD

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:25 - Nov 6 with 1013 views_

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:23 - Nov 6 by monmouth

No, and yes to your implied point, my reaction is still emotional rather than analytical and it is the second half that is fresh in my suppressed memory.

Having said that, I'm actually feeling quite optimistic about the next few games in my current bipolar world, but I am realistic too......all these games are tough and all points are precious. If Scummer Away reminds everyone of that, it may have served a useful if painful purpose.

If you've still got it on Sky or wherever I'd ask you to watch it again.

It really isn't as bad as the reaction its caused. I'm sorry, but its not.

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:28 - Nov 6 with 1006 viewsmonmouth

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:25 - Nov 6 by _

If you've still got it on Sky or wherever I'd ask you to watch it again.

It really isn't as bad as the reaction its caused. I'm sorry, but its not.

I don't have Sky, and I'm not sure I could stomach it, but I will take your word for it. It's dull to try and evaluate a derby at the time it happens anyway, I should know that by now, they bear no relation to 'normal' games. I'm on the upswing now; roll on tomorrow.

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:31 - Nov 6 with 994 viewsperchrockjack

Don't mention swinging to me Monny as it might get a reaction.

I m AC/DC at the moment but find it hard to honesty say Stoke is something to look forward to. I fear Crouch. It was he who screwed us last year at Brittania when he was given a free header . Maybe we should have leaned and we don't seem to be.
Stoke will be like West Ham only with a fella that can head a ball into the net with his eyes closed.

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:35 - Nov 6 with 989 views_

We should be proud of our start to the season. on 11:28 - Nov 6 by monmouth

I don't have Sky, and I'm not sure I could stomach it, but I will take your word for it. It's dull to try and evaluate a derby at the time it happens anyway, I should know that by now, they bear no relation to 'normal' games. I'm on the upswing now; roll on tomorrow.

Good man.

I remember stood there second half thinking we weren't looking like scoring.

That probably came from a mixture of them being as well organised as they were, or fearing it and just the general pessimism one gets from being a goal down in the derby.

When you see the first 15 minutes of the second half back though, you can see them almost trying to play like us, seriously. It seemed they were trying to prove to the press, MOTD and Sky pundits, fans that they can pass it too. Medel was gaining in confidence and you could see him become almost arrogant, but of course he was getting that way. Michu, who would've been closing him down was getting his ankle strapped - I mean, come on.... if you're injured son, get off, don't waste 6 or 7 minutes and then still not be able to continue.

The long pass from the fat poodle to Theophile that led to the goal wouldn't have happened if we'd have made the change earlier.

Canas should've come on and got straight into that fat boy.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024