Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! 13:37 - Sep 6 with 902 views18StoneOfHoop

Catch it on BBC I-player,very good with rare footage and excellent David Coleman interview.
Eventually they come to his rather unfortunate love of C***sea.
And what picture do they chose to illustrate this?
Only Don Givens leaving Dave Webb
in his wake as he bangs in a volley in Rangers famous
3-0 humbling of the Blues in Dave Sexton's sensational return in front of 38,917 0n 28th December 1974. Which was nice.

Just been looking through Google images and can't find that wonderful black-and-white picture but deffo seen it before on the 'puter - at QPR Report? - can anyone more tech savvy than me access it?

Directed by Dickie,Young Winston (1972) on now,started 1:40pm BBC2.
Corrrr...Winston's Mum - played by Mel Brook's missus Anne Bancroft AKA Mrs Robinson - is a right sort!

Anyone at Stamford Bridge that memorable day?
Would love to read about it seeing as there is no extant YouTube footage of the two Givens and one Gerry goal.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 14:04]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! on 14:30 - Sep 6 with 849 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Yes indeed I was there. Sat in the West stand amongst the scum fans.

I only remember two of the goals. Both at the shed end (I think all three were?). One by Givens where he rounded their keeper on the edge/middle of the box and the ball ran wide to the right of the goal and still some way out. He in my opinion then scuffed his shot which went low to the left hand corner. Everyone there thought it would be easily cleared off the line by one of two defenders running back at speed but they were running so fast they actually couldn't stop to clear the slow moving ball which then went behind them and rolled slowly into the corner of the net.

The Francis one was an absolute screamer from all of 25 yards just to the right of the goal. Went like a bullet into the top left hand corner. We then had an agonising couple of minutes whilst the ref and linesman decided if the Rs forward was offside as the linesman had raised his flag as the ball went in. Thankfully the Ref gave it which was unusual back then with the strict offside rule in place.

We absolutely outplayed them that day and 3-0 flattered them.
Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! on 17:16 - Sep 6 with 757 views18StoneOfHoop

Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! on 14:30 - Sep 6 by Sudbury_Hill_R

Yes indeed I was there. Sat in the West stand amongst the scum fans.

I only remember two of the goals. Both at the shed end (I think all three were?). One by Givens where he rounded their keeper on the edge/middle of the box and the ball ran wide to the right of the goal and still some way out. He in my opinion then scuffed his shot which went low to the left hand corner. Everyone there thought it would be easily cleared off the line by one of two defenders running back at speed but they were running so fast they actually couldn't stop to clear the slow moving ball which then went behind them and rolled slowly into the corner of the net.

The Francis one was an absolute screamer from all of 25 yards just to the right of the goal. Went like a bullet into the top left hand corner. We then had an agonising couple of minutes whilst the ref and linesman decided if the Rs forward was offside as the linesman had raised his flag as the ball went in. Thankfully the Ref gave it which was unusual back then with the strict offside rule in place.

We absolutely outplayed them that day and 3-0 flattered them.

Thanks for that Sudbury_Hill_R Good reading.

There's this from Indy R's too:
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2010/07/chelsea-0-qpr-3-28th-december-1974-our-first-lea

I note that David Webb was playing for R's that day and we were in the lovely red and white quarters shirts as opposed to the photo I saw, during the Dickie Darling Luvvie tribute, which had Webbie in a C***s shirt and Givens in hoops - so therefore it looks likely to have been the 3-3 draw the previous season at the Bridge on February 23rd 1974 when Stan scored a brace and Don Givens the other in front of 34,264.
We also beat them at LR in the FA Cup 3rd round replay after a goalless draw in SW6,1-0 Stan got the goal.
So that's 2 wins & 2 draws v Scum in 1974. Not a bad year at all.
Perhaps to mark the 40th anniversary Ian J Taylor should invite the C**ts PA system m-c who was taking the piss out of us at half-time on January 2nd 2013 ?

It's a cracking pic - I do hope some passing QPR history afficionado sees this and can stick it up on this thread.

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! on 17:34 - Sep 6 with 735 viewsSudbury_Hill_R

Sir Dickie tribute Sat 6th Sept on BBC2 ..suddenly GIVENS! on 17:16 - Sep 6 by 18StoneOfHoop

Thanks for that Sudbury_Hill_R Good reading.

There's this from Indy R's too:
http://www.indyrs.co.uk/2010/07/chelsea-0-qpr-3-28th-december-1974-our-first-lea

I note that David Webb was playing for R's that day and we were in the lovely red and white quarters shirts as opposed to the photo I saw, during the Dickie Darling Luvvie tribute, which had Webbie in a C***s shirt and Givens in hoops - so therefore it looks likely to have been the 3-3 draw the previous season at the Bridge on February 23rd 1974 when Stan scored a brace and Don Givens the other in front of 34,264.
We also beat them at LR in the FA Cup 3rd round replay after a goalless draw in SW6,1-0 Stan got the goal.
So that's 2 wins & 2 draws v Scum in 1974. Not a bad year at all.
Perhaps to mark the 40th anniversary Ian J Taylor should invite the C**ts PA system m-c who was taking the piss out of us at half-time on January 2nd 2013 ?

It's a cracking pic - I do hope some passing QPR history afficionado sees this and can stick it up on this thread.

Thanks for the link too. Funny how I can remember something from 40 years ago almost as the press report says when I struggle to remember games from last season. Getting old for sure.

I attended all of those games that year. The two cup games were early kick offs due to the miners strike and three day week. No electricity for the floodlights. Francis had a penalty saved by John Phillips in the 0-0 away game and Stanley scored on a midweek afternoon kick off to send us through. I bunked off school for that game as I did for the first replay date which was postponed by a waterlogged pitch at HQ.
[Post edited 6 Sep 2014 17:40]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024