Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
My thoughts on today 23:37 - Aug 20 with 674 viewsDWQPR

My expecations before the match was that the team would show a lot of pride after last week, but faced with a team, boasting the likes of Jagielka, Dustin, Baines, Filanni, Rodwell, Arteta, Cahill, Saha I still felt that we would be lucky to cone away with a 3-0 reverse.

But how wrong was I other than a team showing a lot of pride. From the kick off Rangers looked a whole lot more composed than last week, looking to be more patient, retain possession and not be hurried, if a passing move ended with it going back to Kenny, then so be it, we done it. In fact Smith was unlucky not to put us ahead early on with a snap shot after a good passing move down the left, but at that stage, little did I know that this was a taste of things to come. After this early chance Everton started to take a bit more control, and they had a couple of half chances with balls that fizzed across the goal. With 25 minutes on the clock, they won a free kick on the edge of the penalty area and Baines curled. Great effort that hit the underside of the bar, fortunately for us there was nobody to follow it up and the ball was cleared.

Then the spell of football for the next five minutes totally changed the game. Frankly Everton could not get near the ball as Rangers passed and moved and passed and moved. It was great to watch, with 'oles' ringing out from the away support, the ball was moved forward one the left, cut back and found Tommy Smith on the penalty spot, he turned, looked up, and with minimal effort, curled the ball into the bottom corner. From where we were sitting, it seemed to take an age, the ball passed the outstretched hands of Howard, it past the post, and now with everybody preparing to celebrate, would the net stop the progression of the ball. It certainly did and 1,800 supporters went mad. Sheer pandemonium. And it was no more than the men in mango deserved. Within five minutes of the goal, a super ball from Buzsaky almost sent Dave through, but he just couldn't fend of the attention of Dustin. The remaining part of the half went without any further threat to either goal. A great first half performance, but the feeling was whether we could stain the performance and keep out their obviously superior team.

And what did we have to worry about. The second half, Everton put on more pressure and pushed Rangers back, but the defence to a man was superb, from Orr on the right to Connolly on the left and Hall and Gabbidon in the middle, never out paced, or out challenged and then there was Shaun Derry. To sum up his performance today, on the way home we stopped off at the services on the M6 toll. Whilst chatting amongst ourselves two Everton supporters came up to congratulate us for the win and proceeded to say that we could choose any two players from their midfield, I was in the process of nominating Fellini and Cahill, when they said, 'in return for Shaun Derry'. No thanks I said, you can keep your two, and we will keep Derry. No deal, not even with Panini stickers!

The midfield to a man worked their socks off, even Taraabt chased back, made tackles, even went in for meaningful headed challenges, Smith run himself into the ground and Faurlin was, well Faurlin, strong in the tackle and composed on the ball. But special mention must go to Akos Buzsaky. He made the team tick, he distributed well, he made the team retain possession which was so vital, a great performance. Up front Dave was a real pest and was unfortunate to get injured. Bothroyd must have done more running and closing down then he did in a whole season at Cardiff and Ephraim, replacing Smith with 20 minutes to go, did the job of pushing the more encroaching threat of Baines back a good 20 yards.

Five minutes of injury time did not matter, Rangers were in total control and the final was treated as if we had won the FA Cup. It wa a great moment, Rangers were back and the team to a man played as if their lives depended on it. And the 'twelfth man', the supporters, I have never known such an away support sing for their team the way the QPR supporters did today.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024