Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please 06:54 - Jun 23 with 1292 viewsjamois

Gents, please bear with me. I'm in a quandary, and I trust this board as a place where sound advice can finally be secured though I've never opened up to this forum before....apologies if it's inappropriate or too lengthy a stream of pish...

I, a former R block R, now live in Costa Rica, in a jungle beach town where the surf attracts many septics and a very international full-time presence. Thought it would be a good place to watch the WC (having been here 3.5 yrs), full of Ticos obviously, Italians, Argentinians, Germans, French, the list goes on and on, like me. I really got up for this WC, drawn in the same group as the Ticos, but have suffered as our ritual humiliation unfolded, compounded by the fact that this looks to be one of the most special WCs for some time (and we're not a part of it), the French are playing well, the Ticos have gone nuts, even the yanks are playing 'great-ball' (pass me a bucket please).

I've further suffered for the lack of friends who, in my opinion, actually genuinely follow or understand football or who've been a suffering supporter for any length of time. I have to put up with englishmen talking about their holiday rental yields going up in the middle of the first half and septics talking to me about the fact they like this or that team because they play 'fast-ball' or 'hard-ball' or a 'really mean game' or folks telling me 'it's only a game'. Yes, I know it's only a f*cking game; I'm an Englishman abroad, a naive optimist who has no right to get his hopes up about England's prospects every 4 yrs, and I feel stupid (again) and let down (really?) for letting myself even entertain the idea we might qualify from our group.

But, having got the 6 englishmen who live in this town up for the games, they've now gone native following the uruguay debacle, are now supporting Costa Rica, how wonderful it is for the country in which we live bla bla, and are also telling me 'it's only a game'. After our elimination, I said I wasn't too bothered about the WC for now, and I'd tune back in again for the knockout stages, feeling this a reasonable response to my short-lived dejection, allowing time to regenerate enthusiasm for a wonderful tournament. But the whole town has gone WC-fever nuts, I've received a lot of abuse for my position and for missing the CR v Italy game the very day after our loss (the place went MENTAL here and I didn't partake). And now I'm being pressured to watch the england v CR game with a bunch of turncoat englishmen, a whole international town supporting Costa Rica and a load of drunken Ticos (certain to get violent if they lose btw), and frankly I don't think i fancy it. My view is I support 2 teams, QPR and England, and this is surely the only way it can be - I don't have the emotional space to be passionate about anyone else, and no doubt my missus agrees. And if I have to bump into one more smug frenchman again in the next 2 weeks, I'm going to properly kick-off. So am I going nuts? I therefore have to put it to you:

- am i taking this all wrong?
- do i watch the CR v England game?
- if so, where/how do i watch it?
- where do my loyalties lie?
- any other sound advice?

As it stands, I may just decide to run some cocaine over the border in a might-as-well f*ck-it, do-or-die plunge into full escapism. Look out for me in the papers.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 07:23 - Jun 23 with 1258 viewsqprmick

We were never expected to win it so I am pleased to have watched Raheem, and the other emerging players. I hope we build on those young fellows in the next Euros. I am reasonable happy and to look on the bright side we have a whole new season in the Premier to watch. Happy days ahead.

Qprmick

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 08:18 - Jun 23 with 1219 viewsStratfordBoy

Stick it out Jamois, hold your head up high & take the moral ground. I remember two occasions when in Poland watching England vs. Poland, both times in bars full of baying Polish supporters, we won the first time & lost the second; I tried to be as magnanimous as possible thinking at least I had retained my dignity.
By the way your seat is still free in R block, Mr H & I haven't crossed the divide!
Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 08:43 - Jun 23 with 1194 viewskysersosaqpr

Stand in the middle of the pub with full English gear on and shout your head off. You'll be fine

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 09:22 - Jun 23 with 1148 viewsloftboy

Judging by the pictures I've seen of their female fans I would go native and enjoy the evening!

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 10:21 - Jun 23 with 1118 viewsTacticalR

Fast-ball...it's only a game.

Face it, life is always going to be hard when you support a footballing minnow like England.

The real question is...are Costa Rica going to be gentle with our young boys?
[Post edited 23 Jun 2014 10:21]

Air hostess clique

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 13:08 - Jun 23 with 1062 viewslondonscottish

I've found solace in winding up a Spanish friend of mine by talking about Total Football and talking loudly to her OH aboud Rod Liddle's article in the Times yesterday.

Childish but fun.

(going round to theirs to watch the game tomorrow. this might backfire.....)

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 16:43 - Jun 23 with 999 viewsjamois

Trapped in World Cup fever town - your advice required please on 08:18 - Jun 23 by StratfordBoy

Stick it out Jamois, hold your head up high & take the moral ground. I remember two occasions when in Poland watching England vs. Poland, both times in bars full of baying Polish supporters, we won the first time & lost the second; I tried to be as magnanimous as possible thinking at least I had retained my dignity.
By the way your seat is still free in R block, Mr H & I haven't crossed the divide!

Nick! You know I might be filling that seat sooner than you think. Watch this space. I'm still not convinced my dignity is worth putting my head above the parapet in a Tico bar. Frankly, I hope we crush them 5-0.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024