Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Has Monk been asked to play draughts or chess? 22:52 - Feb 9 with 3447 viewsmacman

In my view if you combine what you read in here with the board's reason for sacking (a breakdown of the Swansea way) it actually carries a lot of credibility. Most of all it seems his determination to keep the manager ML and the person ML separate has upset many. His rotation scheme has also produced quite a few critics. The lack of ability to motivate. It seems to collide with the Swansea way.
Maybe Laudrup was too big for Swansea, his ego (believe in his own methods) was too big. It has been said by someone in here that he is the way he is because of his background - well, who isn't:-)? But I know - Lazio, Juve, Barca, Real, (Kobe) and Ajax. All big clubs (except Kobe) with long, long traditions at the highest level and hence football clubs where it is primarily about winning; and not just matches, but championships and cups. All the time he has been playing with players who also would play in the World Cup for countries like Spain, Holland, Italy, Brazil, Argentina and Germany. So Laudrup comes from this context - this what he knows and this is what he knows it takes - to win.

Maybe he was thinking: I am going to transform this little welsh club into a real professional club. And maybe the board went along with it dazzled by fame and conviction. Remember the level of the PL has been raised primarily by international players and managers.

So what is that transformation? Well, most international top managers do not seem to have much to do with the players outside of the game. They are "just" pieces in his chess game. There is a story about Guardiola demanding Messi not to drink coca cola. I imagine what the stories of Laudrup if he had asked Ash or Dyer the same.

Swansea has made it to the top, but what does it take to stay at the top (Wigan went down after 7 years)?
Money of course and loads of it. Why? to buy players. Somewhere down the line the players and managers are only going to be there for two things: money and success. If either of the two is not in sight they will move on. What kind of manager will succeed in this kind of club (like the big 8)? A manager who is best friend with everybody, even though he can only pick 11(+3) or a manager who treats everybody the same so he can pick his 11 without feeling compelled to pick someone because of their relationship?
There is no answer to this except is comes down to the manager, but I think it is an exception when the manager is trying to be everybody's friend.

Of all of it there is one trend that I cannot see even Monk getting around and that is the rotation, but here is my question then: Has he been asked to play draughts(only focus on the PL) or chess(PL, EL and FA)?

To play draughts he can do with his favourite 11, but he if is playing chess like all the big chess players(managers) then he needs far more.

Draughts: Stoke, Liverpool, Palace

Chess: Stoke(away), Everton(away), Napoli(home), Liverpool(away), Napoli(away), Palace

What do you think - should Monk play draughts or chess?
[Post edited 11 Feb 2014 19:06]
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:01 - Feb 9 with 3407 viewsSwanjaxs

When Laudrup decided to play Amat in midfield and bench Leon at Upton Park was he playing checkers or chess?, or just playing with fire? (Or just plain stupid)

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:35 - Feb 9 with 3334 viewsmacman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:01 - Feb 9 by Swanjaxs

When Laudrup decided to play Amat in midfield and bench Leon at Upton Park was he playing checkers or chess?, or just playing with fire? (Or just plain stupid)

I am not passing judgment on whether ML did the right thing with Amat at Upton, but I get from what you are saying that Leon should have played all games this season. Of course, you can only say yes; otherwise you will have contradicted yourself.
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:37 - Feb 9 with 3318 viewsBloodyhills

I think Monk should avoid board games and stick to games on the grass.

Poll: Who wants the Swans to lose games get relegated to get rid of Huw and the yanks.

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:41 - Feb 9 with 3296 viewsmitchwales

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:35 - Feb 9 by macman

I am not passing judgment on whether ML did the right thing with Amat at Upton, but I get from what you are saying that Leon should have played all games this season. Of course, you can only say yes; otherwise you will have contradicted yourself.

How exactly would he contradict himself by querying why Laudrup picked a centre back when a midfielder was available? Leon is not the only person who could have played in that position.

However, Canas was unavailable for West Ham meaning Leon was the only natural player to put there.
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:42 - Feb 9 with 3294 viewsSwanjaxs

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:35 - Feb 9 by macman

A resounding yes then, Laudrup's ego had I my opinion out grown us, and for the record I think GM will "throw the kitchen sink" at Stoke Wednesday night
[Post edited 10 Feb 2014 1:30]

You might think I've forgotten, but one day, when you least expect it, my time will come.
Poll: Celtic and Rangers should be fast tracked into the Championship ASAP

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 01:19 - Feb 10 with 3144 viewswestside

we might as well just go for it ever game now.

we need to win another three games to have a chance of staying up
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 10:21 - Feb 10 with 2949 viewsPlasticman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 23:01 - Feb 9 by Swanjaxs

I'm taking a wild stab in the dark that he was counting on amat beind able to cope better defensively than Leon on set pieces or high balls, which was the main threat from west ham.

If we hadn't let in 2 silly goals (neither of which I felt were amats fault) people would prob have thought it was a good move by him (except for the diehard Leon fans, ofc).

Plastic since 2012

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 10:40 - Feb 10 with 2888 viewswaynekerr55

Some good points, but no training schedule an training off the cuff is about as professional as a pub team.

We all aren't privvy to the full facts, but what shines through is that both parties need to take a look at themselves after this fiasco

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

Login to get fewer ads

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 11:36 - Feb 10 with 2806 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Checkers? Is that some sort of American game? Do you mean draughts?

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 11:59 - Feb 10 with 2762 viewsClinton

A lot managers with more experience than GM have got their knickers in a twist balancing the demands of Europe and domestic. We can't expect GM to come in and master the rotation thing straight away.
I think Monk knows his strongest team are pretty much those who played in the Derby.
For the time being, I agree that he should 'throw the kitchen sink' at Stoke to maintain the momentum. Probably the same approach is needed so that we put up a fair showing against Napoli.
The Everton match is the tricky one. They were strong against Spurs despite being defeated. I suspect we should bring in squad players for that one, and accept we will probably lose. Its a shame because with a bit of luck I fancied us to go all the way to Wembley.

To put it in the context of the OP, keep it simple to start with. Checkers will do for the time being.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2014 12:04]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 13:33 - Feb 10 with 2674 viewsA_Fans_Dad

I saw ML as much too interested in the Glory of the Cups and not in the bread and butter of the PL.
When you are dealing with a £60-£100 Million business the PL must come first as that cash is your Development Fund for every aspect of the Club's future.
So until SCFC are safe it should be "Draughts" all the way.
Then there will be other years for Cup Glory if they get knocked out this year.
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 13:34 - Feb 10 with 2668 viewsPlasticman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 11:59 - Feb 10 by Clinton

A lot managers with more experience than GM have got their knickers in a twist balancing the demands of Europe and domestic. We can't expect GM to come in and master the rotation thing straight away.
I think Monk knows his strongest team are pretty much those who played in the Derby.
For the time being, I agree that he should 'throw the kitchen sink' at Stoke to maintain the momentum. Probably the same approach is needed so that we put up a fair showing against Napoli.
The Everton match is the tricky one. They were strong against Spurs despite being defeated. I suspect we should bring in squad players for that one, and accept we will probably lose. Its a shame because with a bit of luck I fancied us to go all the way to Wembley.

To put it in the context of the OP, keep it simple to start with. Checkers will do for the time being.
[Post edited 10 Feb 2014 12:04]

Are you saying that Monk believes Emnes to be one of our strongest assets?

Plastic since 2012

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 14:40 - Feb 10 with 2616 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 13:34 - Feb 10 by Plasticman

Are you saying that Monk believes Emnes to be one of our strongest assets?

Are you saying that he didn't play well during the first half?
Are you saying he didn't fit in to the way Swansea want to play?
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 15:52 - Feb 10 with 2556 viewsslate_dk

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 14:40 - Feb 10 by A_Fans_Dad

He did well the first 20 minutes and then he faded away... fitness?
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 16:45 - Feb 10 with 2481 viewsPlasticman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 14:40 - Feb 10 by A_Fans_Dad

He started brightly, but then he threw the ball away more times than I cared for.

Plenty of more talented players in the squad have been crucified by people in the forum for throwing the ball away less than emnes did.

So no, I don't think he did "well" during the first half. After the first quarter alot of our attacks ended when he got the ball. Personally, I would have prefered to see shelvey there instead, and the difference in passing quality was really evident when pablo came on.

Plastic since 2012

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 21:21 - Feb 10 with 2416 viewsmacman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 11:36 - Feb 10 by felixstowe_jack

Checkers? Is that some sort of American game? Do you mean draughts?

Yes, but the wordplay on chess and checkers was better, I thought.
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 21:28 - Feb 10 with 2389 viewsmacman

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 13:33 - Feb 10 by A_Fans_Dad

I saw ML as much too interested in the Glory of the Cups and not in the bread and butter of the PL.
When you are dealing with a £60-£100 Million business the PL must come first as that cash is your Development Fund for every aspect of the Club's future.
So until SCFC are safe it should be "Draughts" all the way.
Then there will be other years for Cup Glory if they get knocked out this year.

Good point, but how do you balance this? I mean, until the SCFC is safe - does that mean you would play your b lineup for CC and FA, and hope for the best? Actually, I think that was what ML did in the CC last year and then all of a sudden with a bit of luck it could be won.
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 21:41 - Feb 10 with 2358 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 21:28 - Feb 10 by macman

Good point, but how do you balance this? I mean, until the SCFC is safe - does that mean you would play your b lineup for CC and FA, and hope for the best? Actually, I think that was what ML did in the CC last year and then all of a sudden with a bit of luck it could be won.

But another couple of disastrous injuries incurred in the Cups could doom the club to relegation. Is risking staying up worth it.
Only the Board, Manager and Players can actually decide that, but I would like to know what the fans think as I know they love the silverwork, but at what possible cost?
Has Monk been asked to play checkers or chess? on 22:03 - Feb 10 with 2321 viewsmark555

I would go with the strongest 11 for every league game and rest players for the Europa league and FA cup, I dont want us to end up like Wigan last year.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024