Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Blues 09:53 - Mar 3 with 12132 viewsGretsch

Bought some old blues albums the weekend, a bit of Son House and Muddy Waters, always have liked the early Delta stuff since I was a lad as I am a big Stones fan and like to listen to their influences, favourites of mine are Leadbelly, Howling Wolf and Robert Johnson. I know it's cliched but I like the "woke up this morning" and "Gonna write me a letter " type stuff.

Anyone got any tracks and artists to recommend, I know the names of most of the guys obviosuly but dont want to get into downloading an album to hear one or two tracks that I may like.

For all the youngsters old stuff to me doesnt mean Clapton and Rory Gallagher
The Blues on 10:00 - Mar 3 with 6892 viewsDarran

Warwick and Lohengrim are the correct answer here.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

The Blues on 10:17 - Mar 3 with 6879 viewsperchrockjack

With Son House and Muddy Waters you re in a good place already.

Check this guy out too.

you either got a voice like this or you aint

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

The Blues on 11:24 - Mar 3 with 6865 viewsWarwickHunt

Charley Patton, Tommy Johnson, Tommy McClennan, Willie Brown, Blind Willie Johnson, Mississippi John Hurt, Sleepy John Estes, Blind Blake, Blind Boy Fuller, Lightnin' Hopkins, Blind Willie McTell, Gary Davis, Skip James, Mance Lipscomb, Bo Carter, Robert Wilkins, Robert Petway, Blind Lemon Jefferson...the tip of the icebeg. I'll PM you some good compilation titles when I've got time.

The Blues on 11:51 - Mar 3 with 6859 viewsGretsch

Enjoyed Robert Wilkins especially, trying to learn a bit of harmonica to go with the guitar, starting to bend a few notes, but want to try and play it Dylan style, no hands, any players recommend a "good" DVD, youtube link.

Anyone watched that box set that Martin Scorsese made, any good???

Also like some of the old female blues singers and going to get into a bit of that.
The Blues on 12:50 - Mar 3 with 6843 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 11:51 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

Enjoyed Robert Wilkins especially, trying to learn a bit of harmonica to go with the guitar, starting to bend a few notes, but want to try and play it Dylan style, no hands, any players recommend a "good" DVD, youtube link.

Anyone watched that box set that Martin Scorsese made, any good???

Also like some of the old female blues singers and going to get into a bit of that.

You want to play Dylan style? Try sticking it up your arse and farting...
The Blues on 13:09 - Mar 3 with 6837 viewsLohengrin

If it's Blues you're after, pal, then Warwick will be the man to set you out on the right path. I don't know that much but I do know what I like and at the risk of over-simplifying things if you were to split Blues music up into a series of schools then I'd choose the Piedmont Blues over all the the rest, probably because it's more of a Country hybrid and I love to hear that old Ragtime guitar.

If I had to choose one Blues artist to have in my collection though, just the one, it would be this chap, no contest.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

The Blues on 13:09 - Mar 3 with 6836 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 12:50 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Well thanks for that.

By Dylan style I mean on a frame while playing a guitar, could have named anybody who plays this way I suppose, but nothing wrong with Dylan.
The Blues on 13:09 - Mar 3 with 6836 viewsLohengrin

The Blues on 12:50 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Login to get fewer ads

The Blues on 13:26 - Mar 3 with 6828 viewsLohengrin

The Blues on 13:09 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

Well thanks for that.

By Dylan style I mean on a frame while playing a guitar, could have named anybody who plays this way I suppose, but nothing wrong with Dylan.

His voice has deteriorated beyond the point of comedy now......

The Blues on 13:58 - Mar 3 with 6816 viewsGretsch

He is going on 73, and was struggling from the start, but he had a certain something with the songs he wrote.

I am normally a stickler for the original always being the best but fairplay Adele knocks spots off him on Make you Feel my love.

Nice song to play on the old geetar too. But anyway how do you play the blues on a harmonica with no hands?
The Blues on 14:01 - Mar 3 with 6814 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 13:58 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

He is going on 73, and was struggling from the start, but he had a certain something with the songs he wrote.

I am normally a stickler for the original always being the best but fairplay Adele knocks spots off him on Make you Feel my love.

Nice song to play on the old geetar too. But anyway how do you play the blues on a harmonica with no hands?

Badly.
The Blues on 14:11 - Mar 3 with 6807 viewsGretsch

The Blues on 14:01 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Badly.

Again thanks for that.

Found a site now http://www.harmonicaacademy.com/categories/20090128_1

Think you may be surprised to see how many blues guitarists accompany themselves with a Harmonica holder "obviously very badly"
The Blues on 14:17 - Mar 3 with 6803 viewsGretsch

Just to add another request, I watched that Blues program on BBC4 the other week, but have deleted it. There was a guy who went around the states I think in the thirties, basically recording these old guys on their front porch, who werent stars just someone in the town who happened to play and sing, it wasnt Lomax but another white guy.

Anyone know who and if theres an album?, I imagine it would be quite obscure stuff, from people never heard of before or since.
The Blues on 14:40 - Mar 3 with 6793 viewsLohengrin

The Blues on 14:17 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

Just to add another request, I watched that Blues program on BBC4 the other week, but have deleted it. There was a guy who went around the states I think in the thirties, basically recording these old guys on their front porch, who werent stars just someone in the town who happened to play and sing, it wasnt Lomax but another white guy.

Anyone know who and if theres an album?, I imagine it would be quite obscure stuff, from people never heard of before or since.

You're probably talking about Ralph Peer.

The Blues on 14:55 - Mar 3 with 6784 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 14:11 - Mar 3 by Gretsch

Again thanks for that.

Found a site now http://www.harmonicaacademy.com/categories/20090128_1

Think you may be surprised to see how many blues guitarists accompany themselves with a Harmonica holder "obviously very badly"

Listen to Little Walter - if you can name me anyone who can do that with a holder I'll suck your cock in Burton's window.
The Blues on 15:02 - Mar 3 with 6778 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 15:04 - Mar 3 with 6773 viewsperchrockjack

No Burtons on Wirral ffs so which one do you fancy.

The Blues on 15:08 - Mar 3 with 6771 viewsLohengrin

Musselwhite and McCoy, Warwick. You've got to give them their due. A proper pair of Charlies!

The Blues on 15:10 - Mar 3 with 6769 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 15:04 - Mar 3 by perchrockjack

No Burtons on Wirral ffs so which one do you fancy.

As it's you we can skip theatre and dinner. I'm easy.
The Blues on 15:12 - Mar 3 with 6766 viewsperchrockjack

Make it the Everton game then. I wont be hungry either but I ll bring a harp (IVe got two)

The Blues on 15:19 - Mar 3 with 6764 viewsWarwickHunt

The Blues on 15:08 - Mar 3 by Lohengrin

Musselwhite and McCoy, Warwick. You've got to give them their due. A proper pair of Charlies!

The great Jerry McCain. The first one is heap good...

The Blues on 16:58 - Mar 3 with 6739 viewsLohengrin

Boppin' time!

The Blues on 17:06 - Mar 3 with 6732 viewsDarran

The Blues on 17:10 - Mar 3 with 6730 viewsLohengrin

Daz, your intruding that camp nonsense into this thread is like putting a veruca into a glass slipper.

The Blues on 17:13 - Mar 3 with 6727 viewsDarran

The Blues on 17:10 - Mar 3 by Lohengrin

Daz, your intruding that camp nonsense into this thread is like putting a veruca into a glass slipper.

The thread needed sorting out.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024