Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? 12:35 - Apr 29 with 1837 viewsGardiner

I've done an article about why Shelvey should go to Rio ahead of Barkley. The link is http://www.falseix.com/the-rio-wildcard-shelvey-or-barkley/

I was really quite surprised by how much better Shelvey is in certain areas.
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:08 - Apr 29 with 1769 viewsC_jack

Not surprising to me looking at the stats presented, they're two different types of players really. Final ball is important but it can be negated when you have the ability to dribble the ball into dangerous areas. How it gets there isn't important, dribble or pass.

Barkley can take players out of the game through dribbling.

JJS can do likewise with a killer pass.

In regards to England, JJS is in a crowd of a large number of players with the ability to knock through a 'key pass', but there's hardly any with the flair/ability to dribble around players, such as Barkley can. It's a huge imbalance.

Barkley gets ahead of Shelvey because he offers something that not many others in that side can.

Poll: Who did you vote for today, in the general election?

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:16 - Apr 29 with 1742 viewsGardiner

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:08 - Apr 29 by C_jack

Not surprising to me looking at the stats presented, they're two different types of players really. Final ball is important but it can be negated when you have the ability to dribble the ball into dangerous areas. How it gets there isn't important, dribble or pass.

In regards to England, JJS is in a crowd of a large number of players with the ability to knock through a 'key pass', but there's hardly any with the flair/ability to dribble around players, such as Barkley can. It's a huge imbalance.

Barkley gets ahead of Shelvey because he offers something that not many others in that side can.

Were Barkley to be dribbling into 'dangerous areas', his chance creation would be far higher than it is. Like Mousa Dembele, most of his successful dribbles aren't translating into chances. Probably due to where he does them (centre-circleish).

I disagree about Shelvey not offering something others can. Bar Rooney and maybe Gerrard, there's no one with his passing range while Lallana, Sterling and arguably Wilshere can all play CAM and dribble like Barkley.
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:25 - Apr 29 with 1720 viewsParlay

Great analysis

Forum celebrity
Poll: Is £45 a match ticket too high?

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:27 - Apr 29 with 1707 viewsGardiner

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:25 - Apr 29 by Parlay

Great analysis

Thanks. Saw your other post and I do see the potential in him becoming a Gerrard-esque figure.
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:42 - Apr 29 with 1679 viewsOdgaard

Spot on!
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:47 - Apr 29 with 1652 viewsJackSomething

Just to add to the discussions about Shelvey, just read this stat about him:

'Jonjo Shelvey has joined Steven Gerrard, David Silva, Aaron Ramsey, Christian Eriksen, Eden Hazard, Adam Lallana, Yaya Toure and Samir Nasri as the only PL midfielders to record six goals and six assists this season.'

Pretty good company to be in.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:47 - Apr 29 with 1650 viewsGardiner

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:42 - Apr 29 by Odgaard

Spot on!

As I replied almost immediately, successful dribbles does not equal chances created. In Barkley's case, it quite evidently doesn't. The stats aren't mutually exclusive.
Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:50 - Apr 29 with 1635 viewsBrynmill_Jack

The thing about dribbling is that you as a player are adding to the numbers in the box and can play 1-2's with wingers/forwards already waiting in the box.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:57 - Apr 29 with 1614 viewsGardiner

Rio Wildcard: Shelvey or Barkley? on 13:50 - Apr 29 by Brynmill_Jack

The thing about dribbling is that you as a player are adding to the numbers in the box and can play 1-2's with wingers/forwards already waiting in the box.

If done successfully, this would create a chance or a goal and come under 'chance creation' or 'non penalty goals'.. neither of which is the case with Barkley.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024