Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
'Bony' Lets face facts. 13:57 - Aug 10 with 3543 viewsmorningstar

I know a few have mentioned here about Gomis being a replacement for Bony rather than a partner, but I don't think it's been discussed at any length. The more I think of it the more logical it becomes to me that with Wilfrieds successful season last term, and travelling to the World cup in the summer. The club indeed decided to act quickly and 'replace' him with Gomis.
It was never a case of cover for the African nations cup. Gomis would never have stood for that coming to a small club like Swansea, and being aware of the system we play would certainly have sought reassurances that he would be the N01 striker.
Unfortunately for us, we may have failed to realise that selling a striker for the amount we want for him, could be a little difficult in African nations cup year unless the buying club is Man City or PSG and I'm afraid Bony isn't quite in that class (yet?).
I'm pretty certain that the plan was to sell, and use the money to strengthen other areas and it's all gone wrong. So not only are we forced to accommodate the two of them, we'll probably find that we are severely lacking the finances needed to get real quality in all the areas that we need to.
It's going to be very interesting!

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:00 - Aug 10 with 2945 viewsJackfath

Why would we be forced to accommodate both?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:03 - Aug 10 with 2894 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:00 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

Why would we be forced to accommodate both?

Give me an alternative?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:06 - Aug 10 with 2869 viewsMattG

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:03 - Aug 10 by morningstar

Give me an alternative?

Rotation / horses for courses?
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:07 - Aug 10 with 2859 viewsJackfath

Play one up front. Alternate, horses for courses. Bony off to African Cup so Gomis will have a spell.

Surely we are not in a position where players dictate that they have to play? If they are not happy with some rotation then sell on and buy someone who is happy to play that role.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:09 - Aug 10 with 2815 viewsicecoldjack

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:07 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

Play one up front. Alternate, horses for courses. Bony off to African Cup so Gomis will have a spell.

Surely we are not in a position where players dictate that they have to play? If they are not happy with some rotation then sell on and buy someone who is happy to play that role.

Ki dictated he had to play didn;t he ?

Minimum game clause in his contract.
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:10 - Aug 10 with 2805 viewsJackfath

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:09 - Aug 10 by icecoldjack

I have no idea about that, I am not ITK about clauses in any players contract. Unless of course this has been made common knowledge in the public domain?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:10 - Aug 10 with 2807 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

I actually think the OP makes a lot of sense, we will never know what really happens behind the scenes though.

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:14 - Aug 10 with 2763 viewsPozuelosSideys

Thinking about it, despite us playing with both of them up front pre-season, thats probably not going to happen for the league. Other than Donnelly, we dont have any others as back up.

We probably identified this as a position we need to strengthen and have done so with quality.

Think itll be horses for courses as pointed out above.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."
Poll: Hattricks

Login to get fewer ads

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:15 - Aug 10 with 2749 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:07 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

If Bony was sold we wouldn't have to worry about cover for the African nations cup. I understand what your saying and hell I may be completely wrong. It's just my viewpoint. It's easy to say 'sell on' if they are not happy, but selling a player like Bony is, as I said going too prove extremely difficult this year. Do you think Gomis was a replacement? Or just cover?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:19 - Aug 10 with 2719 viewsJackfath

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:15 - Aug 10 by morningstar

If Bony was sold we wouldn't have to worry about cover for the African nations cup. I understand what your saying and hell I may be completely wrong. It's just my viewpoint. It's easy to say 'sell on' if they are not happy, but selling a player like Bony is, as I said going too prove extremely difficult this year. Do you think Gomis was a replacement? Or just cover?

Clearly we needed another striker. We've now got two potential first choice players. Why not make them fight for the starting position? Can only be a good thing? Besides, Gomis has yet to play in the prem he could be a damp squib?

If Gomis was signed as a replacement, and Bony has been proved to be too hard to shift, then sorry Mr Gomis, you'll have to stay and fight for your position, we can't guarantee you'll start every game, but you will get a spell when Wilf goes to Africa and you will get game time at other times, depending on how things go in training and on the pitch.

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:19 - Aug 10 with 2718 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:14 - Aug 10 by PozuelosSideys

Thinking about it, despite us playing with both of them up front pre-season, thats probably not going to happen for the league. Other than Donnelly, we dont have any others as back up.

We probably identified this as a position we need to strengthen and have done so with quality.

Think itll be horses for courses as pointed out above.

You may well be right, but if we are not planning on playing the two together then why do it in our final 2 pre season games? Because we've been forced to is my opinion nut it's just my opinion. However, if the plan is to alternate them, then it's going to have to be a great piece of juggling to keep both happy.

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:24 - Aug 10 with 2694 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:19 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

Clearly we needed another striker. We've now got two potential first choice players. Why not make them fight for the starting position? Can only be a good thing? Besides, Gomis has yet to play in the prem he could be a damp squib?

If Gomis was signed as a replacement, and Bony has been proved to be too hard to shift, then sorry Mr Gomis, you'll have to stay and fight for your position, we can't guarantee you'll start every game, but you will get a spell when Wilf goes to Africa and you will get game time at other times, depending on how things go in training and on the pitch.

Good points,. and you may well be proved to be correct. Hey, I think it's amazing that we have 2 players of such quality in the same position. But the more I think of it. The more I believe it wasn't the plan. It'll be interesting to see where we are now able too afford to strengthen in other areas.

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:31 - Aug 10 with 2657 viewsPozuelosSideys

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:19 - Aug 10 by morningstar

You may well be right, but if we are not planning on playing the two together then why do it in our final 2 pre season games? Because we've been forced to is my opinion nut it's just my opinion. However, if the plan is to alternate them, then it's going to have to be a great piece of juggling to keep both happy.

Hopefully thats due to injuries and just trying new things.

It definitely didnt work yesterday, but that wasnt because of those two. With Michu gone, we have no back up for that role.

You may well be right, but i dont think we are in a position where we need to sell before we bring others in just yet, especially if we are throwing a fair old chunk of cash around for Fernandes.

"Michu, Britton and Williams could have won 3-0 on their own. They wouldn't have required a keeper."

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:42 - Aug 10 with 2596 viewsSwan91

I think they wanted to try it for one game to see if it's doable (reading) and they didn't have much of a choice against Villarreal mainly because routledge and dyer were out.

Now what would you want them to do. Have the 451 formation with a youngster like bray playing RW and stick to our same tactics or try the reading tactic again on a bigger team to see if it's possible against a bigger opponent.

I'm glad we did this formation against villareal because we tried and failed but didn't lose anything from it. Imagine if we tried this formation for the first time in the premier league, it would've been a nightmare.

This is what friendlies are for, trying formations to see if it works. We now know the weaknesses we have when playing that formation so:

A: we could work on those weaknesses in training and play that formation against certain teams

B: we dont even look at that formation again and maybe use it for cup games etc if we are against lower opponents.

I like the whole bony gomis thing because it should bring out the best of them. When bony leaves for ACN that gives gomis a month to show how good he can really be. Then once bony comes back he shouldn't be garanteed a starting place straight away he should have to fight for the spot again.

I think in the past we've seen players who have not played well but were still picked for most games because they were the better player. And even though other players who came on and did pretty well(Lamah) they played well enough to atleast get a shot at first team place for a game but weren't picked because there were obvious favourites. If there's no competition players can become a little too relaxed.
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:43 - Aug 10 with 2591 viewsJackfath

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:31 - Aug 10 by PozuelosSideys

Hopefully thats due to injuries and just trying new things.

It definitely didnt work yesterday, but that wasnt because of those two. With Michu gone, we have no back up for that role.

You may well be right, but i dont think we are in a position where we need to sell before we bring others in just yet, especially if we are throwing a fair old chunk of cash around for Fernandes.

Isn't Gylfi seen as a replacement for Michu in that role?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:44 - Aug 10 with 2583 viewsLeonisGod

I'm wondering if GM's hand was forced to play both of them, due to the current injuries and absences. and using the friendlies to build fitness and have a look at them both together.

I'd be gobsmacked if Bony and Gomis line up alongside each other at Man U. Although that could still happen. Maybe a lopsided 4222 formation is the future
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 15:12 - Aug 10 with 2475 viewsPozuelosSideys

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:43 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

Isn't Gylfi seen as a replacement for Michu in that role?

Sorry, i meant using Michu as back-up for the striker role

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 15:27 - Aug 10 with 2417 viewsmonmouth

Ok................but where are the facts?

Shouldn't it be titled 'let's face one person's supposition and conjecture'?

On that basis, it's possible. Can't see either being anything other than pi$$ed off at not starting or being subbed. Maybe they'll both be playing in the "winnable" games with Emnes as back up (in the sort of way we played at Sunderland). Maybe someone should buy Gylfi a 'winger for beginners' book?

Actually Monk says as much in his interview doesn't he? If I remember right he says that they won't play together in ALL the games because he will pick his team depending on the specific game? He also said, in a recent quote that Gylfi would play where he was asked to (I may have dreamt that one) implying, in this person's conjecture, that they will play many games together.

Anyhow, keep coming back to the same outcome. It's his call, it's on his head, he must be allowed to do his own thing and he must make it work, or change it, or not survive. I'm looking forward to seeing some questions resolved in the next few weeks; still think we've got a few surprises in store, one way or the other. I just hope they're not like the surprise I had yesterday.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 15:33 - Aug 10 with 2373 viewsUplandsJack

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 15:27 - Aug 10 by monmouth

On that basis, it's possible. Can't see either being anything other than pi$$ed off at not starting or being subbed. Maybe they'll both be playing in the "winnable" games with Emnes as back up (in the sort of way we played at Sunderland). Maybe someone should buy Gylfi a 'winger for beginners' book?

Actually Monk says as much in his interview doesn't he? If I remember right he says that they won't play together in ALL the games because he will pick his team depending on the specific game? He also said, in a recent quote that Gylfi would play where he was asked to (I may have dreamt that one) implying, in this person's conjecture, that they will play many games together.

Anyhow, keep coming back to the same outcome. It's his call, it's on his head, he must be allowed to do his own thing and he must make it work, or change it, or not survive. I'm looking forward to seeing some questions resolved in the next few weeks; still think we've got a few surprises in store, one way or the other. I just hope they're not like the surprise I had yesterday.

Good post...
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 16:15 - Aug 10 with 2234 viewsPhil_S

Football club in strengthening options in one position shocker
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 16:51 - Aug 10 with 2129 viewsHuw57

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:09 - Aug 10 by icecoldjack

20 starts clause.

Poll: Do you want the Irish to get through?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 16:54 - Aug 10 with 2102 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 16:15 - Aug 10 by Phil_S

Football club in strengthening options in one position shocker

Get a grip Phil. I'm suprised at you. You used to be far more constructive than that? I make a valid point and thats all you can do is diss it. Shape up yeah?

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 17:09 - Aug 10 with 2023 viewsmorningstar

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 15:27 - Aug 10 by monmouth

Sorry Monmouth, I actually meant to type "let's face it", but no real need for the pedantic rewriting of the thread title was there?
Whilst I agree with a lot of what youve written. The club knew that this pre season would see a lot of departures from the club and also we are seeing long serving players coming to the end of their shelf live. Therefore I'm quite sure that we intended to cash in on Bony in order to add quality in numbers to other areas. The fact is, we haven't been able to do that now and just 1 week before the start of the season our squad is looking decidedly threadbare. But hey! We have two quality strikers up front don't we?
Please don't get me wrong as I do hope to god that I am so so wrong about this and the plans and tactics are in place. It's just the more I think about it the more I don't think they are and maybe this time we've called it wrong.

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 17:42 - Aug 10 with 1944 viewspencoedjack

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 14:19 - Aug 10 by Jackfath

Why cant you post like that all the time .... instead of being a WUM ???

Agree totally
'Bony' Lets face facts. on 17:51 - Aug 10 with 1904 viewsJackfath

'Bony' Lets face facts. on 17:42 - Aug 10 by pencoedjack

Why cant you post like that all the time .... instead of being a WUM ???

Agree totally

It's more fun laughing at the state you get into when I post something tongue in cheek and you go off on one. Goodness, if I posted like that all the time, you may actually think I am not a cock, tvvat, bellend, etc etc etc.

Now where would be the fun in that?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024