Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What happened to Swansea 22:18 - Aug 11 with 11667 viewskeeponrockin

I don't like to slag off my home town but I have to say these days I'm finding the place thoroughly depressing and am seeking to leave asap for various reasons.

Everywhere I go there seems to be junkies, people just shouting profanity, the town is a sh1thole, the roads are a joke, roid heads galore the list is endless.

It saddens me because it should be a great place and it does have some great qualities but I'm losing the love at the moment and I never thought that would happen. What's going on?
[Post edited 11 Aug 2014 22:20]
What happened to Swansea on 14:26 - Aug 12 with 2557 viewsdgt73

What happened to Swansea on 13:38 - Aug 12 by SilverSurfer

anyone who thinks that Swansea is rough has never lived in a 'big' city

after 10yrs in Birmingham Swansea is a paradise.

the problem with us welsh is that we are always the first to put ourselves down

theres a big world out there and there is nothing wrong with our small corner of it.

Spot on. I no longer live in Swansea, but will definitely move back at some stage. I have lived and workedlall over the UK and i can honestly say Swansea is a great place to live.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

What happened to Swansea on 14:30 - Aug 12 with 2554 viewsJackfath

What happened to Swansea on 14:26 - Aug 12 by dgt73

Spot on. I no longer live in Swansea, but will definitely move back at some stage. I have lived and workedlall over the UK and i can honestly say Swansea is a great place to live.

DO you agree there is nothing wrong with it?

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

What happened to Swansea on 14:54 - Aug 12 with 2540 viewsjackharris

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.
Poll: What is your favourite Knock?

What happened to Swansea on 14:55 - Aug 12 with 2536 viewsjackharris

Very proud to be voted Planet Swans Poster of the Year 2017 by my fellow posters. Especially on a site that nearly had 20 million impressions last year.

What happened to Swansea on 14:58 - Aug 12 with 2532 viewsUxbridge

Oh look, another thread about the good and bad parts of Swansea. It's been a day I suppose.

Anyone saying Swansea is shit because parts of it are shit will hopefully extend that logic to every other city in the world.

I like it here. That'll do for me.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

What happened to Swansea on 15:02 - Aug 12 with 2526 viewsllangyfelach

Poll: Sugar on Weetabix?

What happened to Swansea on 15:03 - Aug 12 with 2525 viewsllangyfelach

Cornelius and Amy rock

What happened to Swansea on 15:06 - Aug 12 with 2525 viewsjackharris

Login to get fewer ads

What happened to Swansea on 15:07 - Aug 12 with 2521 viewsdgt73

What happened to Swansea on 14:30 - Aug 12 by Jackfath

DO you agree there is nothing wrong with it?

Every city in the world has problems of some sort.

Poll: Have Swansea got some of the most negative w@nkers following them

What happened to Swansea on 15:10 - Aug 12 with 2516 viewsllangyfelach

For the record I agree with Ux. Swansea isn't perfect by any stretch. Parts of it are breathtakingly beautiful whilst others need bombing and starting again. Call it lack of ambition or whatever you want, but I've never worked or lived away from Swansea and I don't think I ever want to either

What happened to Swansea on 15:31 - Aug 12 with 2498 viewsCatullus

What happened to Swansea on 10:37 - Aug 12 by Cottsy

Ok now how do you propse to fund all that while making a saving of £70 million at the same time and remember that the Social Services bill has to be paid for first before you do any of it.

You've knocked down High Stand scrapped parking charges.Great. You've also just lost tens/hundreds of thousands of pounds of income so that £70 million has just gone up and the Social Services bill still needs paying.

Zero tolerance policing? Great. That's going to be an increase in everyone's rates though as the police are going to need more manpower and more space to process arrests that would have previously been cautions.

You've reduced local government and reduced local tax. Great. Are services going to be reduced as well? How are you going to balance financial payouts for those losing their jobs? Don't forget £70 million, Social Services.

Edited (Forgot about the tram)
You are going to reinstate the Mumbles tram. Great. What is the business case for it? Who is going to run it the council, a not for profit trust or private company? Ae the long term benefits of the tram going to offset the short term disruption and expenditure? What are the operational costs likely to be? How many people are likely to use it?

You talk about a 'can do' culture but you also talk about wanting to leave. You talk about what you would do but you don't seem to be doing anything about it. Why aren't you putting yourself forward to be elected at the next council elections, getting yourself out in to the community making a difference, putting pressure on your ward councillors to make the changes you want to see?
[Post edited 12 Aug 2014 11:34]

I agree with the OP about what needs doing, but you make points I can't argue with.

Except to say, that if we had decent people in charge and the place was run more efficiently. maybe there would be more money for a capex spend?
And if something good was started, maybe it would attract other investment?
After all, how much have our council wasted on the boulevard and bendy bus projects?
I'm also not sure he's talking about reducing front line staff, probably more about reducing admin and management?
Another thing, if our council and AM's put more pressure on the WAG, perhaps we would have more money to spend? It's about time other parts of Wales saw the investment Cardiff has had.
On the Mumbles train, it wouldn't just be a tourist attraction, it would also provide cheap, eco friendly transport from Mumbles to town and maybe beyond. Taking a significant chunk of traffic off the road and providing income.
Zero tolerance policing is something I back too. If the police handed out spot fines to the barbarians that infest our town perhaps they would behave a bit better? It's not just a Swansea thing, society is going down the sh!tt&r and quite quickly too.
We are falling to the lowest common denominator and it's very sad.
If we made big business and the rich pay their fair share (and no more) of tax, there would be a lot more to go around.
If we stopped interfering in other countries (and causing even bigger messes we then need to clean up) perhaps we would have many billions to spend on us. And finally, if we stopped sending foreign aid to countries with bigger armed forces than us, and their own nuclear and space programs to boot, there would be a pile of cash to be spent here, on the UK.
It's not about isolationism, it's about sorting ourselves out first and then helping others.
I love Swansea. I moved away once and couldn't wait to come home. When I was in London (Walton on Thames) it was quite a nice area. But it wasn't home.
Yes Swansea needs a lot doing to it, but it's still home to me and I still love it. If we move away again, it will be because Swansea has become too bad to stay here and that would be heartbreaking.
So lets get on with it eh.

If the OP stands for council, I'll back him!!

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What happened to Swansea on 15:48 - Aug 12 with 2483 viewsSwanWay

What happened to Swansea on 15:31 - Aug 12 by Catullus

I agree with the OP about what needs doing, but you make points I can't argue with.

Except to say, that if we had decent people in charge and the place was run more efficiently. maybe there would be more money for a capex spend?
And if something good was started, maybe it would attract other investment?
After all, how much have our council wasted on the boulevard and bendy bus projects?
I'm also not sure he's talking about reducing front line staff, probably more about reducing admin and management?
Another thing, if our council and AM's put more pressure on the WAG, perhaps we would have more money to spend? It's about time other parts of Wales saw the investment Cardiff has had.
On the Mumbles train, it wouldn't just be a tourist attraction, it would also provide cheap, eco friendly transport from Mumbles to town and maybe beyond. Taking a significant chunk of traffic off the road and providing income.
Zero tolerance policing is something I back too. If the police handed out spot fines to the barbarians that infest our town perhaps they would behave a bit better? It's not just a Swansea thing, society is going down the sh!tt&r and quite quickly too.
We are falling to the lowest common denominator and it's very sad.
If we made big business and the rich pay their fair share (and no more) of tax, there would be a lot more to go around.
If we stopped interfering in other countries (and causing even bigger messes we then need to clean up) perhaps we would have many billions to spend on us. And finally, if we stopped sending foreign aid to countries with bigger armed forces than us, and their own nuclear and space programs to boot, there would be a pile of cash to be spent here, on the UK.
It's not about isolationism, it's about sorting ourselves out first and then helping others.
I love Swansea. I moved away once and couldn't wait to come home. When I was in London (Walton on Thames) it was quite a nice area. But it wasn't home.
Yes Swansea needs a lot doing to it, but it's still home to me and I still love it. If we move away again, it will be because Swansea has become too bad to stay here and that would be heartbreaking.
So lets get on with it eh.

If the OP stands for council, I'll back him!!

Oyster Wharf Mumbles has just been approved and the Tidal Lagoon will make Swansea a place its never been before. agree with the state on the shopping centre has gone down hill but the result of out of town retail and online shopping. I think Swansea will drastically change over the next 20 years with billions being investing from European Development Funding and plans already in place for the likes of ParcTawe and Waterfront Development, which were all put on hold during the economic down turn. Swansea will become city of the world, proud to call it home.
What happened to Swansea on 15:54 - Aug 12 with 2472 viewsCatullus

What happened to Swansea on 15:48 - Aug 12 by SwanWay

Oyster Wharf Mumbles has just been approved and the Tidal Lagoon will make Swansea a place its never been before. agree with the state on the shopping centre has gone down hill but the result of out of town retail and online shopping. I think Swansea will drastically change over the next 20 years with billions being investing from European Development Funding and plans already in place for the likes of ParcTawe and Waterfront Development, which were all put on hold during the economic down turn. Swansea will become city of the world, proud to call it home.

I hope you are right. But isn't it about time we got rid of the tag "graveyard of ambition" and made Swansea into something we all know it can be?

On the post about Birmingham, many people from England come to live here because they can see what some of us residents can't. That Swansea has a lot to offer.

It's not so much that I want to run Swansea down, but it could still be so much better. Lets make it a beacon of ambition instead of a graveyard eh?

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

What happened to Swansea on 16:17 - Aug 12 with 2466 viewsSwanWay

What happened to Swansea on 15:54 - Aug 12 by Catullus

I hope you are right. But isn't it about time we got rid of the tag "graveyard of ambition" and made Swansea into something we all know it can be?

On the post about Birmingham, many people from England come to live here because they can see what some of us residents can't. That Swansea has a lot to offer.

It's not so much that I want to run Swansea down, but it could still be so much better. Lets make it a beacon of ambition instead of a graveyard eh?

I think the "graveyard of ambition" is a Dylan Thomas quote taken out of context that's why Swansea has been tagged with this. when you say about people from England coming to live here, I have experienced the same, met a guy from Nepal few years ago who was well travelled and said Swansea was if favourite place to visit as not many places in world had beaches of outstanding beauty next to mountains and Nature Reserves of equal standard. made me think twice...

Have to agree with aspects of Swansea need serious looking at. High Street and now Kings Way looking not too distant from somewhere Ross Kemp would film a documentary!!

One of the area I see need immediate development to promote the city and Swansea as a whole is transport, I have travelled around quite a bit and have to say our public transport system is the worst I've seen!!
What happened to Swansea on 16:28 - Aug 12 with 2455 viewsUxbridge

What happened to Swansea on 15:10 - Aug 12 by llangyfelach

For the record I agree with Ux. Swansea isn't perfect by any stretch. Parts of it are breathtakingly beautiful whilst others need bombing and starting again. Call it lack of ambition or whatever you want, but I've never worked or lived away from Swansea and I don't think I ever want to either

I lived in London and moved back. I know others who have done the same or are planning to. Some liked it, some moved back again.

I like it where I am. Lots of pubs and good places to eat in this end of town these days. Doesn't come close to central London of course but a damn sight better than the belt around the M25!

What happened to Swansea on 17:11 - Aug 12 with 2434 viewsCurcubita_Ultra

What happened to Swansea on 16:28 - Aug 12 by Uxbridge

I lived in London and moved back. I know others who have done the same or are planning to. Some liked it, some moved back again.

I like it where I am. Lots of pubs and good places to eat in this end of town these days. Doesn't come close to central London of course but a damn sight better than the belt around the M25!

I agree. Fully. Well, you know my thoughts on this Ux.

Hopefully one day when circumstances are different I'll move back.

While the Council and the Luftwaffe have done us no favours over the years it's still a great place to live with a completely different pace of life and where the good folks massively outweigh the scumbags. The rest cannot be said for large parts of the UK.

I too struggle to comprehend why we are the first to knock ourselves...
What happened to Swansea on 17:35 - Aug 12 with 2414 viewswaynekerr55

What happened to Swansea on 16:28 - Aug 12 by Uxbridge

Oi - there's f*ck all wrong with the belt around the M25 you cheeky git

How many of you know what DP stands for?
Poll: POTY 2019
Blog: Too many things for a title, but stop with the xenophobia accusations!

What happened to Swansea on 18:32 - Aug 12 with 2381 viewsDr_Winston

The biggest problem with Swansea is the immense untapped potential that has been completely unexploited for decades. A city with the natural setting we have should be a major destination. Outdoors, indoors, aquatic or whatever, people should be coming here in droves throughout the year. That is what we should be concentrating on. An artificial reef somewhere in the bay would bring the surfies in.

Shopping centres are overrated. More and more people buy online these days so heavy investment in traditional retail ventures is just storing up trouble for the future IMO. Already huge shopping malls across North America are closing down because of eCommerce.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

What happened to Swansea on 18:40 - Aug 12 with 2377 viewsAquinas

After going to places like Barnsley, Coventry, Croydon etc I wouldn't say the city centre is that bad. The University is constantly improving and with the new campus hopefully it will mean increased investment.

The walk from Wind St up to the train station is grim but its emphasised by the fact its surroundings are much nicer. Some cities have entire areas that resemble our high street.

I'd much rather see government money go to improving the shit that is the welsh health system than pouring millions into regenerating the tiniest area in an otherwise nice enough city.
What happened to Swansea on 19:58 - Aug 12 with 2352 viewsperchrockjack

Good post lobbies,really

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

What happened to Swansea on 21:15 - Aug 12 with 2328 viewskeeponrockin

Thank you for many of the intelligent replies, appreciated.

I'm not here to knock Swansea, I'm saying this because I love my Home town and it saddens me. I will always love Swansea and I'll always love coming back to visit.

It should be a great City - but the operative word is 'should' many of the examples people cite are urban crap holes without a coastline and with mass immigration (yeah I said it) we on the other hand could have a thriving coastal City with the right leadership.
[Post edited 12 Aug 2014 21:16]
What happened to Swansea on 21:24 - Aug 12 with 2315 viewsNogginthenog

Ugly, lovely town"....says it all really,

I would like to see some major changes to the city centre and the banishment of the bendy bus. At the end of the day though it's a fabulous place to live, the bay the Gower the Beacons all within spitting distance. I would love to see a bit more development of the promenade too, get a few more cafes and bars in situ and watch the visitors and cash roll in.
What happened to Swansea on 08:05 - Aug 13 with 2244 viewsUxbridge

What happened to Swansea on 17:11 - Aug 12 by Curcubita_Ultra

I agree. Fully. Well, you know my thoughts on this Ux.

Hopefully one day when circumstances are different I'll move back.

While the Council and the Luftwaffe have done us no favours over the years it's still a great place to live with a completely different pace of life and where the good folks massively outweigh the scumbags. The rest cannot be said for large parts of the UK.

I too struggle to comprehend why we are the first to knock ourselves...

Indeed. It's a Welsh thing. Accentuate the negatives and ignore the positives. And how anyone can ignore the positives is beyond me.

We all know there's massive scope for improvement. I'm with Jobbie on the shopping front ... I buy nothing bar food, drink and clothes in person ... and we've already seen the start of the rebalancing of the city centre to more residential which is long overdue as the centre is simply too large geographically. I remember our favourite unreliable legal eagle talking about that with a city planner eons ago.

I reckon you need to move away to appreciate the pace of life thing. It's a massive improvement, especially for a lazy sod like me. I slip back into it easily enough but enjoy switching back. Given the rumoured moves we could end up with more SEALS back here than down there!!

What happened to Swansea on 08:11 - Aug 13 with 2241 viewsUxbridge

What happened to Swansea on 17:35 - Aug 12 by waynekerr55

Nowt the widening of the M25 by, ooh, 20 miles wouldn't fix

Things I miss:
Being able to get anywhere in the world really really easily.
The Swans away trips with the SEALS
Nights out in some superb pubs

London is a great city. Truly great. Love it. I enjoy going back there. Luckily I can easily enough and will for Chelsea.

What happened to Swansea on 08:57 - Aug 13 with 2223 viewsjackonicko

What happened to Swansea on 17:35 - Aug 12 by waynekerr55

It was a typo. He meant belters.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024