Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The straw that broke the camel's back 10:48 - Oct 31 with 6266 viewsHollowayHoop

I really, really do not want to be writing this. Despite everything (and what some may describe as the mountain of ever growing evidence in front of me) Chris Ramsey had my full support until last night, and more precisely the 73rd minute of last night's game, when at 1 - 0 down to a bang average Brentford side, he used our final permitted substitution of the match to replace a defender with a defender.

At the time I was incandescent with rage. We were being overrun in midfield and had created the grand sum of zero chances in the second half. Why not bring on Faurlin? And why Perch? He has been rubbish since he joined. To add to my list of grievances, when viewed close up Perch genuinely reminds me of that awful 7 days qunt, Craig David. I do not need that in my life right now!

But whatever Chris Ramsey's reasons for the sub were, what concerns me the most is the sheer idiocy of his game management . I appreciate that many will say last night was entirely consistent with his game management since he took over at QPR, but I guess I invested too much into what the club was say about long term aims and him being a grade A coach; our performances at Sunderland and Villa away last season convinced me that he knew what he was doing. Lets not forget how we all congratulated ourselves over Ramsey's game management during the Villa game when he out thought Tactical Tim. Those solitary decent performances did enough to placate me throughout the nightmares of West Ham at home with Karl Henry playing on left wing, and indeed Man City and Leicstaaar away.

Going back to his substitution last night, the only way that I was able to rationalize it was by assuming that Ramsey had been fooled by the fact that Clint Hill was injured, and it just didn't occur to him that he could make a strategic substitution. He must have had some sort of a brain freeze leading him to think that his only option was to replace an injured defender with a fit defender. But that's Fking retarded! Seriously, not even my fiance would have made that sub, and she is capable of doing some really irritating things, I assure you.

So, to bring this rant to a close, I have to blame Ramsey for the inept and toothless manner in which we closed last night's match. Whilst I am extremely and overtly proud to have kept Brentford's lead down to just a single goal (in fairness, Perch did well to stop a late 1 on 1 - and Big Chief was downright useless and 100% guilty of laziness/ball watching for their goal) I am also really, really upset and annoyed. I don't want promotion but that just wasn't good enough. I thoroughly bought into the club's talk of long term plans with only mid-table consolidation on the menu for this season (who actually wants us to be in the Premier League? Was last season fun?). I just can't see what possible progress we can make with an idiot for a manager. And yes I get that there are issues at the club which no manager is going to resolve, hence Hughes and Redknapp also failed, but bringing on Perch for Hill at 1-0 down with 17 minutes left....

Any by the way, I also thought Harry Redknapp was massive twunt so please don't think I am writing this out of racism.

Finally, this is my first post so... I go for any sort of moldy blue cheese - maybe a Gorgonzola. But I'm on a very strict diet and need to lose 1.5 stone in order to fit and not look ridiculous in my groom's suit in 11 months time, so let's please leave the cheese alone for now.
The straw that broke the camel's back on 17:31 - Oct 31 with 1580 viewsNeil_SI

The straw that broke the camel's back on 15:05 - Oct 31 by sevenhoop

Neil, in your desperation to be "reasonable" and "understanding", you do come up with a load of cobblers. why not the game for Faurlin, exactly? Why, because they "flooded their midfield" did that mean that Faurlin couldn't cope. Why would you not have your classiest midfielder on in those circustances (or under any circumstances for that matter). Henry (uselessly "covering a lot of ground" a better option than Faurlin? do me a favour.

I'm a fan of Faurlin mate, but he is not capable of playing every week, and if you've not realised that then I don't know what to say. Clive's last match report on the matter summed it up really. He does not have the legs for it any more, and previous managers flogged him to death on his return from injury and ruined him further.

I think what we're doing is sensible, if he can get through a whole season with no problems, then he can be really pleased with that, however little he is involved. We've got to take our time with him and they have to take every precaution, because the rest of his career is at stake any one more injury will almost certainly end it. Had that not been the case, and he had no problems, then of course you'd want to see him in the side every week. But that's not reality.

As good as Faurlin was before his injury he wasn't the sort of player who picked up players well when they ran off his shoulder, nor was he the quickest, and now he is a lot slower and less mobile than before. Brentford played with players off the shoulder and running in behind, these are traits where Henry's skill set is above the others defensively. They also pressed and worked hard, harassing our players and making sure they didn't have time on the ball.

The type of passes we looked for in this match, where Faurlin used to be strong, he's actually become weaker. He can still pass a ball well, but there's certain passes, the hooked ones into the left channel, where I've noticed his technique has changed and he's far less accurate with them than he used to be. That could be because of a lack of time over the years, or it genuinely could be that his knees have forced a change in the way he strikes a ball.

If it was a different sort of match, if we were a bit less kick and rush, and willing and wanting to play with a bit more side to side and build up over shorter difference, then you'd say it was an option. But it wasn't, there was an awful lot of chasing and covering needed, and plenty of balls up in the air, and I'm not sure I want to see Faurlin having to do a lot of jumping up and down on those knees either.

He would have suited the match against MK Dons last week, where it was slower paced, with a lot more build up play with the ball on the deck from both sides. I think this one was just too physical for him at this stage, and I'm doubtful he'll be able to get back to that kind of level of intensity on a regular basis, personally. I hope I'm wrong of course.
The straw that broke the camel's back on 17:47 - Oct 31 with 1565 viewsDejR_vu

The straw that broke the camel's back on 11:50 - Oct 31 by HollowayHoop

Anyway, the only person who know's conclusively what would or would not have happened had we brought on Faurlin and switched a back 3 is Clive, so I guess we'll just have to wait for his match report.

Wow, I know many on here think Clive is some sort of God but has he now been officially promoted?

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

The straw that broke the camel's back on 17:56 - Oct 31 with 1546 viewsCopenranger

Also CR had stated, that this wouldnt be another Fulham, so he probably didn't want to risk a bigger defeat by going with 3 at the back, even if it would give us more options going forward..
The straw that broke the camel's back on 17:58 - Oct 31 with 1542 viewsitsbiga

What kills me is Leceister 3rd in the Prem after 11 games.
Just shows how effing badly our club is run especially with the money we have had available.
Watford doing ok so far too.

Poll: Serious concern we'll double drop?

The straw that broke the camel's back on 22:08 - Oct 31 with 1461 viewsBenny_the_Ball

The straw that broke the camel's back on 11:14 - Oct 31 by daveB

What sub would you have made when Hill went off injured, it seemed the only option to me unless we switched to 3 at the back

Er, switch to 3 at the back?
The straw that broke the camel's back on 13:24 - Nov 1 with 1376 viewsTGRRRSSS

Neil on the basis you think Faurlin doesnt have the legs and I accept why you think that but I'd question how much value he can bring to the team going forward - 2 serious injuries and over played too early by others in the past, but how many games a season can he be useful.
Many sides are flooding the midfield and many sides look better than us weekly in midfield for this reason.
The straw that broke the camel's back on 21:48 - Nov 1 with 1246 viewsrichpr

it was the Luongo substitution that pee'd me off. I made a comment on the match thread that 2 good efforts by Luongo means he will be a cert to be subbed - exactly what happened. And yes Luongo was not as good second half but if you took off Austin everytime he did nothing in 70 minutes, he would not have scored half the goals he has.
The straw that broke the camel's back on 10:30 - Nov 2 with 1178 viewsMvpeter

The straw that broke the camel's back on 21:48 - Nov 1 by richpr

it was the Luongo substitution that pee'd me off. I made a comment on the match thread that 2 good efforts by Luongo means he will be a cert to be subbed - exactly what happened. And yes Luongo was not as good second half but if you took off Austin everytime he did nothing in 70 minutes, he would not have scored half the goals he has.

I've watched quite a few away games on the telly with my mates none of whom are Rangers and as soon Luongo hit the post the second time they all to a man turned to me and said 'better get him off now'

Poll: Who should be our left back?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024