Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The worst way to pick a manager 04:32 - Dec 11 with 2202 viewsGlyn1

You are the chairman of a prosperous company.

You need to appoint a new managing director who will be paid more in a week than the prime minister gets in a year. If you choose the right candidate, you will get £90 million a year extra for the foreseeable future. It's a big investment with huge consequences whether right or wrong.

Therefore, do you:

(A) Carry out some long-term research, get a due diligence report, interview the candidates over several weeks, wait until the company is in a quiet period and make a decision

OR

(B) Do you sack the current managing director whom you gave a multi-million pound long-term contract a few months ago, run around like a headless chicken, and pick a name out of a hat?

If your initials are H J then there's no need to answer this question.

(This isn't a question about whether Garry needed or didn't need to be replaced - it's about the selection process afterwards. On a scale of 1 to 10, how efficient does it seem to you?)
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 4:36]

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The worst way to pick a manager on 05:03 - Dec 11 with 2169 viewsTummer_from_Texas

How long do you suppose he can do his "long term research" and "wait for a quiet period?"

POTY 2015
Poll: Biggest signing so far in January? (just curious what Planet Swans thinks)

The worst way to pick a manager on 06:46 - Dec 11 with 2099 viewssomersetsimon

Do you think we are doing anything different to any other football club?

Football doesn't follow the rules of any normal business - anywhere else, a chairman of a company with a turnover of £100M+ and a profit of just £1M would be considered a failure!
The worst way to pick a manager on 07:06 - Dec 11 with 2059 viewsEdmundo

The worst way to pick a manager on 06:46 - Dec 11 by somersetsimon

Do you think we are doing anything different to any other football club?

Football doesn't follow the rules of any normal business - anywhere else, a chairman of a company with a turnover of £100M+ and a profit of just £1M would be considered a failure!

There's a lot of failures in the Premier League then, you can count those that make a profit on one hand😉

Swansea City-Officially the best football team in Wales-FACT

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:09 - Dec 11 with 2053 viewsAngelRangelQS

How do you know he's running around like a headless chicken and is going to pull a name out of a hat?
The worst way to pick a manager on 07:41 - Dec 11 with 2002 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

This is if you believe that everyone who has distanced themselves has actually been contacted.

To be fair our club has kept closed ranks about a lot of information for the last couple of years well - apart from those in the know on here anyway

Personally I think Huw has a plan but I don't think we are quite the attractive option that many on here are making us out to be

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:53 - Dec 11 with 1968 viewsDr_Winston

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:41 - Dec 11 by PatchesOHoulihan

This is if you believe that everyone who has distanced themselves has actually been contacted.

To be fair our club has kept closed ranks about a lot of information for the last couple of years well - apart from those in the know on here anyway

Personally I think Huw has a plan but I don't think we are quite the attractive option that many on here are making us out to be

Maybe a chairman developing a reputation for signing players his managers neither want nor rate is becoming an issue.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The worst way to pick a manager on 08:03 - Dec 11 with 1941 viewsAngelRangelQS

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:41 - Dec 11 by PatchesOHoulihan

I disagree - I think we are a pretty attractive option.

Those who have distanced themselves are already in jobs and so I doubt we'd have gone for them anyway. The only one who isn't is Brendan who understandably doesn't want to go back.

The papers are only guessing at this moment in time. I think we are closer than people think
The worst way to pick a manager on 08:11 - Dec 11 with 1913 viewsDevz00

The worst way to pick a manager on 08:03 - Dec 11 by AngelRangelQS

Those who have distanced themselves are already in jobs and so I doubt we'd have gone for them anyway. The only one who isn't is Brendan who understandably doesn't want to go back.

The papers are only guessing at this moment in time. I think we are closer than people think

This, this and more this.

Genetically, paedophiles have more genes in common with crabs than they do with you and me. Now that is scientific fact. There's no real evidence for it, but it is scientific fact.

Login to get fewer ads

The worst way to pick a manager on 08:18 - Dec 11 with 1878 viewsPatchesOHoulihan

The worst way to pick a manager on 08:03 - Dec 11 by AngelRangelQS

I didn't say we were unattractive I just think there are cons to managers coming here as well as pros

For the right person it is a great job - talented squad with underperforming payers

This is Patches O'Houlihan saying "Take care of your balls, and they'll take care of you."

The worst way to pick a manager on 09:04 - Dec 11 with 1782 viewsYr_Arglwydd_Rhys

I'd second the comment that football is not a normal business. Few normal businesses, no matter how large, would have their next managing director role discussed on the back page of the Sun, and would - at best - have to contend only with the op eds in the FT.

Likewise, their results would be reported quarterly, not weekly, and not subject to intense debate by countless pundits, journos, and inebriated old farts on a Saturday night.
The worst way to pick a manager on 09:56 - Dec 11 with 1673 viewsmonmouth

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:53 - Dec 11 by Dr_Winston

Maybe a chairman developing a reputation for signing players his managers neither want nor rate is becoming an issue.

That is a seriously plausible explanation for Emnes, Ngog, Eder, Tabanou etc. You do wonder who is making these calls and how the scouting and selection system actually works.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

The worst way to pick a manager on 10:05 - Dec 11 with 1648 viewsQuakerJack

The worst way to pick a manager on 09:56 - Dec 11 by monmouth

That is a seriously plausible explanation for Emnes, Ngog, Eder, Tabanou etc. You do wonder who is making these calls and how the scouting and selection system actually works.

If this was true it would turn my very high opinion of our board upside down. Nothing worse than a hierarchy that meddles in football matters, signs players the manager doesn't want etc... may as well get Ashley and Dennis Wise in.

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

The worst way to pick a manager on 10:27 - Dec 11 with 1602 viewsClinton

Any chairman with Huws record of picking five winners on the trot would be given as much leeway as he wants in any normal business.
Go by Huws record, best in the business.
Add to that we are the only business in the premier league and most of the championship who haven't had significant injection of outside funds in the last few years.
Trust Huw, he's got more riding on this one than anyone here. He's a fan too don't forget, and he gets a whopping bonus if we stay in the premier league. 250k or thereabouts isn't it?

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

The worst way to pick a manager on 10:46 - Dec 11 with 1552 viewsOldjack

The worst way to pick a manager on 10:27 - Dec 11 by Clinton

Any chairman with Huws record of picking five winners on the trot would be given as much leeway as he wants in any normal business.
Go by Huws record, best in the business.
Add to that we are the only business in the premier league and most of the championship who haven't had significant injection of outside funds in the last few years.
Trust Huw, he's got more riding on this one than anyone here. He's a fan too don't forget, and he gets a whopping bonus if we stay in the premier league. 250k or thereabouts isn't it?

Exactly, It's not ideal having to rush someone in ,but Knowing Huw & co they've been on this case for a good few weeks now

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

The worst way to pick a manager on 11:12 - Dec 11 with 1514 viewsLoyal

How do you know he hasn't got a host of candidates all of the same abilities and will approach them ( or has approached them ) to be the next manager.

Odd post based on not knowing what has happened or indeed what is currently happening.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The worst way to pick a manager on 16:28 - Dec 11 with 1384 viewsGlyn1

The worst way to pick a manager on 11:12 - Dec 11 by Loyal

How do you know he hasn't got a host of candidates all of the same abilities and will approach them ( or has approached them ) to be the next manager.

Odd post based on not knowing what has happened or indeed what is currently happening.

"Odd post based on not knowing what is happening or indeed what is currently happening."

In other words, just like every other posting on this website for the last few days! At least it isn't passing on any rumours!

For the last few seasons the club has been run on the basis that HJ and the scouts select the new players who the manager has to fit into the team - the Swans manager can contribute to the decision making but doesn't have a veto and can't choose anyone that HJ doesn't want. That system is common on the Continent and increasingly so over here, e.g. Mike Ashley at Newcastle. It may explain why Monk and Laudrup before him never really played a lot of our signings.

Poll: Who should be our next manager? Please name them.

The worst way to pick a manager on 16:40 - Dec 11 with 1366 viewsWxmJax

So you believe the manager is on £7.5 million a year ? OK, we'll dismiss the rest of your post with ease. Pity you didn't do a bit of research yourself.

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

The worst way to pick a manager on 16:44 - Dec 11 with 1358 viewsLoyal

The worst way to pick a manager on 16:28 - Dec 11 by Glyn1

"Odd post based on not knowing what is happening or indeed what is currently happening."

In other words, just like every other posting on this website for the last few days! At least it isn't passing on any rumours!

For the last few seasons the club has been run on the basis that HJ and the scouts select the new players who the manager has to fit into the team - the Swans manager can contribute to the decision making but doesn't have a veto and can't choose anyone that HJ doesn't want. That system is common on the Continent and increasingly so over here, e.g. Mike Ashley at Newcastle. It may explain why Monk and Laudrup before him never really played a lot of our signings.

That much we do know Glynn, I agree. But we actually employ agents to bring in our major signings, the four scouts we have are despatched or scout players for the board like Grimes and Fukton etc.

If a manger refuses to play the players that are selected for him he should be disciplined and then sacked. So if your right they both made their own beds and are currently fast asleep.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

The worst way to pick a manager on 17:04 - Dec 11 with 1325 viewsdailew

We going to be paying a manager over £142,500 a week? Nearly £7.5m a year.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

The worst way to pick a manager on 17:08 - Dec 11 with 1314 viewsSwanzay

The worst way to pick a manager on 07:53 - Dec 11 by Dr_Winston

Very interesting comment there Dr...
The worst way to pick a manager on 17:36 - Dec 11 with 1262 viewsskippyjack

Come on for f*ck sake.. this is ridiculous..

I know for a fact we have already interviewed a few managers..

I know for a fact one of those managers will take the reins after the Man City game.. possibly Monday or Tuesday.

His staff will be occupying the roles Clotet, Beattie & O'Leary held.

He'll probably or likely to be attending the Man City game on Saturday..

4 Contracts will not be written up within 3 days and submitted.

It's a business after all!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 17:41]

The awkward moment when a Welsh Club become the Champions of England.. shh The Swansea Way.. To upset the odds.
Poll: Best Swans Player

The worst way to pick a manager on 17:37 - Dec 11 with 1262 viewslegoman

Any company of the size of SCFC should be succession planning as a matter of course. Question is, do we believe HJ and the board have been doing this?

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

The worst way to pick a manager on 17:40 - Dec 11 with 1246 viewsfbreath

The worst way to pick a manager on 17:36 - Dec 11 by skippyjack

Come on for f*ck sake.. this is ridiculous..

I know for a fact we have already interviewed a few managers..

I know for a fact one of those managers will take the reins after the Man City game.. possibly Monday or Tuesday.

His staff will be occupying the roles Clotet, Beattie & O'Leary held.

He'll probably or likely to be attending the Man City game on Saturday..

4 Contracts will not be written up within 3 days and submitted.

It's a business after all!
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 17:41]

He's not going to get much insight into team sat there in an empty stadium

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024