Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A time to look forward 12:29 - Mar 8 with 4623 viewsManBearSwan2

A lot of people seem to be living in the past. Everyone seems so keen to bring old people back to the club... Brendon, Bony etc.

Don't get me wrong, I have utmost respect for people that have done well and helped our club grow. And sometimes bringing someone back works, look at Sigurdsson.

I just think that, perhaps more so this year, the league has changed, teams have changed and tactics have changed quite dramatically. What once worked, doesn’t work anymore.

There appear to be an increased number of younger, fitter, hungrier and better players playing different styles like high press and fast counter attack football. I've also noticed a number of typical "target man" strikers across different teams struggling to adapt to these changes.

It's more difficult then ever for possession teams to play. I think Laudrup and Monk realised this and tried to counter it somehow, unfortunately they failed, but at least they tried.

The reason Swansea surprised, got promoted and succeeded in the Premiership was by playing a different brand of football.

It's time, not to forget, but remember the past, take a look forward and try something new, different and exciting. I don't know what that is, but i'd like to take a chance trying to find it next season.

Feel free to read, reply, abuse, ignore, delete. I'm just getting it off my mind by typing it out.
A time to look forward on 12:51 - Mar 8 with 3380 viewsWingstandwood

There does seem to be some kind of misty eyed sentimental hysteria with some fans! One for example? The one where some fans advocate a near future return of Alan Tate in some coaching role capacity or other............ SCFC is a Premier League club and in a position to employ vastly experienced and fully qualified coaches whom have experience of playing and coaching at 'footballing-elite-level(s) both home and abroad..............But hey!.......Take an utterly unnecessary expensive gamble!......... Get an inexperienced rookie in immediately right after he has got his coaching badges cos...........He's a Jack B@stard!

Employ Tate sometime in the future by all means but not until he has earned his stripes, has gained relative experience and comes with a reputation to gain the respect of higher division players.

Argus!

A time to look forward on 13:06 - Mar 8 with 3357 viewsperchrockjack

A time to look forward on 12:51 - Mar 8 by Wingstandwood

There does seem to be some kind of misty eyed sentimental hysteria with some fans! One for example? The one where some fans advocate a near future return of Alan Tate in some coaching role capacity or other............ SCFC is a Premier League club and in a position to employ vastly experienced and fully qualified coaches whom have experience of playing and coaching at 'footballing-elite-level(s) both home and abroad..............But hey!.......Take an utterly unnecessary expensive gamble!......... Get an inexperienced rookie in immediately right after he has got his coaching badges cos...........He's a Jack B@stard!

Employ Tate sometime in the future by all means but not until he has earned his stripes, has gained relative experience and comes with a reputation to gain the respect of higher division players.

IT is indeed and a great post.

People decrying thst post and that thinking are our problems

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

A time to look forward on 13:10 - Mar 8 with 3346 viewsNeiltheTaylor

Quite possibly the largest straw man ever created

Joe_bradshaw -I thought the cryochamber was the new name for Cardiff's stadium.

A time to look forward on 13:19 - Mar 8 with 3319 viewsshandyjack

so is the OP advocating not bringing back Bony is the option was there too???

perosnally the only 3 i'd bring back again would be Allen, Bony and Rodgers, all 3 would be assets to this squad and managing it

Poll: Expectation for the season

A time to look forward on 13:42 - Mar 8 with 3276 viewslegoman

What has become more apparent to me this season is the rise of "player power". If a coach could solve the issue of motivating 11 young multi-millionaires to put a bloody shift in each week and play like they cared a jot, teams might be more successful.

"M'sieur, you said your dog did not bite!" "That's not my dog"

A time to look forward on 14:05 - Mar 8 with 3243 viewsmonmouth

A time to look forward on 13:42 - Mar 8 by legoman

What has become more apparent to me this season is the rise of "player power". If a coach could solve the issue of motivating 11 young multi-millionaires to put a bloody shift in each week and play like they cared a jot, teams might be more successful.

Ask Claudio Eddie Ranieri-Howe. He seems like he knows.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A time to look forward on 15:03 - Mar 8 with 3181 viewsA_Fans_Dad

A time to look forward on 14:05 - Mar 8 by monmouth

Ask Claudio Eddie Ranieri-Howe. He seems like he knows.

Whereas Mourhino & GM had no idea and boy didn't it show.
A time to look forward on 15:17 - Mar 8 with 3153 viewsjasper_T

We all dream of a coaching team of Alan Tates.
Login to get fewer ads

A time to look forward on 17:06 - Mar 8 with 3072 viewsStarsky

A time to look forward on 13:19 - Mar 8 by shandyjack

so is the OP advocating not bringing back Bony is the option was there too???

perosnally the only 3 i'd bring back again would be Allen, Bony and Rodgers, all 3 would be assets to this squad and managing it

Indeed.
Some posters should not get hung up on pigeon holing where players come from.
If they are ex players, so be it, if they're a good choice.
Didn't see them moaning when we re-signed Britton & even Alan Curtis back in the day.
Bournemouth re-signed their manager. Sometimes it's the better option

It's just the internet, init.

A time to look forward on 18:15 - Mar 8 with 3021 viewsbonymine

A time to look forward on 12:51 - Mar 8 by Wingstandwood

Tatey was at the U21 game yesterday at Landore and moved around the building quite freely almost as if he was already employed there ! Is he, I don't know ?

Jenkins & Dineen were also there watching yesterday along with Guidolin's No.2 Ambrosetti, Fernandez and Barrow. Jeff's Dad also sat behind me watching the game with Fernandez.

What struck me most though regarding Montero was that when there was a break in play due to an injury both teams made for the dugout area for a team huddle/team talk with the coaches yet Jeff decided to stay out there on his own at the far side of the pitch...

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but he certainly didn't perform at his best yesterday, he did hit the bar with a shot and played in Biabi for the penalty but other than that he did not stand out which he should surely do at this level ?

I accept that he has lacked 'game time' but going back to pre season I went to watch Leon playing in the U21's against Wrexham as I thought it was maybe his 'swan song' before a transfer away and he absolutely oozed class and made the game look easy.

Unfortunately, Jeff didn't have the same impact yet I still harbour a hope somewhere that he can still make a positive impact off the bench before the end of this season albeit that he is now behind Barrow in the pecking order ....

Only time will tell....

STID ... Together Stronger

💪💪💪

Poll: Why is this site so quiet these days ?

A time to look forward on 18:58 - Mar 8 with 2971 viewsswan65split

Theres an old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".................Yes ML and GM !!
A time to look forward on 19:45 - Mar 8 with 2926 viewsGreatBritton

The point above about big target men looking a bit bemused by it all this season is very valid in my view.

What Leicester and to some extent Watford and Bournemouth have done is relied solely on pace. The 'technical' sides (Everton, Chelsea, Man U, Swansea I'd include) have been too slow and ponderous in comparison.

We need some sprinters, but we already have one in Barrow so I think he needs to be very much integral to our team next season. Is Gorre rapid? Bafe isn't. Paloschi looks like he could thrive if we bunged the ball over the top too. What I think we may need is a Drinkwater/Kante duo to grab the ball early and spring the sprinters.
A time to look forward on 06:53 - Mar 9 with 2824 viewsphact0rri

Well when you think about, how to improve, or make the best bit of change known quantities tend to be the best answer. its why hollywood does remakes and sequels, why bands don't magically get major record deals... after all its better the devil you know.

Poll: Should EPL Refrees hold Post-Match Interviews

A time to look forward on 09:57 - Mar 9 with 2761 viewsjasper_T

A time to look forward on 19:45 - Mar 8 by GreatBritton

The point above about big target men looking a bit bemused by it all this season is very valid in my view.

What Leicester and to some extent Watford and Bournemouth have done is relied solely on pace. The 'technical' sides (Everton, Chelsea, Man U, Swansea I'd include) have been too slow and ponderous in comparison.

We need some sprinters, but we already have one in Barrow so I think he needs to be very much integral to our team next season. Is Gorre rapid? Bafe isn't. Paloschi looks like he could thrive if we bunged the ball over the top too. What I think we may need is a Drinkwater/Kante duo to grab the ball early and spring the sprinters.

United are doing exactly as well as the ability of their squad would suggest (with some surprises above and below them), Chelsea are unbeaten in forever after half a season of tantrums and infighting, and we haven't been a technical side since the Great Spanish Purge (or maybe when Bony left).

Quick play back to front is what Garry was trying to do with Bafe, Montero and Jonjo. It gets found out if you can't back it up with footballing ability.

Leicester are finding it harder now that teams are defending deeper against them, but pace isn't their only weapon. Mahrez, Drinkwater, Albrighton etc. are all performing at a technical level higher than most of the league right now. Vardy's finishing has been legitimately world class.
A time to look forward on 10:02 - Mar 9 with 2751 viewsjasper_T

The reason we've struggled is because the technical level in the squad has dropped, not a lack of pace.

Compare Bony's ability on the ball to Gomis. I love Gylfi and Cork but they're not on Hernandez and De Guzman's level technically. Fernandez is a better defender than Chico but doesn't do half as much with the ball. Look at how much more control we seemed to have over games once Britton returned.

We're an average or below Premier League side when it comes to footballing "talent" (in the reductive sense). Look at the players Stoke have playing for them these days.
A time to look forward on 12:17 - Mar 9 with 2682 viewsNeiltheTaylor

A time to look forward on 10:02 - Mar 9 by jasper_T

The reason we've struggled is because the technical level in the squad has dropped, not a lack of pace.

Compare Bony's ability on the ball to Gomis. I love Gylfi and Cork but they're not on Hernandez and De Guzman's level technically. Fernandez is a better defender than Chico but doesn't do half as much with the ball. Look at how much more control we seemed to have over games once Britton returned.

We're an average or below Premier League side when it comes to footballing "talent" (in the reductive sense). Look at the players Stoke have playing for them these days.

Decent point, although I wouldn't put Gylfi in there!

A time to look forward on 12:25 - Mar 9 with 2662 viewsperchrockjack

Ok .come on , admit it.

Quite why flaky unreliable injury prone journeymen still revered by some on here.
Hernandez ? Ff s. Jog. More technical but miles less physically less able to maximise their ability whivh negates whatever skills they had.
Chicco, too. A joke, a laughing stock who played the odd sound game.

All virtual nobodies now and there s a reason for that

A time to look forward on 12:28 - Mar 9 with 2655 viewsNeiltheTaylor

A time to look forward on 12:29 - Mar 9 with 2649 viewsperchrockjack

Nathan looks handsome there

A time to look forward on 12:32 - Mar 9 with 2634 viewsJoe_bradshaw

A time to look forward on 12:29 - Mar 9 by perchrockjack

Nathan looks handsome there

Garry looks as though he's plotting something. ....

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

A time to look forward on 12:34 - Mar 9 with 2630 viewsNeiltheTaylor

A time to look forward on 12:32 - Mar 9 by Joe_bradshaw

Garry looks as though he's plotting something. ....

Trying to make Tiendalli work harder there...!

A time to look forward on 13:02 - Mar 9 with 2592 viewsjasper_T

A time to look forward on 12:17 - Mar 9 by NeiltheTaylor

Decent point, although I wouldn't put Gylfi in there!

Gylfi's great when the ball isn't moving but he's not quite got the touch or maneuverability in tight spaces that some of the Spaniards had. Wouldn't trade him for any of them.
A time to look forward on 13:03 - Mar 9 with 2587 viewsLoyal

Gylfi is the only world class player we have, end of.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

A time to look forward on 13:40 - Mar 9 with 2549 viewsA_Fans_Dad

"The reason we've struggled is because the technical level in the squad has dropped, not a lack of pace. "

Yes it was a lack of technical level in the squad that got us our highest place ever last season.
It also allowed us to beat teams like Arsenal & Man U not once but twice.
Just think what we could achieve if the squad acyually had some of that technical ability.
A time to look forward on 13:54 - Mar 9 with 2532 viewsClinton

Surely the reason is we sold "footballers" and bought "pace and power". part of the problem was not using the pace properly. Withe the team we ended up with under Garry, we needed to be playing like Palace or Leicester, on the break, to get something. Although Palaces results without Bolassie show how fragile that approach can be.
We just need to buy sensibly over the next two or three Windows to bring back some subtlety and combine it with the increased pace and power you need in the Premier league these days.
We also have to accept that the game has changed and strengthened since r first promotion season. I wouldn't imagine that group surviving if we'd come up this season.
I'd say Guidolin has to be given a chance, but, we should be mindful to have candidates in mind if we have to replace him.
BTW. always wondered why clubs don't try to bring on managers from within. I don't mean promoting ex players like Garry straight into management I mean identifying prospective managers and giving them experience with development teams. if good enough for first team, promote to assistant manager. if not good enough for first team, ship them out and try another one. I.e. Be a bit more ruthless,much as you would with development players.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024