Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Three Big Mistakes 07:48 - Feb 1 with 4959 viewsBoot

Although I remain optimistic about our chances of survival this season, we certainly haven't made it easy for ourselves. Many mistakes have been made but the top three in my opinion are:

Appointing BB- maybe our squad isn't the strongest we've had but I don't believe we are as bad as our goal difference suggests. He was absolutely clueless, his inadequacy could still be a deciding factor in staying up/relegation.

Not replacing AW- I had no problem with the club letting him go, from a business point of view and considering his age it made sense. Not investing in a quality CB is the issue.

Losing out on JA to stoke- I truly believed we would of secured his services in the summer, I argued with many who stated we were strong enough in midfield before start of the season, but our games thus far have only supported what I still believe. Still think if the chance arose again we should grab him, not going to help us this season obviously.

Interesting to hear your views about what you guys consider to be our three biggest mistakes this season which has had a direct result of the position we are currently in.
Three Big Mistakes on 08:00 - Feb 1 with 4237 viewsSwansNZ

All 3 mistakes are down to Huw, and his puppet masters.

Poll: Should the official match day thread include pictures?

Three Big Mistakes on 08:02 - Feb 1 with 4214 viewsBoot

Yeah....not going to argue with that, but what specifically would you consider the biggest mistakes THEY made?
Three Big Mistakes on 08:06 - Feb 1 with 4185 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Bradley!
Bradley!
Bradley!

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Three Big Mistakes on 08:10 - Feb 1 with 4164 viewsBoot

Haha.....but he can't be blamed for not replacing Ash surely.
Three Big Mistakes on 08:27 - Feb 1 with 4079 viewsswanjackal

This may not be the most popular opinion, but for me the thing that set a lot of this in motion was the decision to extend Guidolin's contract before the season started. The football under him didn't see us make marked improvement in performances consistently when he took over, despite the results improving, with a lot of luck in the run in to last season. We were getting results whilst being completely dominated on times, creating one or two chances to the oppositions 10-15 chances.

Also, he has to take part blame for recruitment, as he would identify the positions needed strengthening, as he readily admits, if not the actual players coming in. I am still uneasy with this style of management though. A manager (not a "head coach") should be in charge of their targets, knowing what kind of player they need to fit the style they want to play.

This season saw the luck run out. We started poorly, with seemingly awful fitness levels, and poor structurally, with players unsure of their roles. Now this was continued and deepened under Bradley, but this began firmly with Guidolin.

The whole beginning to this season was a shambles, losing the captain in Williams was a predictably massive blow, as anyone could see, although the money was good for a player his age, we had no real leaders in house to replace him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Three Big Mistakes on 08:45 - Feb 1 with 3996 viewsLandore_Jack

Recruitment has been an issue for the past three seasons. HJ is responsible for this and it is one of our biggest failures. Just look at the number of flops we have signed. Also, players have left the club and have not been replaced. The setup needs to change and that starts by HJ not being in charge of recruitment/transfers.

#backtojack

Three Big Mistakes on 08:54 - Feb 1 with 3944 viewsScotia

Three Big Mistakes on 08:27 - Feb 1 by swanjackal

This may not be the most popular opinion, but for me the thing that set a lot of this in motion was the decision to extend Guidolin's contract before the season started. The football under him didn't see us make marked improvement in performances consistently when he took over, despite the results improving, with a lot of luck in the run in to last season. We were getting results whilst being completely dominated on times, creating one or two chances to the oppositions 10-15 chances.

Also, he has to take part blame for recruitment, as he would identify the positions needed strengthening, as he readily admits, if not the actual players coming in. I am still uneasy with this style of management though. A manager (not a "head coach") should be in charge of their targets, knowing what kind of player they need to fit the style they want to play.

This season saw the luck run out. We started poorly, with seemingly awful fitness levels, and poor structurally, with players unsure of their roles. Now this was continued and deepened under Bradley, but this began firmly with Guidolin.

The whole beginning to this season was a shambles, losing the captain in Williams was a predictably massive blow, as anyone could see, although the money was good for a player his age, we had no real leaders in house to replace him.

Spot on.

A totally clueless manager only marginally better than Bob. Has got away with it because of the off the field circumstances and the furore around his replacement. I'm convinced he was just here to pick up a top up to his pension, I don't think he gave a sh1t.
Three Big Mistakes on 09:25 - Feb 1 with 3820 views34dfgdf54

All three correct. But the Americans are surely to be blamed for the Bradley appointment, they won't try messing about again I'm sure of it.

Huw should be sacked for the Allen decision alone, needs to go, the sooner the better.
Login to get fewer ads

Three Big Mistakes on 09:28 - Feb 1 with 3808 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Three Big Mistakes on 08:54 - Feb 1 by Scotia

Spot on.

A totally clueless manager only marginally better than Bob. Has got away with it because of the off the field circumstances and the furore around his replacement. I'm convinced he was just here to pick up a top up to his pension, I don't think he gave a sh1t.

"Clueless"
The Manager that along with Curt kept us up the previous season.
The clueless one is you mate.
Three Big Mistakes on 09:40 - Feb 1 with 3768 viewsSTID2017

The biggest mistake was appointing BB.
We should either have stuck with Guidolin or else appointed someone with the necessary ability such as PC.
IMHO if we had done that the 12 games after Liverpool in October and Bournemouth at the end of December could have yielded at least 14 or more points, with a couple of draws and the odd win.
This could have been done with the squad as it was before the January window, as the squad as a whole had a hell of a lot more confidence even when we lost to Liverpool than it did by the time BB and his merry men had done their damage
I believe we will stay up, but PC still has a lot of work to do in the summer to ensure there's no repeat next season

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Three Big Mistakes on 09:58 - Feb 1 with 3713 viewsScotia

Three Big Mistakes on 09:28 - Feb 1 by A_Fans_Dad

"Clueless"
The Manager that along with Curt kept us up the previous season.
The clueless one is you mate.

Been here before.

I give him no credit whatsoever for keeping us up. He had a good squad, didn't get the best out of them and got some lucky results and played top sides reserve teams. Look at the report for the Villa game at home last year, sums it up really.

Clueless, useless, old, Ill and appy with the squad at the start of the season. Second worst manager since Cullis.
Three Big Mistakes on 10:19 - Feb 1 with 3649 viewsWarwickHunt

Three Big Mistakes on 09:58 - Feb 1 by Scotia

Been here before.

I give him no credit whatsoever for keeping us up. He had a good squad, didn't get the best out of them and got some lucky results and played top sides reserve teams. Look at the report for the Villa game at home last year, sums it up really.

Clueless, useless, old, Ill and appy with the squad at the start of the season. Second worst manager since Cullis.

Moron.
Three Big Mistakes on 10:29 - Feb 1 with 3612 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 10:19 - Feb 1 by WarwickHunt

Moron.

He's right though.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Three Big Mistakes on 10:29 - Feb 1 with 3611 viewsswanjackal

Been here before.

I am slightly less down on him than that. I give him credit for keeping us up, for the reason he was in charge at the time. I wasn't enamoured by the style of football he adopted from the start, but results did improve, albeit the performances were not particularly inspiring, relying on heavy slices of luck to remain in games at times. For those reasons, I was hoping we would have gone in a different direction in the summer, although I did understand the reasoning for keeping him on, he did successfully deliver safety.

Then when this season started, the performances and results began matching, and my fears were made reality. I didn't see the improvement to the end of his reign as some people claim there was, and although I think Bradley was a poor appointment for many reasons, a change was necessary, as was when Bradley went.

So I don't think Guidolin was clueless, just the wrong match for us. I won't use the "reserve team" argument, because you can only beat what is in front with you. What I judge on is the actual performances on the field, and his style of play just wasn't working, especially after the luck ran out. He didn't seem to instill the confidence to players, just like Bradley after, and as games went on you could see the longer the ball didn't go in the net, the more dejected the players got, and when you only create a couple of chances a game, you need to convert at least half of them to stand a chance, we didn't.

I don't think the players were truly behind him, and as a manager/ head coach you need that unfortunately.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 with 3582 viewsWarwickHunt

Three Big Mistakes on 10:29 - Feb 1 by Darran

He's right though.

Moron.
Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 with 3582 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 10:29 - Feb 1 by swanjackal

I am slightly less down on him than that. I give him credit for keeping us up, for the reason he was in charge at the time. I wasn't enamoured by the style of football he adopted from the start, but results did improve, albeit the performances were not particularly inspiring, relying on heavy slices of luck to remain in games at times. For those reasons, I was hoping we would have gone in a different direction in the summer, although I did understand the reasoning for keeping him on, he did successfully deliver safety.

Then when this season started, the performances and results began matching, and my fears were made reality. I didn't see the improvement to the end of his reign as some people claim there was, and although I think Bradley was a poor appointment for many reasons, a change was necessary, as was when Bradley went.

So I don't think Guidolin was clueless, just the wrong match for us. I won't use the "reserve team" argument, because you can only beat what is in front with you. What I judge on is the actual performances on the field, and his style of play just wasn't working, especially after the luck ran out. He didn't seem to instill the confidence to players, just like Bradley after, and as games went on you could see the longer the ball didn't go in the net, the more dejected the players got, and when you only create a couple of chances a game, you need to convert at least half of them to stand a chance, we didn't.

I don't think the players were truly behind him, and as a manager/ head coach you need that unfortunately.

You've only got look at the past weekends results to see what happens when managers put out weakened sides.
The only reason we beat Chelsea and Liverpool at home was because their managers put weakened sides out.
The only reason certain Monk haters (Warwick being one) had a hard on for him was because they desperately wanted him to turnaround the mess Monk had created.

Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 with 3580 viewsWarwickHunt

Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 by Darran

You've only got look at the past weekends results to see what happens when managers put out weakened sides.
The only reason we beat Chelsea and Liverpool at home was because their managers put weakened sides out.
The only reason certain Monk haters (Warwick being one) had a hard on for him was because they desperately wanted him to turnaround the mess Monk had created.

He did. Were you in a coma?
Three Big Mistakes on 10:44 - Feb 1 with 3542 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 by WarwickHunt

He did. Were you in a coma?

He didn't. We were worse in some games than the shit under Monk. We stayed up under nothing but an average manager who should never have had the job on the back of next to fuçk all last season.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 10:48]

Three Big Mistakes on 10:53 - Feb 1 with 3506 viewsswanjackal

Three Big Mistakes on 10:36 - Feb 1 by Darran

In principle I agree, but like I said, I won't use it as a stick to beat him with,as you can only beat what is in front of you. The thing that made me feel the way I did about Guidolin was the performances. We created little, and players often looked bewildered in position.

I agreed with the timing of Monk's removal too, but give him credit for getting us to the highest position in the Prem league so far, it was the right time, just like Laudrup before him, and Guidolin did enough to keep us in the league with results, but it was clear to me his style was more short term fire fighting than a long term building one, especially when you factor in how fortunate a lot of the results were based on the on field performances in the main. This is why it was no surprise to me to be struggling early on, regardless of the players brought in.

I was not a fan of him extending his contract, but we did, so give him my support, but it was clear results and performances were not good enough, and although I don't feel we would have had such a dent in goal difference under him to what happened under Bradley, I don't think we would have picked up many, if any, more points under his guidance than we did under Bradley.

But, like I said, I don't think he's clueless, just the wrong fit for us, and possibly the British game.

Three Big Mistakes on 10:56 - Feb 1 with 3494 viewsLandore_Jack

Been here before.

That is a harsh view which I do not agree with. I remember when we played West Ham away with a number of key players missing. We played them off the park and won 4-1. Under Monk we were in freefall. Guidolin came in and results improved. Okay, some of the performances weren't great but when you are in relegation battle it is the result that matters. When Monk left I think we were in the bottom three. We finished the season in 12th.

#backtojack

Three Big Mistakes on 11:01 - Feb 1 with 3472 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 10:53 - Feb 1 by swanjackal

In principle I agree, but like I said, I won't use it as a stick to beat him with,as you can only beat what is in front of you. The thing that made me feel the way I did about Guidolin was the performances. We created little, and players often looked bewildered in position.

I agreed with the timing of Monk's removal too, but give him credit for getting us to the highest position in the Prem league so far, it was the right time, just like Laudrup before him, and Guidolin did enough to keep us in the league with results, but it was clear to me his style was more short term fire fighting than a long term building one, especially when you factor in how fortunate a lot of the results were based on the on field performances in the main. This is why it was no surprise to me to be struggling early on, regardless of the players brought in.

I was not a fan of him extending his contract, but we did, so give him my support, but it was clear results and performances were not good enough, and although I don't feel we would have had such a dent in goal difference under him to what happened under Bradley, I don't think we would have picked up many, if any, more points under his guidance than we did under Bradley.

But, like I said, I don't think he's clueless, just the wrong fit for us, and possibly the British game.

And in principle I agree with that too.

Three Big Mistakes on 11:07 - Feb 1 with 3441 viewsWarwickHunt

Three Big Mistakes on 10:44 - Feb 1 by Darran

He didn't. We were worse in some games than the shit under Monk. We stayed up under nothing but an average manager who should never have had the job on the back of next to fuçk all last season.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 10:48]

Arf! Inherited Monk's car crash and took 25 from 15 games and kept us up with plenty to spare.

Anyone expecting champagne football as well was probably on crystal meth.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 11:08]
Three Big Mistakes on 11:12 - Feb 1 with 3411 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 11:07 - Feb 1 by WarwickHunt

Arf! Inherited Monk's car crash and took 25 from 15 games and kept us up with plenty to spare.

Anyone expecting champagne football as well was probably on crystal meth.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 11:08]

Any manager that states in public that he won't have any input into players shouldn't be worth a wańk anyway.

Three Big Mistakes on 11:15 - Feb 1 with 3398 viewsWarwickHunt

Three Big Mistakes on 11:12 - Feb 1 by Darran

Any manager that states in public that he won't have any input into players shouldn't be worth a wańk anyway.

Beep beep...

It's not uncommon in Europe and it works for clubs who have a DoF who isn't an egomaniacal fûckwit.

He was employed as a coach. Hope this helps.
Three Big Mistakes on 11:20 - Feb 1 with 3372 viewsDarran

Three Big Mistakes on 11:15 - Feb 1 by WarwickHunt

Beep beep...

It's not uncommon in Europe and it works for clubs who have a DoF who isn't an egomaniacal fûckwit.

He was employed as a coach. Hope this helps.

I'm not beeping he was fuçking crap in most people's opinion,the problem is/was we replaced the buffoon with a mega-buffoon.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024