Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! 14:08 - Mar 1 with 7526 viewsTimBowen

For us oldsters that remember the Tosh era...doesn't time fly boys 'n girls eh?

Tosh became our manager 40 years ago today and began our amazing rise through the leagues, often producing outstanding football and brought us to the attention of the nation.

Along with Laudrup's first season with us, our first season under Toshack, (in the old 1st Division) were among my favourite seasons supporting the Super Swans!

What's the lyric in the Swansea City song? "The skill, the flair, the fluency, will lead us to where we're bound, and once again all Europe will hear the Swansea City sound!"
Fabulous lyrics for a fabulous era!

March 1st under Tosh also has another sweet memory, during that first season in the old First Division 1981-1982. As we beat Wolves 0-1 away at Molineux on St David's Day, (with BBC commentator Ian Walsh getting the winner, to send us back top of the Division! We all dreamed of a Welsh club looking likely to win the League that year...sadly, we fell away after that, ending up 6th!

Fantastic memories indeed! Thank you for those incredible days Tosh.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 09:58 - Mar 3 with 1695 viewsepaul

Sent a shiver down my spine this. Heady days as a young lad watching the swans. Cant wait for the full film. A truer film than the last load o sh*te!

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:13 - Mar 3 with 1659 viewsWarwickHunt

Got completely and utterly twàtted after the Chesterfield game, stumbled out of a curry house in St. Helen's Road at about 3am and decided a lift back to Sketty Park via Clase and Birchgrove (or somewhere) from an equally pïssed driver was somehow a good idea...

We drove over a roundabout at speed and burst a tyre and we ended up in the middle of nowhere drunkenly trying to change the tyre. To our horror a cop car pulls up - "Alright lads?"

Oh fark...

I managed - "yes thanks - just changing a tyre..."

Coppers laughed, winked and drove off...
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:40 - Mar 3 with 1637 viewsmonmouth

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:13 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Got completely and utterly twàtted after the Chesterfield game, stumbled out of a curry house in St. Helen's Road at about 3am and decided a lift back to Sketty Park via Clase and Birchgrove (or somewhere) from an equally pïssed driver was somehow a good idea...

We drove over a roundabout at speed and burst a tyre and we ended up in the middle of nowhere drunkenly trying to change the tyre. To our horror a cop car pulls up - "Alright lads?"

Oh fark...

I was in Sheffield utterly ratted watching Wednesday beat Swindon which kicked off before our game (Swindon HAD to lose, they were strong favourites...and nobody remembers how close Gillingham actually got too by the seasons finish, same points I think and a gnats cock in goal difference. They unexpectedly drew too from 2-0 up I think). Anyway, no mobies in those days so had to wait for the scores to be confirmed before I really knew. Just assumed the Swans would win, had no idea it was frigging touch and go.

Ended up back in Leeds very drunk - I think I might have had a piss in the corner of the train carriage - and went to a place called Nafees for a curry (student curry houses yum yum), walked out and threw the whole lot up not a penalty spot away from the 'restaurant' and legged it.

A Grand Night Out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:55 - Mar 3 with 1623 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:40 - Mar 3 by monmouth

I was in Sheffield utterly ratted watching Wednesday beat Swindon which kicked off before our game (Swindon HAD to lose, they were strong favourites...and nobody remembers how close Gillingham actually got too by the seasons finish, same points I think and a gnats cock in goal difference. They unexpectedly drew too from 2-0 up I think). Anyway, no mobies in those days so had to wait for the scores to be confirmed before I really knew. Just assumed the Swans would win, had no idea it was frigging touch and go.

Ended up back in Leeds very drunk - I think I might have had a piss in the corner of the train carriage - and went to a place called Nafees for a curry (student curry houses yum yum), walked out and threw the whole lot up not a penalty spot away from the 'restaurant' and legged it.

A Grand Night Out.

I was on the NB (natch...) - there seemed to be some signal of that result (someone coming out of the players' tunnel swinging a lamp - technology eh?) to the players and a buzz went around.

Talking of pissed and curry houses - as we came out one bloke was staggering along the road on his own singing "One Waddle Oddle, there's only one Waddle Oddle..."

The infamous "Alan Waddle lays on more balls than Fiona Richmond" banner was on display that night I seem to remember.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 12:14 - Mar 3 with 1607 viewsswancity

These were great days to be Swans fan. The best ever IMO. I feel privileged to have witnessed the rise through the Divisions under Tosh. Remember one man, one manager achieved it all. The recent rise through the divisions isn't far behind, many similarities although that took several management changes with Martinez and Rodgers rightly taking most of the credit along with far less significant contributions from Jackett and Sousa.

My favourite ever Swans moments included being at Preston, the Tosh header v Chesterfield, the 5-1 win v Leeds and our 2-2 draw at Liverpool who were one of the top Club sides in world football at the time. From memory we were 2-0 up at Anfieldwith them equalising thru two disputed penalties. Fantastic memories.😀👏

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:15 - Mar 3 with 1525 viewsoldgrey

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 11:13 - Mar 3 by WarwickHunt

Oh fark...

Fcuk me Phil.
Noo Joysey boy was the driver, in his old red vauxhall chevette.
Yes, we crashed into the hedge by mynydd newydd. And at the t junction by morriston hospital we forgot to turn left and ended in the wall.
Good times.
We also did a runner from the curry house and NJ boy felt so guilty he went back to pay the next day.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:24 - Mar 3 with 1514 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:15 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

Fcuk me Phil.
Noo Joysey boy was the driver, in his old red vauxhall chevette.
Yes, we crashed into the hedge by mynydd newydd. And at the t junction by morriston hospital we forgot to turn left and ended in the wall.
Good times.
We also did a runner from the curry house and NJ boy felt so guilty he went back to pay the next day.

We could have been killed...what a way to go though!

I distinctly remember driving over a roundabout too. Fark...
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:26 - Mar 3 with 1504 viewsoldgrey

There's history. We nearly got killed in Swindon as well. Remember?
Login to get fewer ads

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:28 - Mar 3 with 1498 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:26 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

There's history. We nearly got killed in Swindon as well. Remember?

Yes - you daft twát, I do.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:29 - Mar 3 with 1492 viewsoldgrey

If. I remember we were saved by the Zulu army arriving from the station.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:33 - Mar 3 with 1481 viewsoldgrey

They (the Swans away fans) were a fearsome lot in those days.
I recollect that when the rescue party arrived they were wearing war paint.
I'm sure it was your fault we nearly died Phil.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:35 - Mar 3 with 1478 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:29 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

If. I remember we were saved by the Zulu army arriving from the station.

A dozen or so grunting headbangers stripped to the waist smeared in what looked like warpaint led the procession. The look on the Swindon mob's faces was priceless...

Not a prawn sandwich in sight. Happy days.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:42 - Mar 3 with 1471 viewsskettyparkherbert

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 09:58 - Mar 3 by epaul

Sent a shiver down my spine this. Heady days as a young lad watching the swans. Cant wait for the full film. A truer film than the last load o sh*te!

Fantastic days indeed, a true Swans legend.

He was giving Garry Neville a good kicking on talk sport today for his outburst live on sky when Man City beat the goners in the cup final.

He said that Gary Nev was a failure big time at management and he was so disrespectful for his comments about Wenger.

I think he more than has a point because Nevilles shit attempt at management at Valencia and with England in the Euros was poor but as a pundit it is so easy to criticise?

He said he should have gone down to the 4th tier to learn his trade like all the greats have back in the day.

Well said big John
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:46 - Mar 3 with 1460 viewsTNT

You've re-ignited some memories.

I got a train to Derby County on a Tuesday night, with a mate from West Cross. I'm sure we counted 39 away fans in our away end in The Baseball (we'd had a pint).

We won 0-1.

The only homeward-bound train to South Wales (we thought), after the game, terminated in Gloucester. We strayed from the station. My mate fell asleep on a large, busy roundabout, after we failed to hitch a lift to South Wales. I had the munchies and went to look for food. My mate woke up and thought,' The b*stard has deserted me, and hitched a lift home'.
I returned to the roundabout (about 2am by now) and thought, 'The b*stard has deserted me, and hitched a lift home.' I walked back to the train station, to find my mate asleep on a bench. We got the 6:00 a.m. train home.

[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 21:57]

Poll: Would you make goalposts bigger?

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:47 - Mar 3 with 1457 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:33 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

They (the Swans away fans) were a fearsome lot in those days.
I recollect that when the rescue party arrived they were wearing war paint.
I'm sure it was your fault we nearly died Phil.

I probably didn't help matters but your insistence on wearing colours wasn't the smartest...
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:48 - Mar 3 with 1453 viewsoldgrey

I've just mailed you 2 photos from the night we died part 1. The chesterfield game. Others in the pictures are bob hart and the late roy jones. rip.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:48 - Mar 3 with 1450 viewsFireboy2

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:42 - Mar 3 by skettyparkherbert

Fantastic days indeed, a true Swans legend.

He was giving Garry Neville a good kicking on talk sport today for his outburst live on sky when Man City beat the goners in the cup final.

He said that Gary Nev was a failure big time at management and he was so disrespectful for his comments about Wenger.

I think he more than has a point because Nevilles shit attempt at management at Valencia and with England in the Euros was poor but as a pundit it is so easy to criticise?

He said he should have gone down to the 4th tier to learn his trade like all the greats have back in the day.

Well said big John

Wish i had heard that

That cvnty gremlin lookalike put in his place

Cvnty cvnt faced cvnt
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:06 - Mar 3 with 1421 viewsWarwickHunt

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 21:48 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

I've just mailed you 2 photos from the night we died part 1. The chesterfield game. Others in the pictures are bob hart and the late roy jones. rip.

Ta!

Bob (and his mate Martin) nearly got us killed at Palace in the FA Cup replay - the mad wee Scottish bàstard thought three of us could take on a pub full of Palace. After somehow surviving that, he then confronted a dozen or so Palace fans outside a snooker hall on the way back to the station. A few more came out so we bombarded them with the glass contents of three "carry oots" Bob bought for the journey home.

Thankfully they obviously thought we were mentally unstable and fûcked off back inside and locked the doors.

We were very, very pished.

Christ...
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 22:09]
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:07 - Mar 3 with 1420 viewsTNT

I went to Brighton with another mate on a Tuesday night, we won 1-2. Got back to Swansea and started the long walk home (12 miles). Old bill stopped at about 4am, 'Alright boys?' 'Yeah, we've just been to Brighton to watch The Swans...any chance of a lift (about 4 miles to go)?'. Oh, ok then boys, tara...vroom.
In their defence, they were facing in the opposite direction... cnts.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:14 - Mar 3 with 1406 viewsTNT

Then there was the time I missed the coach to Colchester in The FA Cup. I got a train to Paddington, Tube across London. Train to Colchester. Taxi from the station to the ground. Saw us draw the game. Travelled home. Went to the replay at The Vetch...
...and lost.

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:19 - Mar 3 with 1401 viewsTNT

After having a kicking in The Chicken Run at West Ham, back in the day - a game we controversially lost - I'm so chuffed with today's result!

All the above were during the Toshack era, btw, just to stay on thread like.

Nos da.
[Post edited 3 Mar 2018 22:23]

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:49 - Mar 3 with 1384 viewsoldgrey

I was at that game - I recollect an FA cup game - and it was not a nice experience. The unsegregated toilet was interesting.
John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 23:11 - Mar 3 with 1370 viewsbarry_island

John Toshack - Walked into the Vetch 40 years ago today! on 22:49 - Mar 3 by oldgrey

I was at that game - I recollect an FA cup game - and it was not a nice experience. The unsegregated toilet was interesting.

Was that when the wall collapsed or was that the league game?

Swansea City, THE Austerity Club.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024