Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake 00:05 - Sep 26 with 4483 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

It’s that time again.

Before anyone gets shitty consider this gallows humour.

Here’s my guess:

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 19:26 - Sep 28 with 649 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 04:19 - Sep 28 by isawqpratwcity

Fair enough.

Even though the Blackpool game gave me the right steaming hump, I still wouldn't sack him. Stability for stability sake, I don't trust the club to find a replacement that will 'build' the club, and I can't see us going down anyway.
Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 00:16 - Sep 29 with 527 viewsisawqpratwcity

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 19:26 - Sep 28 by BazzaInTheLoft

Even though the Blackpool game gave me the right steaming hump, I still wouldn't sack him. Stability for stability sake, I don't trust the club to find a replacement that will 'build' the club, and I can't see us going down anyway.

Yeah, I do get the anger over the team selection for Blackpool. That was clearly a second-string side with a bench apparently randomly pulled from the phone book. It was a game that was both winnable and our best chance of extending a cup run in a long time. The prospect of the trophy was still ridiculously slim, but progress beyond that round sees much greater probability of seriously lucrative fixtures.

On the other hand, it was plum in the middle of a month of two-a-week games that doesn't finish until next Saturday.

Taking those factors into account, I would have to think that planning for the game was not just tactical, but a deep discussion of strategy and logistics as well, requiring the input of Ferdinand, Hoos and Bhatia, too. Doubtless McClaren would always have wanted to rest his best team, but I'd have to think that it was done with the grudging collective approval of senior management.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 00:46 - Sep 29 with 507 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 00:16 - Sep 29 by isawqpratwcity

Yeah, I do get the anger over the team selection for Blackpool. That was clearly a second-string side with a bench apparently randomly pulled from the phone book. It was a game that was both winnable and our best chance of extending a cup run in a long time. The prospect of the trophy was still ridiculously slim, but progress beyond that round sees much greater probability of seriously lucrative fixtures.

On the other hand, it was plum in the middle of a month of two-a-week games that doesn't finish until next Saturday.

Taking those factors into account, I would have to think that planning for the game was not just tactical, but a deep discussion of strategy and logistics as well, requiring the input of Ferdinand, Hoos and Bhatia, too. Doubtless McClaren would always have wanted to rest his best team, but I'd have to think that it was done with the grudging collective approval of senior management.

I understand the reasoning for playing second string players in the cup.

But....

He now needs to win v Swansea to justify that bullshit on Tuesday. That’s pressure he and the players don’t need. This month is tough anyway and I don’t think most fans are expecting a clean sweep. Might as well extend a cup run and maybe a fixture at Anfield or Stamford Bridge to distract from any poor league form. He’s looking over his shoulder now leading in this game when he didn’t have to.

Lastly, it’s just plain disrespectful to the hardcore who went.
Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 01:28 - Sep 29 with 502 viewsPunteR

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 00:16 - Sep 29 by isawqpratwcity

That last paragraph. Do you honestly think deep discussions and planning is actually happening ?
I dont.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 03:20 - Sep 29 with 486 viewsisawqpratwcity

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 01:28 - Sep 29 by PunteR

That last paragraph. Do you honestly think deep discussions and planning is actually happening ?
I dont.

Oh yes. Even as the new manager milking his honeymoon period for all it's worth, he'd still have to cover his back on that game with that team. Hoos and Bhatia would have been 100% wanting him to play to win. Bet my boots there would have been a fair amount of tough-talking back and forth.

As for general planning, well, I know what you're getting at. But that's us: it's what we do.

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 04:10 - Sep 29 with 480 viewsisawqpratwcity

Steve McClaren P45 Sweepstake on 00:46 - Sep 29 by BazzaInTheLoft

I understand the reasoning for playing second string players in the cup.

But....

He now needs to win v Swansea to justify that bullshit on Tuesday. That’s pressure he and the players don’t need. This month is tough anyway and I don’t think most fans are expecting a clean sweep. Might as well extend a cup run and maybe a fixture at Anfield or Stamford Bridge to distract from any poor league form. He’s looking over his shoulder now leading in this game when he didn’t have to.

Lastly, it’s just plain disrespectful to the hardcore who went.

I don't think he has to win but the aim is to be at least competitive and that's far from assured. There's no point in lengthening the odds with a tired team.

Even if he avoids relegation, this season McClaren will still be judged harshly if he finishes on the wrong side of 16th, and finishing in the fourth or fifth round of the League Cup will not be suitable mitigation, regardless of how grateful Hoos might be for a Spurs/Arsenal/Chelsea/City fixture.

And throwing cup games is awfully disrespectful to all fans that go, but it's still a very widespread practice.
[Post edited 29 Sep 2018 5:18]

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024