Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields 10:55 - Apr 17 with 6101 viewsFieryJack

https://images.app.goo.gl/eCp3HJtg87a2axx8A

https://images.app.goo.gl/wibEqZcAqACMqaUZ9

Huge respect and admiration for these people.

Coming to Brexit Britain to do the dirty, back-breaking work we're too useless to do ourselves.

Pikeypaul, I'm looking at you. Come June when all those strawberry farms close by you in Herefordshire are screaming out for labour to get the harvest in, I'll be expecting you to be first in the queue.

Think of it like this: you'll be a hero (in your own head) for doing your bit for the country, and all with the added bonus of stopping the possibility of plane loads of Bulgarians (the ones who normally do this sh*t job) from being flown into Bristol airport to help your local farmers out.

I won't hold my breath.

Anyone on here actually had experience of farm labouring?
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 14:05 - Apr 17 with 1180 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 13:17 - Apr 17 by Swanjaxs

Never mind fruit and veg, who the feck is going to wash our cars...

And check us into hotels?

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 14:09 - Apr 17 with 1174 viewsHighjack

And make our sandwiches in Pret?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 14:30 - Apr 17 with 1148 viewspencoedjack

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 12:28 - Apr 17 by chad

Spud picking in Pembroke, but done for money, not as a charitable act for those who could not be assed to pick their own

Who said they despised Romanians? (Or even Remainians)

Good on them glad they have come to help

I am unsure how not supporting a private members club, pushing for more and more globalisation and discussing empire building and even seen by some of its own remain supporting officials from the UK as clueless and impotent, translates to hating Romanians.

I think many can now see globalisation is a major problem. As the graffiti on that Hong Kong wall tells us about getting back to normal, normal was the problem.

We have better learned the importance of food availability. We need to become more self sufficient and balance our social and pay policies so we learn to pay a viable wage for people here to do this back breaking work, or automate better.

Personally for me now, I would suggest one of those little green garden stools that you can sit on and quickly drag along.

'o we learn to pay a viable wage for people here to do this back breaking work, or automate better.'

There are many people in this country who feel they don't have to work & happily sit idle (or in a working mans club) every day & it wouldn't change no matter what wage they were offered.

Normally their parents done the same.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:15 - Apr 17 with 1120 viewsBarrySwan

Yes I have a very short experience of farm labouring.

Whilst it might suit the agenda of bitter whining lefty remaniacs to accuse all and sundry who they disagree with as xenophobic foreigner hating racists, the truth of the matter is that I would have thought that very few people object to seasonal imported workers arriving during harvest time on temporary work permits if they fulfil posts that are vacant and remain only as long as the specific work vacancies outlined on such permits exist.

Here is my experience below and I've no doubt explains in some way why farm labouring in the fields is not the most popular of occupations to the majority of the British public. :-

Back in the eighties whilst living in Midlothian and self employed during a lean period an associate of mine introduced me to a guy who worked with others on collecting the crops in the Mid and East Lothian farming belt, he told me to meet up early the next morning where the so called gang masters contracted by the farmers would turn up in their minibuses and ferry whoever turned up to the farms.

Our particular task was to spread across the field behind a number of tractors which had big crates on the back, we were issued with a sharp knife and one of those cylindrical plastic tall linen / laundry baskets which we had to lug up the field with us as we bent down cut the stalks of the cauliflowers that we were harvesting ripped the leaves off and furiously sliced up the hearts into florets all whilst trying to keep up with the tractors when the basket was full we had to dash up to the tractors and empty the basket into the crate on the back before rejoining the line and starting again.

To say that it was the most frantic back breaking work that I have ever done would be the understatement of the century, after about 5 minutes I thought 'I'll never keep this up for an hour even'.

As workers fell behind the pace the gang masters or their sidekicks would dash over shouting and assist with their own knives until they had helped anyone lagging behind to catch up with the general line stretching along the field and then dash off to assist someone else get back into line.

I lasted until 2pm that afternoon when I developed tendonitis from the constant turning over of my wrist in grabbing the cauliflowers and twisting them when cutting the stem, the tendonitis resulted in a visit to the doctor and took weeks to heal up. On speaking to the other rugular harvest workers most of them rolled up their sleeves to reveal that they had heavy or elastic bandaging on their wrists having suffered the same injury but presumably being a lot tougher ( or more desperate for the money) than me struggling on through the pain.

The make up of the probably 35 to 40 people there was approx 30 odd topping up their dole money and the rest were a couple of students and one or two strappers such as myself making up the numbers. All payments made in cash by the gang masters who were paid by the farmer in the same manner.

I have no reason to believe that other areas of the country were harvested any differently so the wholesome image of the 'Darling buds of May' scenario of carefree cheerful Brits delivering the fields harvest couldn't have been further away from the reality that vast hordes of people on the dole were doing much of the work for cash for probably decades before the introduction of large numbers of foreign workers, yet I never see this mentioned by farmers, farmers unions representatives or officials from the department of Agriculture all of whom must be aware of what the previous situation was as in much of the Harvest was subsidised by the British taxpayer as it was ( and maybe still is) carried out by people in receipt of unemployment benefit topped up in cash indirectly from farmers operating on a no questions asked relationship with the gang masters.

No doubt this workforce has now rather ironically been undercut by Eastern Europeans prepared to work for even less.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 15:21]
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:26 - Apr 17 with 1096 viewsDrizzy

Fair play, Baz. Is there any job you haven't done?

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:33 - Apr 17 with 1080 viewsBarrySwan

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:26 - Apr 17 by Drizzy

Not really Its called paying your way and keeping a roof over your head, when times are lean in ones chosen job or profession most us cast around or take second jobs to be able to pay our way through life.

Which is why I have very little time for those who choose the drug or alcohol addled sponging off the rest of us way of life whilst complaining that the rest of us aren't supplying them with more free methadone, homes, money and ever expanding rehabilitation and health facilities.

Most people that I know thankfully are decent hardworking individuals who get up everyday to earn a living and contribute to the country, there will be inevitably be times when someone unfortunately loses their job through a factory or business shutdown and I'm sure that we all appreciate this and are glad that we can collectively through state benefits help support them in some way until they find other employment and get back on their feet just as we would appreciate the help of others if in a similar situation.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 15:35]
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:42 - Apr 17 with 1066 viewsmagicdaps10

Here here.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:44 - Apr 17 with 1052 viewsJackSomething

I stopped reading at 'bitter whining lefty remaniacs' as you know what you're going to get at that point.

You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help.

Login to get fewer ads

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:53 - Apr 17 with 1042 viewschad

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 13:30 - Apr 17 by FieryJack

Spud picking in Pembroke? Respect to you for that.

In my working life I've only once walked out on a job.

I say "walked" but it was more like limped. Yes, limped out of the field, dazed and defeated, utterly fuc*.

Managed just one 8 hour shift, picking spuds near Penmaen, Gower. When my bags were weighed in I earned a paltry £9. This was over 30 years ago.

Never went back the next day. Just couldn't hack it. The muscles in the back of my legs, shoulders and lower back were screaming in agony.

Took boiling hot radox salt baths for a week and a half but was still walking about like an arthritic Charlie Chaplin

Ha ha now you are embarrassing me, I didn’t say I was a regular at it or very effective, and I certainly recognise the arthritic Charlie Chaplin walk.

To be honest went for fun with the rest of the family many, many years ago, they used to pick us up on the lorry. However have to say my mum who was 38 years older than me was amazing at it, now that woman had true grit.

Have to say in general life have certainly met some excellent Eastern European workers, bright dedicated and very professional with bags of go and common sense. Certainly some of our workers could learn a thing or two from them. But there are all types in all societies and some just want it more and I suppose many who come over here to work by their very definition have get up and go.

Just so you don’t lose total respect for me I did do pick your own on Gower a few years back ;)
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:03 - Apr 17 with 1032 viewsBarrySwan

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:44 - Apr 17 by JackSomething

I stopped reading at 'bitter whining lefty remaniacs' as you know what you're going to get at that point.

Maybe you do maybe you don't.

But as the OP couldn't contain himself in his opening comments I don't see why others should restrict themselves either in their response.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:07 - Apr 17 with 1022 viewsTenbySwan

Very ironic that the Brexit championing Daily Fail.and the Current Bun should be welcoming these 'critically important' workers.tiday.

On a relatively serious note my sister told me today that she is stocking up.on tins as she thinks food is going to be in very short supply and expensive by the Autumn 😲
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:17 - Apr 17 with 1008 viewsWarwickHunt

Rocket scientist, brain surgeon.

Just a guess like.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:26 - Apr 17 with 995 viewsBarrySwan

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:17 - Apr 17 by WarwickHunt

Rocket scientist, brain surgeon.

Just a guess like.

Nope just an ordinary working class guy working his way through life.

You know. The type that the Labour Party despise.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:27 - Apr 17 with 992 viewslondonlisa2001

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:33 - Apr 17 by BarrySwan

Not really Its called paying your way and keeping a roof over your head, when times are lean in ones chosen job or profession most us cast around or take second jobs to be able to pay our way through life.

Which is why I have very little time for those who choose the drug or alcohol addled sponging off the rest of us way of life whilst complaining that the rest of us aren't supplying them with more free methadone, homes, money and ever expanding rehabilitation and health facilities.

Most people that I know thankfully are decent hardworking individuals who get up everyday to earn a living and contribute to the country, there will be inevitably be times when someone unfortunately loses their job through a factory or business shutdown and I'm sure that we all appreciate this and are glad that we can collectively through state benefits help support them in some way until they find other employment and get back on their feet just as we would appreciate the help of others if in a similar situation.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 15:35]

“ Not really Its called paying your way and keeping a roof over your head, when times are lean in ones chosen job or profession most us cast around or take second jobs to be able to pay our way through life. ”

You only did it for 5 hours mun before it hurt and you stopped.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:39 - Apr 17 with 971 viewsBarrySwan

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:27 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

“ Not really Its called paying your way and keeping a roof over your head, when times are lean in ones chosen job or profession most us cast around or take second jobs to be able to pay our way through life. ”

You only did it for 5 hours mun before it hurt and you stopped.

6 actually we started at 8am. Although to be fair there was a half hour lunch break so better make it 5 and a half

Many of us self employed over the years have turned to many other temporary employments when work is short to keep a roof over our heads, as a gas engineer for the majority of my working life the Summer always takes a significant turndown in trade as people shut down their heating for the Summer months.

Even British Gas restructered their weekly working hours for their engineers in the Summer to account for this some years ago whether they still do I've no idea. I'm sure that there are many other businesses and trades that have to a differing degree similar seasonal highs and lows.

So like others I have briefly taken on other unrelated work to tide over until the winter months return or when Summer business was better anyway.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:45 - Apr 17 with 964 viewslondonlisa2001

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:39 - Apr 17 by BarrySwan

6 actually we started at 8am. Although to be fair there was a half hour lunch break so better make it 5 and a half

Many of us self employed over the years have turned to many other temporary employments when work is short to keep a roof over our heads, as a gas engineer for the majority of my working life the Summer always takes a significant turndown in trade as people shut down their heating for the Summer months.

Even British Gas restructered their weekly working hours for their engineers in the Summer to account for this some years ago whether they still do I've no idea. I'm sure that there are many other businesses and trades that have to a differing degree similar seasonal highs and lows.

So like others I have briefly taken on other unrelated work to tide over until the winter months return or when Summer business was better anyway.

“ 6 actually we started at 8am. Although to be fair there was a half hour lunch break so better make it 5 and a half ”

In the eighties, you got what, £2 an hour? So you made £10 or £12 ?

Hard work in all seriousness, I had a bunch of friends that did the swedes one year. Nightmare apparently. I managed to avoid it by working in Smiths Crisps packing Monster Munch bags into multi packs.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:49 - Apr 17 with 958 viewsFieryJack

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 15:53 - Apr 17 by chad

Ha ha now you are embarrassing me, I didn’t say I was a regular at it or very effective, and I certainly recognise the arthritic Charlie Chaplin walk.

To be honest went for fun with the rest of the family many, many years ago, they used to pick us up on the lorry. However have to say my mum who was 38 years older than me was amazing at it, now that woman had true grit.

Have to say in general life have certainly met some excellent Eastern European workers, bright dedicated and very professional with bags of go and common sense. Certainly some of our workers could learn a thing or two from them. But there are all types in all societies and some just want it more and I suppose many who come over here to work by their very definition have get up and go.

Just so you don’t lose total respect for me I did do pick your own on Gower a few years back ;)

Could do with more people like your mum about the place by the sound of it 👍
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:59 - Apr 17 with 943 viewsBarrySwan

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:45 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

“ 6 actually we started at 8am. Although to be fair there was a half hour lunch break so better make it 5 and a half ”

In the eighties, you got what, £2 an hour? So you made £10 or £12 ?

Hard work in all seriousness, I had a bunch of friends that did the swedes one year. Nightmare apparently. I managed to avoid it by working in Smiths Crisps packing Monster Munch bags into multi packs.

I seem to recall it was about £30 for the day I think the guy gave me £25 as I sat around wounded whilst the rest finished the day before we were driven back to the dropping off point
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:03 - Apr 17 with 940 viewsWarwickHunt

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:26 - Apr 17 by BarrySwan

Nope just an ordinary working class guy working his way through life.

You know. The type that the Labour Party despise.

A working class hero! 😂

Fûck me, sunshine - this is a Swansea football forum not Debrett’s. Cock.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:03 - Apr 17 with 940 viewsFieryJack

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 16:03 - Apr 17 by BarrySwan

Maybe you do maybe you don't.

But as the OP couldn't contain himself in his opening comments I don't see why others should restrict themselves either in their response.

Fair play, Barry, and ten out of ten for fighting your corner.

Not got a problem with that, even though it was aimed at me.

And a great story about your cauli-picking days.

The only thing that let your first post down was the second paragraph. Basically translates as: Romanians are very welcome here as long as we need them, as long as it's temporary and as long as they eff off when we no longer need them.

Utterly charmless and mean-spirited. Zero out of ten for that.

You must have had a very hard life, I reckon.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:05 - Apr 17 with 928 viewslondonlisa2001

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:03 - Apr 17 by FieryJack

Fair play, Barry, and ten out of ten for fighting your corner.

Not got a problem with that, even though it was aimed at me.

And a great story about your cauli-picking days.

The only thing that let your first post down was the second paragraph. Basically translates as: Romanians are very welcome here as long as we need them, as long as it's temporary and as long as they eff off when we no longer need them.

Utterly charmless and mean-spirited. Zero out of ten for that.

You must have had a very hard life, I reckon.

“ And a great story about your cauli-picking days.”

Hours...
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:09 - Apr 17 with 923 viewsDarran

Wouldn’t people have already been here to pick fruit anyway if it hadn’t have been for flights cancelled due to covid?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 17:11]

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:16 - Apr 17 with 901 viewsFieryJack

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:05 - Apr 17 by londonlisa2001

“ And a great story about your cauli-picking days.”

Hours...

😊 I can't berate Barry for that, Lisa.

In my earlier post you'll note I only managed 8 hours myself, before jacking it in for good.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:17 - Apr 17 with 898 viewsFieryJack

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:09 - Apr 17 by Darran

Wouldn’t people have already been here to pick fruit anyway if it hadn’t have been for flights cancelled due to covid?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2020 17:11]

Probably.
Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:33 - Apr 17 with 884 viewslondonlisa2001

Despised Romanians Return to English Fields on 17:16 - Apr 17 by FieryJack

😊 I can't berate Barry for that, Lisa.

In my earlier post you'll note I only managed 8 hours myself, before jacking it in for good.

That’s 60% longer than Barry lasted...
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024