Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
First game in a while - hmmm. 00:49 - Feb 15 with 926 viewsOakR

So I've not been to a game since before Christmas. Some things that struck:

1. Ethan Laird. I'm not sure if this was a one-off, if he's under the weather but a shocking transformation from a full on attacking full back to someone more interested in going backwards. Delighted Kakay came on the replace him at half-time, the difference in commitment and intent was striking.

2. Shape / formation / team selection / movement.

I didn't understand what we were attempting. We had Dozzell (who I like) picking up the ball at the back Ray Wilking style. This was great apart from the fact there was virtually no movement in front of him.

We decided Field was best placed out wide on the right of midfield - as an attempt to starve Martin of service this worked beautifully.

The team as a whole just seemed lethargic, and part of me wonders if this was down to selection / tactics.

3. Subs.

As I said I thought taking off Laird at HT was much needed. It was almost criminal to wait til 75 minutes to make any further changes though. If we want crosses into Martin why was Adomah not on and filed moved infield where we were overun anyway, taking Tim off who has also gone way off the boil.

4. Rub of the green.

We deserved to lose, make no bones about it...but we gifted them the first and missed a great chance for an equaliser. When it's not going for you, it's not going for you.

5. Possession football

I don't mind possession football and passing it backwards if passing it forwards means you will lose it.

However, passing it out to a centre back, who then passes it to the left back / right back, who then passes it back to the centre back, to the other centre back, to the other left back / right back is not only beyond dull leading to no atmosphere, but gets you nowhere. We need to drive it forward, and faster. It was so slow at times.

Overall a thoroughly deflating experience, devoid of any real excitement or hope. Some players are clearly lacking confidence, I just can't believe where we are now compared to where we were just a few months ago.

Poll: Will we stay up?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024