Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Sad but True 12:51 - Jun 10 with 5536 viewsgarrycoady

If you have time to listen to the following 2 Podcasts it gives you a great insight into where we have and are going wrong ..... Sad But True

Everyone has an opinion on our CEO & DOF, have a listen to some insights into Brighton & Brentford .

2010 - 2011 Season
QPR - Championship - WINNER
Brighton - League 1 - WINNER - Last Season in Withdean Stadium
Brentford - League 1 - 11th Place - Griffin Park
Luton - National League - 3rd Place - Lost Playoff Final

https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.com/podcast/paulbarber
E193: Paul Barber, Chief Executive Officer of Brighton

https://www.thehighperformancepodcast.com/podcast/philgiles
E188: Phil Giles, Director of Football - Brentford FC

2022 - 2023 Season
QPR - Championship - 20th
Brighton - Premier League - 6th Place - Qualified for Europe
Brentford - Premier League - 9th Place
Luton - Championship - 3rd Place - Playoff Winners

@weareqpr

Sad but True on 17:50 - Jun 12 with 806 viewsdaveB

Circumstances play a big part in the whole bad egg thing and senior players are absolutely key.

Adel the prime example.
In some of his time with us when team was crap seen as the bad egg when things going well seen as the superstar, most of his team mates spoken of him since all say he wasn't a bad guy and loved his football but the environment at QPR, the different managers brought different problems. Joey barton was one of the senior pros back then and speaks in his book of trying to injure Adel in training as he didn't like the way he acted. Great example to set. You had Redknapp not wanting to deal with him but under Hughes and Warnock he played his best football, same player and person.

The squad we had last year I wouldn't say we signed many trouble makers but when things went wrong we didn't have enough people in that dressing room to get everyone onside and working together, get the senior pros right and have a good culture at the club and things tend to go better.

That is key this summer getting that balance right.
Sad but True on 12:26 - Jun 13 with 612 viewsjoe90

Interesting listening.

My take is that the key to success in Brighton and Brentford's case has been how they've dealt with failure and 'unexpected challenges'.

Most relevant to us, Giles talks about considering factors that could have contributed to a teams/managers poor performance.

Considering Warb's recent comments, if they're to be believed, doesn't sound like any of that was taken into consideration when he left. But then, we never know for sure what exactly is going on behind closed doors. A lot speculation from which we draw conclusions.

I actually don't think we're far off from 'turning a corner' in terms of success. The training ground is going to be massive for us. It leads into many of the points raised in both podcasts. Professionalism off the pitch is what brings success on the pitch and you need an environment you can do that in. Another point Gile's raises is about making small changes around the training ground so that there's a sense of things not staying the same, for small details like that a new training ground will help us embed good practices.

With regards to finding the right characters you can start with the very basics, how polite are they? How do they engage with other members of staff like the person doing their laundry, or the canteen staff etc. Things like the team building Haka will help you see how someone reacts to doing a seemingly pointless exercise. Do they throw themselves into it or wait for others to take the lead? Do they encourage their team mates to join in or do they sit back and laugh? You start to build up a picture of what they might be like if you've lost three games in a row or if they're asked to play in different position or don't start a game for tactical reasons etc. It's not an exact science, but just because someone isn't shouting doesn't mean they don't care and sometimes you need a player who'll put their arm around someone who's struggling and other times you need someone who'll go full Sitton.

I think both Barber and Giles point out, everyone in the club has to be pulling in the same direction. Sadly, it seems that's our biggest downfall.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2023 19:03]
Sad but True on 14:12 - Jun 13 with 516 viewsswitchingcode

Having watched Brentford’s rise over the last 12 or so years as a fan it’s far from a smooth seamless journey.Selling your best players every season and nearly always your top goal scorer can be hard to swallow and come under the banner of “club lacks ambition”Also losing your managers along the way like Rosler and Dean smith to bigger clubs has to be addressed and replacements need to be able to pick up where previous managers left us.Both these issues can take time to get club back on track and patience is needed from fans during these periods that is not given by many.I remember fans singing “sacked in the morning “to Thomas Frank when being 2 0 down at home to Millwall during his first games in charge where he had no wins in 8 and there was no hint of his job being on the line from the management.
As with most things in life luck also plays a big part especially when signing players despite our much lauded recruitment.When searching in the lower leagues and abroad you never hear much about the ones who failed and there are plenty so it’s quite a big churn of players.
The big target of getting to the Premier League is a great achievement for small clubs like Brentford and Luton and many others and staying there even greater.For me it’s all about the money and every season to stay there as there is no way small clubs will break into the top 6 so it’s all a bit pointless.Whereas in the championship most teams have a chance of at least play offs when the season starts that’s why I still think it’s the best league to be in that’s why I won’t shed any tears when we eventually go back there.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024