Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s 12:43 - Oct 27 with 1797 viewsMrSheen

There's a family story about an uncle working underground on sewer maintenance in the late 60s when there was a collapse and he and another worker were trapped underground - he survived, his mate was killed. All the people I could ask are long dead, but does anyone here remember anything about it? It might not have happened, at least as recorded!
Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 13:07 - Oct 27 with 1717 viewsParkRoyalR

Usual point of reference required Mr Sheen, which county is your Uncle from (and his workmate if known?)
Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 14:03 - Oct 27 with 1616 viewsNewBee

Re the OP, can't help myself, but maybe you could get in touch with this bloke, Richard Gregory, who has a fabulous alternative history website for Shepherd's Bush (apologies if this link features elsewhere on the forum):
https://www.richardgregory.org.uk/history/shepherds-bush-history.htm
Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 14:20 - Oct 27 with 1575 viewsMrSheen

Found it, or rather my daughter did. June 1968, under Askew Road. A poor man called Tommy Fitzpatrick died. My uncle went back to Ireland to farm and later had a pub in Tallow in Waterford.
Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 14:51 - Oct 27 with 1503 viewsBoston

Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 14:20 - Oct 27 by MrSheen

Found it, or rather my daughter did. June 1968, under Askew Road. A poor man called Tommy Fitzpatrick died. My uncle went back to Ireland to farm and later had a pub in Tallow in Waterford.

Tallow - the time I bumped into Mick McCarthy in Waterford City, that was where he told me his family came from.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 23:43 - Oct 27 with 1189 viewsMrSheen

Askew Road/Goldhawk Road sewer collapse late 1960s on 14:51 - Oct 27 by Boston

Tallow - the time I bumped into Mick McCarthy in Waterford City, that was where he told me his family came from.

They had a big party for him there when he became Ireland’s manager, I don’t think he’d ever been before. His dad left as a teenager.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024