Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The end of Welsh pubs 13:37 - Dec 19 with 5898 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-67748243
The end of Welsh pubs on 20:10 - Dec 27 with 488 viewsDr_Winston

Mrs. Winston and I are planning semi-retirement in West Wales. One of the main things we want wherever we end up is a good local.

I've got more experience of the industry than most commenting on the subject and a good local pub is far more than just somewhere to get pissed as Perchy would have us believe.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The end of Welsh pubs on 20:41 - Dec 27 with 472 viewsonehunglow

NB.
Thread on Puritanism available to offer objective observations

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The end of Welsh pubs on 20:52 - Dec 27 with 470 viewsDr_Winston

The end of Welsh pubs on 13:29 - Dec 26 by lifelong

The days of drink only pubs have been numbered for quite a few years, the only ones that seem to be flourishing are those serving food and good food at that.

It mostly comes down to tax.

The profit margins on dry sales (food etc) are far larger than those on wet sales largely due to duty, so a pub that has a good trade in both stands a better chance of surviving in the long term than one that relies just on the booze.

It can be done. For a good few years my mum made a living in the game just on basically 90-95% wet sales, but it's tremendously hard work. If all people are interested in is getting pissed then for a tenner in Tesco they could achieve the same outcome as spending £30 in their local. Yet another example why the weird obsession with pubs as dens of sin is idiotic.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The end of Welsh pubs on 01:36 - Dec 28 with 427 viewsRobbie

The Pub / Grub market , Weatherspoons have it nailed on .

Up in Gog Land last year , had a B+B booking and is evening meal an option I ask .

Not worth it was the reply , place down the road , Spoons will make my efforts not worth hiring chief , waitress , pot washer and bar staff , will not try to compete with them .

Had builders in recently , water and electric was isolated , I was booted out of my own home and visited a local Spoons for breakfast .
No complaints , food was fine , prompt and the tables were clean , endless free coffee too .

Small business owners must be really up against that pulling power of them offers .

Just to add , following day did go for breakfast in a local cafe , guilt trip I suppose .
The end of Welsh pubs on 09:59 - Dec 28 with 384 viewsonehunglow

The end of Welsh pubs on 20:10 - Dec 27 by Dr_Winston

Mrs. Winston and I are planning semi-retirement in West Wales. One of the main things we want wherever we end up is a good local.

I've got more experience of the industry than most commenting on the subject and a good local pub is far more than just somewhere to get pissed as Perchy would have us believe.

Perch is dead ,Jamie

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024