Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dead Ball Situations 09:39 - Nov 27 with 1201 viewsahoz

It concerns me that we just don't make hardly anything of our dead ball opportunities. Over here in Oz, Adelaide has a player (Vidosic) who can score from free kicks, create havoc with his corners (especially from the left) and whose throw-ins reach the penalty area. Don't snigger cos its the A-League, a dead ball is the same in any competition. Why can't we have players that do the same?
Dead Ball Situations on 10:13 - Nov 27 with 1184 viewsfakekerby

I don't think we've been deadly from set pieces since the days of Shittu/Carlisle in League One.
Dead Ball Situations on 10:21 - Nov 27 with 1177 viewshoopstilidie

Granero has at least looked promising from free kicks and Taarabt is no slouch as we know.
I'd be tempted to let Diakite unleash the odd piledriver too.

As for corners I think it's less about delivery and more about attacking positioning, we just rarely seem to get it remotely right.

Ringo Starr ate my hamper.
Poll: Yes or no?

Dead Ball Situations on 10:54 - Nov 27 with 1164 viewsN12Hoop

Anyone remember Arsenal in the days of George Graham. Corners to near post, Donkey Adams flick on and then Smith, Bould etc heading home. They scored so many from such a simple set piece: everyone knew what was coming but it was so hard to defend against. I find it astonishing that we don't seem to have any set plays from any position and haven't had for years (other than the kick it out for a throw on when we kick-off!)

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Dead Ball Situations on 11:04 - Nov 27 with 1155 viewsAntti_Heinola

It still amazes me that people don't see the correlation between our offensive and defensive set pieces.

We blame organisation, man marking, zonal marking etc etc. The fact is, we don't have, and haven't had for some time, as someone alludes to above, players that simply attack the ball. Nelsen a bit and Hill a bit. But no one in the mould of Shawcross or Rio Ferdinand or Distin or whoever to actually attack the ball. Our deliveries, especially this season, have been pretty good overall - I've watched loads of decent balls whipped in, but no one ever attacks them. That's what it's all about. You can mark as well as you want, but if you don't attack the ball you'll concede goals every time.

Bare bones.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024