Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Another article in the Ob 13:30 - Dec 11 with 3809 viewsTTNYear

That you may miss due to all the kerfuffle from Sunday... Its CD talking about the recession hitting crowds.

Points raised

* Hill's shadow looms over the club still 'We had a similar scenario with Steve Parkin. Everyone after him was compared with him'

* Recession is hitting crowds. No money in Rochdale 'When people are tightening purse strings and things have to go, your football is one of the first things to make way'

* 'We had a gate on Satdurday of 1,700, its coming up to Christmas, and unfortunately it is the sign of the times'....'That said if we were top mof the league I doubt whether there would be another 300 coming through the door. We were challenging for promotion out of league one in 2011 and we were still only loking at gates of 2,300'.... not sure about that Chris tbf

* He talks about the sales of Dawson and Buckley being key to us being able to compete in the division, and if we hadnt been for the fact that we have sold these players we would be running on empty.

Make of that what you will

Anti-cliquism is the last refuge of the messageboard scoundrel - Copyright Dorset Dale productions

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 23:18 - Dec 11 with 995 viewsDoris

Another article in the Ob on 16:48 - Dec 11 by BigDaveMyCock

Hey, that's nowt. You don't know the bloody half of it.

It used to be my club this. I remember in 1971 when the Pearl Street stand collapsed and I held it up so the game would continue. Just me, with an entire stand on my back. I was only four months old, but you did it for the club. As thanks, the Chairman gave me a bloomin good leathering. You don't get that personal touch these days

It used to be a community club this. I remember when my Gran came once and she ended up playing right-back for half a season. Made the club 4 groats when she was transferred to Leigh Pottage Makers.

Felatio, they've stopped that at half time now.

I tell you what, I used to bring 2,400 dwarves to every game. You couldn't see them behind the seats, but they were there. Not any more, no suree.

I remember when I glued myself to the louvre in Paris once to try and raise money for the club. I would have done as well if I would got some sponsorship.

But mostly it was the football. All them re-elections. Glorious. Having something to be genuinely fooking miserable about.

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 10:56 - Dec 12 with 931 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 23:18 - Dec 11 by Doris

[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

For some reason your response has not appeared.

Never mind, I expect you wanted to write something like this:-

'That was a superb post Mr Mycock and went some way to pricking the bubble of self-importance that surrounds me, that is, that my not going represents the club in some sort of crisis or my threat to not go should prompt the board into sacking a manager.

If I don't go, then that's my choice. However, it really makes no sense for me to pursue the sacking of manager and then say that it's not the manager's fault. Looking at it objectively, we are not in a bad position. Also, although the board are a long way from perfect, we've not financially suffered like many of our neighbours.

Anyway, I'm going to go a week on Friday because watching the footy is only part of the experience. I'm going to have a giggle with my mates/family no matter what pre, during and post match.'

Thanks Mr Mycock - you're great (probably pushing it a bit here). Merry Christmas and good will to all men. Especially you Mr Coleman - you're great as well (definately pushing it now).

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 11:58 - Dec 12 with 882 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 10:56 - Dec 12 by BigDaveMyCock

For some reason your response has not appeared.

Never mind, I expect you wanted to write something like this:-

'That was a superb post Mr Mycock and went some way to pricking the bubble of self-importance that surrounds me, that is, that my not going represents the club in some sort of crisis or my threat to not go should prompt the board into sacking a manager.

If I don't go, then that's my choice. However, it really makes no sense for me to pursue the sacking of manager and then say that it's not the manager's fault. Looking at it objectively, we are not in a bad position. Also, although the board are a long way from perfect, we've not financially suffered like many of our neighbours.

Anyway, I'm going to go a week on Friday because watching the footy is only part of the experience. I'm going to have a giggle with my mates/family no matter what pre, during and post match.'

Thanks Mr Mycock - you're great (probably pushing it a bit here). Merry Christmas and good will to all men. Especially you Mr Coleman - you're great as well (definately pushing it now).

Quite an amusing reply Mr Mycock - I am sure that is what he said :)

In fairness much as though I respect your loyalty to the club, I am sure you have been going for years and have helped out as many of us has, it does not disguise the fact that supporters are stopping going!

I have mentioned a few reasons why this may be, and whilst your rhetoric and somewhat belittling response, on another thread, to these reasons could be questioned, you have your opinion, but then so do many others.

There are a lot of fans who have reasons why they have stopped going, loyal fans who were no doubt at Torquay on a tuesday night, Swansea midweek, Carlisle in the middle of winter, have stopped going.

You have your right to put your head in the sand and say "Sod them" but your £20 is no better than anyone elses, and if a large number of fans have stopped going, there is generally a reason for this.

There are far more people on here being critical of the current situation than are defending it, if you think things are fine, thats your opinion. Still, when we have crowds of under 1500 fans, just think how much more supportive and impotant you will feel and how much more of a loyal fan you are!!!

Some posts are downright critical for no reason, others are constructive to the point where the club have made contact with posters. Personally I dont think Coleman should go yet, unless the Dubai thing was behind the boards back, which they clearly state it was not. Personally I feel that C.D. should be having a serious word about his professionalism and his media handling and his overall conduct and give him the chance to amend certain area's of the above.

We have seen worse football on the pitch numerous times in the past no doubt, but that never really stopped the regulars coming through the gate. Something at the moment clearly is!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 13:23 - Dec 12 with 838 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 11:58 - Dec 12 by Thacks_Rabbits

Quite an amusing reply Mr Mycock - I am sure that is what he said :)

In fairness much as though I respect your loyalty to the club, I am sure you have been going for years and have helped out as many of us has, it does not disguise the fact that supporters are stopping going!

I have mentioned a few reasons why this may be, and whilst your rhetoric and somewhat belittling response, on another thread, to these reasons could be questioned, you have your opinion, but then so do many others.

There are a lot of fans who have reasons why they have stopped going, loyal fans who were no doubt at Torquay on a tuesday night, Swansea midweek, Carlisle in the middle of winter, have stopped going.

You have your right to put your head in the sand and say "Sod them" but your £20 is no better than anyone elses, and if a large number of fans have stopped going, there is generally a reason for this.

There are far more people on here being critical of the current situation than are defending it, if you think things are fine, thats your opinion. Still, when we have crowds of under 1500 fans, just think how much more supportive and impotant you will feel and how much more of a loyal fan you are!!!

Some posts are downright critical for no reason, others are constructive to the point where the club have made contact with posters. Personally I dont think Coleman should go yet, unless the Dubai thing was behind the boards back, which they clearly state it was not. Personally I feel that C.D. should be having a serious word about his professionalism and his media handling and his overall conduct and give him the chance to amend certain area's of the above.

We have seen worse football on the pitch numerous times in the past no doubt, but that never really stopped the regulars coming through the gate. Something at the moment clearly is!

All points well made and taken.

Certainly don't mean to be belittling and sincerely apologise if that's the way it comes across.

The point I'm trying to make is that negativity feeds on itself and before you know it you get sentiments like 'I don't care what happens, I'm not coming back' (not your words) or 'this is the worse Dale side I've ever seen'. There is not an awful lot to say to that is there? However, you naturally want them to attend. Other than begging them, all you can do is try and cajole these people out of their negativity, whether it is by trying (and probably failing) to be a bit witty or reminding them that it really isn't that bad. (As the great Glenn Tilbrook once sang 'begging ain't my business'). Trying to break through a bit of the negativity.

I haven't enjoyed much of the football recently and have left early, but I do enjoy the company of the people I go with and the people I stand with. All in all, that makes it worth attending for me - despite how bad the football may be. There are many aspects to enjoying a game and some of it comes from within - if you know what I mean? It's the easiest thing in the world to expect to have a good time and blame the 'powers that be' when you don't. Every football team has fans at odds with their 'powers that be'.

Football teams go through peaks and troughs, despite how good or bad their 'powers that be' are. At the end of the day, however, we need the club to exist and the best way to ensure that is by attending when you can.

Relatively speaking, our 'powers that be' are not that bad and we shouldn't expect them to do everything.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 15:16 - Dec 12 with 791 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Another article in the Ob (n/t) on 13:23 - Dec 12 by BigDaveMyCock

All points well made and taken.

Certainly don't mean to be belittling and sincerely apologise if that's the way it comes across.

The point I'm trying to make is that negativity feeds on itself and before you know it you get sentiments like 'I don't care what happens, I'm not coming back' (not your words) or 'this is the worse Dale side I've ever seen'. There is not an awful lot to say to that is there? However, you naturally want them to attend. Other than begging them, all you can do is try and cajole these people out of their negativity, whether it is by trying (and probably failing) to be a bit witty or reminding them that it really isn't that bad. (As the great Glenn Tilbrook once sang 'begging ain't my business'). Trying to break through a bit of the negativity.

I haven't enjoyed much of the football recently and have left early, but I do enjoy the company of the people I go with and the people I stand with. All in all, that makes it worth attending for me - despite how bad the football may be. There are many aspects to enjoying a game and some of it comes from within - if you know what I mean? It's the easiest thing in the world to expect to have a good time and blame the 'powers that be' when you don't. Every football team has fans at odds with their 'powers that be'.

Football teams go through peaks and troughs, despite how good or bad their 'powers that be' are. At the end of the day, however, we need the club to exist and the best way to ensure that is by attending when you can.

Relatively speaking, our 'powers that be' are not that bad and we shouldn't expect them to do everything.

No problem Mr Mycock - I agree with your passion and no offence taken.

Could have at least had a TazCorn moment first though :)

I agree with your sentiments and that there is more to the day than just the football, I loved the times when we were downright lousy in the 80's when we had no expectations, but the guarentee of a great pie, peas and gravy and bovril, pea's and vinegar.

We imporved on and off the pitch and are no longer just survivors but a professional little club that has performed well. IMHO this started under Suttons era, coupled with the good work off the field by Les and Steve, this led to the club becoming an ambitious little outfit.

This continued and the ground and professionalism of the club is way beyond that that it once was, and as such I think expectations have gone up no end, certainly part of the reason for the current discontent, and in part why crowds may be dropping.

Back in 94 our average attendance was 2,800, with the lowest crowd being just over 1800 vs Scarborough, though we did have preston, Bury, Crewe, Chester, Wigan, Chesterfield, Doncaster and Mansfield in our league then (was reading the Bury away program earlier - not a Tazbot statistical genius!!) - and this did coincide with the club improving on and off the pitch - only 1 of these clubs is now in this division which is also a strange stat - bearing in mind some have gone very good and others very bad!!!

I do think that the club could be improved off the pitch, particularly in the Media and P.R. and also in the commercial activities, but this would involve additional costs but may be that the club are already doing this behind the scenes. More transparancy may also be useful to stop the rumours of the likes of M.S.

We are mid table, up until a month ago we were in play off positions, the performances may be poor currently but we are in a reasonable position. Maybe we are a victim of our own success and expectations.

Lets just hope that performances on the field improve and that some of what has been said on here has been taken notice of. I guess sometimes passion can be taken as negativity... - in some cases!!!!

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

Another article in the Ob on 22:19 - Dec 12 with 721 viewsNewMilne

Recession. The easiest excuse to use. If CD's other business interests are being affected is he just sitting there saying "never mind, its the recession". Of course not. He will/would be pulling out all the stopps to make ends meet. Got to wonder what the difference is haven't you.
Another article in the Ob on 22:21 - Dec 12 with 715 viewsD_Alien

Another article in the Ob on 22:19 - Dec 12 by NewMilne

Recession. The easiest excuse to use. If CD's other business interests are being affected is he just sitting there saying "never mind, its the recession". Of course not. He will/would be pulling out all the stopps to make ends meet. Got to wonder what the difference is haven't you.

he's probably got some organ stopps to pull out?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Another article in the Ob on 22:25 - Dec 12 with 704 viewsNewMilne

Another article in the Ob on 22:21 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

he's probably got some organ stopps to pull out?

Yep. Had to look it up to make sure it had two p's.
Login to get fewer ads

Another article in the Ob on 22:28 - Dec 12 with 699 viewsD_Alien

Another article in the Ob on 22:25 - Dec 12 by NewMilne

Yep. Had to look it up to make sure it had two p's.

But where Dale are concerned, we haven't got two p's to rub together?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Another article in the Ob on 00:34 - Dec 13 with 656 viewsLondondale

Another article in the Ob on 22:28 - Dec 12 by D_Alien

But where Dale are concerned, we haven't got two p's to rub together?

This is possibly the last straw as far as I'm concerned with Dunphy. Quite how he's been successful as a businessman astounds me reading these comments - get a grip man, the club is haemorrhaging money as a result of the lack of investment when the times were good. Now mid table in league 2 is good enough. Why? Because you appointed a useless cretin with no managerial experience and sold all of our assets while the sun was shining. 1500 gates at home is good enough 'because there is a recession'. have you seen how many fans other clubs are pulling in Mr. Dunphy? Stop making pitiful excuses for appalling results. I rarely get irate over these things, especially as I used to think Dunphy was a voice of reason. Bollocks to that if this is the disdain with which he treats fellow fans. It's now painfully obvious to me that the man got lucky with Hill and has f*cked up the rest, starting with overlooking Flicker as a replacement for Eyre. Hindsight is a wonderful thing in business, but so is good business sense.
Another article in the Ob on 09:33 - Dec 13 with 608 viewsjudd

Perhaps the most successful businesses during the recession have been the Poundlands and their ilk.

Their customers do not restrict themselves to slamming one quid and one quid only on each visit.Not everything bought is an immediate necessity. Some purchases, even at those prices, could be deemed "luxury".

You've got to look around and see what is working elsewhere.

I did a loss leader in April (at a cost of £200) on the promise of additional work. It came good in the form of a £15k order in September, with follow on work each month since and into the New Year.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Another article in the Ob on 10:53 - Dec 13 with 580 viewsMAlert

I have absolutely no faith in Chris Dunphy, he is a clown. He is incapable of making a demanding decision. He faultered on sacking Parking the day he took over after us nearly getting relegated. He fell on Hill luckily, then when he went said he had some quality managers lined up for interview, I dare not ask who they were , since he was "looking for an experienced manager to take us forward" Then appoints Eyre, whose only experience as far as I could see was putting the cones out for Jim Cassells.
He then eventually realises that he made a monumental mistake, sacks Eyre gets Beech in fair enough give him a try but that was hopeless too( and we are not a lucky club to promote within and find success again so soon :-( ) .
But the next appointment finished me off, to bring in Coleman and his obnoixous assistant was a disaster. He couldnt save us when he had plenty of time to do so.
Now he has flooded our team with useless cowardly scousers( these people only fight when 5-1 odds in their favour LOL ). All jobs for the boys.
This club now has a reputation for diving, whinging and cheating. Our discipliary record is shocking!
This is down to the petulance of the players and management.
Dunphy must see this as most of us do.
The club is slowly dying, I understand the hangover feeling from relegation , but with choosing the right guy after Hill/Flitcroft we could of consolidated, not gone backwards at an alarming rate.
Its quite embarrassing being a Dale fan at present hearig all the stories about fights , hotels , holiday trips etc.
Come on Dumbo sort it out grow a pair.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024