Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Strypes hype 09:35 - Jan 28 with 2151 viewsElHoop

What do you think of this lot. A bunch 0f 14-16yo Irish kids.

They are being hyped up big time but they do make a decent noise for their age:

The Strypes hype on 09:43 - Jan 28 with 2121 viewssimmo

Nice to see young 'uns at that age into real music. They are massive in Ireland, someone sent me their single about a year ago and a friend saw them at a festival over there. A lot of covers at that point so be interesting to see what their own songs are like and if there is writing talent enough for an album or 2.

ask Beavis I get nothing Butthead

The Strypes hype on 09:44 - Jan 28 with 2120 viewsTheBlob

Ummmmmmmmmm......can see where they're going.Started off all right,then the adrenaline kicked in.
Long way to go yet to achieve this......

Poll: So how was the season for you?

The Strypes hype on 09:48 - Jan 28 with 2111 viewsMetallica_Hoop

It's alright, better than Hanson

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

The Strypes hype on 15:38 - Jan 28 with 2013 viewsMonahoop

The Strypes hype on 09:43 - Jan 28 by simmo

Nice to see young 'uns at that age into real music. They are massive in Ireland, someone sent me their single about a year ago and a friend saw them at a festival over there. A lot of covers at that point so be interesting to see what their own songs are like and if there is writing talent enough for an album or 2.

Sort of restored my faith in good R n R again. It is nice to see a young bunch of lads playing things like old Yardbirds and Bo Diddly standards instead of trying to emulate some tired indie style. It's retro yes, but the rawness of the sound of these lads and they are good live, harks back to days when R n B and R n R was fun. In some ways they are trying to remind music fans that some folk of their generation are still in touch with the roots of rock music, which is no bad thing considering many youngsters now think all music at present has to be manufactured by the likes of the vile Cowell and Walsh et al.

Was listening to them on an Irish radio station a few weeks back. They played at Ronnie Scotts and impressed one of Rocks finest guitarists, Jeff Beck. To get accolades from someone his stature is no mean feat. Time will tell though and it will be interesting to hear whether any self penned songs can stand up to the strengths of their covers. In the meantime, hats off to them.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Strypes hype on 16:07 - Jan 28 with 1976 viewsthemodfather

The Strypes hype on 15:38 - Jan 28 by Monahoop

Sort of restored my faith in good R n R again. It is nice to see a young bunch of lads playing things like old Yardbirds and Bo Diddly standards instead of trying to emulate some tired indie style. It's retro yes, but the rawness of the sound of these lads and they are good live, harks back to days when R n B and R n R was fun. In some ways they are trying to remind music fans that some folk of their generation are still in touch with the roots of rock music, which is no bad thing considering many youngsters now think all music at present has to be manufactured by the likes of the vile Cowell and Walsh et al.

Was listening to them on an Irish radio station a few weeks back. They played at Ronnie Scotts and impressed one of Rocks finest guitarists, Jeff Beck. To get accolades from someone his stature is no mean feat. Time will tell though and it will be interesting to hear whether any self penned songs can stand up to the strengths of their covers. In the meantime, hats off to them.

weller rates em...good to see someone coming thru NOT on x factor crap!
The Strypes hype on 16:15 - Jan 28 with 1961 viewsElHoop

The Strypes hype on 16:07 - Jan 28 by themodfather

weller rates em...good to see someone coming thru NOT on x factor crap!

Weller was 14 when he started The Jam so he can probably relate to them better than most. You could see them knocking out something fairly similar to the first Jam album if they can write as well.
The Strypes hype on 16:17 - Jan 28 with 1951 viewsNW5Hoop

They're managed by Elton John's company, and signed to Mercury. The story is that professional songwriters have been drafted in alongside them since they have no songs of their own. The fuss around them perhaps says as much about the desperation of the majors as it does about their actual music.

As a friend said after seeing them: "God only knows what they'll do once Lennon and McCartney start writing their own songs."
The Strypes hype on 16:18 - Jan 28 with 1951 viewsMonkey

I've seen them and for an R&B covers band they are incredible. But they've been hyped so much and they only have a couple of their own songs. They'll go some way off their initial excitement but a five album deal (which they've got) seems somewhat excessive if they don't come up with the goods. A lot of pressure on them.
Login to get fewer ads

The Strypes hype on 16:35 - Jan 28 with 1939 viewsMonahoop

The Strypes hype on 16:17 - Jan 28 by NW5Hoop

They're managed by Elton John's company, and signed to Mercury. The story is that professional songwriters have been drafted in alongside them since they have no songs of their own. The fuss around them perhaps says as much about the desperation of the majors as it does about their actual music.

As a friend said after seeing them: "God only knows what they'll do once Lennon and McCartney start writing their own songs."

It's the type of music they are playing that is drawing attention to them, unique from a young aspiring group of today, plus the fact they are from rural Co Cavan, not Dublin, London, Liverpool or Manchester.

The Rolling Stones started off under similar circumstances. Andrew Loog Oldham told them it's all very well playing blues covers, but writing your own stuff is the way to go. Jagger and Richards took heed. Jones took more drugs. The rest is history.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

The Strypes hype on 16:43 - Jan 28 with 1929 viewsNW5Hoop

The Strypes hype on 16:35 - Jan 28 by Monahoop

It's the type of music they are playing that is drawing attention to them, unique from a young aspiring group of today, plus the fact they are from rural Co Cavan, not Dublin, London, Liverpool or Manchester.

The Rolling Stones started off under similar circumstances. Andrew Loog Oldham told them it's all very well playing blues covers, but writing your own stuff is the way to go. Jagger and Richards took heed. Jones took more drugs. The rest is history.

It's not the music that's drawing attention, it's the age. If they were 40-year-old blokes no one would be paying a blind bit of notice and they'd be getting £50 for playing a Sunday night residency at your local, and you almost certainly can find a band playing the same songs just as well in a local in London one night this week.

The model here isn't the Stones. It's Jake Bugg (same record company, even). Take someone who's young, and charismatic, and has enough talent that with co-writers it can be buffed up into something saleable. The Strypes are for the kids who want something a bit tougher than Jake Bugg, just like Jake Bugg was for the kids who wanted something a bit tougher than Ed Sheeran.

Key words in all of this are: professional writers. They are not going to be releasing a debut album of Bo Diddley covers, but nor - Mercury has decided - can they write their own songs.
The Strypes hype on 16:53 - Jan 28 with 1908 viewsealinghoop

The Strypes hype on 16:43 - Jan 28 by NW5Hoop

It's not the music that's drawing attention, it's the age. If they were 40-year-old blokes no one would be paying a blind bit of notice and they'd be getting £50 for playing a Sunday night residency at your local, and you almost certainly can find a band playing the same songs just as well in a local in London one night this week.

The model here isn't the Stones. It's Jake Bugg (same record company, even). Take someone who's young, and charismatic, and has enough talent that with co-writers it can be buffed up into something saleable. The Strypes are for the kids who want something a bit tougher than Jake Bugg, just like Jake Bugg was for the kids who wanted something a bit tougher than Ed Sheeran.

Key words in all of this are: professional writers. They are not going to be releasing a debut album of Bo Diddley covers, but nor - Mercury has decided - can they write their own songs.

Jake Bugg writes his own songs though, in fact most of the praise he got for his album was for his songwriting ability
The Strypes hype on 16:53 - Jan 28 with 1905 viewsA40Bosh

The Strypes hype on 16:35 - Jan 28 by Monahoop

The bass player will learn over the next 20yrs that is it just important to know where and when not to play any notes as when to play notes. For that style of R&B letting the rhythm "breath" behind the lead guitar is what gives it it's unique sound, but we have all been there in wanting to play 400 notes a bar!

Poll: With no leg room, knees killing me, do I just go now or stay for the 2nd half o?

The Strypes hype on 16:54 - Jan 28 with 1901 viewsTheBlob

Well there was a bunch of 15 and 16 year olds once that we saw down at the Nag's Head Battersea and the half Moon Putney who called them selves Free.
Played the blues.Can be done.Difference is Kossoff and co. didn't really have anyone to copy,no template to follow note for note,no runs or vibrato to ape.
Can't listen to that frantic din as it's an amalgam of everything you've ever heard.

The Strypes hype on 16:56 - Jan 28 with 1893 viewsNW5Hoop

The Strypes hype on 16:53 - Jan 28 by ealinghoop

Jake Bugg writes his own songs though, in fact most of the praise he got for his album was for his songwriting ability

Look at the writing credits on the album sleeve. It's covered with co-writes, and they're all outside writers the label and management got in — nothing to do with young Jake. Promise you.

It's important the label can market an act like that as "authentic", so he needs to have his own name in the credits. But those songs have been buffed and polished within an inch of their life by other writers.
The Strypes hype on 16:59 - Jan 28 with 1884 viewsNW5Hoop

The Strypes hype on 16:53 - Jan 28 by ealinghoop

I should add: I don't have a horse in this race. I don't think it makes a pop singer a bad person to have co-writers (I'm a music writer, with some good friends at Mercury, so I've been hearing about both Bugg and the Strypes as it's all been going along).
The Strypes hype on 17:02 - Jan 28 with 1879 viewsTheBlob

I used to wonder if it was possible to write and play everything out of chune.
I have just witnessed the future.

The Strypes hype on 17:04 - Jan 28 with 1869 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Strypes hype on 17:02 - Jan 28 by TheBlob

I used to wonder if it was possible to write and play everything out of chune.
I have just witnessed the future.

I quite like band's that play D-Tuned.

Stoner/Doom heaven. BrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrr *reverb*

The Strypes hype on 17:10 - Jan 28 with 1856 viewsTheBlob

The Strypes hype on 17:04 - Jan 28 by Metallica_Hoop

I quite like band's that play D-Tuned.

Stoner/Doom heaven. BrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrBrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrbrrrrrrrrrr *reverb*

T-Bone's Stormy Monday ain't a Stoner number Met.
Or wasn't the last time I looked.

The Strypes hype on 17:12 - Jan 28 with 1849 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Strypes hype on 17:10 - Jan 28 by TheBlob

T-Bone's Stormy Monday ain't a Stoner number Met.
Or wasn't the last time I looked.

That it aint.

Two day gig this weekend at the 'Windmill' Brixton Much D-tunage will be heard

Sea Bastard, Ironwitch and Gurt amongst others.

The Strypes hype on 17:15 - Jan 28 with 1843 viewsElHoop

A lot of the best groups were really young when they started and broke through. The Beatles, The Jam, Sex Pistols, Arctic Monkeys and no doubt a million more besides were very young when they got going. The Beatles couldn't write that well early on and were I think offered How do You Do It which insulted them and it ended up with Gerry and The Pacemakers, as they came up with Please Please Me or something like that, and on they went from there. The Stones couldn't write at all to start with if Keef's book is reliable, but they really worked at it and moved on from covers in the end.

I think that maybe record companies are a lot quicker to sign promising new bands these days and this lot must have some potential. Whether they'll ever join the 'greats' is another question. They'll need to write great songs and play a bit better and you wonder if they'll be too distracted by fame to ever bother to get that far. They would probably be better off not being signed and developing their own stuff, but you can't really tell a young band that they shouldn't be famous and get signed on a big deal!
The Strypes hype on 17:17 - Jan 28 with 1841 viewsTheBlob

The Strypes hype on 17:12 - Jan 28 by Metallica_Hoop

That it aint.

Two day gig this weekend at the 'Windmill' Brixton Much D-tunage will be heard

Sea Bastard, Ironwitch and Gurt amongst others.

After a few bevvies it'll sound like massed nightingales.

The Strypes hype on 17:20 - Jan 28 with 1834 viewsMetallica_Hoop

The Strypes hype on 17:17 - Jan 28 by TheBlob

Aye, they sell Marston's Pedigree on tap. After 8 pints of that even Motley crue sound good

The Strypes hype on 14:51 - Jan 29 with 1741 viewsthemodfather

The Strypes hype on 17:20 - Jan 28 by Metallica_Hoop

Aye, they sell Marston's Pedigree on tap. After 8 pints of that even Motley crue sound good

was listening to some of their stuff last night...i liked it, but if going for that "mod" type market, it's ltd....
The Strypes hype on 15:02 - Jan 29 with 1720 viewssmegma

The Strypes hype on 17:17 - Jan 28 by TheBlob

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024