Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? 13:06 - Oct 30 with 1511 viewsIngs

Hi everybody,

I am a Geography A-Level student from Carmarthen and as part of the course we a required to research the effect of stadiums on the local area.

I naturally picked Swansea City's move from the Vetch to the Liberty in 2005.

I was wondering whether I could get some thoughts from Swans fans on the move now and from 2005.

Was the move regarded as a positive plan or has the move affected the old Vetch area badly?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and I hope there are some who can enlighten me on the subject. :)
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 13:12 - Oct 30 with 1498 viewsJackfath

Set up a survey monkey questionnaire and post the link.

You're supposed to be doing A level.

POSTER OF THE YEAR 2013. PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE SECOND PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD.
Poll: Should Darran's ban be lifted?

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 15:03 - Oct 30 with 1448 viewsGretsch

I think most were apprehensive about the move, mainly because of the history, and the name of The Vetch, memories good and bad on and off the field. Simply losing the name was enough.

Obviously success and enjoyment since the move has been phenomenal, who would have thought in the last year of the Vetch we would one day have Michael Laudrup as a manager, with a team to match his talents, like a dream really.

I think very few would like to return piss pools of the North bank, lack of a chance of a pint in the ground, my only concern now is mainly travel, access to The Vetch was good especially for those outside the City nice and easy train and bus stations. Travelling on a Sunday from Neath is an ordeal if you don't want to drive, trains and buses are a pain and service is poor. I think that we should have a Liberty train station by now, 21st Century!!
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 16:17 - Oct 30 with 1409 viewsUxbridge

The making of our club.
The death of our matchday experience.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 19:39 - Oct 30 with 1344 viewsQuakerJack

Naturally the biggest impact on local businesses was in the food and drink business. Pubs near the vetch suffered, the Gari closed for example, whereas pubs near the new ground went from strength to strength.

I don't know whether it impacted upon the city centre, we didn't have as big an average gate back then, I dare say that had expansion of the vetch been possible then along with premier league football it would have had a big impact on the city centre economy altho it's hardly a massive trek to the liberty, whenever I'm home (port talbot) I get the train and walk thru the hafod and back, I don't eat or drink in town but my point being it's hardly a logistics nightmare for someone who wishes to eat drink and shop in town before going to the ground, I can't comment on buses to the ground as I don't use them.

As far as the club and our progress it's something I wish didn't have to happen but I realise it needed to. I don't think the atmosphere is bad now but it isn't as good, but then that's down to our progress, we'd have to have moved from terrace to seats to comply with premier league rules and increased fan bases brings in more families and people who would rather sit, watch and clap than stand, shout and swear.

More positives than negatives but I won't be alone in saying I miss the Vetch

Poll: Some scummer on the anus board reckons 80% of us want them to go down. so... do

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 17:57 - Nov 1 with 1249 viewsJBT95

Sorry didn't quote.
[Post edited 1 Nov 2013 17:58]
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 17:58 - Nov 1 with 1246 viewsJBT95

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 15:03 - Oct 30 by Gretsch

I think most were apprehensive about the move, mainly because of the history, and the name of The Vetch, memories good and bad on and off the field. Simply losing the name was enough.

Obviously success and enjoyment since the move has been phenomenal, who would have thought in the last year of the Vetch we would one day have Michael Laudrup as a manager, with a team to match his talents, like a dream really.

I think very few would like to return piss pools of the North bank, lack of a chance of a pint in the ground, my only concern now is mainly travel, access to The Vetch was good especially for those outside the City nice and easy train and bus stations. Travelling on a Sunday from Neath is an ordeal if you don't want to drive, trains and buses are a pain and service is poor. I think that we should have a Liberty train station by now, 21st Century!!

It's a 25min walk from the train station, be grateful we weren't like Reading and built the ground 3 miles away from the train station. I get the train from Newport and have no issues, for a 3pm ko it's easy to get the 5.28 service back if you don't hang about. Travelled last Sunday by train too, no issues.
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 22:40 - Nov 1 with 1194 viewsGretsch

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 17:58 - Nov 1 by JBT95

It's a 25min walk from the train station, be grateful we weren't like Reading and built the ground 3 miles away from the train station. I get the train from Newport and have no issues, for a 3pm ko it's easy to get the 5.28 service back if you don't hang about. Travelled last Sunday by train too, no issues.

Maybe 25 mins for you, not for me.

No problems on a Saturday, but I for one have found issues on Sundays and week days by public transport
Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 23:40 - Nov 1 with 1180 viewsnlsveins_i

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 22:40 - Nov 1 by Gretsch

Maybe 25 mins for you, not for me.

No problems on a Saturday, but I for one have found issues on Sundays and week days by public transport

Not 25 here either - in fact, did it in around 10-12 minutes for the St Gallen games having got the earliest train I could from uni in Bath where I finish at 5 on a Thursday, arriving in Swansea at 19.45

Going back to the topic in question, definitely miss the Vetch and have to agree with Uxbridge there
Login to get fewer ads

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 00:26 - Nov 2 with 1166 viewsLohengrin

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 16:17 - Oct 30 by Uxbridge

The making of our club.
The death of our matchday experience.

In a nutshell, you've nailed it. My crowd have talked a lot about... how can I best put this... the dissipation of our weekend fervour. I suppose it was inevitable as we got older and other, familial concerns started to vie for our priorities. Still. It simply doesn't feel like "our" club in anything like the same way as when we'd meet up in "The Gari" at noon.

My nephews disagree. They are fanatical but don't share my frame of reference. Nor do I think they will get half as much out of their travels (the fantastic memories) as I did in my time; but there you go, maybe that's just me.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 01:33 - Nov 2 with 1145 viewsChief

what this chap is trying to emphasize is the huge support for Swansea City in the counties west of Swansea itself

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 12:06 - Nov 2 with 1096 views1983

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 00:26 - Nov 2 by Lohengrin

In a nutshell, you've nailed it. My crowd have talked a lot about... how can I best put this... the dissipation of our weekend fervour. I suppose it was inevitable as we got older and other, familial concerns started to vie for our priorities. Still. It simply doesn't feel like "our" club in anything like the same way as when we'd meet up in "The Gari" at noon.

My nephews disagree. They are fanatical but don't share my frame of reference. Nor do I think they will get half as much out of their travels (the fantastic memories) as I did in my time; but there you go, maybe that's just me.

Pretty much this

Didn't realise how much I miss the place until I went for a walk on my own one day around the Vetch area and The Sandfields,every street was a memory

Opinion on the 2005 Stadium move? on 12:09 - Nov 2 with 1092 viewsDr_Winston

If losing our matchday experiences means no longer getting tonked by the likes of Kidderminster, then I'll happily stamp the dirt down on them. I've had more enjoyment watching us in eight years at the WR than in the previous fifteen at the Vetch.

Was happy to move, and pleased that it's worked out so well. Don't miss the Vetch one little bit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024