Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wally Downes 17:11 - Dec 29 with 2854 viewshoopstar67

Just asking the question, what has he exactly brought to the party? I may be wrong but not alot from what i can see.
Wally Downes on 17:16 - Dec 29 with 2830 viewsRblockPrior

from what we can see not muh, but behind the scenes possibly alot?

Poll: Of the 3 linked away, who do you think will still be a QPR player come February?

Wally Downes on 17:26 - Dec 29 with 2795 viewsTheBlob

Lots of fresh fruit 'n veg.

Poll: So how was the season for you?

Wally Downes on 17:29 - Dec 29 with 2766 viewsQPRDave

Bottle of vodka
Wally Downes on 17:31 - Dec 29 with 2750 viewsWeaverQPR

Been told by a source from in the club he brings a packed lunch

@WeavQPR

Wally Downes on 17:44 - Dec 29 with 2709 viewsjohnhoop

I think the OP may well have a very good point here. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that losing McLaren and replacing him with a founder member of the Wimbledon "Crazy
Gang" is a major reason why we have been so totally shite for the last couple of months.
This was a team, remember, whose tactics consisted of lumping the ball up to John Fashanu and kicking the opposition off the pitch.
Wally Downes on 18:11 - Dec 29 with 2620 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 17:44 - Dec 29 by johnhoop

I think the OP may well have a very good point here. It is hard to avoid the conclusion that losing McLaren and replacing him with a founder member of the Wimbledon "Crazy
Gang" is a major reason why we have been so totally shite for the last couple of months.
This was a team, remember, whose tactics consisted of lumping the ball up to John Fashanu and kicking the opposition off the pitch.

Alot seemed happy on here when appointed but i was underwhelmed but was openminded but i still can't see what he has brought to the team.
Wally Downes on 18:16 - Dec 29 with 2601 viewsbosh67

He has brought more of a passing mentality but he doesn't have the forward players for it to be worth it. Steve M was a lot more basic to be honest but he knew how to teach positioning and concentration. We ground out results with Steve M purely because every player knew where to be, 99% of the time. The problem for Wally is he has to move the ball sideways in the middle because he hasn't got wide wingers or, as it is now, a centre forward.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Wally Downes on 18:20 - Dec 29 with 2584 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 18:16 - Dec 29 by bosh67

He has brought more of a passing mentality but he doesn't have the forward players for it to be worth it. Steve M was a lot more basic to be honest but he knew how to teach positioning and concentration. We ground out results with Steve M purely because every player knew where to be, 99% of the time. The problem for Wally is he has to move the ball sideways in the middle because he hasn't got wide wingers or, as it is now, a centre forward.

But we do have the attacking players and i think you need to give more credit to Mclaren, look what he has done with Derby, scoring goals for fun.
Login to get fewer ads

Wally Downes on 18:57 - Dec 29 with 2523 viewsCHUBBS

Wally Downes on 18:20 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

But we do have the attacking players and i think you need to give more credit to Mclaren, look what he has done with Derby, scoring goals for fun.

They were scoring goals for fun before he turned up but couldn't defend as well as SM has made them.
Its pretty easy to walk in and take over a team that someone else built from top to bottom.
Wally Downes on 19:20 - Dec 29 with 2469 viewsbosh67

Wally Downes on 18:20 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

I think you are misreading my post, Hoopstar. I'm saying that Steve M got the players better organised and better focussed than Wally has been able to do since he came in.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Wally Downes on 19:25 - Dec 29 with 2454 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 18:57 - Dec 29 by CHUBBS

They were scoring goals for fun before he turned up but couldn't defend as well as SM has made them.
Its pretty easy to walk in and take over a team that someone else built from top to bottom.

Sorry they were languishing around 14th in the table and going nowhere, same every year under clough, he has turned them from a lower to mid table team to be automatic promotion contenders in 3months, give the guy credit.
Wally Downes on 19:32 - Dec 29 with 2432 viewsShotKneesHoop

Wally Downes on 19:25 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

Sorry they were languishing around 14th in the table and going nowhere, same every year under clough, he has turned them from a lower to mid table team to be automatic promotion contenders in 3months, give the guy credit.

"Arry or Schteeve?"

The latter every time.

At leasr Schteeve doesn't think that everything's coming up Rosie's.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Wally Downes on 19:40 - Dec 29 with 2410 viewsCHUBBS

Derby are a young side who were progressing at a fast rate to which SM has reaped the benefits of.
You have to give him credit but i'd give Clough far more as the difficult part is building the team from scratch.
He assembled that young hungry energetic team with a very small budget and SM has just waltzed in and made a few organizational tweaks and the results have improved.
There is no way on Gods green earth he'd have had us playing that way as we have an aging and far less hungry squad.
The reason?
Money,we're paying way to much to average players who now feel they have nothing to prove,to which the finger can be pointed at TF as he signs the cheques.
Wally Downes on 19:45 - Dec 29 with 2391 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 19:40 - Dec 29 by CHUBBS

Derby are a young side who were progressing at a fast rate to which SM has reaped the benefits of.
You have to give him credit but i'd give Clough far more as the difficult part is building the team from scratch.
He assembled that young hungry energetic team with a very small budget and SM has just waltzed in and made a few organizational tweaks and the results have improved.
There is no way on Gods green earth he'd have had us playing that way as we have an aging and far less hungry squad.
The reason?
Money,we're paying way to much to average players who now feel they have nothing to prove,to which the finger can be pointed at TF as he signs the cheques.

Clough was sacked as the team was not progressing,Mclaren has more than tweaked, he has shown what a good coach he actually is , he has turned them into automatic promotion contenders, nobody thought that of derby especially when he took them over.
Wally Downes on 19:58 - Dec 29 with 2362 viewsCHUBBS

Wally Downes on 19:45 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

Clough was sacked as the team was not progressing,Mclaren has more than tweaked, he has shown what a good coach he actually is , he has turned them into automatic promotion contenders, nobody thought that of derby especially when he took them over.

Yeah he's turned round the form of a team with energetic young talented players with something to prove.
Even our young players are on stupid money never mind the older ones so they have a complete different mind set.
He never got us playing any thing like they do when he was here so i don't get your point.
He didn't build the side,its someone else's so i will give him credit where its due for that but no more.
In fact at Twente he took over the previous managers side and done the same.
Some can organize teams,others can build them.
I wouldn't want him as our manager.
Wally Downes on 20:18 - Dec 29 with 2316 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 19:58 - Dec 29 by CHUBBS

Yeah he's turned round the form of a team with energetic young talented players with something to prove.
Even our young players are on stupid money never mind the older ones so they have a complete different mind set.
He never got us playing any thing like they do when he was here so i don't get your point.
He didn't build the side,its someone else's so i will give him credit where its due for that but no more.
In fact at Twente he took over the previous managers side and done the same.
Some can organize teams,others can build them.
I wouldn't want him as our manager.

Err he won them the title which they never won before, our start to the season was alot to do with him, and when he left i think most fans on here were worried about the impact, now its obvious the impact he has had on both clubs,derby and ours, and yes i have changed my opinion on him,before he joined i would never have had wanted him as a manager but now i would as whatever you say he did have an impact on the team.Players have come out and said what a great coach he was and how they enjoyed training, have they said that with Downes?
Wally Downes on 20:23 - Dec 29 with 2305 viewsSpiritofGregory

I wonder what Fernandes thinks about that and if he's mentioned how well Steve's doing to Harry.
Wally Downes on 20:27 - Dec 29 with 2286 viewsCHUBBS

Wally Downes on 20:18 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

Err he won them the title which they never won before, our start to the season was alot to do with him, and when he left i think most fans on here were worried about the impact, now its obvious the impact he has had on both clubs,derby and ours, and yes i have changed my opinion on him,before he joined i would never have had wanted him as a manager but now i would as whatever you say he did have an impact on the team.Players have come out and said what a great coach he was and how they enjoyed training, have they said that with Downes?

I'm not doubting his ability to coach players but don't think he's up to much as a manager.
As i've said you can't be known as a top manager unless you build your own side.The only time he ever done that was at Middlesborough and has failed to do so in every other job when required.
My real point is we really need to unload most of our current squad and build a younger,hungrier,cheaper squad capable of holding their own.
He's failed miserably in 4 of his last 5 managerial appointments so i just don't think he'd be capable of that.
Wally Downes on 20:43 - Dec 29 with 2262 viewshoopstar67

Wally Downes on 20:27 - Dec 29 by CHUBBS

I'm not doubting his ability to coach players but don't think he's up to much as a manager.
As i've said you can't be known as a top manager unless you build your own side.The only time he ever done that was at Middlesborough and has failed to do so in every other job when required.
My real point is we really need to unload most of our current squad and build a younger,hungrier,cheaper squad capable of holding their own.
He's failed miserably in 4 of his last 5 managerial appointments so i just don't think he'd be capable of that.

I think he is very much capable, and i think he has learned alot from being in Holland and Germany,im not saying he would be my number 1 choice if Harry was ever to leave but he would be right up there at the moment, in fact i was thinking when he joined he may very well take over from Harry at some point, unfortuantely Derby came along, just out of interest who would be your choice? Mine has always been Hoddle, still has so much to give, worked with lots of young players and i think he has also learned alot in the last few years and he does talk alot of sense when ive heard him on radio and tv last couple of years.
Wally Downes on 20:54 - Dec 29 with 2246 viewsCHUBBS

Wally Downes on 20:43 - Dec 29 by hoopstar67

I think he is very much capable, and i think he has learned alot from being in Holland and Germany,im not saying he would be my number 1 choice if Harry was ever to leave but he would be right up there at the moment, in fact i was thinking when he joined he may very well take over from Harry at some point, unfortuantely Derby came along, just out of interest who would be your choice? Mine has always been Hoddle, still has so much to give, worked with lots of young players and i think he has also learned alot in the last few years and he does talk alot of sense when ive heard him on radio and tv last couple of years.

I like Steve,he comes across as a decent honest fella but i would be looking else where if Harry left.
My choice would be Sean Dyche,he's young hungry,intelligent and has done a very good job at Watford and Burnley.
I still think he'd struggle to make this overpaid fat lazy squad of players produce the same results Redknap has though.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2013 20:56]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024