Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts 17:48 - Apr 5 with 3819 viewsTacticalR

'At a cost of around £2m a year, Brentford decided it was simply too much of a risk that their academy — with so much competition on its doorstep in London — would produce enough first-team players to make that investment worthwhile. Instead they are focused on recruiting young players between 17 and 20 who have been released by academies in the Premier League, as well as talent from "undervalued markets" overseas.'

They seem to rely on giving the team experience through arranging ad hoc B team friendlies.

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing Premier League outcasts
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy

Air hostess clique

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 17:55 - Apr 5 with 3809 viewsNorthernr

Here's another piece on the EPPP working well at Swansea.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/premier-league-elite-player-per

Personally think it's an absolute crock of sht, forced through by and for the benefit of exactly the sort of clubs we don't want to have all the best young players because they never pick them in the first team i.e. Chelsea, Man City, Liverpool etc.

I think Brentford's idea is a good one personally.

I think Ferdinand's idea with us is right as well - i.e. show them that if you come here and play your football and you're good enough you will be in the first team. It requires the manager to do his bit and pick them, and the fans not to be cnts about it as boys learn their trade. Then you're relying on parents and kids making the right choice when Chelsea come waving loads of cash at any half decent 14 15 16 year old - do you want short term gain and long term out of the sport, or do you actually want to play some football?

Ridiculous system though, geared towards players not playing any football. Even the positive article from Swansea says they bought a 20 year old from Bradford (where he'd presumably be playing first team) and he's doing well in some fcking Checkatrade Trophy games.
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 19:12 - Apr 5 with 3718 views18StoneOfHoop

When you're ready,switchingcode buzzy lickle Bee...what's keeping you..having a pint with Clint Hill's Twickenham BNP mate Jamie Baldwin??

Do tell us all about your statistically analysed Matthew Benham Wonderball system.
Ever since you got rid of little legged long torsoed Scotty Hogan in the January window I have to admit you lot have been on fire without an orthodox target man classical 9 centre-forward or pacy Andre Grey type.

My game-reading eyesight and sobriety may not be the best but I sincerely did not realise Lasse Vibe was playing more centrally 'in the hole' no.10 position.I thought he was coming in from wide, swapping from wing to wing, almost a la unorthodox Clayton Donaldson coming in from the left,back in his pre BrumCee Griffin Park heyday. Do try and bee a little less patronising BTW,switching old boy. We do like a plucky underdog but not a cocky crowing new comer.

Answer the question, Northernr, categorically and definitively. Would you keep the very expensive low returns academy youth set-up at LR or would you have the sheer brass balls like Benham and his Bees to sack it off completely ASAP and ditch it forthwith?
[Post edited 6 Apr 2017 1:48]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 19:22 - Apr 5 with 3706 viewstheQPRking

EEEP is a load of bollox as many have stated. Just like the Premier League itself, EEEP only favors the elite clubs. All well and good Swansea having some 'success' with their academy, but they have no competition out there in middle of nowhere.. Try telling that to smaller clubs within 200 miles of an elite club, because they will no doubt have their best players taken for nothing. Especially London, the biggest catchment area, let alone the london sides + Watford.. Southampton, Man Utd, Man City, Norwich, Reading and Celtic all have a presence too..

I coach at a sunday league youth club in west london and we've had 55 kids signed to pro clubs in the last 4 and half years, and take it from me, its never the kids, its some parents who get greedy very quickly, the development of the kid is a minor concern. The smaller clubs have a tougher job attracting the younger kid (parents) has options, but 'route to first team' is an important factor and should be highlighted better by so many clubs.

Don't worry, QPR signed a young kid of ours a couple seasons back at the age of 9, and he is pure class, ran rings around kids two age groups above..

Oh and Sir Les isn't evil (sorry those of you who hate him).. He and Ramsey were bang involved with everything, even when we brought a team of tots over like our u7s and u8s..
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 21:21 - Apr 5 with 3587 viewsRoller

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 19:12 - Apr 5 by 18StoneOfHoop

When you're ready,switchingcode buzzy lickle Bee...what's keeping you..having a pint with Clint Hill's Twickenham BNP mate Jamie Baldwin??

Do tell us all about your statistically analysed Matthew Benham Wonderball system.
Ever since you got rid of little legged long torsoed Scotty Hogan in the January window I have to admit you lot have been on fire without an orthodox target man classical 9 centre-forward or pacy Andre Grey type.

My game-reading eyesight and sobriety may not be the best but I sincerely did not realise Lasse Vibe was playing more centrally 'in the hole' no.10 position.I thought he was coming in from wide, swapping from wing to wing, almost a la unorthodox Clayton Donaldson coming in from the left,back in his pre BrumCee Griffin Park heyday. Do try and bee a little less patronising BTW,switching old boy. We do like a plucky underdog but not a cocky crowing new comer.

Answer the question, Northernr, categorically and definitively. Would you keep the very expensive low returns academy youth set-up at LR or would you have the sheer brass balls like Benham and his Bees to sack it off completely ASAP and ditch it forthwith?

I'd definitely keep it.

While this season is not typical of previous seasons, it has provided Manning, Furlong and Shodipo to the first team and covered a significant amount of its cost with the sales of Kpekawa.

Should any number of Hämäläinen, Eze, Grego-Cox, Paul, Lumley etc follow a similar route,it will have handsomely paid for itself for several years to come.
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 22:20 - Apr 5 with 3496 viewsswitchingcode

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 19:12 - Apr 5 by 18StoneOfHoop

Suggest you do a bit more research it's all out there starting with our owner who's name is Matthew Benham.Regarding life after the sale of Hogan we bought back Jota from Spain signed Canos from Norwich who we had on loan last season along with signing Jozefzoon from PSV.These are all pacey wide players that we lacked and meant we could put Vibe in a more central striker position rather than him playing just behind Hogan.We were very predictable with Hogan as our lone striker,as good as he was we are a better team without him not to mention a few bob in the bank to spend in the summer.You will see all this when we hopefully slaughter you in a couple of weeks time
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 12:42 - Apr 16 with 3129 viewsTacticalR

One of the things that really puzzled me about the original article was that Brentford had been able to organise more than 30 B team friendlies (i.e. effectively organise a season's worth of games). Does that mean that all these other clubs (Liverpool, Manchester United and Manchester City were mentioned) have B teams sitting around doing nothing?

Air hostess clique

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 13:58 - Apr 16 with 3032 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

My brother was youth team coach there right up until a few months before they ditched it.

He was pretty uncomplimentary about the set up there, especially the retention process. He says a lot of good young players were binned and a lot of poor players kept because the system they had in place.
Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 18:23 - Apr 16 with 2883 viewsMrSheen

I think the fact that they are building a new ground that relies on the sale of new flats probably inspired this cost-cutting more than anything. Besides, isn't the academy as much about marketing your club to the community than unearthing valuable commodities?
Login to get fewer ads

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 18:47 - Apr 16 with 2859 viewscaliforniahoop

Why Brentford ditched their academy in favour of developing PL outcasts on 19:22 - Apr 5 by theQPRking

EEEP is a load of bollox as many have stated. Just like the Premier League itself, EEEP only favors the elite clubs. All well and good Swansea having some 'success' with their academy, but they have no competition out there in middle of nowhere.. Try telling that to smaller clubs within 200 miles of an elite club, because they will no doubt have their best players taken for nothing. Especially London, the biggest catchment area, let alone the london sides + Watford.. Southampton, Man Utd, Man City, Norwich, Reading and Celtic all have a presence too..

I coach at a sunday league youth club in west london and we've had 55 kids signed to pro clubs in the last 4 and half years, and take it from me, its never the kids, its some parents who get greedy very quickly, the development of the kid is a minor concern. The smaller clubs have a tougher job attracting the younger kid (parents) has options, but 'route to first team' is an important factor and should be highlighted better by so many clubs.

Don't worry, QPR signed a young kid of ours a couple seasons back at the age of 9, and he is pure class, ran rings around kids two age groups above..

Oh and Sir Les isn't evil (sorry those of you who hate him).. He and Ramsey were bang involved with everything, even when we brought a team of tots over like our u7s and u8s..

Funny we have had no comments regarding, Les and CR's involvement in the signing of the young player and overseeing u7's.

Well done these two, clubs best signings!!!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024