Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bring Back The Old Guard 16:46 - Nov 6 with 1121 viewsDejR_vu

We need to bring back the old guard. Our season turned last year when we had Hill, Derry, Taarabt, and Mackie in the team. Nowhere near as good technically as the new signings but at least they would put up a fight.

The only ones who didn't hide on Sunday were Nelson, Diakite, Granero, Mackie, and Taarabt.

Most of the team picks itself:

Cesar

Nelson / Hill (plus two)

(Five out of) Diakite / Faurlin / Granero / Derry / Taarabt / Mackie

Cisse

I would give Harriman a chance, and might as well toss a coin on the other.

Might not be the 'best' players, but at least they care and if we are going down we might as well go down with a fight.

Poll: Season tickets - who’s renewing?

Bring Back The Old Guard on 16:47 - Nov 6 with 1115 viewsklr

I'd like to see Hill against Stoke.
Bring Back The Old Guard on 16:55 - Nov 6 with 1086 viewstom007

could give a couple of the youngsters a go too at least they got something to play for
therefore a bit of passion in the play.
Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:01 - Nov 6 with 1070 viewsadhoc_qpr

I wouldn't pick Harriman vs Stoke as he's very short and slight from memory, but Ehmer couldn't do a worse job at fullback!

Diakite is a tough one, one of our few forward thinking players but Stoke actually are meticulously prepared unlike us and will be looking to wind him up and get him sent off (which lets face it isn't hard).

An experienced head like Derry sitting in front of the bad four might be better.
Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:05 - Nov 6 with 1059 viewsbosh67

I go back to Ephraim. Why give the kid a contract and never give him a chance. Many don't think he's that good but he gives everything and can play in all sorts of places. His career, for me has been wasted, as for me he's always been a natural finisher, probably playing off a bigger striker, but has never been played in that role. By the way, that's why we got him from West Ham, as a potential fox in the box. I also asked anyone if they can remember him getting a shot away in the box that didn't hit the target? I can't. First half of the season we went up him and Adel had a great playing relationship and he was one of the real bright lights before he got injured. Since then he's been wasted and everyone says he's lightweight and can't cut it. You look at Jnr H against Reading and you see the same thing. Why play him wide when he has that much pace and talent. Put him down the middle. Classic Walcott style mismanagement of small players.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:07 - Nov 6 with 1055 viewsjamois

I disagree with this post generally. I'm as unhappy as anyone at the moment but I see it as a managerial/coaching problem, not the players. Yes, Adel looked like the only one with any spark on sunday. But it seemed clear to me that they had prepared to play and were set up in a certain way. Zonal marking, letting them have the ball in midfield, not really going for it in the 2nd half, these were all managerial instructions. The players just looked frustrated to me. I thought Bosingwa could have done with a rocket up his arse but nobody else was playing in a way to suggest they fully didn't care or were disengaged. And ironically, if Adel had his shooting boots on then we would have won something like 3-1. You want someone to put up a fight? Then stick a rocket up Hughes' arse and get him to start seeing things differently.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:16 - Nov 6 with 1040 viewsDejR_vu

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:07 - Nov 6 by jamois

I disagree with this post generally. I'm as unhappy as anyone at the moment but I see it as a managerial/coaching problem, not the players. Yes, Adel looked like the only one with any spark on sunday. But it seemed clear to me that they had prepared to play and were set up in a certain way. Zonal marking, letting them have the ball in midfield, not really going for it in the 2nd half, these were all managerial instructions. The players just looked frustrated to me. I thought Bosingwa could have done with a rocket up his arse but nobody else was playing in a way to suggest they fully didn't care or were disengaged. And ironically, if Adel had his shooting boots on then we would have won something like 3-1. You want someone to put up a fight? Then stick a rocket up Hughes' arse and get him to start seeing things differently.

I think Bosingwa losing possession and gently jogging back to the halfway line before breaking into a slow walk whilst Reading attacked the gap he had left behind shows disinterest not frustration. Anton shuffling around likewise. Diakite looking up and no one showing so he has to go alone. Starting the game like a training session. Not all the players fault I'm sure, but I can't believe MH sends them out with instructions not to compete, or mark at set pieces.

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:27 - Nov 6 with 1000 viewsPigbag

I Understand the the whole commited to the shirt stuff but regarding to the OP...you genuinely believe picking a team on passion over abillity? Throwing Harriman in because he's young and wants to prove a point? Big ask to perform in a underperforming team at a hostile place like The Britannia don't you think?
Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:33 - Nov 6 with 986 viewsDejR_vu

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:27 - Nov 6 by Pigbag

I Understand the the whole commited to the shirt stuff but regarding to the OP...you genuinely believe picking a team on passion over abillity? Throwing Harriman in because he's young and wants to prove a point? Big ask to perform in a underperforming team at a hostile place like The Britannia don't you think?

My point is that at this moment in time we need players who are prepared to stand up and be counted. On Sunday's evidence there are too many hiding. My OP said that most of the team picks itself, and at the back I said 'plus two'. I just think one of the younger lads would come in and give everything. The Britannia isn't Old Trafford or The Emirates. He did okay at Wigan last year, and at the very least I don't think would be any worse than the fullbacks were on Sunday.

Login to get fewer ads

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:49 - Nov 6 with 956 viewsderbyhoop

I presume those who are calling for Harriman and/or Ehmer were at Hampton last night so they could do the comparisons wth Sunday.

Thought not!.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Bring Back The Old Guard on 18:01 - Nov 6 with 940 viewsjamois

Bring Back The Old Guard on 17:16 - Nov 6 by DejR_vu

I think Bosingwa losing possession and gently jogging back to the halfway line before breaking into a slow walk whilst Reading attacked the gap he had left behind shows disinterest not frustration. Anton shuffling around likewise. Diakite looking up and no one showing so he has to go alone. Starting the game like a training session. Not all the players fault I'm sure, but I can't believe MH sends them out with instructions not to compete, or mark at set pieces.

You missed my point on Bosingwa - I agree wholeheartedly, he was awful and definitely not down to frustration on his part, hence the rocket up his arse comment. But whilst I think MH did not send them out directing them to not compete, the net result of his tactical nuances is that this is what effectively happened. Ergo, poor coaching/management.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Bring Back The Old Guard on 18:05 - Nov 6 with 925 viewsDejR_vu

Bring Back The Old Guard on 18:01 - Nov 6 by jamois

You missed my point on Bosingwa - I agree wholeheartedly, he was awful and definitely not down to frustration on his part, hence the rocket up his arse comment. But whilst I think MH did not send them out directing them to not compete, the net result of his tactical nuances is that this is what effectively happened. Ergo, poor coaching/management.

Derbyhoop, no I wasn't at Hampton last night, but you're missing the point of the thread.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024