Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Practice What You Preach 05:23 - May 9 with 340 viewsexiled_dictator

The timing of Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson's departure is spot on, Mark Hughes has told Sky Sports News.

Ferguson made his shock announcement on Wednesday morning that he would be relinquishing his managerial duties at the end of the season.

Hughes, who played under Ferguson over two spells at Old Trafford, admitted he was initially shocked to hear the news but added: "As the hours have gone on you would probably say the timing is right for Sir Alex and United.

"They've had a great season, they've won the title and particularly bearing in mind that they have wrenched the Premier League crown from City which was mightily important for Sir Alex."

"In football, it's always important to know when to go. A football club is like a family with players, management & supporters all playing their part. Once one area has lost motivation, or is simply under performing, then the decision to leave must come from that particular area. So if a manager is not achieving the results that the club and owners want, then he should be man enough to accept failure and resign. Alternatively, you could wait for the owners to sack you, and if you have Kia in your corner, then his negotiating will ensure that you will still be entitled to the whole value of that contract. 20% might sound a lot, but it ensures that I always get the best deal".

Everton boss David Moyes is the current favourite to step into Ferguson's shoes and choosing the next man is an action Hughes does not envy anybody having to make.

"It's a big decision for United," added Hughes, who is still out of work since being sacked as QPR boss in November for piss poor results leaving them at the bottom of the Premiership.

"It's something they knew would happen one day and you'd imagine given the size of the club and financial implications of a change in management that their succession plans will be in place and things will probably now progress quickly."

"Obviously, I am still available for consideration and would urge Manchester United, or in fact any club professional, semi-professional or amateur, to call me so we can arrange for me to interview them. I would also suggest that my managerial record speaks volumes for itself, and should be looked at as a whole and not at individual club results I achieved. Besides, I inherited a poor side from Colin that had no balance, spine or Premiership experience. All the signings I made have more than contributed to the club in a positive way. If you look at the player's individual records, you will clearly see that it was other manager's signings who let the club down with their poor performances, and as a result, QPR have now been relegated"'

Hughes joined United as a youth player in 1978, left for Barcelona in 1986 and was re-signed by Ferguson two years later before scoring 83 goals in 256 games over a seven-year spell.

The former striker paid tribute to the support he has received by Ferguson as a player and more recently as a manager.

"Anybody who's been in his company and had the pleasure of working for him, you are struck by his passion, drive and desire to win football matches and trophies," the 49-year-old Welshman said.

"That's just part of his DNA and you always sensed that being around him. As a player you felt an obligation to win football matches and if you didn't, you'd be quickly replaced."

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Practice What You Preach on 05:34 - May 9 with 334 viewstimcocking

"In football, it's always important to know when to go. A football club is like a family with players, management & supporters all playing their part. Once one area has lost motivation, or is simply under performing, then the decision to leave must come from that particular area. So if a manager is not achieving the results that the club and owners want, then he should be man enough to accept failure and resign"

???!!! Surely i can't just have read that statement coming from Mark Hughes?
Practice What You Preach on 09:02 - May 9 with 262 viewsBeauRanger

Shocking stuff....
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]
Practice What You Preach on 09:46 - May 9 with 216 viewsdaveB

well that is the most incredible quote I've ever read, what a prize kunt that man is
Practice What You Preach on 09:55 - May 9 with 203 viewsimustbemad

That's a p!ss take - right?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024