Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. 14:37 - Apr 14 with 4838 viewsNOTRAC

Leighton James said a couple of weeks ago that we are sleepwalking to disaster.Since then we have lost another two games and play Newcastle away next week
Can anyone say with confidence that we'll get a point at Newcastle next week?
As we saw on Saturday teams around us are now winning games and the seriousness of our situation could become critical in a weeks time.
We then have two home games which we should expect to win.But we have only won five home matches all season.
We keep blaming referees and telling ourselves that we are too good to go down, but apart from Norwich we have come nowhere near winning a game since Cardiff.
To my mind we have a goalkeeper crisis and an inexperienced manager who has got no idea how to change a game if the need arises. Too many managers are exposing that inexperience.
The fact that this will go down to the wire makes me feel so critical of our laxness in not appreciating the danger signals in January and subsequent events.
We could end up being relegated as the best team ever to have done so.We could end up being relegated as the only team to make a profit in the same year.
I hope to damn we won't, but I also feel damn mad that it should have come down to this.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:22 - Apr 14 with 1268 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:02 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Who's defending anything ? January signings were not great, but we were in huge trouble before that. We just all assumed it would get better when players were fit.Plus we have been in a relegation battle all season, particularly since November when we have been really poor.

We have not been in a relegation battle all season.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:53 - Apr 14 with 1217 viewsDr_Winston

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:02 - Apr 14 by monmouth

It is frankly mental that we are anywhere near this position. Many factors have conspired including, I think, some degree of complacency throughout the club.

It would need to be the perfect storm for us to go down and now there can clearly be no complacency left. It remains clear though that if we can't get three or four more points from the games left then we will get exactly what we deserve and there can be no whining. Problem is of course, as we saw yesterday, the less games you have left, the more you are playing russian roulette with lady fortune.

Nail. Head. Hit.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:04 - Apr 14 with 1187 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:22 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

We have not been in a relegation battle all season.

Ok, cool.

Choose to believe what you like. Teams on 33 points don't just get to that state because of a turn in form since January. Look at Newcastle. Awful form for past 10 games, but has been good enough prior to that to be safe already. We chose to deny it but we have had the form and performances of relegation candidates all season, we just didn't think it would get to this point at this stage of season.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:07 - Apr 14 with 1171 viewsDr_Winston

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:04 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Ok, cool.

Choose to believe what you like. Teams on 33 points don't just get to that state because of a turn in form since January. Look at Newcastle. Awful form for past 10 games, but has been good enough prior to that to be safe already. We chose to deny it but we have had the form and performances of relegation candidates all season, we just didn't think it would get to this point at this stage of season.

We've had the form and performance of relegation candidates since February 2013.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:11 - Apr 14 with 1160 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:07 - Apr 14 by Dr_Winston

We've had the form and performance of relegation candidates since February 2013.

Yet according to some we were not in danger of getting relegated until January window closed.

It was a poor window but is nowhere near the main reason we are where we are. Last years Jan window was equally poor.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:13 - Apr 14 with 1149 viewsshandyjack

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:28 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

I disagree, we weren't in a relegation battle before the January transfer window.

There were signs that we needed to strengthen the squad, but instead we had a board member bragging about signing Emnes on Twitter?

How anyone can defend that is beyond me.

i had an argument with Mr Dineen on twitter the day we signed Emnes and i couldn't believe the rubbish he was spouting

Poll: Expectation for the season

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:20 - Apr 14 with 1132 viewsshandyjack

i think all four factors are to blame this season. In order:

1. ML rested on his laurels after winning the cup, too laid back with the players,lack of passion for this job, should of got his agent in order when the trouble erupted in the summer, insisting on such a small squad going into this season and finally not being able to pick a decent striker (Schecter, Vazquez) Moore was better option than both. Refusing to play Bony at the start of the season

2. The Board - Dreadful recruitment policy in both Jan transfer windows, Allowing ML to take the club for ransom in the summer with his demands, not having any sort of scouting policy besides the championship and youth players in scotland. The way they handled the whole sacking affair and most importantly not getting in an experienced PL manager when ML was sacked, GM is a great bloke and true Swansea legend but i fear for our future if he was to get the full time job.

3. The players - too many this season have underperfomed for whatever reason. Too many players wanting to involve themselves with the behind the scences stuff rather than what goes on on the pitch. Too much off field talk to the press about England call ups and staying unbeaten.

4. Us fans - Too many times this seaosn the atmosphere has been dreadful, I can count on one hand games this season where the atmosphere has been quality. We ourselves have thought we were too good to go down and got complacent.

Having said this, 1 win out of our reaming four games and we will stay up then we get pre season to reflect on a poor one and start again, new manager, new ideas and a tweak in our so called ethos/philosophy
[Post edited 14 Apr 2014 19:28]

Poll: Expectation for the season

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:22 - Apr 14 with 1127 viewsDr_Winston

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:11 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Yet according to some we were not in danger of getting relegated until January window closed.

It was a poor window but is nowhere near the main reason we are where we are. Last years Jan window was equally poor.

The manager and club need to be singing from the same hymn sheet. If all Laudrup was getting offered was Championship nobodies, then naturally he's going to turn his nose up at them. If Laudrup only wants players his buddy can make a few quid off, then naturally the club are going to tell him to f*ck off. I do believe the breakdown in relationship between ML and the club had a lot to do with our problems in the last window though.

Crazy thing is that sometimes it still works. Wilf, Amat, Pozzy and Canas were all decent additions last summer.

This post has been edited by an administrator

Login to get fewer ads

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:24 - Apr 14 with 1115 viewsexiledclaseboy

This is a cheery thread. Getting the juices flowing nicely for the four massive games we've got coming up. Keep it up, chaps. Inspiring stuff.

Poll: Tory leader

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:26 - Apr 14 with 1109 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:04 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Ok, cool.

Yea cool bro so you agree that the board should be held responsible for signging Emnes and Ngog?
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:34 - Apr 14 with 1080 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:26 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

Yea cool bro so you agree that the board should be held responsible for signging Emnes and Ngog?

If the board were blocking Laudrup signings and choosing to sign their own alternatives then I agree 100%. From what I'm told, Laudrup wasn't very keen to sign anyone in January and was being pushed quite hard by the board to strengthen to cover injuries. Emnes and Ngog were suggested to Laudrup by scouts as players who could supplement the cover in the squad and Laudrup agreed to it, but wanted one more chance to get Chadli instead. Chadli declined and we then signed Emnes.

Who knows how true that is as people tend to tell you what they want you to know.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:08 - Apr 14 with 1028 viewsGeoffThom

Some people need to realise we've been sleepwalking into disaster since February 2013 our record since the cup win speaks for itself ,yes we're a small side due to our stadia capacity and no sugar daddy but were one of the richest due to good housekeeping ,the board put itself in a catch 22 in the summer and once that happend laudrup was going but the timing had to be right ,they cocked it up he should have gone before xmas to give a new manager a chance to use the transfer window .sorry to say jobs for the boys is a culture here and I can see why we feel we owe some players but this is football it's cut throat and they know the score .as I've said in a previous thread a clean out is needed and a makeover no matter which div were in ,if we should stay in the prem then we need to invest in the playing staff to keep us safe for a few seasons we can afford it for one season ,pardew was right all along about the Europa but laudrup chose to ignore it and a couple of his signings are not up to the mark plus the boards signings aren't either stick to FIFA on x box fellas
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:10 - Apr 14 with 1024 viewsOldjack

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:24 - Apr 14 by exiledclaseboy

This is a cheery thread. Getting the juices flowing nicely for the four massive games we've got coming up. Keep it up, chaps. Inspiring stuff.

Init ffs what's done is done and can't be undone ,has the tea lady had the blame yet? onwards and upwards starts this Saturday

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:11 - Apr 14 with 1020 viewsicecoldjack

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 16:28 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

I disagree, we weren't in a relegation battle before the January transfer window.

There were signs that we needed to strengthen the squad, but instead we had a board member bragging about signing Emnes on Twitter?

How anyone can defend that is beyond me.

I didn't know about the Twitter thing, what was the situation with that ? was Lee dineen on twitter telling people about our sigings? i thought he was the commercial department ?

Im still waiting for him to tell me more about this "massive potential investment" that will help with stadium expansion..
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:11 - Apr 14 with 1022 viewsFearOfAJackPlanet

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:34 - Apr 14 by IAN05

If the board were blocking Laudrup signings and choosing to sign their own alternatives then I agree 100%. From what I'm told, Laudrup wasn't very keen to sign anyone in January and was being pushed quite hard by the board to strengthen to cover injuries. Emnes and Ngog were suggested to Laudrup by scouts as players who could supplement the cover in the squad and Laudrup agreed to it, but wanted one more chance to get Chadli instead. Chadli declined and we then signed Emnes.

Who knows how true that is as people tend to tell you what they want you to know.

That sounds quite plausible to me. Laudrup was quite open at the time that he didn't think we needed to strengthen as we had players coming back from injury (Michu, Dyer, Canas et al), unless there was the opportunity for a major signing - and I guess Chadli would come into that bracket.

Saying that, the bit about the board pressing for signings doesn't quite tally-up with HJ's public pronouncements that the philosophy was to do all the business in the summer and stay out of the January meat market unless absolutely necessary. Either they lost their own plot or they took it upon themselves to start to direct first-team matters and tensions increased to the point of no return, the signings of Emnes and N'Gog a messy comprimise between the positions of the board and ML.

Enjoying the next level
Poll: Have you ever seen Swansea City relegated before?

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:16 - Apr 14 with 993 viewsApeShit

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 19:34 - Apr 14 by IAN05

I didnt mention the board blocking Laudrup's signings...

You are dropping the sound bites now though like Phil..

"We are not in a relegation battle" "Laudrup agreed to all signings"

You're meant to be the voice of the supporters.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:21 - Apr 14 with 974 viewsMolliemick

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 15:27 - Apr 14 by tomdickharry

There needs to be a big clear out in the summer,Ngog No54 that's 54 players being on the pay roll including those out on loan who's salaries I would wager are being supplemented by the Swans. The chill wind of relegation is blowing and league positions don't lie,it could have been and should have been very different,it has all been said about the Jan window but I will add that the criminal fact that Caulker was available and we let him go to Cardiff with not the mearest of effort to get him was unforgivable,again in January a very good centre back Scott Dan was snapped up by Palace on the last day of the window,been a rock at the heart of their resurgence,okay we know opinions differ about players but the two named had proved beyond any shadow of doubt that they have what it takes in the PL,unlike Emnes and NGog add to that Lita and we have 3 players who I am sure no other PL club would touch with a barge pole and in addition costing us big bucks. Sleepwalking with our eyes open.

How do you know that the the players you name were not asked to come to Swansea? We are a club "out in the sticks away from large centres of entertainment". Young men might prefer London and Manchester. We have a recruitment problem simply due to our geographical position, and moderate wages aggravate the situation.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:23 - Apr 14 with 969 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:16 - Apr 14 by ApeShit

I didnt mention the board blocking Laudrup's signings...

You are dropping the sound bites now though like Phil..

"We are not in a relegation battle" "Laudrup agreed to all signings"

You're meant to be the voice of the supporters.

I never said you did. I added it as that would be the deciding part on whether I felt the board was to blame or not.

I'm not on the Trust mate, so I don't have to be the voice of anyone, other than my mind.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:27 - Apr 14 with 952 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:21 - Apr 14 by Molliemick

How do you know that the the players you name were not asked to come to Swansea? We are a club "out in the sticks away from large centres of entertainment". Young men might prefer London and Manchester. We have a recruitment problem simply due to our geographical position, and moderate wages aggravate the situation.

Plus, spending 9 million on Caulker when the manager didn't want him would be a crazy waste of money.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:27 - Apr 14 with 952 viewsGeoffThom

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:21 - Apr 14 by Molliemick

Good point ,but they are mostly mercenaries if the offers ok and it's the right div they will come also don't forget players talk to each other and many have come to little old swansea and fallen for the place
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:16 - Apr 14 with 872 viewstomdickharry

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 20:27 - Apr 14 by IAN05

Plus, spending 9 million on Caulker when the manager didn't want him would be a crazy waste of money.

How do you know the Manager didn't want him.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:28 - Apr 14 with 845 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:16 - Apr 14 by tomdickharry

He said so in one of his press conferences. It may have been a diplomatic answer, but he normally played a straight bat in his press conferences
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:37 - Apr 14 with 828 viewsmorningstar

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 18:07 - Apr 14 by IAN05

I dread to imagine him getting injured. Would be as good as down

Really? Bony has got the goals this season Ian, but do you know how many points they have gained us? 2. A goal in the draw against Stoke, and the goal against Arsenal. All of his other goals have been in games that we have lost, or won comfortably anyway.

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:45 - Apr 14 with 802 viewsJackFish

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:16 - Apr 14 by tomdickharry

Maybe he did want him, but after spending £20m+ on Bony, Shelvey etc. I don't think we would have been forking out another £9m for a centre half when we already had Chico and Amat.
Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:48 - Apr 14 with 796 viewsIAN05

Are we sleepwalking to disaster. on 21:37 - Apr 14 by morningstar

Really? Bony has got the goals this season Ian, but do you know how many points they have gained us? 2. A goal in the draw against Stoke, and the goal against Arsenal. All of his other goals have been in games that we have lost, or won comfortably anyway.

Yeah, was looking at that the other day, but its everything else he brings that we couldn't cope without. His link up play and assists, not to mention the work he does defensively.

Equally important, who would you play in his absence ?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024