Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lee Mason 20:52 - May 27 with 1915 viewsWrightUp5hit___

While Mason somehow got good ratings from the pundits for managing to get a couple of big decisions right, I thought he still managed to get a lot of things wrong on Saturday, and not just some crap decisions

Just re watching for the umpteenth time and looking at the sending off (rather than Bobby Zamora and the goal) sure he gave himself time in making his decision, but lipreading he just turns round and and says "off".

All the attitude of someone with real issues.

Big red card, little dick perhaps
Lee Mason on 20:56 - May 27 with 1881 viewsloftboy

What's be going to say "excuse me mr oneil, would one awfully mind stepping off the pitch, there's a good lad"

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Lee Mason on 21:32 - May 27 with 1824 viewsderbyhoop

First 5-10 minutes, I thought he was going to be pernickety. But having set his stall out he was fine from there on.

No doubt about the red card. Can't really quibble about any other decision. He could have booked Hughes for diving. I think he lost his footing. Possibly needn't have booked BZ for celebrating but those are the regulations.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Lee Mason on 21:40 - May 27 with 1793 viewsQPR_John

Lee Mason on 20:56 - May 27 by loftboy

What's be going to say "excuse me mr oneil, would one awfully mind stepping off the pitch, there's a good lad"

No he walks up to O'Neil and shows the red card no need to say anything
Lee Mason on 21:52 - May 27 with 1767 viewsdachiltern

Lee Mason on 21:40 - May 27 by QPR_John

No he walks up to O'Neil and shows the red card no need to say anything

The card is for the benefit of everyone around, technically he should speak with the player.

Unfortunately Mr Mason has a certain arrogance when refereeing but until there are more referees coming through there will always be refs with this approach.

Out of interest, why did he go to his assistant? Couldn't be to check if it was a pen as this was easy to discuss over the radio system.
Lee Mason on 22:03 - May 27 with 1735 viewsQPR_John

Lee Mason on 21:52 - May 27 by dachiltern

The card is for the benefit of everyone around, technically he should speak with the player.

Unfortunately Mr Mason has a certain arrogance when refereeing but until there are more referees coming through there will always be refs with this approach.

Out of interest, why did he go to his assistant? Couldn't be to check if it was a pen as this was easy to discuss over the radio system.

I take your point I should have said no need to say anything the way he did.

I assumed it was to determine if Hill could have stopped the Derby player but as you say he could have used the radio system. Maybe the walk allowed him to be dramatic.
Lee Mason on 22:03 - May 27 with 1733 viewsMatch82

Lee Mason on 21:52 - May 27 by dachiltern

Big decision, probably just to check if the linesman saw the same things as he did
(outside the box, last man)

At the time I was livid about the decision. In hindsight, I'm not sure it's clear cut (there's an argument that Hill could have got back, if you take this as "a player" and not "Clint Hill" - which technically is what you're meant to do) but probably the right call. More so when O Neil admitted that he thought it was a red.
Lee Mason on 22:09 - May 27 with 1706 viewsDWQPR

Lee Mason on 21:32 - May 27 by derbyhoop

First 5-10 minutes, I thought he was going to be pernickety. But having set his stall out he was fine from there on.

No doubt about the red card. Can't really quibble about any other decision. He could have booked Hughes for diving. I think he lost his footing. Possibly needn't have booked BZ for celebrating but those are the regulations.

Hughes did not slip, he tried to con Mason, just look at his reaction towards the linesman after the appeal was turns down. Shame Dunne didn't get the opportunity to step on his neck, by accident of course.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Lee Mason on 22:12 - May 27 with 1698 viewsGetMeRangers

Everyone sees things differently. sitting up in 502, it was a clear a red as I could imagine, with Clint too far away to get back in time. It also looked a very good scoring opportunity (my heart sank before O'Neill chopped his legs away)

Given our history with Mason and his quickness to card Derry, I was reassured by him walking over to the linesman. The clip of him mouthing off to the linesman as he walked back (seen later on the highlights) suggested to me that he was confirming that they had both reached the same conclusion

Walking over rather than using the radio will have allowed him to remain clear of any player's committee who wanted to share their thoughts with him?
Login to get fewer ads

Lee Mason on 22:39 - May 27 with 1617 viewsPinnerPaul

Yet again no one bothers to mention that he HAS to be moving towards goal.

Could be a rugby tackle but if not moving towards gaol, not a red.
Lee Mason on 22:45 - May 27 with 1598 viewsHollowayRanger

if that had been austin chopped down and only a yellow card given there would be riots

hill dunne never going to get there o'neil gambled and THANK THE GODS WE GOT LUCKY

for me he should have let him go and had faith in green to save the shot

worst case 0-1 down 30mins to go just like via wigan

best case green saves 0-0 11 v 11

i thought ref was good gave him an 8 my biggest gudge via him was 93min one of them tries an overhead kick barton bravely sticks his head in way to save the day ref gives corner to them ,should have been freekick to us for dangerous play!

as for dive yes ,dunne did nick him and yes he did then dive if ref was against us he had perfect chance to give them pen there and then but didnt so im happy

Listen to the band play!
Poll: How much will you pay for adult season ticket next season if in championship

Lee Mason on 22:49 - May 27 with 1594 viewsFredManRave

The first thing that will always be asked of a referee is that they get the big decisions right and as a result don't affect the outcome of the game. Mason did just that.

The second thing that will always be asked is that they ref the game such that the ball falls to your striker in the 90th minute and he despatches it, with aplomb and without any intereference from said referee. Mason did just that.

As for the size of his dick, I have absolutely no idea.

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Lee Mason on 23:21 - May 27 with 1551 viewscarrotcrunch_R

Lee Mason on 22:45 - May 27 by HollowayRanger

if that had been austin chopped down and only a yellow card given there would be riots

hill dunne never going to get there o'neil gambled and THANK THE GODS WE GOT LUCKY

for me he should have let him go and had faith in green to save the shot

worst case 0-1 down 30mins to go just like via wigan

best case green saves 0-0 11 v 11

i thought ref was good gave him an 8 my biggest gudge via him was 93min one of them tries an overhead kick barton bravely sticks his head in way to save the day ref gives corner to them ,should have been freekick to us for dangerous play!

as for dive yes ,dunne did nick him and yes he did then dive if ref was against us he had perfect chance to give them pen there and then but didnt so im happy

Spot on
Lee Mason on 23:22 - May 27 with 1546 viewsHunterhoop

I'm not sue it was a red as much as people say and didn't think so at the time.

The angle he's running at is about 1 o clock with the goal at 11 o clock so not directly toward it. Hill was covering back. He probably wasn't going to get there and their paths would have crossed with Hill behind, so the shot would have been got away, but a "clear goal scoring opportunity". Maybe, but it wasn't a true 1-1 running at the keeper as he comes out, or rounding the keeper and being brought down or being hauled back with a tap in. He was still 20 yards out when challenged and, like a say, wasn't running directly at the goal but at an angle away.

I don't think it was a bad decision but neither would a yellow have been. I can see both cases.

I do, however, think it was a bad decision from O'Neill. it was no more than 50/50 he'd score. This is the Championship and we have Green in goal and it wasn't a tap in. Even 1-0 down with 11 men, we would still have a higher % chance of getting equal and winning than playing 30mins with 10 men and winning. Obviously we won so it worked out, but I think the odds meant he should have let him go. If he were to be in that position again with 30 to play, he should let him go in my book.
Lee Mason on 08:35 - May 28 with 1420 viewsWrightUp5hit___

Jeez guys, the OP was not contesting the sending off, that in myy opion, is pretty much a certainty from the moment Gaz launched.

While I agree the ref can't go all supportive and cuddly when dishing out a red card, it was the completely contemptuous manner in which Mason did the deed.

But then again I doubt he cares.
Lee Mason on 10:13 - May 28 with 1340 viewssmegma

Lee Mason is a c-nt. Always has been always will be.
Lee Mason on 10:17 - May 28 with 1335 viewsdaveB

Lee Mason on 23:22 - May 27 by Hunterhoop

I'm not sue it was a red as much as people say and didn't think so at the time.

The angle he's running at is about 1 o clock with the goal at 11 o clock so not directly toward it. Hill was covering back. He probably wasn't going to get there and their paths would have crossed with Hill behind, so the shot would have been got away, but a "clear goal scoring opportunity". Maybe, but it wasn't a true 1-1 running at the keeper as he comes out, or rounding the keeper and being brought down or being hauled back with a tap in. He was still 20 yards out when challenged and, like a say, wasn't running directly at the goal but at an angle away.

I don't think it was a bad decision but neither would a yellow have been. I can see both cases.

I do, however, think it was a bad decision from O'Neill. it was no more than 50/50 he'd score. This is the Championship and we have Green in goal and it wasn't a tap in. Even 1-0 down with 11 men, we would still have a higher % chance of getting equal and winning than playing 30mins with 10 men and winning. Obviously we won so it worked out, but I think the odds meant he should have let him go. If he were to be in that position again with 30 to play, he should let him go in my book.

Rob Green was on 5live the other night and said it was on the players weaker foot as well so he didn't think O'Neil needed to make the tackle.

I still think the red was harsh as it wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, he still had a lot to do but it was pretty cynical of O'Neil so it wasn't a howler by the ref who I thought had a good game.

The only plus of it at the time was that he was the one player we could do without, if it had been Barton or Dunne we'd have been screwed.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024