Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Davies to Spurs?.. 15:47 - Jun 29 with 35884 viewsAtleticoAbertawe

No idea how reliable this report is but apparently Spurs have "in principle" agreed terms with Ben Davies.

http://www.sportinastorm.com/mobile//Premier-League/Tottenham-Hotspur/Spurs-agre
[Post edited 29 Jun 2014 15:54]

"If you bring in £80, then don’t spend £100. That’s not hard, is it?" - Huw Jenkins 2013

Davies to Spurs?.. on 10:45 - Jul 1 with 2232 viewsNeath_Jack

I have no idea of the transfer fees being spoken about, but talks are on-going and he is keen to go to Spurs, another club has got involved now as well though.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 10:52 - Jul 1 with 2208 viewsDarran

Bens a very good player but based on a lot of last season he's clearly still got a lot to learn,he wants to be careful he doesn't become another Richard Duffy.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:02 - Jul 1 with 2187 viewsAnotherJohn

Davies to Spurs?.. on 10:52 - Jul 1 by Darran

Bens a very good player but based on a lot of last season he's clearly still got a lot to learn,he wants to be careful he doesn't become another Richard Duffy.

I'm still trying to work out Darren's earlier remark about Huw (who is indeed one to respect). Is Daz saying that Huw is too shrewd to sell Ben for 8 million, or is it rather that Ben must only be worth 8 million if that is what Huw is proposing? Much as I bow to Huw's superior judgement about most things, I will be gutted if we unload for under 10 m. With the other stories about likely bids surfacing, Huw should forget about talking to Levy, period.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:08 - Jul 1 with 2168 viewsDarran

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:02 - Jul 1 by AnotherJohn

I'm still trying to work out Darren's earlier remark about Huw (who is indeed one to respect). Is Daz saying that Huw is too shrewd to sell Ben for 8 million, or is it rather that Ben must only be worth 8 million if that is what Huw is proposing? Much as I bow to Huw's superior judgement about most things, I will be gutted if we unload for under 10 m. With the other stories about likely bids surfacing, Huw should forget about talking to Levy, period.

I was saying Huws too shrewd.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:28 - Jul 1 with 2104 viewsScoobyWho

Davies to Spurs?.. on 15:51 - Jun 29 by MattG

"Davies is also ready to move on to continue his development and is keen on the switch to White Hart Lane where he will earn ten times the salary he is currently on at the Liberty Stadium.

The former Swansea apprentice was on as little as £400-a-week when he broke into the first team two years ago, before he signed a new contract that quadrupled his earnings just under two years ago."

So we're paying Ben just £1600 a week? If that's true then we don't deserve to keep him.

Yeah, but it's not true is it.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:36 - Jul 1 with 2058 viewsDarran

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:28 - Jul 1 by ScoobyWho

It was in the paper mun.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:39 - Jul 1 with 2047 viewsMattG

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:28 - Jul 1 by ScoobyWho

Others have suggested not, which is fine.

In any case, my point was that IF it was true then it should be no surprise and we could have no real complaint that he'd look positively at an approach (and the associated wage increase) from Spurs.

All little more than paper talk, at the moment in any case - just have to wait and see.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:55 - Jul 1 with 2017 viewsNeath_Jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:39 - Jul 1 by MattG

Others have suggested not, which is fine.

In any case, my point was that IF it was true then it should be no surprise and we could have no real complaint that he'd look positively at an approach (and the associated wage increase) from Spurs.

All little more than paper talk, at the moment in any case - just have to wait and see.

Spurs are a massive club, i don't believe wages would be the factor that turns his head.

Its not paper talk, the only thing up for debate is the figures that are being bandied about how much he will go for.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.

Login to get fewer ads

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:59 - Jul 1 with 1997 viewsScoobyWho

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:36 - Jul 1 by Darran

It was in the paper mun.

Ah, the paper, of course.

DGT Bullshit Connoisseur.
Poll: Election 2015 Thread : Who will you vote for ?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:04 - Jul 1 with 1977 viewsTom1912

Davies to Spurs?.. on 11:55 - Jul 1 by Neath_Jack

Spurs are a massive club, i don't believe wages would be the factor that turns his head.

Its not paper talk, the only thing up for debate is the figures that are being bandied about how much he will go for.

No one from either club has commented yet so how is it not still paper talk at the moment?
Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:10 - Jul 1 with 1956 viewsNeath_Jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:04 - Jul 1 by Tom1912

No one from either club has commented yet so how is it not still paper talk at the moment?

Ok, I'm completely making everything up in this thread, because i want attention.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:33 - Jul 1 with 1858 viewslondonlisa2001

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:10 - Jul 1 by Neath_Jack

Ok, I'm completely making everything up in this thread, because i want attention.

I think I'm alone in my thinking on this one.

The way I see it, is that we have 2 quality left backs and some other positions in the squad where we need quality added.

We may have therefore made a decision to 'cash in' on one of the left backs since it appears that we can't really continue to keep both of them happy. We perhaps don't believe that one of the left backs is so much worse than the other that it would hinder our own performance in the league and so will cash in on the one where we can raise more money which I would imagine is Davies rather than Taylor.

I personally, and this is where I think I may be alone, thought that Ben, although obviously very talented, was a real weakness in our back line at times last year - a lot of goals seemed to me at least to come from him being out of position, or being unable to prevent balls coming across from that flank.

I, as much as anyone, like the idea of local players in our team, but I think that Ben gets away without too much criticism because of him being 'one of ours'.

If we do sell him, then I imagine that Huw and the board will get as much as they think they can. Not saying we will sell, but just thinking that may be the thinking. I personally, really believe we need a new centre back as a priority and also a new right back (love Rangel, but he was getting noticeably slower last season) and maybe we will see some spending in that area. All just opinions of course - who knows how it will all pan out.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:37 - Jul 1 with 1841 viewsDarran

Thought so.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:51 - Jul 1 with 1764 viewsNeath_Jack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:37 - Jul 1 by Darran

Thought so.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:55 - Jul 1 with 1740 viewsUxbridge

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:33 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

The way I see it, is that we have 2 quality left backs and some other positions in the squad where we need quality added.

We may have therefore made a decision to 'cash in' on one of the left backs since it appears that we can't really continue to keep both of them happy. We perhaps don't believe that one of the left backs is so much worse than the other that it would hinder our own performance in the league and so will cash in on the one where we can raise more money which I would imagine is Davies rather than Taylor.

I personally, and this is where I think I may be alone, thought that Ben, although obviously very talented, was a real weakness in our back line at times last year - a lot of goals seemed to me at least to come from him being out of position, or being unable to prevent balls coming across from that flank.

I, as much as anyone, like the idea of local players in our team, but I think that Ben gets away without too much criticism because of him being 'one of ours'.

If we do sell him, then I imagine that Huw and the board will get as much as they think they can. Not saying we will sell, but just thinking that may be the thinking. I personally, really believe we need a new centre back as a priority and also a new right back (love Rangel, but he was getting noticeably slower last season) and maybe we will see some spending in that area. All just opinions of course - who knows how it will all pan out.

If we're going to cash in on one, I'd rather it wasn't the first team regular.

Don't quite buy the "local boy gets free ride from crowd" argument either. Historically the locals have had it much worse as I'm sure the likes of Coates and O'Leary could testify.

Blog: Whose money is it anyway?

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:59 - Jul 1 with 1719 viewslondonlisa2001

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:55 - Jul 1 by Uxbridge

If we're going to cash in on one, I'd rather it wasn't the first team regular.

Don't quite buy the "local boy gets free ride from crowd" argument either. Historically the locals have had it much worse as I'm sure the likes of Coates and O'Leary could testify.

to be fair, it wouldn't have mattered where Coates came from :-)

As I said, I think I'm probably on my own in not really getting the Ben love-in - I would play Taylor over him every time, but obviously realise that most wouldn't.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:00 - Jul 1 with 1713 viewsMattG

With respect, just because you say something doesn't mean the rest of us have to take it as gospel. You may well have some ITK information that you can't or don't wish to share with us which is fair enough, however without some substance to your claims, they are, if anything, worth even less than paper talk.

With respect, as I say.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:06 - Jul 1 with 1694 viewsUxbridge

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:59 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

to be fair, it wouldn't have mattered where Coates came from :-)

As I said, I think I'm probably on my own in not really getting the Ben love-in - I would play Taylor over him every time, but obviously realise that most wouldn't.

Well ... there was a time when this very thread could have taken place for young Coatesy. Oh how different things could have been for him.

Ben's a much better player for me, but s'all opinions of course. Given selection last season the club seem to agree with me, which is why I find it strange that there seems an acceptance to let him go and replace with a player they would only put into the team in an absolute emergency.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:16 - Jul 1 with 1650 viewsDrizzy

£10m is a massive fee for Ben and it would be smart business to accept. That's our estimated transfer budget increased by 50% immediately. Equally as damaging as under-selling players is holding to them for too long. The same band of people saying there's no need to accept anything less than ridiculous money were saying the same about Michu when there were talks of £20m+ bids and look how that turned out.

Just because we have lots of money doesn't mean we shouldn't be smart with it. Take care of the pennies...

Oh and for the record, Livermore is quality young central midfielder which is a position much more valued than full-back. £8m is a tad steep but that's only because he's English.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:17 - Jul 1 with 1646 viewsDaggyjack

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:06 - Jul 1 by Uxbridge

Well ... there was a time when this very thread could have taken place for young Coatesy. Oh how different things could have been for him.

Ben's a much better player for me, but s'all opinions of course. Given selection last season the club seem to agree with me, which is why I find it strange that there seems an acceptance to let him go and replace with a player they would only put into the team in an absolute emergency.

I wouldn't say that Taylor was used only as an emergency. He was one of the mainstay's of our defence in the first season and is a better defender than Ben at present.
I would have no concerns about playing Taylor and selling Ben (at the right price, which I'm sure Huw will do).
It may be that we get £8 million + Siggy in loan for the season included in the deal (meaning we don't buy JDG). We may get another LB in (Alonso?). Spurs may not offer enough and we turn it down. Whatever happens, I'm pretty confident that Huw knows what he's doing.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:18 - Jul 1 with 1638 viewsmonmouth

Davies to Spurs?.. on 12:33 - Jul 1 by londonlisa2001

Totally agree with the thrust of this. We know we cant keep both happy so, If Spurs have come in (and of course Ben would want to talk to them, he'd be batshaky crazy not to) then we may think that there is a deal to be done that is best for all parties over the piece. So, as neefy says, just a matter of whether some kind of mutually acceptable deal can be thrashed out.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:18 - Jul 1 with 1638 viewslondonlisa2001

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:06 - Jul 1 by Uxbridge

Oh I know that the club agrees with you - as I said, I honestly think I'm on my own re Ben (although actually my Dad thinks the same - perhaps it's just a family thing) !!

Anyway - I think that it's completely possible that all of this is nonsense as so much is in the papers at the moment.
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:22 - Jul 1 with 1613 viewsUxbridge

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:17 - Jul 1 by Daggyjack

I wouldn't say that Taylor was used only as an emergency. He was one of the mainstay's of our defence in the first season and is a better defender than Ben at present.
I would have no concerns about playing Taylor and selling Ben (at the right price, which I'm sure Huw will do).
It may be that we get £8 million + Siggy in loan for the season included in the deal (meaning we don't buy JDG). We may get another LB in (Alonso?). Spurs may not offer enough and we turn it down. Whatever happens, I'm pretty confident that Huw knows what he's doing.

Given that Tiendalli was preferred on the pitch to Taylor at times, then I stand by my comment.

£8m plus Gylfi? There's a tester. I wouldn't go for Alonso personally ... decent in attack but lacking in defence. Not unlike Davies at times last season I concede.

Should be a fun battle between Huw and Levy though.

Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:22 - Jul 1 with 1610 viewsWarwickHunt

Davies to Spurs?.. on 09:42 - Jul 1 by Uxbridge

Because if someone offers market value for a player we should sell them.

Nope - but if he wants to go he'll go for market value which will be closer to £8m than £30m.

I suspect we'll find out soon enough...
Davies to Spurs?.. on 13:24 - Jul 1 with 1595 viewsDrizzy

Davies to Spurs?.. on 09:39 - Jul 1 by WarwickHunt

Well, if Spurs offer 8 or 9 and we're in any sort of discussion with them I'm sure another club will step in with much bigger offer if he's such an obvious bargain...

You'd think he was Roberto Carlos with the way some are valuing him.

Was very exposed last season and quite poor defensively especially in the latter half of the season. We conceded an awful lot of goals from crosses on his side.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024