Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
They stand among us! 00:06 - Mar 17 with 10804 viewsAmpadu

It's was so sad to see and hear so many Liverpool fans sitting/standing among us tonight. I know many Swans fans have supported "bigger" teams aswell as Swansea but to openly talk about it like the conversation I overheard...." I'd rather liverpool have the points because they are pushing for the top four" For me, this is disgusting behaviour. You know who you are...
[Post edited 17 Mar 2015 0:20]

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.

They stand among us! on 09:35 - Mar 18 with 1977 viewsperchrockjack

Wrong again.

Wrong assumptions

Rugby is NOT a minority sport in NZ, Parts of oz, southern france and many parts of the north -MINING AREAS TOO.

Its football that has a chip, hence the hatred of the game, hence the ridiculous "egg" drivel and the wives getting beat up crap.

It does show we all love squabbling and also massive hypocrites because many "egg chasers" would have been watching the last game and not getting involved.
Its entirely possible to love both..

oh and its a fact that world wide we ARE seen as a rugby country

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

They stand among us! on 09:44 - Mar 18 with 1974 viewsjack247

They stand among us! on 08:36 - Mar 18 by Sirjohnalot

Rugby being my first sport, I've never understood why fans can't mix. Who cares if bloke next to you is supporting the other side or a young Swansea supporter has a Gerrard foam hand ? It does nothing to detract from the atmosphere, in fact in enhances it.

I've been to many 6 Nations games and back in the 80s club rugby where everyone is mixed and it's great fun, good laugh and enjoy the game and, horror of horror, appreciate good a try from the other side.

Club rugby was very tribal and during the game, of course you want you team to win. I was in a pub in Nice on Saturday surrounded by Irish supporters screaming my head if for Wales. Was there any hint of trouble ? Was there arse. Everyone enjoyed the game and had a few bees after.

Irish boys were singing, I joined in.

Aggression on the pitch, not off it.

It's the future, like garlic bread.

Mainly because most football fans don't want a rugby style atmosphere at games. Every rugby game I have been to (admitedly it's around 10) has had a brilliant atmosphere pre game but has been flat as a pancake when the game is on. That includes the last game of the grand slam against France a few years ago. I'm not interested in clapping good goals scored by the opposition or having a cosy chat with a Liverpool fan sitting next to me. To create a good atmosphere, there has to be a little bit of needle and the best and safest way to do that is to keep opposing fans apart.

Don't mean to sound patronising, but if you want that kind of atmosphere, stick to rugby.
They stand among us! on 09:44 - Mar 18 with 1974 viewsTreforys_Jack

Still a minority sport in the big picture.
They stand among us! on 09:52 - Mar 18 with 1963 viewsperchrockjack

Depends where the big picture is

point is. where.

Many DETEST FOOTBALL, hate the lying, the grotesque money, the TV coverage, the excess,the cheating and the bad role models of thickoes that really show there s no need for an education.

World wide it IS

There again ICE hockey, AmerIcan Football ,Basketball and Baseball are......WORLD WIDE

Cricket utterly meaningless ,arcane and unheard of in most countries WORLDWIDE.

They stand among us! on 10:13 - Mar 18 with 1950 viewsdantheswansman

I know people who support two team`s , Now this is two teams in premier league , Supported Liverpool for years but as soon as Swansea got promotion he jumped on the bandwaggon.
Goes on all the groups bigging up the Swans , acting like he has supported them all his life.

Personally i don't understand how you can support two teams like this plastic prick.But every club got complete Bell Ends that you would rather go support someone else altogether .
They stand among us! on 10:38 - Mar 18 with 1936 viewsjack247

They stand among us! on 09:35 - Mar 18 by perchrockjack

Wrong again.

Wrong assumptions

Rugby is NOT a minority sport in NZ, Parts of oz, southern france and many parts of the north -MINING AREAS TOO.

Its football that has a chip, hence the hatred of the game, hence the ridiculous "egg" drivel and the wives getting beat up crap.

It does show we all love squabbling and also massive hypocrites because many "egg chasers" would have been watching the last game and not getting involved.
Its entirely possible to love both..

oh and its a fact that world wide we ARE seen as a rugby country

Sorry Perch, but by that logic, sumo wrestling isn't a minority sport because it is big in Japan, Gaelic football in Ireland etc.

People worldwide (and indeed ignorant people in Wales) perceive us as a Rugby country because

a. We are genuinely competitive at it
b. They see the Millenium Stadium packed out for 6N and AI games and think that's what it is like every week. They don't see the Ospreys taking a month to get one Swans attendance, with £100 season tickets, kids for a quid or whatever promotions they run. They don't realise that a good proportion of the crowd at Wales games are there for the day out more than the game and wouldn't be seen dead supporting their region.

I enjoy rugby immensely, but see it as an excuse for a good piss up as much as anything else, it's almost a halfway house between football and darts in terms of what I enjoy about it and I think I am fairly typical of the Welsh public, I just admit it.

Look at participation levels for both in Sunday league games etc if you don't believe me.

I agree that worldwide we are seen as a rugby country, but you must be able to see that is an incorrect perception at best, lazy stereotype at worst.

I also agree that it's possible to love both games and I really enjoy both. It annoys me when people look down on rugby fans, some of them are just as passionate about their sport as football fans. I would rather support both local and international teams and save the animosity for Cardiff and England.
They stand among us! on 10:44 - Mar 18 with 1931 viewsBrynmill_Jack

They stand among us! on 08:47 - Mar 18 by ScoobyWho

To compare rugby to football is completely wrong.

This comparison happens too often and with a degree of oneupmanship and a holier than tho' attitude in most cases.

Rugby is a minority sport and football is a worldwide game, I agree with your general behaviour code, but it doesn't happen in general, thats the issue, as much as it doesn't happen in most cases in football. Rugby has always had its code of ethics off the pitch, and for me that is about all it has ever had. For me football invokes a far more tribal passion, a deeper energy and soul. And for that reason rugby has no place in comparison to football as much as cycling doesn't to golf.

I suggest you pick another sport to compare your virtuous halo shrouded sport to, monkey tennis maybe ?

Oh don't start. I love monkey tennis. My favourite player is Andy Macaque

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

They stand among us! on 13:57 - Mar 18 with 1878 viewsmonkeymike

Kick them down a few rows
Login to get fewer ads

They stand among us! on 15:16 - Mar 18 with 1845 viewsperchrockjack

sorry to disagree but put it this way..
Talk to your average sports fans world wide and if they ve heard of Wales at all, as an international team, it ll be Rugby not football, nainly because apart from 58 we ve been nowhere world wide and will continue to be.

Its a matter of perception ..

Sumo wrestling? Interesting analogy but well put and I thank you

They stand among us! on 15:41 - Mar 18 with 1835 viewsSirjohnalot

Ladies and gents, I'm not going to get involved in a 'rugby is better than football' debate as neither is, they are different. My point was simply that I've been to many a rugby game where the atmosphere is incredible.

Look at The Lions tours, sensational atmosphere, no need for 'needle' between supporters. It's a game, of course you want to win, more than anything, but that doesn't mean you can't have a laugh with the opposition fan next to you.

Does anyone not think that an opposition fan being in the wrong end potentially being in mither if he shouts for his team is very, very wrong ?

Again, I love football but have never understood why fans can't all just watch the match together.
They stand among us! on 16:28 - Mar 18 with 1815 viewsjack247

They stand among us! on 15:16 - Mar 18 by perchrockjack

sorry to disagree but put it this way..
Talk to your average sports fans world wide and if they ve heard of Wales at all, as an international team, it ll be Rugby not football, nainly because apart from 58 we ve been nowhere world wide and will continue to be.

Its a matter of perception ..

Sumo wrestling? Interesting analogy but well put and I thank you

I agree. I have no doubt that we are thought of as a rugby nation worldwide. In my opinion it is an incorrect stereotype though. As good as rugby is, it simply doesn't compete with football for people's allegiance. Plastic Scousers and Mancs are bigger competition to the Swans than the Ospreys are. It's not about 7 or 8 games a year, for it to be our national sport, like it is in NZ, people have to be interested in it all the time.
They stand among us! on 16:32 - Mar 18 with 1809 viewsjack247

They stand among us! on 15:41 - Mar 18 by Sirjohnalot

Ladies and gents, I'm not going to get involved in a 'rugby is better than football' debate as neither is, they are different. My point was simply that I've been to many a rugby game where the atmosphere is incredible.

Look at The Lions tours, sensational atmosphere, no need for 'needle' between supporters. It's a game, of course you want to win, more than anything, but that doesn't mean you can't have a laugh with the opposition fan next to you.

Does anyone not think that an opposition fan being in the wrong end potentially being in mither if he shouts for his team is very, very wrong ?

Again, I love football but have never understood why fans can't all just watch the match together.

That pretty much sums it up for me. Rugby and football are vastly different off the pitch. Rugby probably wouldn't work as well if the crowds were segregated. I wouldn't want a football crowd to turn into a rugby crowd and I'm pretty sure rugby fans wouldn't want the reverse.

Lions tours are held every four years, every 12 for the home country. They are special occasions, you can't compare them to league games.
They stand among us! on 16:41 - Mar 18 with 1801 viewsmonmouth

People follow success. If the welsh football team were successful, rugby would have seven shades of sh*t kicked out of it for popularity in all aspects, except for a p1ss up day out in the big sh1tty for for fat valley slags and thick valley apes. It already has been munched in terms of TV viewers, which is all that is important these days, and in playing numbers for that matter.

I say that as someone that is interested in both, at least since Lewis has now been flushed down the u bend where he belongs. When Wales hit their next fallow 10 years though (possibly after the next WC) I think it is probably stuffed anyway. They can't fill the stadium for anyone except England (and probably because of the plastic Irish support, Ireland).

As to fans, it's got much much nastier over the years. I wouldn't be surprised to see segregation at some stage. Sport IS tribal now. Even frigging tennis.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

They stand among us! on 16:53 - Mar 18 with 1785 viewscanhecatchit

Well football fans always used to mix in together right up until the early 70's at the Vetch. I always used to be in with the away fans in the South Enclosure. It was the later 70;s tat they started to segregate fans at the Vetch

Swansea City, my one and only love , oh and then there's the Wife

They stand among us! on 17:02 - Mar 18 with 1769 viewsmonmouth

They stand among us! on 16:53 - Mar 18 by canhecatchit

Well football fans always used to mix in together right up until the early 70's at the Vetch. I always used to be in with the away fans in the South Enclosure. It was the later 70;s tat they started to segregate fans at the Vetch

I did that in our 3rd Div promotion season (1978 or 9?). Rotherham and Tranny, fabulous fun and comradeship, Swindon less so...thank God they won. After that I stuck to the NB.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

They stand among us! on 17:08 - Mar 18 with 1734 viewsPrivate_Partz

They stand among us! on 16:53 - Mar 18 by canhecatchit

There were some very dark years in the late 60's and early 70s when segregation was urgently needed but home fans were just allowed to run around grounds and get stuck into away fans without any hindrance. I witnessed violence at such hot spots as Wrexham and Chester! The worst, and comfortably the earliest, I experienced crowd violence was at Ninian Park.
Anyone remember Curley's Mob? A fine bunch of Swans fans that supported the club home and away. The group eventually petered out due to being attacked at virtually every away game. It just was not worth it.
Crowd segregation and severe punishment for crimes of violence have ensured those who came to watch matches purely to attack opposition fans are now few and far between. Long may it continue.
[Post edited 18 Mar 2015 17:10]

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

They stand among us! on 17:41 - Mar 18 with 1715 viewsDewi1jack

They stand among us! on 22:32 - Mar 17 by JBT95

No it wouldn't be any good if we could mix like the rugby.

Why would you want to sit/stand amongst supporters of the other team during a match? There's no logic, just like chasing an egg.

Don't want to
Sometimes just no choice.
It's either go in with the home fans (away end sold out) or not watch us play live

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

They stand among us! on 18:45 - Mar 18 with 1697 viewsjack247

They stand among us! on 17:41 - Mar 18 by Dewi1jack

Don't want to
Sometimes just no choice.
It's either go in with the home fans (away end sold out) or not watch us play live

That is completely different to celebrating in the home end when Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal score against your home town team though. If you are going to do it, and I guess it happens a lot when these teams are in town, have the common sense not to aggravate people sitting around you.

Happens in the West every time we play a big club. I'm sure there are hundreds more in there, but they have the common sense to keep a low profile.
They stand among us! on 19:41 - Mar 18 with 1672 viewsDewi1jack

They stand among us! on 18:45 - Mar 18 by jack247

That is completely different to celebrating in the home end when Liverpool/Man Utd/Chelsea/Arsenal score against your home town team though. If you are going to do it, and I guess it happens a lot when these teams are in town, have the common sense not to aggravate people sitting around you.

Happens in the West every time we play a big club. I'm sure there are hundreds more in there, but they have the common sense to keep a low profile.

It's one of the hardest things not to celebrate when we score and I'm in the 'wrong' end.
Can't even politely applaud (got away with a clap or yep a few times just! Put on the most ridiculous American accent when questioned)
I know the 'away' fans in the East in the past got a few slaps on their way out of the ground, helped unceremoniously by the stewards (slaps and getting out of the ground). I expect the same when I'm in the home end and we're away, hence trying to keep my head down- I'm ugly enough now before someone slaps me!!
Personally IMHO, the stewards/ plod should have checked any away fan caught in the home end for tickets and if they'd come in on a ST, then the person who sold/ lent them should be charged with touting and lose their ST for 3 years as well as the fine for football ticket touting.

http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/ticket-touting-and-football.htm

That should stop the profiteering on Facetw@ etc

If you wake up breathing, thats a good start to your day and you'll make many thousands of people envious.

They stand among us! on 20:41 - Mar 18 with 1648 viewsperchrockjack

Its a simple question.

You re a Swansea kid, your dad takes you to see the Swans for the first time.

Why then in later years "support" a club 200 miles way.

I can understand more a London club but not a north west one

They stand among us! on 21:04 - Mar 18 with 1638 viewsWxmJax

They stand among us! on 20:41 - Mar 18 by perchrockjack

Its a simple question.

You re a Swansea kid, your dad takes you to see the Swans for the first time.

Why then in later years "support" a club 200 miles way.

I can understand more a London club but not a north west one

Because the North West is nearer ?

Poll: England, General Election: How are you going to vote ?

They stand among us! on 21:58 - Mar 18 with 1621 viewssherpajacob

They stand among us! on 20:27 - Mar 17 by cackinthesackjack

This would never have happened at the Vetch.

Why the feck didn't someone crack these b@stards!

It did happen at the vetch
Not people wearing the opposition's shirts, but I remember a thread in the old jackmail fanzine rightly complaining about people wearing Liverpool and man utd shirts on the north bank.
This was in the days when we were in the old div 4 and replica shirts were only just becoming popular. Plus the club shop was a spare room in a terraced house.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

They stand among us! on 22:29 - Mar 18 with 1597 viewscentrestandjack

PERCHROCK WHERE IN THE WORLD HAVE YOU TALKED TO PEOPLE WHO HAVE REGARDED US AS A RUGBY NATION?
They stand among us! on 22:37 - Mar 18 with 1587 viewsLeonisGod

They stand among us! on 09:52 - Mar 18 by perchrockjack

Depends where the big picture is

point is. where.

Many DETEST FOOTBALL, hate the lying, the grotesque money, the TV coverage, the excess,the cheating and the bad role models of thickoes that really show there s no need for an education.

World wide it IS

There again ICE hockey, AmerIcan Football ,Basketball and Baseball are......WORLD WIDE

Cricket utterly meaningless ,arcane and unheard of in most countries WORLDWIDE.

Didn't think that sounded right. Cricket has to be up there as one of the most watched and played sports in the world. So did a quick google and it seems 'biggest' (most watched) sports are:
1. Footie (no surprise there)
2. Cricket (that makes sense too given the mahoosive Asian market)

http://sporteology.com/top-10-popular-sports-world/
They stand among us! on 22:46 - Mar 18 with 1579 viewsmax936

They stand among us! on 09:44 - Mar 18 by jack247

Mainly because most football fans don't want a rugby style atmosphere at games. Every rugby game I have been to (admitedly it's around 10) has had a brilliant atmosphere pre game but has been flat as a pancake when the game is on. That includes the last game of the grand slam against France a few years ago. I'm not interested in clapping good goals scored by the opposition or having a cosy chat with a Liverpool fan sitting next to me. To create a good atmosphere, there has to be a little bit of needle and the best and safest way to do that is to keep opposing fans apart.

Don't mean to sound patronising, but if you want that kind of atmosphere, stick to rugby.

You obviously never went to a Swansea v Llanelli or a Neath v Llanelli game in the past then, I went to few back in the day and there was very little friendly banter in fact none at all, without going into any detail, I haven't been to a Osprey Scarlets game or a Cardiff v Llanelli/Scarlet game, but I'll bet my last dime that the same applies these days.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024