Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wigan 19:03 - Apr 6 with 16878 viewsNR_Dale

Don't want to take the shine off today but, With Mackay gone hilly has to be in the running....
Wigan on 19:13 - Apr 6 with 7959 viewsColDale

K Hill: "Choose the chairman, not the club"

Dave Whelan seems to be giving managers no more than six months since Martinez left.
Wigan on 19:18 - Apr 6 with 7895 viewsmacro

Wigan on 19:13 - Apr 6 by ColDale

Dave Whelan seems to be giving managers no more than six months since Martinez left.

Whelan isn't chairman anymore.
Wigan on 19:19 - Apr 6 with 7876 viewspioneer

Isnt it his 20 something year old grandson running the show now?

mackay was always going to be a disaster after his Cardiff problems - I think Whelan must have been attracted to him by his similar views on race relations!
Wigan on 19:32 - Apr 6 with 7785 viewsColDale

Wigan on 19:18 - Apr 6 by macro

Whelan isn't chairman anymore.

he might not be chairman but do you think he's not pulling all the strings?
Wigan on 19:37 - Apr 6 with 7746 viewsmacro

Wigan on 19:32 - Apr 6 by ColDale

he might not be chairman but do you think he's not pulling all the strings?

According to five live no - they reckon this is the action of the grandson and chief exec
Wigan on 19:52 - Apr 6 with 7621 viewsRalphs12

Wigan on 19:37 - Apr 6 by macro

According to five live no - they reckon this is the action of the grandson and chief exec

Must be true then
Wigan on 20:03 - Apr 6 with 7552 viewsStudiousDale

Can't see Wigan not appointing before end of season given the position they're in. Can't see them appointing Hill given the position they're in. Can't see Hilly going to them with 5/6 games left given the position they're in.
Wigan on 21:06 - Apr 6 with 7318 viewsTommoRAFC

Never mind Wigan, City will be looking for a new manager at this rate!

Poll: Who will play in place of Done on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Wigan on 21:19 - Apr 6 with 7220 viewszxcvbnm

Graham Barrow still there?

Poll: Best loanee keeper

Wigan on 21:45 - Apr 6 with 7112 viewsWhiteyBFC

If offered it, he'd be off in a heartbeat.
Wigan on 21:48 - Apr 6 with 7090 viewsR17ALE

Wigan on 21:45 - Apr 6 by WhiteyBFC

If offered it, he'd be off in a heartbeat.

I doubt it. Wigan are returning to their true level. Hilly is building a long term plan here which, over time, will usurp anything Wigan will achieve, whoever the manager is.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Wigan on 22:44 - Apr 6 with 6906 viewsBrierls

Wigan on 19:37 - Apr 6 by macro

Jonathan Jackson has been 'in charge' at Wigan for years. Whelan has been the public face (and owner, obviously), and unfortunately for Wigan the public voice, but Jackson has been pulling the strings on a daily basis because Whelan is out of the country so often.

I don't for one minute think that Whelan won't have input on every important decision that is made there.
Wigan on 22:49 - Apr 6 with 6882 viewspioneer

I hope his long term plan involves sorting out the marketing department because we have a long way to go to match Wigan's crowds...and they stareted off way behind us in non league.
Wigan on 23:21 - Apr 6 with 6796 viewsflyerdale

Wigan on 19:52 - Apr 6 by Ralphs12

Must be true then

Arrggg why put that dickhead into the equation?
Wigan on 23:30 - Apr 6 with 6776 viewsBrierls

Wigan on 21:48 - Apr 6 by R17ALE

I doubt it. Wigan are returning to their true level. Hilly is building a long term plan here which, over time, will usurp anything Wigan will achieve, whoever the manager is.

If I'd read that on the bury board I'd have been laughing at them.

Wigan are a much bigger club than us now. Forget about their humble beginnings, they made massive strides under Whelan, and they've grown as a club. The had 14,500 fans at the game today, in a season where they're struggling at the bottom of the table! If they get the right manager, they have the infrastructure to do well in the Championship and in time challenge again for the Premier League.

Hilly is a different animal to his first spell here, I genuinely feel he loves the club and knows the grass isn't always greener, but lets not kid ourselves that we shouldn't be worried if Wigan come calling.
Wigan on 07:40 - Apr 7 with 6619 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 23:30 - Apr 6 by Brierls

Wigan are a much bigger club than us now. Forget about their humble beginnings, they made massive strides under Whelan, and they've grown as a club. The had 14,500 fans at the game today, in a season where they're struggling at the bottom of the table! If they get the right manager, they have the infrastructure to do well in the Championship and in time challenge again for the Premier League.

Hilly is a different animal to his first spell here, I genuinely feel he loves the club and knows the grass isn't always greener, but lets not kid ourselves that we shouldn't be worried if Wigan come calling.

I've just talked about this in the 'Hill is a great manager' thread. I agree that Wigan, once inevitably relegated, would represent a project that could interest Hilly.

However, he may be put off by the pressure of a 'return to the Premiership within two years' dictat.

We know Hilly likes to build his squads bit by bit and promote youth players. He may not be given time to do that at Wigan.

But aye, I would be worried if they came a callin'.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Wigan on 08:49 - Apr 7 with 6506 viewsColDale

Wigan on 07:40 - Apr 7 by fitzochris

I've just talked about this in the 'Hill is a great manager' thread. I agree that Wigan, once inevitably relegated, would represent a project that could interest Hilly.

However, he may be put off by the pressure of a 'return to the Premiership within two years' dictat.

We know Hilly likes to build his squads bit by bit and promote youth players. He may not be given time to do that at Wigan.

But aye, I would be worried if they came a callin'.

If / when Hill moves on, he can't afford it not to work out like it did at Barnsley or he'll forever be known as a one club manager. The ingredients would have to be right that allow him to take a club into the Premier league. If excellent managers such as Rosler and Mackay have failed, and there's no indication that Wigan as a club are prepared to back a manager like they've done previously, why would it be any different for Hill?
Wigan on 08:54 - Apr 7 with 6490 viewsfitzochris

Wigan on 08:49 - Apr 7 by ColDale

If / when Hill moves on, he can't afford it not to work out like it did at Barnsley or he'll forever be known as a one club manager. The ingredients would have to be right that allow him to take a club into the Premier league. If excellent managers such as Rosler and Mackay have failed, and there's no indication that Wigan as a club are prepared to back a manager like they've done previously, why would it be any different for Hill?

It may not be any different for Hill, which is why I doubt, as I said, he would leave if the aim is to get back to the Premiership within two seasons.

If, however, there is a realisation at Wigan that they need to take stock and rebuild, and they are willing to do that, then Hill would be their man, no question.

But let's make no mistake, the resources available to Hill at Wigan, coupled with the club's geographical location, would be a temptation, IF he was given time.

I hope not though.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Wigan on 09:12 - Apr 7 with 6438 viewsTalkingSutty

Can't agree with that, Wigan have moved on and no longer play at Springfield Park. They will probably be favourites to return straight back to the Championship and will still be receiving parachute payments from the Premiership I would imagine.

It's a great opportunity for a lot of managers but I don't see them taking a gamble on Hilly, they will want somebody with proven Championship experience and there are loads of out of work managers who might fit the bill.
Wigan on 09:27 - Apr 7 with 6402 viewsSuddenLad

Wigan on 09:12 - Apr 7 by TalkingSutty

Can't agree with that, Wigan have moved on and no longer play at Springfield Park. They will probably be favourites to return straight back to the Championship and will still be receiving parachute payments from the Premiership I would imagine.

It's a great opportunity for a lot of managers but I don't see them taking a gamble on Hilly, they will want somebody with proven Championship experience and there are loads of out of work managers who might fit the bill.

They were favourites to bounce back into the Premiership. Look what happened. How many of their 14,500 home crowd will be turning up to watch Burton on a Tuesday night ?

They may well have moved on from their dizzy heights, but they're well on the way to returning to their 'natural level'

Any new manager will have untold pressures placed on his shoulders to reverse the slide and they will be looking for someone with experience at Premiership level (or top end of the Championship at the very least) to achieve their goal.

Someone like Tony Mowbray would be a good fit.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Wigan on 09:56 - Apr 7 with 6356 viewsR17ALE

Wigan on 23:30 - Apr 6 by Brierls

What I meant was, if Hilly's long term plan can see Dale using home grown products to gradually evolve us into the Championship, then that will be far greater than Whelan's millions transforming what was a non-league club into Premiership contenders.

Don't get me wrong, Wigan's transformation is remarkable, but ours is a miracle!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Wigan on 13:43 - Apr 7 with 6180 viewspioneer

Didn't he start out at the Rochdale Observer before moving on to bigger things?
Wigan on 13:59 - Apr 7 with 6139 viewsDale23years

Wigan on 13:43 - Apr 7 by pioneer

Didn't he start out at the Rochdale Observer before moving on to bigger things?

would Keith wanna work with a 22 year old Chairman

Poll: Renewing your season ticket

Wigan on 14:44 - Apr 7 with 6068 viewsWhiteyBFC

That's the most hilarious thing I've read today.

Wigan will be certain favourites for promotion next season. They've had 8 years in the top flight. They've won a major trophy, they have £32,000,000 to come in parachute payments. 20 years ago, they were similar to Rochdale, probably smaller? But since then, they've probably done enough to now be considered a more successful club than us. More years in the top flight, same number of major trophies, played in Europe, average similar crowds (for now).

You're going to usurp them?

If you seriously think that Keith would turn them (or most clubs) down to stay at Dale, you're kidding yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wigan slump back into their usual historical status, like Oldham did, Luton too. But they'd still be a far better/bigger/more lucrative proposition than Rochdale. I mean no offence with that, but you're overachieving immensely, it's staggering what Keith's doing with you again. Yet you struggle to get 2,500 fans in to watch you in this glory era. No fanbase, no future (not at the levels above). Fingers crossed that upon a potential promotion this season you stumble upon another 4,000 or so supporters, and even then you'd have no chance in the second tier. Ask Keith. It's all about the money up there. He told us after every consecutive defeat.
Wigan on 14:49 - Apr 7 with 6058 viewsTVOS1907

Wigan on 14:44 - Apr 7 by WhiteyBFC

That's the most hilarious thing I've read today.

Wigan will be certain favourites for promotion next season. They've had 8 years in the top flight. They've won a major trophy, they have £32,000,000 to come in parachute payments. 20 years ago, they were similar to Rochdale, probably smaller? But since then, they've probably done enough to now be considered a more successful club than us. More years in the top flight, same number of major trophies, played in Europe, average similar crowds (for now).

You're going to usurp them?

If you seriously think that Keith would turn them (or most clubs) down to stay at Dale, you're kidding yourself.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wigan slump back into their usual historical status, like Oldham did, Luton too. But they'd still be a far better/bigger/more lucrative proposition than Rochdale. I mean no offence with that, but you're overachieving immensely, it's staggering what Keith's doing with you again. Yet you struggle to get 2,500 fans in to watch you in this glory era. No fanbase, no future (not at the levels above). Fingers crossed that upon a potential promotion this season you stumble upon another 4,000 or so supporters, and even then you'd have no chance in the second tier. Ask Keith. It's all about the money up there. He told us after every consecutive defeat.

Wigan's usual historical status is non-league football.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024