Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports 08:01 - Aug 18 with 11898 viewsaleanddale

Great to watch Granada Reports last night and a positive 5 minutes on our town centre.

Really positive stuff. Well done the council for trying something new and reducing business rates for 2 years. 80% reduction year one to help businesses get established.

With this and the uncovering of the roch the oil tanker is turning a corner.

Should have a town centre worth visiting in 6-12 months time.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 21:53 - Aug 19 with 3396 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 21:19 - Aug 19 by rochdaleriddler

so why respond then. People like me eh, you mean people that have the ability to see through thetosh the council spouts. I live here i shop here support the Dale home and away. The original thread stated it was great news that rochdale was featured on Granada. The new shops, just about make up for the ones that closed, including the council losing cash on the emporium. people like me......**** right off

You're just trash, and have the ability to see and speak only through your arsehole. No qualms in stating that whatsoever.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:02 - Aug 20 with 3262 viewsaleanddale

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 21:19 - Aug 19 by rochdaleriddler

so why respond then. People like me eh, you mean people that have the ability to see through thetosh the council spouts. I live here i shop here support the Dale home and away. The original thread stated it was great news that rochdale was featured on Granada. The new shops, just about make up for the ones that closed, including the council losing cash on the emporium. people like me......**** right off

So the town is struggling badly...

The council take a bold step to underwrite new business rates for 24 months ( 80% in year one ) and will fund the deficit.

New high street businesses are attracted and some actually move in and start trading.

The media gets wind of this and we get positive news coverage. The news ends with people e mailing and tweeting Granada reports from other north west borough saying well done Rochdale.

My original post applauded all of the positives in the above even with some obvious concerns about what services will suffer as a result of the move.

You poured cold water on the news without even recognising what benefits this Might bring to the town centre.

Your user name is accurate ... So yep .. People like you.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:03 - Aug 20 with 3166 viewsrochdaleriddler

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:02 - Aug 20 by aleanddale

So the town is struggling badly...

The council take a bold step to underwrite new business rates for 24 months ( 80% in year one ) and will fund the deficit.

New high street businesses are attracted and some actually move in and start trading.

The media gets wind of this and we get positive news coverage. The news ends with people e mailing and tweeting Granada reports from other north west borough saying well done Rochdale.

My original post applauded all of the positives in the above even with some obvious concerns about what services will suffer as a result of the move.

You poured cold water on the news without even recognising what benefits this Might bring to the town centre.

Your user name is accurate ... So yep .. People like you.

the council that is thwarting the attempts by RAFC to buy the club, that has wasted millions on the riverside white elephant. the same council that cant maintain its roads, look after the elderly yep they are truly great. Enjoy

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:04 - Aug 20 with 3164 viewsrochdaleriddler

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 21:53 - Aug 19 by D_Alien

You're just trash, and have the ability to see and speak only through your arsehole. No qualms in stating that whatsoever.

so i express a view and im trash, sorry keyboard warrier

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:57 - Aug 20 with 3127 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:04 - Aug 20 by rochdaleriddler

so i express a view and im trash, sorry keyboard warrier

That's ok. Just thought you'd like to know how it feels to have negativity thrown at you. Maybe if you stopped being so bloody negative yourself, it wouldn't happen.

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 12:11 - Aug 20 with 3050 viewsrod_leach

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:03 - Aug 20 by rochdaleriddler

the council that is thwarting the attempts by RAFC to buy the club, that has wasted millions on the riverside white elephant. the same council that cant maintain its roads, look after the elderly yep they are truly great. Enjoy

It's not a white elephant, so they haven't wasted millions. Roads are the same all over the country. Bad winters and government cut backs haven't helped. Not sure why you have a completely negative attitude. There's really no need for it.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 13:07 - Aug 20 with 2996 views49thseason

I am less worried about trying to improve the town centre that I am about £13.8m of uncollected council tax 2014/15
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 14:03 - Aug 20 with 2945 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:03 - Aug 20 by rochdaleriddler

Firstly, the Council is NOT thwarting attempts to allow Rochdale AFC to buy the club. Either get your facts right or stop making crass, ill-informed remarks.

Opening the river and exposing the rare mediaeval bridge is a clear attempt to improve the town centre, and thus attract business(es) and tourism. How can that be a white elephant ?

The roads are currently in a mess, because they are being maintained. Bit too obvious for you I suppose.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Login to get fewer ads

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:03 - Aug 20 with 2854 viewsWill_RAFC

Double post
[Post edited 20 Aug 2015 18:07]
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:06 - Aug 20 with 2844 viewsWill_RAFC

Another Pound shop coming to Rochdale - Pound World is opening in the old McDonalds building. So if you can't find what you want in Poundland, B&Ms, Home Bargains or the two independent pound shops further up Yorkshire Street, then your in luck!
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:27 - Aug 20 with 2827 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:06 - Aug 20 by Will_RAFC

Another Pound shop coming to Rochdale - Pound World is opening in the old McDonalds building. So if you can't find what you want in Poundland, B&Ms, Home Bargains or the two independent pound shops further up Yorkshire Street, then your in luck!

Whatever it is that you want, you won't find it in an empty, boarded-up shop, that's for sure.

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:58 - Aug 20 with 2803 viewsWill_RAFC

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 18:27 - Aug 20 by SuddenLad

Whatever it is that you want, you won't find it in an empty, boarded-up shop, that's for sure.

The town centre needs a variety of shops to attract customers - there is an ample amount of shops selling the exact same things. The same problem with phone shops, bookies, E-cig shops and bakerys.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 23:25 - Aug 20 with 2726 viewsmingthemerciless

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of shops in Rochdale worth visiting. Until this changes all the money spent on tarting up the town centre will just be money down the drain. I'm sorry to be a pessimist but realistically the time to save the town has gone.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 07:27 - Aug 21 with 2658 viewsleonardrafc

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 23:25 - Aug 20 by mingthemerciless

You can count on the fingers of one hand the number of shops in Rochdale worth visiting. Until this changes all the money spent on tarting up the town centre will just be money down the drain. I'm sorry to be a pessimist but realistically the time to save the town has gone.

Do you have any alternative ideas? Or should we just completely abandon the Town Centre and let it die?

When was the opportune moment to save the town? When did it pass? Why has it gone?

I saw a comment just like this on Facebook, a woman complaining about the lack of shops.... but then complained that any attempt to attract shops was "too little too late". Moaning for moaning sake.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:36 - Aug 21 with 2593 viewsmingthemerciless

The town I grew up in was well blessed with good, varied shopping. Let's just talk about mens clothing. You had Denis Hopes, Seniors ( two shops ) John Carters, Burtons, a couple of mens shops in the walk whose names I forget. Two more on Yorkshire street, Peter Pell ? A couple more in the Arcade that led down to the market. If you wanted a good suit you had Hymie Showman, Hyracan, Petrillo, Anthony Rudd.
If you wanted sporting clothes Butterworth had just opened.

Of all those only Denis Hopes and Butterworths still exist. If you want a pair of trainers and a shell suit modern day Rochdale is OK, for anything else it's off to Manchester.

Rochdale was on already on the slide but Thatcher era ripped the heart out of the town. When the Blair Government was elected the damage had already been done but they did next to nothing to arrest the slide.

Unfortunately Rochdale has a very low wage economy, until working people in the town have surplus cash in their pockets nothing will change shopping wise. Can you see that changing ? I can't, if any jobs come to the town all we seem to get is a succession of minimum wage / zero hours contract companies.

All this is without discussing the number of unemployed, economic migrants, asylum seekers that live in Rochdale.

Will the actions of this Government change the situation ? Not a chance I'm afraid. It'll just be more of the same.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:40 - Aug 21 with 2523 viewsTalkingSutty

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:36 - Aug 21 by mingthemerciless

The town I grew up in was well blessed with good, varied shopping. Let's just talk about mens clothing. You had Denis Hopes, Seniors ( two shops ) John Carters, Burtons, a couple of mens shops in the walk whose names I forget. Two more on Yorkshire street, Peter Pell ? A couple more in the Arcade that led down to the market. If you wanted a good suit you had Hymie Showman, Hyracan, Petrillo, Anthony Rudd.

Of all those only Denis Hopes and Butterworths still exist. If you want a pair of trainers and a shell suit modern day Rochdale is OK, for anything else it's off to Manchester.

Rochdale was on already on the slide but Thatcher era ripped the heart out of the town. When the Blair Government was elected the damage had already been done but they did next to nothing to arrest the slide.

Unfortunately Rochdale has a very low wage economy, until working people in the town have surplus cash in their pockets nothing will change shopping wise. Can you see that changing ? I can't, if any jobs come to the town all we seem to get is a succession of minimum wage / zero hours contract companies.

All this is without discussing the number of unemployed, economic migrants, asylum seekers that live in Rochdale.

Will the actions of this Government change the situation ? Not a chance I'm afraid. It'll just be more of the same.

You forgot Stewards menswear shop halfway up Drake Street, it's closing down sale lasted about 5 years!!
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:02 - Aug 21 with 2474 viewsflyerdale

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:36 - Aug 21 by mingthemerciless

There wasn't online shopping then though, the demographics of shopping have shifted completely since those days starting with supermarkets then out of town developments to online shopping. The council now has to look at the future not the past before there is most left at all in the centre. There needs to be plans put in place to attract more popular restaurants and bars to put their business our way.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 10:35 - Aug 21 with 2443 viewsD_Alien

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 23:25 - Aug 20 by mingthemerciless

We're not sorry you're a pessimist, but it must be one hell of a long life living it in that frame of mind, especially when there's evidence to demonstrate you're just plain wrong right before your very eyes.

[Post edited 21 Aug 2015 10:38]

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 11:12 - Aug 21 with 2402 viewsmingthemerciless

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 08:40 - Aug 21 by TalkingSutty

You forgot Stewards menswear shop halfway up Drake Street, it's closing down sale lasted about 5 years!!

Err, not a shop I frequented. I was more a Seniors youth. I had all my suits made there when I could afford hand made suits.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 11:58 - Aug 21 with 2363 viewsrochdaleriddler

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 14:03 - Aug 20 by SuddenLad

Firstly, the Council is NOT thwarting attempts to allow Rochdale AFC to buy the club. Either get your facts right or stop making crass, ill-informed remarks.

Opening the river and exposing the rare mediaeval bridge is a clear attempt to improve the town centre, and thus attract business(es) and tourism. How can that be a white elephant ?

The roads are currently in a mess, because they are being maintained. Bit too obvious for you I suppose.

If its not the council holding up the sale please enlighten me. i was referring to no1 riverside the 50 million pound building, that is only worth 25 million, you know the one, it looks like a prison and was going to feature bars and restaurants over looking the river. The roads are not being maintained properly, i hope you are not referring to the junction works at john st whitworth road, that is the 3rd expensive attempt to solve a problem that didnt exist.
Finally this is a forum, people are allowed to hold their own views, if we all just came on praising all things rochdale, that would be boring indeed. The personal abuse some clowns resort to on here makes me wonder if all their positivity is a mask for some dark secret

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 12:43 - Aug 21 with 2322 viewsNigeriamark

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 15:26 - Aug 19 by HK_Dale

Do you need to be living in Rochdale to contribute? My family are all still based there but I live in London.

Would be keen to get involved though. Apologies, haven't looked at the link in detail yet, so may be asking questions that have already been answered.

You can pledge. In the section where it asks you to say where you live, you can just leave it blank, but you will still be accepted

Note to the organisers: May be worth having a drop down for "exiles" asking where they live.. As well as the current residents of Rochdale contributing, there are a number of us who are in a position to see business opportunities that could be filled by companies who are based in Rochdale
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 12:55 - Aug 21 with 2307 viewsKenBoon

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 11:58 - Aug 21 by rochdaleriddler

If its not the council holding up the sale please enlighten me. i was referring to no1 riverside the 50 million pound building, that is only worth 25 million, you know the one, it looks like a prison and was going to feature bars and restaurants over looking the river. The roads are not being maintained properly, i hope you are not referring to the junction works at john st whitworth road, that is the 3rd expensive attempt to solve a problem that didnt exist.
Finally this is a forum, people are allowed to hold their own views, if we all just came on praising all things rochdale, that would be boring indeed. The personal abuse some clowns resort to on here makes me wonder if all their positivity is a mask for some dark secret

I must admit i'm not a huge fan of the new council offices from the outside, but it has won National and International awards. As well as work place awards, so regardless of cost, at least what they've built is good for its purpose and therefore anything but a White Elephant.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 13:21 - Aug 21 with 2268 viewsSuddenLad

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 11:58 - Aug 21 by rochdaleriddler

I won't tell you because it is a confidential business agreement. The people who need to know, already know. You're not one of them.

Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 14:49 - Aug 21 with 2200 viewswatford_dale

The drop in value of offices is due to the way the Council has to value its operational assets. White elephant? oh yes, why build offices of that size and not have the staff to occupy the space. Makes the Olympic stadium look like a sound economic business decision. Plus it is not as though there are businesses queuing up to rent the building space either.

Other council highlights - £51m to save in 2 years, £3.6m deficit on business rates (the 80% reduction is a scheme that is also being introduced by Greenwich council and this is massively important going forward and very positive if you can find businesses to move there), £12m deficit in council tax, a council tax support scheme costing £16m (these schemes have been dropped by other councils) which could go towards the deficit and is completely bonkers by the way. Makes you wonder why the bigwigs at the council are on 6 figure salaries? After all why do they need a 6 figure salary when they are just allocating cost.

I think the Council's attitude is "cares not a jot" regarding the stadium considering they have far more important issues i.e. survival. I believe they only took a share, for no money, should there have been a dispute that requires settling between the RL and football club.

The views on the town will pretty much in 2 camps, which will be down to whether you are an exile or not and have seen the way that other council's are run, big hint - not like a 1960's labour housing association. The co-op is a great idea but will need major governance when money starts getting involved, otherwise best of luck with it.
Rochdale - positive comments on the town - Granada reports on 16:10 - Aug 21 with 2129 viewsD_Alien

"Finally this is a forum, people are allowed to hold their own views, if we all just came on praising all things rochdale, that would be boring indeed. The personal abuse some clowns resort to on here makes me wonder if all their positivity is a mask for some dark secret."

Actually, no - you're not allowed to hold your own views. And if you're not privy to the dark secret, you've obviously not been paying attention. Just keep an eye out people walking with a limp (left leg) next time you're up at Spotland.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024