Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Skateboard documentary. 21:10 - Dec 9 with 5970 viewsPommyhoop

Caught 'All This Mayhem' last night on World Movies.
I haven't got a clue about skateboarding and that but
this doco about 2 Aussie brothers dominating the sport
in the mid 90's is brilliant. I won't tell you anymore because I
don't want to spoil it . The only fella I'd heard about
is Tony Hawke and that was only through watching my nephew
play his video game years ago.
Here's a taster..

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Skateboard documentary. on 07:04 - Dec 10 with 5894 viewsPunteR

RAD

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Skateboard documentary. on 19:34 - Dec 10 with 5828 viewsLewes_r

I used to skate in the 80s.. Tis a great "doco"

Barnes it!

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Skateboard documentary. on 21:11 - Dec 10 with 5801 viewsqueensparker

Now you've got the taste for it Dog town and Z Boys is another brilliant skating documentary on the early days in California, as is Bones Brigade
Skateboard documentary. on 21:16 - Dec 10 with 5797 viewsbosh67

Looks the absolute b*llox! Love it.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Skateboard documentary. on 22:23 - Dec 10 with 5774 viewsPommyhoop

Skateboard documentary. on 21:11 - Dec 10 by queensparker

Now you've got the taste for it Dog town and Z Boys is another brilliant skating documentary on the early days in California, as is Bones Brigade

It's not the actual skating that struck me qp ( although that was good obviously,) it was more the tragic tale of the 2 brothers. I was surprised I hadn't heard of it or taken notice more.
It was also interesting to see that Tony Hawks is not universally adored by skaters.

Skateboard documentary. on 22:56 - Dec 10 with 5750 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Skateboard documentary. on 21:11 - Dec 10 by queensparker

You beat me to it mate. I've got that and the associated film that went with it but I've yet to watch the latter.
Skateboard documentary. on 22:59 - Dec 10 with 5748 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Any other old skateboarders on here?
I used to love going to the South Bank and anyone remember The Mad Dog Bowl in Old Kent Rd. That place was brilliant.
Skateboard documentary. on 23:38 - Dec 10 with 5728 viewsPunteR

Skateboard documentary. on 22:59 - Dec 10 by CroydonCaptJack

Any other old skateboarders on here?
I used to love going to the South Bank and anyone remember The Mad Dog Bowl in Old Kent Rd. That place was brilliant.

I dabbled between 87 -89. I could only do the ollie and kickflip.. just. There was a skate park in boston manor,anyone go there.?
Had these decks..Chris Miller Shmitt Stix and jason Jessee Santa Cruz . Odd shapes compared to the ones today. Had slimeball wheels..Cant remember the trucks.(Edit..-Independants.) Never majorly into it but met some cool people. Got me into hiphop,graff.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 0:26]

Login to get fewer ads

Skateboard documentary. on 23:53 - Dec 10 with 5712 viewsqueensparker

Skateboard documentary. on 22:23 - Dec 10 by Pommyhoop

It's not the actual skating that struck me qp ( although that was good obviously,) it was more the tragic tale of the 2 brothers. I was surprised I hadn't heard of it or taken notice more.
It was also interesting to see that Tony Hawks is not universally adored by skaters.

Well worth watching Dogtown and Z Boys for the same reasons mate, it's more a tale of how a bunch of really young kids from a sh-tty part of town with no hope suddenly become superstars, with all the good/bad that then entails. It's a really good film (think Sean Penn narrated it)
Skateboard documentary. on 23:56 - Dec 10 with 5710 viewsqueensparker

Skateboard documentary. on 23:38 - Dec 10 by PunteR

I dabbled between 87 -89. I could only do the ollie and kickflip.. just. There was a skate park in boston manor,anyone go there.?
Had these decks..Chris Miller Shmitt Stix and jason Jessee Santa Cruz . Odd shapes compared to the ones today. Had slimeball wheels..Cant remember the trucks.(Edit..-Independants.) Never majorly into it but met some cool people. Got me into hiphop,graff.

[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 0:26]

My brother was more into it than me, he was good, he had one of these from Buddies on Northfields Avenue and was down Boston Manor. Think it's still around somewhere.I was f--king useless at it

[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 0:05]
Skateboard documentary. on 00:03 - Dec 11 with 5697 viewsPunteR

Skateboard documentary. on 23:56 - Dec 10 by queensparker

My brother was more into it than me, he was good, he had one of these from Buddies on Northfields Avenue and was down Boston Manor. Think it's still around somewhere.I was f--king useless at it

I remember Buddies . I couldn't think of the name of the shop. Got my fly grip tape from there..lol.

Skateboard documentary. on 00:04 - Dec 11 with 5695 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I had a Benji board, ACS 580 trucks and White Yo Yo wheels which were super rare (normally red or yellow). When my son started skateboarding about five years ago I got it out of the shed and it was still in good nick. The last thing I had done back in the day was to cut and paint the then QPR badge into the griptape.
Skateboard documentary. on 00:06 - Dec 11 with 5682 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Stacy Peralta and Tony Alva were the main men back then.
[Post edited 11 Dec 2015 0:07]
Skateboard documentary. on 00:45 - Dec 11 with 5653 viewsPommyhoop

Skateboard documentary. on 23:53 - Dec 10 by queensparker

Well worth watching Dogtown and Z Boys for the same reasons mate, it's more a tale of how a bunch of really young kids from a sh-tty part of town with no hope suddenly become superstars, with all the good/bad that then entails. It's a really good film (think Sean Penn narrated it)

Ah ok mate, I'll keep an eye out .Just looked at the trailer and it looks good.
Another similarly themed doco but is surfing rather than boarding is Bra Boys.
Well worth a watch..

Skateboard documentary. on 22:06 - Dec 11 with 5585 viewsLewes_r

Bones brigade is ace. Lance Mountain is the man.

Used to skate a bowl near Vauxhall from time to time in late 80s . I was sh!t tho

Poll: Who do we want down with us and Burnley?

Skateboard documentary. on 10:18 - Dec 12 with 5544 viewsW13R

I started skating in the late 70's and there was a great indoor skate park in Brentford that also had the dogs bollox shop not far away from the park. I remember dragging my old man down there to choose and build my own board which had an Alley Cat rocker deck, ACS500 slalom trucks with Yankee Mach wheels. The wheels were shite so upgraded to a set of Bones which used to turn like the clappers especially with a decent set of bearings in them. Great days but sadly I was never as good as most of my mates with their great tricks and general nuttiness on a board!
Skateboard documentary. on 12:57 - Dec 12 with 5515 viewsmarkqpr

Safe Pommy, I've been deep into my skateboarding since the mid-eighties (alongside Hip Hop and Graff) and used to practically live at Meanwhile 2 (under the Westway at Royal Oak).

All This Mayhem is a great but pretty much biased account of the Pappas' skateboarding career. It tends to gloss over the fact that when they first went to America they were feted as being two great skateboarders and were given opportunities that most up and coming amateurs could only dream of receiving. Whilst at first they grabbed them with both hands and set about creating new standards in vert they quickly became aggressive towards those who suggested that they should be more respectful to those around them instead of being screwed up on coke/meth/speed and acid all the time. Skating has always been anti-drugs as we all saw Jay Adams and Duane Peters fall by the wayside because of them and skating did not want to be associated with drugs in any way whatsoever as most skaters were anti drugs and very protective of the sport. Their attitudes were detrimental to skateboarding and that's why they were marginalised rather than accepted by the skating community.

Check out this link for an interview with Hawk which breaks down the truth behind the 900.
http://skateboarding.transworld.net/news/tony-hawk-responds-to-allegations-made-

For a much better and at times quite sad documentary about another, better skater's own problems with drugs, Christian Hosoi, check this out:

Now I'm off to hit the mini ramp in my back garden before going down the Rangers to see us thrash Burnley.
[Post edited 12 Dec 2015 12:58]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024