Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Swansea Airport 10:12 - Jan 12 with 3348 viewsowainglyndwr

Why the hell is Swansea airport so none functional.
So many towns and cities around Britain and europe half the size of Swansea have fully functional airports that bring business and tourism into the area.

Example Exeter.
if the new barrage is to be built, to get investment into Swansea & surrounding area's surely we need the airport.
I do not mean full on such as Cardiff but a regional airport for internal and city hoping.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 10:13]
Swansea Airport on 10:16 - Jan 12 with 2996 viewsperchrockjack

Long running saga from when I was a kid.

It's said there would never be enough passengers.

We ve got CRdiff (chortles) as an international getaway.

Down to Swansea councils .again.

Personally ,I believe it could have been extended

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Airport on 10:34 - Jan 12 with 2960 viewsProfessor

Exeter is very much FlyBe's base and also has a market in Devon and Cornwall who are pretty remote from Bristol. Norwich would be a better example. A lot of its activity services the southern end of the North Sea oil/gas industry but has Flybe services to Exeter, Aberdeen and Manchester (the latter I have been on). It's key has been getting a KLM service to Schipol Amsterdam. I believe it is only two flights each way per day but does link you into the KLM/Air France network. Cardiff has I think the same sort of service. (Liverpool used to but it has finished).

Manchester is perhaps the most successful airport in the UK- it has great links to Amsterdam Paris and Frankfurt (the main European hubs) to the Middle East (Ethihad, Emirates, Qatar) and North America (New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta-the main hubs and to Florida, Toronto etc.). There are plenty of directs to anywhere in Europe, Pakistan, China etc.

I am not saying Swansea should go down this route (or indeed realistically could), but needs a service that can link into a hub-someone like KLM/Air France, Lufthansa or even BA need to be attracted to achieve this. I travel a fair bit and fairly large cities in Europe rely on such a service- Bordeaux for example links to Paris and Amsterdam and has only a handful of flights by budget airlines and daily series to Marseille and Lyon by AF. Hannover links to Amsterdam and Frankfurt with much of the rest holiday traffic
Swansea Airport on 10:37 - Jan 12 with 2944 viewsperchrockjack

Fly be is excellent .

We re regulars on the Amsterdam route and they are way better than the other budget operators

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Swansea Airport on 10:41 - Jan 12 with 2934 viewsSwanzay

Maybe you could ask MM what he plans to do with the airport...
Swansea Airport on 10:54 - Jan 12 with 2906 viewsMillJack

Because the Upper Killay residents are moaning c@nts?

Seriously, a huge amount could have been done with that airport, even if it's just for music festivals, etc. It is, to coin a phrase, a complete waste of space.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 10:56]
Swansea Airport on 11:13 - Jan 12 with 2865 viewsowainglyndwr

Swansea Airport on 10:41 - Jan 12 by Swanzay

Maybe you could ask MM what he plans to do with the airport...

I am sure that a business man living in london is on charge of the airport.
Didnt he take away the landing night lights to save on fees
Swansea Airport on 11:45 - Jan 12 with 2813 viewsClinton

Swansea airport is not in a convenient location for road or rail transport. Approach roads would quickly become clogged. It would be in just as inconvenient a location as Cardiff Airport. It would be ridiculous to think about developing the Swansea Airport site as a main airport just because theres a half-baked strip of tarmac there currently.
Add to that the issues of development when Gower is an AONB and its pretty much dead in the water isnt it? The outcry and controversy would be substantial. It'd take more than just having some planning officer fall asleep at the relevant meeting when someone needs to build a house.
A West Wales airport, should we ever get one, would be better situated on some site close to the M4 and with the possibility of easy links to the West Coast mainline. Only in that sort of location could it be a success. Im thinking down near Baglan ? or derelict land near Junction 46? or the Bridgend area ?
In those sorts of locations it even folk north of Cardiff might find it easier to access than trekking out to Roose where road access is poor and bus/rail access isnt the best.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 11:50]

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Swansea Airport on 11:55 - Jan 12 with 2788 viewswestwalesed

Never mind that, I'm off to Germany/Switzerland at the end of the month and once again I'm going to have to schlep over to Bristol. It's an embarresment that I have to leave Wales to fly abroad.

If they were to develop Haverfordwest airport in Pembrokeshire as a west Wales regional airport it would have a transformative impact on tourism in south west Wales.

Poll: Live in a country with no internet?

Login to get fewer ads

Swansea Airport on 12:11 - Jan 12 with 2752 viewsNogginthenog

The airport is dying on its feet they don't even have a cafe where you can get a cup of tea. Commercial flights have been tried unsuccessfully in the recent past. It is in the wrong place and surrounded by nimbys. I think it will also die as a light aircraft attraction eventually , its only advantage to attract flyers is the surrounding countryside. It is sad to see as I have been going there since I was a young lad.
Swansea Airport on 12:18 - Jan 12 with 2730 viewsJACKMANANDBOY

Build the lagoon and watch it grow!

Besian Idrizaj Forever a Jack
Poll: When will Duff Revert to 4 at the Back

Swansea Airport on 12:47 - Jan 12 with 2685 viewsPegojack

Swansea Airport on 12:18 - Jan 12 by JACKMANANDBOY

Build the lagoon and watch it grow!

Stick a couple of runways and a terminal building alongside the lagoon outer ring. Thinking outside the box, see.
Swansea Airport on 13:26 - Jan 12 with 2630 viewsdickythorpe

Did anyone ever fly from Fairwood with "Air Wales" circa 1999-2003?

Flights to Dublin were forever being diverted to Cardiff due to mist or fog.

The approach roads were far too busy and many got stuck in traffic jams.

The airport "experience" was non-existent. Lack of basic facilities were very off putting to those that wanted to commute from London Docklands airport and Dublin. It became a laughing stock on a par with the "side salad" you got with a breakfast at Pembrey Airport.

Air Wales were foolish with their money, if you remember they were the first sponsor on the Ospreys shirts.

Went bust very soon after.

The businessman that once had control over it was a bit crooked I seem to recall. He'd owned and managed a few petrol garages in South/West Wales area and disappeared almost as soon as he'd appeared!
Swansea Airport on 14:00 - Jan 12 with 2572 views1jack

I flew from there to Amsterdam, it was alright. There was a cafe and bar and it was great only having a 20 minute journey to the airport and free parking.

I also used to deliver around Gower when Air Wales was flying from Fairwood and the nimby's hated it, especially the true Gower resisdents, you know, the one's from England.
Swansea Airport on 14:03 - Jan 12 with 2566 viewsbritferry

Pembrey would be better to serve West Wales

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Swansea Airport on 14:10 - Jan 12 with 2550 viewsPegojack

Swansea Airport on 14:03 - Jan 12 by britferry

What was wrong with my idea? We could call it Briton Ferry International if you like.
Swansea Airport on 14:13 - Jan 12 with 2541 views1jack

Swansea Airport on 14:03 - Jan 12 by britferry

Good rail links too.
Swansea Airport on 14:32 - Jan 12 with 2520 viewsbritferry

Swansea Airport on 14:10 - Jan 12 by Pegojack

What was wrong with my idea? We could call it Briton Ferry International if you like.

and what happens when the tide comes in... plus, I'm a NIMBY

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Swansea Airport on 14:36 - Jan 12 with 2514 viewsPegojack

Swansea Airport on 14:32 - Jan 12 by britferry

and what happens when the tide comes in... plus, I'm a NIMBY

Only land at low tide, of course.
Swansea Airport on 14:37 - Jan 12 with 2510 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea Airport on 13:26 - Jan 12 by dickythorpe

The airport "experience" was non-existent. Lack of basic facilities were very off putting to those that wanted to commute from London Docklands airport and Dublin. It became a laughing stock on a par with the "side salad" you got with a breakfast at Pembrey Airport.

Air Wales were foolish with their money, if you remember they were the first sponsor on the Ospreys shirts.

The businessman that once had control over it was a bit crooked I seem to recall. He'd owned and managed a few petrol garages in South/West Wales area and disappeared almost as soon as he'd appeared!

Yes, I flew from Fairwood to London City with a change at Cardiff and thought it was pretty good value. The only problem at that time was that the journey to docklands from central London wasn't very convenient. I think there were also flights to Paris and Amsterdam via Cardiff. I took the AW Paris fllght from Cardiff, but by that time Swansea Airport had been abandoned. They flew ATR 42s and the flights could be quite atmospheric with a distinctively Welsh atmosphere.

I think the final straw for Air Wales at Swansea was that the CAA required the runway landing lights to be upgraded at considerable cost, Currently there is no license for night landings,
Swansea Airport on 14:40 - Jan 12 with 2505 viewsAnotherJohn

Swansea Airport on 14:10 - Jan 12 by Pegojack

Dundee's Riverside Airport is a similar location right by the Tay estuary.
Swansea Airport on 15:49 - Jan 12 with 2434 viewsmax936

Spot on Jarv but it would have to be by a private investor as there'll be no money for such a venture coming from the Welsh Assembly.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Swansea Airport on 16:48 - Jan 12 with 2375 viewsDr_Winston

Swansea Airport on 11:45 - Jan 12 by Clinton

Swansea airport is not in a convenient location for road or rail transport. Approach roads would quickly become clogged. It would be in just as inconvenient a location as Cardiff Airport. It would be ridiculous to think about developing the Swansea Airport site as a main airport just because theres a half-baked strip of tarmac there currently.
Add to that the issues of development when Gower is an AONB and its pretty much dead in the water isnt it? The outcry and controversy would be substantial. It'd take more than just having some planning officer fall asleep at the relevant meeting when someone needs to build a house.
A West Wales airport, should we ever get one, would be better situated on some site close to the M4 and with the possibility of easy links to the West Coast mainline. Only in that sort of location could it be a success. Im thinking down near Baglan ? or derelict land near Junction 46? or the Bridgend area ?
In those sorts of locations it even folk north of Cardiff might find it easier to access than trekking out to Roose where road access is poor and bus/rail access isnt the best.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2017 11:50]

All of this.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Swansea Airport on 16:50 - Jan 12 with 2367 viewsLord_Bony

Not enough population in the surrounding catchment area to make it viable for operators.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Swansea Airport on 16:54 - Jan 12 with 2353 viewsDyfnant

Swansea Airport on 13:26 - Jan 12 by dickythorpe

On our return from Dublin, the plane pulled back up just before landing and did a spot of Gower sight seeing. Pilot said sheep were on the runway and firemen were clearing them off.

Poll: How much will SCFC spend on transfer fees this summer

Swansea Airport on 18:23 - Jan 12 with 2261 viewsjack2jack

Swansea Airport on 11:13 - Jan 12 by owainglyndwr

I am sure that a business man living in london is on charge of the airport.
Didnt he take away the landing night lights to save on fees

Roy Thomas?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024