Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Through thick and thin 17:39 - Jan 21 with 7393 viewsD_Alien

Today was thin, but the biggest disappointment to me was seeing fans deserting the team with 20-25 minutes still to play

Oxford took full advantage of a disjointed starting XI with players returning from long-term absence and clearly not fully match fit. They were let down by a midfield who were thoroughly outfought - I won't single out individuals for criticism. *

On the plus side, several players got match time under their belts. I felt sorry for Tanser, who did ok until his legs went, forcing Hendo into the fullback position late on; and Owusu, who can't have imagined making his debut in worse circumstances.

No criticism of Logan either, though a few idiots in the Pearl St were catcalling him. Why? He did well to keep rampant Oxford breakthroughs out until first the pitch let him down then an admittedly poor ball out which was no worse than many other balls played by those in front of him.

I thought McGahey had a good game. NML was rubbish today, when he should've been stepping up to the mark (*my one exception)

Oh, and the pitch. Those who expressed concern after the Hornets game last weekend were right - it's f*cked

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Through thick and thin on 19:50 - Jan 21 with 2416 viewsjudd

Professional footballers will come in for scrutiny.

Login had a shocker. He turned his back on the 4th giving him no chance to defend his goal. His distribution throughout way below his normal excellent standard.

Tanser looks to have gone so far backwards that he's probably a Trump voter.

NML and Allen should have been replaced rather than Andrew and especially Cannon unless injuries were the reason.

Pitch was the same for both sides but did look bad at the Pearl St end.

One of those days. They bossed us all over.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Through thick and thin on 19:57 - Jan 21 with 2371 viewssandy_dale

Through thick and thin on 18:56 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

Depends what you mean by "do well"?

The Oxford forward line were rampant with breaks from midfield and wide open spaces that Tanser can hardly be faulted with, plus very little protection from either NML or Hendo - until Hendo was brought back in the last 10 minutes with Tanser out on his feet and no subs left

The few opportunities he had going forward, he did ok with. None of the goals can be attributed to him. So whilst he hardly made a name for himself, imo he absolutely did as well as could be expected for his first full 90 minutes in L1 for quite some time

He certainly did enough to suggest that if fully match fit and given a couple more games under his belt, he'd be adequate cover whilst Joe Bunney is out
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 18:58]

I don't really agree on singling out individual players for today because as a whole the performance was awful. But the OP saying they have no criticism of tanser is abit absurd. He was very poor today, a LB that didn't contribute defensively, alongside NML who had more opportunities than any to make a difference and wasted all of them.
Through thick and thin on 20:40 - Jan 21 with 2264 viewsmikehunt

I gave Logan the benefit of the doubt for the first goal. How I saw it, he deflection the ball got off our guy kept the ball low and it went through an unfeasibly small gap between his legs. An inch either way and the ball would have been deflected. He just did not have time to readjust.
His distribution was well below par though. And got worse as he became more nervous. Not like him at all.

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Through thick and thin on 20:47 - Jan 21 with 2213 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 19:05 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

Pretty sure that a keeper is paid to keep the ball out of the net regardless of where and how the shot comes at him. Result of a mistake or not the keeper should not be conceding goals like he did today.

If you mess up at work when it's your responsibility, do you blame somebody else in your department etc because they made an error before you did?
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 19:21]

One of the things that became clear (and well-researched) when I was at work was that errors are rarely the result of individual negligence - rather the result of a series of smaller mistakes that ends up with harm being done, sometimes with one person at the sharp end being scapegoated

So if a keeper is paid to keep the ball out of the net regardless, every f*cking goalkeeper in the entire football league is a complete tool and should be dropped the minute they concede a goal that might have been prevented by David De Gea?

As for responsibility, I'm pretty sure Logan will be mortified with the fourth and wouldn't shirk that.

Through thick and thin on 21:55 - Jan 21 with 2036 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

Through thick and thin on 20:47 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

One of the things that became clear (and well-researched) when I was at work was that errors are rarely the result of individual negligence - rather the result of a series of smaller mistakes that ends up with harm being done, sometimes with one person at the sharp end being scapegoated

So if a keeper is paid to keep the ball out of the net regardless, every f*cking goalkeeper in the entire football league is a complete tool and should be dropped the minute they concede a goal that might have been prevented by David De Gea?

As for responsibility, I'm pretty sure Logan will be mortified with the fourth and wouldn't shirk that.

I hope he is mortified about all four because he could have prevented all four goals. I've just seen the highlights back and I have not changed my mind.

I'm not saying he should be stopping everything but you're saying that if a defender makes a mistake the keeper should get a free pass and be allowed to concede without being held accountable as well. A keeper should be bailing his defenders out when the time comes, didn't do that today sadly.
Through thick and thin on 22:02 - Jan 21 with 1989 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 21:55 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

I hope he is mortified about all four because he could have prevented all four goals. I've just seen the highlights back and I have not changed my mind.

I'm not saying he should be stopping everything but you're saying that if a defender makes a mistake the keeper should get a free pass and be allowed to concede without being held accountable as well. A keeper should be bailing his defenders out when the time comes, didn't do that today sadly.

I agree he didn't bail out his defence - but the very phrase needs thinking about

For instance, 442 referred to Logan's position for the second goal. It pretty much comes about through having had to come out to try and bail the defence, because simply to have stayed on his line would've been fatal. So to me, he's being blamed for having tried but failed to bail out his defence!! See what I mean?

[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:04]

Through thick and thin on 22:11 - Jan 21 with 1945 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 22:02 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

I agree he didn't bail out his defence - but the very phrase needs thinking about

For instance, 442 referred to Logan's position for the second goal. It pretty much comes about through having had to come out to try and bail the defence, because simply to have stayed on his line would've been fatal. So to me, he's being blamed for having tried but failed to bail out his defence!! See what I mean?

He didn't need to come out that far though, he ended up outside the right hand side of his six yard box despite Rafferty being able to shepherd the Oxford player to the goal line in a wide position. He created the opportunity for the player who scored to have a shot on an unguarded goal.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Through thick and thin on 22:13 - Jan 21 with 1937 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

Through thick and thin on 22:02 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

If you come out for it in that situation you have to claim the ball, any keeper worth his salt knows that. The fact he didn't claim it put us in an even worse position and we concede
Login to get fewer ads

Through thick and thin on 22:27 - Jan 21 with 1887 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 22:13 - Jan 21 by PaulHeymanGuy

If you come out for it in that situation you have to claim the ball, any keeper worth his salt knows that. The fact he didn't claim it put us in an even worse position and we concede

Erm no... and clearly, you don't see what I mean

He came off his line to narrow the angle, as he's done on many, many occasions since he replaced Lillis and with a very high degree of success, including a couple of times today

But his excellent angle-narrowing abilities aren't going to bail us out against onrushing forwards every single time, and today the floodgates were opened - but not by him
[Post edited 21 Jan 2017 22:30]

Through thick and thin on 22:32 - Jan 21 with 1853 viewsRowZ

I may have been one of the Pearl St Enders "catcalling" Logan as you say... whatever that means.
1. Logan has been below par for weeks... thinking about it, could be since he banked his new contract (but shhhhhh don't tell anyone I said that)

2. Tanser clearly isn't good enough at this level and as we all like to say "trust in Keith"... well yet again, Hilly proves us all wrong and justified playing a variety of players out of position to cover LB in Bunney's absence instead of doing what (many of the posters on this forum said) and playing Tanser.

3. I love him, and love that he's Rochdale through and through, but Jamie Allen hasn't improved for nearly 2 years now, it's a shame but it was plain to see today.

4. Lets just move on from today, we have an excellent team and as I'm sure as others are, I'm proud to be a Dale fan right now, likewise I'm not afraid to say what I see and Logan was a disgrace today
Through thick and thin on 22:32 - Jan 21 with 1848 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 22:27 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

He came off his line to narrow the angle, as he's done on many, many occasions since he replaced Lillis and with a very high degree of success, including a couple of times today

But his excellent angle-narrowing abilities aren't going to bail us out against onrushing forwards every single time, and today the floodgates were opened - but not by him

I agree he's done it and been successful, it's just that twice in two weeks the decision making has been off when he's come out and it's led to goals. The defence didn't need him to bail them out for the second.

Through thick and thin on 22:35 - Jan 21 with 1832 viewsD_Alien

Through thick and thin on 22:32 - Jan 21 by 442Dale

I agree he's done it and been successful, it's just that twice in two weeks the decision making has been off when he's come out and it's led to goals. The defence didn't need him to bail them out for the second.

That's a matter of opinion, and given the inability of the defence to prevent Oxford from breaking through the back line I, for one, don't blame him for making that split-second decision to do so again

Through thick and thin on 22:37 - Jan 21 with 1820 viewsPaulHeymanGuy

Through thick and thin on 22:27 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

I know what you mean but unfortunately you are being stubborn and ignoring my point

I just watched the goal again. He starts to come, changes his mind and gets his position wrong and it's come back to cost us.
Through thick and thin on 22:59 - Jan 21 with 1750 views442Dale

Through thick and thin on 22:35 - Jan 21 by D_Alien

That's a matter of opinion, and given the inability of the defence to prevent Oxford from breaking through the back line I, for one, don't blame him for making that split-second decision to do so again

Agreed, he's right to make the decision. More a case of deciding whether the decision was right.

Seeing where he ended up and where the player was heading, it wasn't on this occasion.

Through thick and thin on 22:59 - Jan 21 with 1750 viewsDaley_Lama

The third and 4th goals were fantastic from an Oxford perspective.

Ignoring the bad bounce/miss-kick for the corner, twas a smart near post bit of tekkers to back heel it in.

4th goal. Their lad absolutely anticipated where Logan was going to kick it and was legging it long before. First time control and great finish ftom distance.

Ginger nutz up front deserved a 4 side round of applause when subbed, shame he gave it the willy world cup ears to the TDS.

Poll: DF in or out

Through thick and thin on 09:42 - Jan 22 with 1031 viewsrochdaleriddler

Through thick and thin on 22:59 - Jan 21 by Daley_Lama

The third and 4th goals were fantastic from an Oxford perspective.

Ignoring the bad bounce/miss-kick for the corner, twas a smart near post bit of tekkers to back heel it in.

4th goal. Their lad absolutely anticipated where Logan was going to kick it and was legging it long before. First time control and great finish ftom distance.

Ginger nutz up front deserved a 4 side round of applause when subbed, shame he gave it the willy world cup ears to the TDS.

Talking to an elderly Oxford fan in pub before the game, and he said ginger was a terrible player, bambi on ice!!!

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Through thick and thin on 11:32 - Jan 22 with 947 viewsaleanddale

Today was thin agree with the OP.

Logan had a shocker as did most of the 10 in front to be fair..

Hendo never stopped trying boy did we miss Rathbone and Lund...

10 wins from 11. We move on to more thick next week with a barnstorming cup tie.

Up the Dale.....

Oh agree fully with D_Alien the collective group deserved better from the TDS today based on the last 10 games alone!!

Exodus on 73 minutes surely the lads deserved our support and appreciation that we understand some days are just not meant to be!!

The calling out to Conrad was downright embarrassing.

Fair play to Oxford they won the 1st 2nd and 3rd ball all afternoon and we just could not deal with there energy and tenacity.

Looking forward to Saturday already for the response! We are much better than that!
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024